Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

  1. #1
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Which side will back up their smack talk?

    Gametime 4:30 EST on ESPN2.

    Starting lineups:
    USA
    Paul
    Bryant
    James
    Durant
    Chandler

    Spain
    Calderon
    Navarro
    Fernandez
    P Gasol
    Ibaka
    Last edited by Steagles; 07-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Will be a sloppy game I could see Spain winning. USA wont show anything(Spain wont either) I think the 3 chucking is basically just a decoy and wont show their real stuff until London.

  3. #3
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    My personal prediction for the game is a high scoring game resulting in USA 80-76 Spain. Ibaka, Gasols, Navarro and Calderon can only do so much against the waves of USA players.


    In the words of one offensive, (but mildly humorous) Facebook poster:

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    It could be interesting game. A lot of player talks. Some in form of jokes. For example, Rubio wrote Kevin kind of - "are you ready to lose!?".
    Actually, if USA will play against Spain like against Argentina - they will lose for sure.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  6. #5
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    USA defense looking decent so far, but the Chris Paul isos won't cut it.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  7. #6
    Gold Spidey PritchSlap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    24
    Posts
    84

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    So I'm guessing the US strategy is "play terrible so they won't know what's coming in the real game."

  8. #7
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by PritchSlap View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I'm guessing the US strategy is "play terrible so they won't know what's coming in the real game."
    Unfortunately I just don't think they have it together at all- yet.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  9. #8
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Call me Benedict Arnold, but I hate almost all of the players on the team and have a hard time rooting for them to win.
    DG for 3

  10. #9
    Gold Spidey PritchSlap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    24
    Posts
    84

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    With Dwight, this is a totally different game. Too bad Roy already played for Jamaica, because we could certainly use some defensive presence down low.

  11. #10
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Call me Benedict Arnold, but I hate almost all of the players on the team and have a hard time rooting for them to win.
    I really like Durant, DWill and James Harden, and dislike Lebron and Love. However, to me, when you put on the USA jersey, I can and must root for the USA.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  13. #11
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However, to me, when you put on the USA jersey, I can and must root for the USA.
    That's what I keep telling myself...
    DG for 3

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by PritchSlap View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Dwight, this is a totally different game. Too bad Roy already played for Jamaica, because we could certainly use some defensive presence down low.
    I'm not sure I would want to see Roy get beaten up by Ibaka and Gasol˛
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  16. #13
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    This international travel rule is going to kill the US transition game during the Olympics.

  17. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,260

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Melo and Ibaka have been fantastic. Wonder if there's a reason Marc Gasol's not playing?

  18. #15
    Gold Spidey PritchSlap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    24
    Posts
    84

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder if there's a reason Marc Gasol's not playing?
    He hurt his back or something in the last exhibition.

    *edit: hurt shoulder

  19. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This international travel rule is going to kill the US transition game during the Olympics.
    I wish they changed it in the NBA their travel rule isnt basketball. When I grew up playing you couldnt take 2 steps before you dribbled if you could I would of been such a better player(would of made me look much more athletic and a quicker first step)


    I have no clue why in every other level of basketball they play by real basketball rules but in the NBA they just ignore it(big reason why people dis like the NBA I know plenty of people who wont watch it because they say it isnt real basketball and with that rule I can kind of get their point.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  21. #17
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish they changed it in the NBA their travel rule isnt basketball. When I grew up playing you couldnt take 2 steps before you dribbled if you could I would of been such a better player(would of made me look much more athletic and a quicker first step)


    I have no clue why in every other level of basketball they play by real basketball rules but in the NBA they just ignore it(big reason why people dis like the NBA I know plenty of people who wont watch it because they say it isnt real basketball and with that rule I can kind of get their point.
    I can agree with your point there. I may be misunderstanding the international rule though. I took Fran's explanation to mean that you can't take ANY steps without dribbling first. The one Durant "travel" clearly showed in replay that he took one step and then put the ball down. If that's the case, it's going to be real difficult to play at any kind of fast pace.

    To me, that's no different than catching the ball in the post and making a pivot, but now the referees are calling it because the players are moving too fast.

  22. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can agree with your point there. I may be misunderstanding the international rule though. I took Fran's explanation to mean that you can't take ANY steps without dribbling first. The one Durant "travel" clearly showed in replay that he took one step and then put the ball down. If that's the case, it's going to be real difficult to play at any kind of fast pace.

    To me, that's no different than catching the ball in the post and making a pivot, but now the referees are calling it because the players are moving too fast.
    The only one I disagreed with was the Euro step I didnt think he traveled the other 3-4 were travels that dont get called at the NBA level.


    No you can catch the ball and pivot I mean everyone does that called triple threat which is basically what happens when you post up that isnt near a travel. Unless you change pivot feet or you shuffle your feet. You can pivot but you shouldn't be able to take 2 steps before dribbling. What Durant is doing is catching the ball and walking 2 steps before putting the ball on the floor and to me by rule that is a travel.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  24. #19

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can agree with your point there. I may be misunderstanding the international rule though. I took Fran's explanation to mean that you can't take ANY steps without dribbling first. The one Durant "travel" clearly showed in replay that he took one step and then put the ball down. If that's the case, it's going to be real difficult to play at any kind of fast pace.
    Yes, that's true. You can't take any steps before dribbling.
    Even playing outdoors, casually, we strictly obey this rule.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to DeS For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Folks, team USA learned a valuable lesson in the exhibitions before 2008, that is don't show all your stuff. They did in the exhibitions and it resulted in a gold medal game that was tighter than it should have been. Team USA is showing just enough to win. Watch how they use Lebron only in situations where they absolutely need to swing momentum. He will have the ball 2x as much in the actual olympics. You won't see nearly as much action for guys like Igoudala or even Westbrook who have been getting more than their share of isos so far in these exhibtions.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  27. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    FIBA refs make me appreciate NBA refs. ****, they make me appreciate high school refs.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  28. #22
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    I don't understand any of these post defense fouls against the US. That LeBron charge was atrocious too.

  29. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by DeS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, that's true. You can't take any steps before dribbling.
    Even playing outdoors, casually, we strictly obey this rule.
    Thats how it was growing up playing in Indiana too



    TJ that is pretty obvious I think everyone knows that Spain is doing the same thing though. If we shoot half as many 3s as we have this friendly season I would be shocked. LBJ, Dwill, Westbrook, CP3 ECT> are not going to settle for horrible shots like they have been.

  30. #24
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    The Lebron "foul" on Fernandez was the worst call since the no flagrant on Wade in the playoffs.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  31. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: USA @ Spain 7/24 Gamethread

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats how it was growing up playing in Indiana too



    TJ that is pretty obvious I think everyone knows that Spain is doing the same thing though. If we shoot half as many 3s as we have this friendly season I would be shocked. LBJ, Dwill, Westbrook, CP3 ECT> are not going to settle for horrible shots like they have been.
    I completely agree that Spain is holding back, I'm just saying it doesn't matter. Team USA holding back takes away Spain's tactical advantage they had the gold medal game from 2008. The Redeem Team went too hard in the exhibitions in 08 and almost paid for it in that gold medal game. I don't expect to see the USA really put the pedal down until pool play is over to be honest.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Similar Threads

  1. 7/19 USA v GB Gamethread
    By Steagles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
  2. Gamethread 37 Jan 8 @ Phoenix
    By able in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 249
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 02:56 AM
  3. Week 5 GameThread vs Bucks
    By Believe_in_blue in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 11:20 AM
  4. Week 4 GameThread vs Broncos
    By Believe_in_blue in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 07:07 AM
  5. Week 3 GameThread vs Texans
    By Believe_in_blue in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •