Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51

Thread: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

  1. #26
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Amused that the rest of the world has closed the gap on us, and the world's undisputed #2 team hasn't beaten us in 10 years.

    The funny thing is, both of those assessments are actually true. It just show just how big a gap there was to begin with.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely agree that Spain is holding back, I'm just saying it doesn't matter. Team USA holding back takes away Spain's tactical advantage they had the gold medal game from 2008. The Redeem Team went too hard in the exhibitions in 08 and almost paid for it in that gold medal game. I don't expect to see the USA really put the pedal down until pool play is over to be honest.
    USA basically has pool play off also they have the 2 African teams in their pool and only have to finish ahead of them. I think they will still not show everything until after pool play like you said.

  3. #28
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    The difference between USA and everyone else is that the USA isn't allowed to lose. Even a meaningless friendly. Every dream team gets compared to the ones that came before it. A single loss is deemed as failure.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Carmelo barely touches a FT that was halfway through the rim anyway, and gets two points for it. Oh yeah, I'm sure that will go really well in the NBA....

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #30
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    You know, we give our superstars a lot of grief for flopping in the NBA, but Spain takes it to a whole other level. Ibaka may be the only person that plays physical on that team. Everyone else just looks like a fish out of water.

  7. #31
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Ive watched FIBA games for 20 Years now, and I still have no idea what a foul is. I don't even know what they think a foul is.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #32
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,015

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amused that the rest of the world has closed the gap on us, and the world's undisputed #2 team hasn't beaten us in 10 years.

    The funny thing is, both of those assessments are actually true. It just show just how big a gap there was to begin with.
    The rest of the world already closed the gap once. That's why we changed and started sending our professionals. There will come a day when our best isn't good enough. Unfortunately, it's not this year.

  9. #33
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    ...or next year, or 10 years from now....

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #34

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Of course - they are playing in Spain ;-) On the other hand - i like when any illegal contact is being whistled and it is not allowed to play rude.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  11. #35
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,015

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...or next year, or 10 years from now....
    It hasn't been that long since their competition was satisfied with an autograph. The Americans will be the favorite for a long time, but someone will surprise them. No, I don't think anyone here knows when that will happen. I would be surprised if we don't get beat within 10 years in the Olympics.

  12. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...or next year, or 10 years from now....
    The US had about 4 years where supposedly it was in doubt whether we were still the dominant basketball nation in the world. Like we had lost our mojo, and then all this talk about how the "gap" had finally been closed.

    Then Jerry Colangelo took control of the program in 2005 and the US Men's Senior team is something like 52-1 ever since. And even with the included subpar performances of our national teams in 2002 and 2004, you'd still be able to count the total number of US losses on one hand over the past decade.

    I guess the "gap" was so large to begin with that they now have pretty low standards for closing it.
    Last edited by d_c; 07-24-2012 at 06:41 PM.

  13. #37
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then Jerry Colangelo took control of the program in 2005 and the US Men's Senior team is something like 52-1 ever since.
    24 - 1 in Summer Olympics and World Championships. Your single loss was against Greece in the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Saitama.

  14. #38
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The rest of the world already closed the gap once. That's why we changed and started sending our professionals. There will come a day when our best isn't good enough. Unfortunately, it's not this year.
    Sorry, but no other country treats basketball the same way the USA does. Sure, if their was a world team vs the USA, yeah they could beat the USA. But when the US is putting their best foot forward, its not really close. Even today vs Spain, it was simple and they are just playing around. As was Spain, but still, USA won by 22.

    They closed the gap on worse talent. Until other nations start putting billions into basketball like the USA does, they wont catch up. Its the same reason US Soccer is behind. Our money goes into other sports. So unless countries completely change their culture, this wont happen any time soon. Certainly not within 10 years.

  15. #39
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    A world team vs the USA might win once on average in a 7 game series. 11 of the 12 best players would still be on our team.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  17. #40

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but no other country treats basketball the same way the USA does. Sure, if their was a world team vs the USA, yeah they could beat the USA. But when the US is putting their best foot forward, its not really close. Even today vs Spain, it was simple and they are just playing around. As was Spain, but still, USA won by 22.

    They closed the gap on worse talent. Until other nations start putting billions into basketball like the USA does, they wont catch up. Its the same reason US Soccer is behind. Our money goes into other sports. So unless countries completely change their culture, this wont happen any time soon. Certainly not within 10 years.
    Lithuania ;-)
    Actually this case proves your point about culture and shows that with a lot of LOVE (or money) one can tear down the mountains...
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  18. #41
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    24 - 1 in Summer Olympics and World Championships. Your single loss was against Greece in the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Saitama.

    And if the US lost one of those 30ish exhibition games you aren't counting, international fans would be the first to point out that the US isn't invincible. A bit hypocritical don't you think?

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Coop For This Useful Post:

    d_c

  20. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    24 - 1 in Summer Olympics and World Championships. Your single loss was against Greece in the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Saitama.
    I included all the "friendly" non tournament games in the record. As was pointed out, there is no doubt that if the US had lost one of these "friendly" games, people would point to it as an example of the US not being invincible.

  21. #43
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if the US lost one of those 30ish exhibition games you aren't counting, international fans would be the first to point out that the US isn't invincible. A bit hypocritical don't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I included all the "friendly" non tournament games in the record. As was pointed out, there is no doubt that if the US had lost one of these "friendly" games, people would point to it as an example of the US not being invincible.
    There is a reason that I only mentioned the Olympic and World Championship games. I don't believe that those "friendlies" matter.

  22. #44

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I included all the "friendly" non tournament games in the record. As was pointed out, there is no doubt that if the US had lost one of these "friendly" games, people would point to it as an example of the US not being invincible.
    Team USA is not invincible. If you would compare teams "on paper" - no doubt team USA is the best. But there are a lot of factors in Olympics which make US team vulnerable. For example: tournament format, political sithuation (for example if NBA will consider to use age restriction), referees, luck and so on. There were a lot of cases when superior teams lost. The game against Greece is one of them (i believe).
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  23. #45
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    That's the point.

    International fans say friendly games don't matter, but the second the US loses one of those games, the world waves the "we've caught up to the US" card.

  24. #46
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's the point.

    International fans say friendly games don't matter, but the second the US loses one of those games, the world waves the "we've caught up to the US" card.
    Not really. Friendly games do not matter even if the US loses all of them from now on. They are just friendlies. Coaches use them to judge players and find some plays or two that could work.

    It's just the media that blow this way out of proportion.

    As another poster said, USA is not invincible. But it's still the best team by a margin.

  25. #47
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    No, really. That's exactly how it would go down. You can tell in the crowd and player reaction the second we fall behind. Every friendly we play on the road, they treat it like it matters, even if the coaches don't.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  27. #48
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,436

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    As I watched Calderon get beet off the dribble by everyone he guarded, I hope he was laying low, for I have no desire to see that matador on the Pacers if that is all he has.

  28. #49
    Dutch Pacers Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    I agree that officiating wasn't all that yesterday, but it did annoy me a bit that they kept talking about it, for what seemed like the entire game. They were right saying that the players should not react and just smile. But with all the posts here, in a way it does remind me of the way we talk about Bulls and Lakers fans. A lot of people here complain that superstars get the benefit of the doubt most of the time, with FIBA rules it didn't seem to happen, but since most of those posters are now supporting the superstars, they should get the benefit. Doesn't seem right to me.
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

  29. #50
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    FIBA refs don't do superstar calls. They are just incompetent.

    NBA refs are the best in the world. The superstar angle frustrates people but at least when they blow the whistle they have a ****ing clue what they're calling.

Similar Threads

  1. 7/19 USA v GB Gamethread
    By Steagles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
  2. Gamethread 37 Jan 8 @ Phoenix
    By able in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 249
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 01:56 AM
  3. Week 5 GameThread vs Bucks
    By Believe_in_blue in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 11:20 AM
  4. Week 4 GameThread vs Broncos
    By Believe_in_blue in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 07:07 AM
  5. Week 3 GameThread vs Texans
    By Believe_in_blue in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •