Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comic Con-stellations

Default Re: Comic Con-stellations

Oh good lord how did I forget this artist.

Jim Starlin

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get my stuff from Downtown Comics at 7301 West 10th Street.

They do an excellent job of collecting my books and keeping them till I get in to get them, which sometimes is a month or two. They have an in store subscription system that you don't have to pay any extra for. You just tell them what books you want and they pull them back & keep them for you till you get them.

They have some old books as well and are really good about getting you books you might want.

What side of town are you on?
    Ironically, I've been in the downtown Downtown Comics more than I've been in the 10th Street location, despite the fact that the 10th street store is about 5 minutes from my house.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I'm very much enjoying Transformers: Regeneration One. I just wish my LCS would order more than one copy. Forces me to get there right at open each time to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Ironically, I've been in the downtown Downtown Comics more than I've been in the 10th Street location, despite the fact that the 10th street store is about 5 minutes from my house.
    We must live really close to each other.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you are like me and read a lot of stuff apart from capes and tights (or just like zombies) you will like the new Gilbert Hernandez 4-part series Fatima: The Blood Spinners. It is out on Dark Horse, I just read the first two issues, absolutely weird, kind of campy but still with a lot of underlying meaning and depth, and awesome. Kind of like a combination of I am Legend and the Walking Dead, I really love it. Third issue comes out this month. I have to travel to Eastern Europe for work in September and this is one series I'll probably re-read on the plane.

Here is one review http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31...od-spinners-1/

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    If you are like me and read a lot of stuff apart from capes and tights (or just like zombies) you will like the new Gilbert Hernandez 4-part series Fatima: The Blood Spinners. It is out on Dark Horse, I just read the first two issues, absolutely weird, kind of campy but still with a lot of underlying meaning and depth, and awesome. Kind of like a combination of I am Legend and the Walking Dead, I really love it. Third issue comes out this month. I have to travel to Eastern Europe for work in September and this is one series I'll probably re-read on the plane.

Here is one review http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31...od-spinners-1/
    Looks interesting. I was a HUGE Love and Rockets fan. I'll give it a look on Gilbert's cred alone.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

I only read Manga. And free, online.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody here read the new BATMANcomics? (The New 52, "BATMAN") Just looking for someone to talk to about the first entry with the "Court of Owls". Very entertaining and they're actually generating a character out of it launching a new DC Comic "Talon".
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Constellations, I would read that and everything else if I had time. I started a new job in kind of a new field and spend most of my time reading reading about my new line of work. Probably owe it to the boss for taking somewhat of a flyer on me. But because of that, I am really limiting what I buy now. Only have time to read 3-4 comics on the weekend, it sucks!

Anyone reading Planetoid on Image?

I have not been very happy with Avengers vs. X-Men myself.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's been entertaining. Maybe more of a letdown. I just finished up Round 8 a few times. Not bad.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just finished up Round 9 of The Avengers Vs. X-Men. Great Issue. Also got the first issue of "First X-Men", so far so good.

I've also just got Issue #1 and #2 in for "Hit-Girl". All I can say is, Wow! Amazing.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    Just finished up Round 9 of The Avengers Vs. X-Men. Great Issue. Also got the first issue of "First X-Men", so far so good.

I've also just got Issue #1 and #2 in for "Hit-Girl". All I can say is, Wow! Amazing.
    Is Neal Adams drawing First X-Men or writing it? If he is drawing it I may have to pick it up.

On another note I think I'm about to drop the Secret Avengers. Book has no idea where it is going and seems to be months behind the rest of the marvel universe. Sadly it had promise to start with but just has fizzled.

Red Hulk needs to pick up the pace as well. Still a decent book but they need to add something besides making it the monthly monster mag for marvel. He is much better served when he is fighting against established marvel characters instead of trying to make him face giant Incan monsters and the like.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is Neal Adams drawing First X-Men or writing it? If he is drawing it I may have to pick it up.
    Both. The artwork is great, while were on the subject.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

So First X-Men is pretty good? I almost bought it last week but for some reason didn't. Las thing I need is another series haha but I might just have to indulge.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    So First X-Men is pretty good? I almost bought it last week but for some reason didn't. Las thing I need is another series haha but I might just have to indulge.
    Indeed, I just finished my 4th read of it last night.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Finished up Round 10 of AVX. Poop.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Before Watchmen: Rorscach

It's just pure amazing. If you enjoyed the movie, you'll love the series. You can follow any of them, they all have their individual series. Nite Owl, Ozymandias, Silk Spectre, The Comedian and Dr. Manhattan.

My #1 Manhattan just came in, can't wait to pick it up.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Just got my complete run of James Robinson's Starman from Amazon. Freaking AMAZING series. Tailor made for a movie series, if someone would just take the time to re-discover it. Truly underrated. Starman and Mage are my all time favorite books about reluctant heroes fumbling to find themselves and the hero within. The comic and the series itself, over 8 years or so really had some emotional resonance. If you haven't heard the book, here's a little review I found. I've been slowly collecting trades of old, favorite comic book runs, and this is in my top five all time. (Throw ZOt! and MAge in there, too. Unique spin on being a "superhero.)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

What are people's thoughts on digital comics? Initially I wanted nothing to do with it, but lately I've been finding myself buying any book that I don't want to collect digitally rather than in paper. It's very nice to have access to my comics at all times, and it's also nice not to have to worry about more storage space for the buggers.

Me either. Of course, I'm invested too far into it to drop it now. Plus it's supposed to set the landscape for Marvel NOW!.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    What are people's thoughts on digital comics? Initially I wanted nothing to do with it, but lately I've been finding myself buying any book that I don't want to collect digitally rather than in paper. It's very nice to have access to my comics at all times, and it's also nice not to have to worry about more storage space for the buggers.
    I like having them as a backup copy to what I have.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

When I was a kid...I used to collect over a dozen comic book series every month. But as I got older, my tastes became more refined ( when it comes to reading Comics ) and ( most notably ) paying bills took priority over wasting $$$ on WAY TOO many comics. As a result, I became more picky with which Comics I followed. I am still familiar with most of the Marvel universe as I grew up collecting them in the late 80s and 90s.....even up until 2 or 3 years ago.

But in recent years, I collected the following series....all well written stories:

- Re-make of the Squadron Supreme series by Marvel ( ABSOLUTELY loved the re-telling of this series with a real modern twist to the series )
    - Identity Crisis by DC ( very well written and the start of the whole DC Infinite Crisis anthology )
    - Nemesis by Marvel ( Marvel's dark twist on Batman )
    - Planetary by WildStorm ( One of the best Non-Marvel Comic Series that I have ever read )
    - Secret Invasion by Marvel ( at that time, the better CrossOver Series compared to DCs really confusing DC Infinite Crisis CrossOver that made ZERO sense in the end ).
    - Kingdom Come ( this was awhile back, but still very memorable. I still wish that some ambitious and passionate Director/Producer would make a Live-Action version of this Graphic Novel )

I can't recall any other Comic Books that I had collected over the years...but these were the best ones that I can recall off the top of my head.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-25-2012 at 02:41 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I have the 1st 80+ comics from "The Walking Dead" in digital format but haven't had a chance to really go through it. I can see digital comics as a viable option....but given that most of us grew up buying a physical comic book that we could hold in our hand while doing our best to protect it in those Comic Book "bag and board"....it's harder for those of us that grew up in "simpler times". I can see it as more convenient.....especially with everyone ( including kids ) having a smartphone and tablet....but it's unfortunate that it is likely that actual comic books will go the way of the "dodo", just like how foreign a tape deck is to kids these days.

Kids are just spoiled these days.....they can just click a button and charge a comic book to their parents Credit Card. I remember when it was fun to just drive to the Comic book store and spend up to an hour wandering around and reading the various comic books that came out.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Just got my complete run of James Robinson's Starman from Amazon. Freaking AMAZING series. Tailor made for a movie series, if someone would just take the time to re-discover it.
    If you have the time....check out Planetary by Warren Ellis. Although there was an overall 25 issue story-arc that tied everything together.....the vast majority of the issues were self-contained stories that fit into the entire story-arc. IMHO...I think that Ellis was writing the series so that it could easily be translated into a Television Series.