Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Amused that the rest of the world has closed the gap on us, and the world's undisputed #2 team hasn't beaten us in 10 years.

The funny thing is, both of those assessments are actually true. It just show just how big a gap there was to begin with.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely agree that Spain is holding back, I'm just saying it doesn't matter. Team USA holding back takes away Spain's tactical advantage they had the gold medal game from 2008. The Redeem Team went too hard in the exhibitions in 08 and almost paid for it in that gold medal game. I don't expect to see the USA really put the pedal down until pool play is over to be honest.
    USA basically has pool play off also they have the 2 African teams in their pool and only have to finish ahead of them. I think they will still not show everything until after pool play like you said.

The difference between USA and everyone else is that the USA isn't allowed to lose. Even a meaningless friendly. Every dream team gets compared to the ones that came before it. A single loss is deemed as failure.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Carmelo barely touches a FT that was halfway through the rim anyway, and gets two points for it. Oh yeah, I'm sure that will go really well in the NBA....

You know, we give our superstars a lot of grief for flopping in the NBA, but Spain takes it to a whole other level. Ibaka may be the only person that plays physical on that team. Everyone else just looks like a fish out of water.

Ive watched FIBA games for 20 Years now, and I still have no idea what a foul is. I don't even know what they think a foul is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Amused that the rest of the world has closed the gap on us, and the world's undisputed #2 team hasn't beaten us in 10 years.

The funny thing is, both of those assessments are actually true. It just show just how big a gap there was to begin with.
    The rest of the world already closed the gap once. That's why we changed and started sending our professionals. There will come a day when our best isn't good enough. Unfortunately, it's not this year.

...or next year, or 10 years from now....

Of course - they are playing in Spain ;-) On the other hand - i like when any illegal contact is being whistled and it is not allowed to play rude.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

It hasn't been that long since their competition was satisfied with an autograph. The Americans will be the favorite for a long time, but someone will surprise them. No, I don't think anyone here knows when that will happen. I would be surprised if we don't get beat within 10 years in the Olympics.

The US had about 4 years where supposedly it was in doubt whether we were still the dominant basketball nation in the world. Like we had lost our mojo, and then all this talk about how the "gap" had finally been closed.

Then Jerry Colangelo took control of the program in 2005 and the US Men's Senior team is something like 52-1 ever since. And even with the included subpar performances of our national teams in 2002 and 2004, you'd still be able to count the total number of US losses on one hand over the past decade.

I guess the "gap" was so large to begin with that they now have pretty low standards for closing it.
    Last edited by d_c; 07-24-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Then Jerry Colangelo took control of the program in 2005 and the US Men's Senior team is something like 52-1 ever since.
    24 - 1 in Summer Olympics and World Championships. Your single loss was against Greece in the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Saitama.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The rest of the world already closed the gap once. That's why we changed and started sending our professionals. There will come a day when our best isn't good enough. Unfortunately, it's not this year.
    Sorry, but no other country treats basketball the same way the USA does. Sure, if their was a world team vs the USA, yeah they could beat the USA. But when the US is putting their best foot forward, its not really close. Even today vs Spain, it was simple and they are just playing around. As was Spain, but still, USA won by 22.

They closed the gap on worse talent. Until other nations start putting billions into basketball like the USA does, they wont catch up. Its the same reason US Soccer is behind. Our money goes into other sports. So unless countries completely change their culture, this wont happen any time soon. Certainly not within 10 years.

A world team vs the USA might win once on average in a 7 game series. 11 of the 12 best players would still be on our team.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Sorry, but no other country treats basketball the same way the USA does. Sure, if their was a world team vs the USA, yeah they could beat the USA. But when the US is putting their best foot forward, its not really close. Even today vs Spain, it was simple and they are just playing around. As was Spain, but still, USA won by 22.

They closed the gap on worse talent. Until other nations start putting billions into basketball like the USA does, they wont catch up. Its the same reason US Soccer is behind. Our money goes into other sports. So unless countries completely change their culture, this wont happen any time soon. Certainly not within 10 years.
    Lithuania ;-)
    Actually this case proves your point about culture and shows that with a lot of LOVE (or money) one can tear down the mountains...
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    24 - 1 in Summer Olympics and World Championships. Your single loss was against Greece in the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Saitama.

And if the US lost one of those 30ish exhibition games you aren't counting, international fans would be the first to point out that the US isn't invincible. A bit hypocritical don't you think?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Coop For This Useful Post:

d_c

I included all the "friendly" non tournament games in the record. As was pointed out, there is no doubt that if the US had lost one of these "friendly" games, people would point to it as an example of the US not being invincible.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    And if the US lost one of those 30ish exhibition games you aren't counting, international fans would be the first to point out that the US isn't invincible. A bit hypocritical don't you think?
    I included all the "friendly" non tournament games in the record. As was pointed out, there is no doubt that if the US had lost one of these "friendly" games, people would point to it as an example of the US not being invincible.
    There is a reason that I only mentioned the Olympic and World Championship games. I don't believe that those "friendlies" matter.

Team USA is not invincible. If you would compare teams "on paper" - no doubt team USA is the best. But there are a lot of factors in Olympics which make US team vulnerable. For example: tournament format, political sithuation (for example if NBA will consider to use age restriction), referees, luck and so on. There were a lot of cases when superior teams lost. The game against Greece is one of them (i believe).

That's the point.

International fans say friendly games don't matter, but the second the US loses one of those games, the world waves the "we've caught up to the US" card.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    That's the point.

International fans say friendly games don't matter, but the second the US loses one of those games, the world waves the "we've caught up to the US" card.
    Not really. Friendly games do not matter even if the US loses all of them from now on. They are just friendlies. Coaches use them to judge players and find some plays or two that could work.

It's just the media that blow this way out of proportion.

As another poster said, USA is not invincible. But it's still the best team by a margin.

No, really. That's exactly how it would go down. You can tell in the crowd and player reaction the second we fall behind. Every friendly we play on the road, they treat it like it matters, even if the coaches don't.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I watched Calderon get beet off the dribble by everyone he guarded, I hope he was laying low, for I have no desire to see that matador on the Pacers if that is all he has.

Dutch Pacers Fan

I agree that officiating wasn't all that yesterday, but it did annoy me a bit that they kept talking about it, for what seemed like the entire game. They were right saying that the players should not react and just smile. But with all the posts here, in a way it does remind me of the way we talk about Bulls and Lakers fans. A lot of people here complain that superstars get the benefit of the doubt most of the time, with FIBA rules it didn't seem to happen, but since most of those posters are now supporting the superstars, they should get the benefit. Doesn't seem right to me.
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

FIBA refs don't do superstar calls. They are just incompetent.

NBA refs are the best in the world. The superstar angle frustrates people but at least when they blow the whistle they have a ****ing clue what they're calling.