Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Shaw is back!

Mood

Default Re: Brian Shaw is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, was there anyone who thought he would be back? I don't understand it. Is he a terrible interview? Is there something we don't know about him that would cause teams to be concerned about giving him control of a locker room?
    Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it's his belief in the triangle offense. That system is taboo to many in the NBA.

I'm very happy he's coming back. I think he's great for player development, insight (to Frank and to the players), and tying in with that, the culture in general. This is great news for our younger players.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    With the addition of Steve Nash, that firing is no longer inevitable.
    True, he'll just have Nash coach offense..

if he manages to screw it up though...

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Not to over simplify but the hardest head coaching job to get is always your first right?
    That is true with any field. People will always go with someone they know, or someone who has experience elsewhere over someone who has never held that job and never worked for the company.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    That is true with any field. People will always go with someone they know, or someone who has experience elsewhere over someone who has never held that job and never worked for the company.
    Except in NCAA 12
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    Except in NCAA 12
    Yeah those *******s toss out head coaching jobs like it ain't no thang. I usually like to start up at some crap college and earn my stripes before taking on a big job.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry he's coming back because the guy damn well deserves to be moving up. Hard to believe that Vogel deserves a head coaching job more than Brian. While we need him as a pacer coach he needs to be given his shot a lot more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah those *******s toss out head coaching jobs like it ain't no thang. I usually like to start up at some crap college and earn my stripes before taking on a big job.
    Haha I was a coordinator at Alabama before getting a HC job at LSU... after 3 years. I just quit and started a new one as the HC of Indiana... our football is awful. Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread. About Shaw, he deserves it more than about anyone else I can think of but I think it is in his best interest to stay for a little while to further build his reputation and staying a crew aboard a sailing ship rather than jumping to become a captain of a sinking one.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Shaw deserves a head coaching gig, but at the same time, I'm happy that he's back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Shaw deserves a head coaching gig, but at the same time, I'm happy that he's back.
    I feel the same way. Maybe Frank can get tossed from a couple of close games this season and let Brian get that "experience" that some teams must feel that he lacks. Can't believe so many teams have let Shaw slip by.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    Not trying to be a downer but this does not say he is coming back. He's eager to return but thats all it says. If someone gives him an offer he can't refuse... well he may not refuse it. So I won't get excited until a contract with the Pacer's is inked.
    May be wrong, but I think Shaw is already under contract. That's why teams had to get permission to talk to him. Once again I may be wrong. Did he only sign on for 1 year last season?

I think this is all a part of paying his dues. He'll get a head coaching job soon enough.

I tend to agree with all of you that Shaw is a great assistant coach.

But I do have a question. How do we know that?

We know he was well respected when he was a Laker assistant and he was rumored to be Kobe's first choice to take over for Phil and we know Brian has been interviewed for head coaching jobs, but my question is what does Brian specifically handle as a pacers assistant coach? Do we know?

Do we know why he is well respected?

I am just curious, not trying to be argumentative, just would like to know why.

If someone who knows nothing about him were to ask me why he is a good assistant coach, I wouldn't know what to tell them.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

We know he was well respected when he was a Laker assistant and he was rumored to be Kobe's first choice to take over for Phil and we know Brian has been interviewed for head coaching jobs, but my question is what does Brian specifically handle as a pacers assistant coach? Do we know?

If someone who knows nothing about him were to ask me why he is a good assistant coach, I wouldn't know what to tell them.
    Most of us likely make those assumptions based upon the positive review from players and FO. In particular, Kobe's comments once Phil J. stepped down, and Bird's/Vogel's comments last year.

There were also some hints that Shaw had a big impact on PG this year through chatter in the press.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

PacerDude

I personally think Shaw and Vogel would be better if they switched positions...

PacerDude

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    May be wrong, but I think Shaw is already under contract. That's why teams had to get permission to talk to him. Once again I may be wrong. Did he only sign on for 1 year last season?
    I think he's just signing year to year contracts because of the possibility of a head coaching position with other teams

Just from what I've seen and heard, he seems like a quality player's coach (not like Isiah Thomas who was too buddy, buddy). Someone that can get the players, relate to them, and get them going in the right direction in terms of play and practice habits. As far as X's and O's though, I have no idea.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Just as I thought..

“It’s been a long offseason meeting with different teams about their coaching positions, but when it came down to it, I decided it was best to return to the Pacers where the future is very bright for the organization,” Shaw said by phone after working out Paul George in Los Angeles. “I want to be part of it.” Indianapolis Star

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Just from what I've seen and heard, he seems like a quality player's coach (not like Isiah Thomas who was too buddy, buddy). Someone that can get the players, relate to them, and get them going in the right direction in terms of play and practice habits. As far as X's and O's though, I have no idea.
    Not to get sidetracked, but I didn't think Isiah's problem was that he was too buddy, buddy. I thought his problem was players lost respect for his coaching ability. I didn't think he was a soft coach or a players coach, but rather he was that teacher you had growing up who thought he was the smartest person ever and yet didn't gain the respect of his students and turned out to be a fraud

Maybe I'm wrong, it has been a few years.

Not to get sidetracked, but I didn't think Isiah's problem was that he was too buddy, buddy. I thought his problem was players lost respect for his coaching ability. I didn't think he was a soft coach or a players coach, but rather he was that teacher you had growing up who thought he was the smartest person ever and yet didn't gain the respect of his students and turned out to be a fraud

Maybe I'm wrong, it has been a few years.
    I could see that too, but I always felt guys like O'Neal, Harrington, and even Artest got pretty close to him, maybe even too close.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Just as I thought..

“It’s been a long offseason meeting with different teams about their coaching positions, but when it came down to it, I decided it was best to return to the Pacers where the future is very bright for the organization,” Shaw said by phone after working out Paul George in Los Angeles. “I want to be part of it.” Indianapolis Star
    Great quote. And while I am sure that when the right situation for him pops up he'll be gone with a quickness, people tend to forget that he and Vogel have a relationship dating back to when Vogel worked for the Lakers. When Shaw was first hired and we were all wondering how we snagged him (and most of us were guessing it was Larry's influence) an article came about about the relationship between Vogel and Shaw - they are good friends and there is a lot of mutual respect there. When I read that quote it sounds a lot like poor traded DC talking about how he thought he was going to be a part of growing something special in Indiana. I think this season, the first with a training camp and full pre-season preceding it, will tell us a lot about Vogel's X's and O's acumen, but it's clear he's got the inspiring motivator part down. Coach Shaw sounds a lot like our players and I think that starts with Coach Vogel.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

It's always hard to tell how much credit assistant coaches should get isn't it (or assistant GMs for that matter).

As far as Shaw goes though, player development seems to be a particular strength, as this article describes:

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/4/1...indiana-pacers

I think his experience (both as player and coach), championship credibility, and ability to relate with players all work together to give him an edge in this department.

As for his other coaching skills, I don't think we'll really know until he moves to the big chair himself. But certainly he has the resume to inspire confidence.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

There have been enough positives about him over the years that he deserves a chance. May not turn out to be great but that's why he needs his shot. Others who were given opportunities were far less deserving.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it's his belief in the triangle offense. That system is taboo to many in the NBA.
    Why is the triangle offense taboo?

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Great quote. And while I am sure that when the right situation for him pops up he'll be gone with a quickness, people tend to forget that he and Vogel have a relationship dating back to when Vogel worked for the Lakers. When Shaw was first hired and we were all wondering how we snagged him (and most of us were guessing it was Larry's influence) an article came about about the relationship between Vogel and Shaw - they are good friends and there is a lot of mutual respect there. When I read that quote it sounds a lot like poor traded DC talking about how he thought he was going to be a part of growing something special in Indiana. I think this season, the first with a training camp and full pre-season preceding it, will tell us a lot about Vogel's X's and O's acumen, but it's clear he's got the inspiring motivator part down. Coach Shaw sounds a lot like our players and I think that starts with Coach Vogel.
    Got a link? I missed that quote

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Got a link? I missed that quote
    It was in one of the many threads about our off-season moves. Will try to find it...

Edit: Sorry, couldn't pull it up. I spent a good 10 minutes trying various search phrases I thought might trigger it, but as you might imagine there is a lot for DC as of late.
    Last edited by gummy; 07-26-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

38. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post: