Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Manu Ginobli...

  1. #1
    Rejuvinated dewman_32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Age
    42
    Posts
    157
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Manu Ginobli...

    This guy is a man amongst men. I'm not going to knock the Pacers for passing on him in the 1999 draft (damn near everyone passed on him twice as he was the next to last pick in the draft), but damn, just damn. How many NBA scouts missed this guy, I mean seriously. IMO he is more important to the Spurs than Duncan is. The Pacers need to hire the guys who do SA's international scouting. Manu, Parker, hopefully Mahinmi...

  2. #2
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    ....why now?
    DG for 3

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    I thought it was remarkably stupid how he didn't get the MVP of the 2005 finals. We had an answer for everybody on that team besides him.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,064

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    International scouting wasn't as big back then, and people didn't give as much credence to the skills of foreign players, which played a major part in him falling through the cracks which would not happen today. Today he most likely would have been a top 15 pick at worst.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Quote Originally Posted by dewman_32 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This guy is a man amongst men.
    Unless he's with women or children, of course.

  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    International scouting wasn't as big back then, and people didn't give as much credence to the skills of foreign players, which played a major part in him falling through the cracks which would not happen today. Today he most likely would have been a top 15 pick at worst.
    It's true, but blindness seems to come in waves.
    08 draft: Goran Dragic, Nikola Pekovic, Omer Asik, Luc Mbah a Moute all in the 2nd round, Batum and Ibaka late 1st.

    To be fair, Manu situation was similar to Dragic', he was a bit of a late bloomer, he wasn't extremely highly regarded even in Europe until after the draft. A nice big wing with good athleticism, not a reliable shooter, with a good long Euro career, but if someone said this would be a future top 30 player in the world at some point, people would've laughed.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Manu has been one of the best and must underrated players in the NBA for the past ten years, hall of famer for sure.

  13. #8
    Rejuvinated dewman_32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Age
    42
    Posts
    157
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless he's with women or children, of course.
    I bow to you good sir!

  14. #9

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Manu along with pretty much the whole Spurs team as a whole is overlooked.

  15. #10

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's true, but blindness seems to come in waves.
    08 draft: Goran Dragic, Nikola Pekovic, Omer Asik, Luc Mbah a Moute all in the 2nd round, Batum and Ibaka late 1st.

    To be fair, Manu situation was similar to Dragic', he was a bit of a late bloomer, he wasn't extremely highly regarded even in Europe until after the draft. A nice big wing with good athleticism, not a reliable shooter, with a good long Euro career, but if someone said this would be a future top 30 player in the world at some point, people would've laughed.
    Mbah a Moute went to UCLA, watched 'em play every Thursday and Saturday.

  16. #11
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Manu is a great player. International scouting should be a higher priority IMO because the foreign players can drop as steals into the second round. Some players I'd like include Alex Abrines, Marcelo Huertas and Jorge Sanz. Both Sanz and Abrines would be project players but we could leave them in Europe for 5-6 years and they could get awesome.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  17. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    The Spurs were one of the first franchises to draft players from outside the US. They deserve a lot of credit. However I would guess if we looked back through the drafts they missed a lot also.

  18. #13
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,585

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... and they could get awesome.
    Awesomization: the process of getting awesome.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Keep in mind that he also didn't come and play for the Spurs until 2002 (even though he was drafted in 99).

  21. #15
    Member mb221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    OC, MD
    Age
    30
    Posts
    300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's true, but blindness seems to come in waves.
    08 draft: Goran Dragic, Nikola Pekovic, Omer Asik, Luc Mbah a Moute all in the 2nd round, Batum and Ibaka late 1st.
    Not to nitpick but Mbah a Moute played college ball here so he was a known commodity.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to mb221 For This Useful Post:


  23. #16

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    He's why I'm going to end up most likely rooting for Argentina in the Olympics.

    It's awful. But I can't help it. I love Manu.

  24. #17
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manu Ginobli...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's why I'm going to end up most likely rooting for Argentina in the Olympics.

    It's awful. But I can't help it. I love Manu.
    Been thinking about the same. He's got to be my all-time favorite player to never put on the blue-and-gold.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Similar Threads

  1. A tale of how Manu Ginobli reunited with his lost dog
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 11:47 PM
  2. Ginobli says he played with broken arm in playoffs
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 08:12 AM
  3. Ginobli, Spurs bury Bucks on last-second basket [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 12:00 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 09:53 AM
  5. Manu staying with the Spurs
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •