Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Donnie Walsh: "We have to go up a level"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnie Walsh: "We have to go up a level"

Let the speculation begin.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...after-year-R-R

Pacers president Donnie Walsh refreshed after a year of R&R

Donnie Walsh didn't have to return to an NBA front office position. Now 71, he spent last year relaxing at his Indianapolis home with his wife and dogs.

At the same time, Walsh wasn't going to turn down an opportunity if the right situation arose.

That opportunity came late last month when Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon needed to replace team President Larry Bird.

Simon could have gone outside the organization, but he puts a premium on trust. That's why he turned to Walsh, who spent 24 years with the Pacers before leaving in 2008 to become president of the New York Knicks.

"People used to call me up and say, 'You must want to get back in.' I really didn't want to," Walsh said recently from his office at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. "I enjoyed doing nothing. I did it very well. Me coming back here really happened very fast."

Walsh, who has made a flurry of moves in his first month on the job, offered opinions on a variety of subjects.

Question: Was there any hesitation in coming back?

Answer: "No, not at all. The minute Herb asked me, I told him I'll come back. We didn't discuss terms or anything like that. We'll always have a handshake agreement. I had to talk to Larry first. He told me he was going to go away for a year. I told him, 'I'll be here, and whenever you want to come back, you come back.' I want him to come back."

Q: How much did you miss the NBA last season?

A: "I had done this for almost 30 years straight with no break. It wears you down, so most of the year I was glad I was off because I hadn't been off before. I really felt like it cleared up my head. You can get worn down with this, so when I came back, I was feeling fresher. I remember coming in the door and thinking, 'What am I doing here?' But once I got in the groove, I got into it again."

Q: Are you the same workaholic as before?

A: "Oh yeah. I'm going to do it the same. I just may not be in as early and not as late as before. I get in around 10 a.m. and stay until about 6 p.m."

Q: Most front office people bring in their own personnel. But it was pretty obvious that general manager Kevin Pritchard would be elevated in the front office. How much did you know about him before this?

A: "I had dinner with Kevin when I first came back. I really didn't know him when I came in. Larry had already recommended him to Herb, (former general manager) David Morway was already gone, so when I walked in here, I knew he was going to be here. I've really enjoyed working with him. He's exactly the kind of guy I want to work with. I still make some calls, but he's really good at working the phones. I think sharing ideas -- he's been a general manager before -- is great. The way I see myself doing the job now, he's a perfect fit for me. I've got confidence in him. He's somebody I really enjoy talking about basketball with him."

Q: How is the franchise different from when you left in 2008?

A: "It's rebuilt. Not all the way, but it's getting there. They have a very good starting team. I think the feeling was when I got here we needed to strengthen our bench. If nothing else, getting positions we didn't have that were missing. I think we've done that. We had to make that trade (with Dallas) to get a big guy. Then we had to get a point guard to replace (Darren) Collison."

Q: Training camp is still about two months away. Are you happy with the way the roster looks today?

A: "We're going to spend the rest of the summer looking to see if there's anything else we can do. The reason is, you have to look at the other teams. I think New York is going to be better. Miami is going to be better. Miami ended up developing into a team. That's why they won the title last season. Brooklyn is going to be better. We have to go up a level. This team has taken a step each of the past two years. This team is together. They are really committed to trying to become a contending team.

Q: What other areas do you need to address on the roster?

A: "I don't want to get into it because I don't want to point fingers at any one position. I think we may be shy in a couple of areas. As you get closer to training camp, there are going to be players left out that are good. You want to be ready to get one of them."

Q: You wouldn't think this franchise made it to the second round of the playoffs last season with the way fans have questioned some of your decisions so far. What's your reaction to the criticism?

A: "I would tell them what I told them when I went through it the first time, and that is, 'Don't make judgments today based on what you think; wait until you see the team play.' I said that about Chuck Person and Reggie Miller. I notice a reaction right away when fans don't like something. Give it a chance, because I think we have the makings of a good team. That's the object. The object is not to get names you hear every day. It's about getting better. The one thing you don't want to do is mess up the strength of a team. The strength of this team is they all get along, they all play hard, they play together."

"He’s no shrinking violet when it comes to that kind of stuff."

- Rick Carlisle on how Kevin Pritchard responds to needed roster changes.

Re: Donnie Walsh: "We have to go up a level"

Well, "shy in a couple areas" clearly means they're trading Danny Granger for 2.5 Kyle Korvers and a pre-owned Gordon Hayward. Problem solved. Next.

Comment

It makes me feel like they know they aren't quite championship contenders, but also realize there may not be a good move to get there yet.

Comment

Comment

As long as the front office and ownership are really willing to do what it takes to 'go up a level' I'll be fine. I don't want any Jermaine O'Neal promises that aren't seen through to fruition. Show me the money.
          It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Comment

A: "I don't want to get into it because I don't want to point fingers at any one position. I think we may be shy in a couple of areas. As you get closer to training camp, there are going to be players left out that are good. You want to be ready to get one of them."
            Hey at least nobody can't say that the Pacers don't go after "left out players"
            @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

I have the utmost respect for Donnie, I truly do. But you can't play up your title-less multiple decade resume and expect educated fans to just lap it up. I have absolutely no doubt that Donnie Walsh (and Pritchard) are infinitely capable of building a "good team."

But it's not enough. It's why I get so frustrated when I see people reference the good things Donnie did in his first stint (if you can call it a "stint") here. He's good at his job, I'm grateful he was our GM for so long and took us to the playoffs as a small market in 16 out of 17 years or whatever it was.

But I want a championship. I want to be the best team in the league, not 5th best, not making the conference finals 3 outta 4 years. I want the Pacers to have an NBA title. And I'd LOVE if Donnie got to hold the O'Brien trophy over his head and look in the camera and tell me to eat a dick. I just don't think it's in him, nor unfortunately Mr. Simon. That's not a blight on Herb, but he's an old man now trying to keep his retail business afloat in an extremely different economy from when he built it. His interests are elsewhere, and you can't blame him for that.

I just can't shake this feeling of the franchise perpetually being cool with "good enough."

Comment

I can not explain to any of you how this is my own personal hell.

I have had to listen to this guy since the summer of 1985. That should strike at a lot of you seeing as how a lot of you weren't even born then.

It's like Groundhogs day, over and over and over again.

Nothing changes, even the words are the same.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                  I have the utmost respect for Donnie, I truly do. But you can't play up your title-less multiple decade resume and expect educated fans to just lap it up. I have absolutely no doubt that Donnie Walsh (and Pritchard) are infinitely capable of building a "good team."

But it's not enough. It's why I get so frustrated when I see people reference the good things Donnie did in his first stint (if you can call it a "stint") here. He's good at his job, I'm grateful he was our GM for so long and took us to the playoffs as a small market in 16 out of 17 years or whatever it was.

But I want a championship. I want to be the best team in the league, not 5th best, not making the conference finals 3 outta 4 years. I want the Pacers to have an NBA title. And I'd LOVE if Donnie got to hold the O'Brien trophy over his head and look in the camera and tell me to eat a dick. I just don't think it's in him, nor unfortunately Mr. Simon. That's not a blight on Herb, but he's an old man now trying to keep his retail business afloat in an extremely different economy from when he built it. His interests are elsewhere, and you can't blame him for that.

I just can't shake this feeling of the franchise perpetually being cool with "good enough."
                  Had it not been for the Bulls and some guy named Michael Jordan, the Pacers probably would have won the title in 1998. Had it not been for the brawl, the Pacers may have won the title in 2004. They clearly had the best team in the league in 2004 and it was almost as good a team as the 1998 team was. Donnie built a winner here in Indy and yes, he made some mistakes along the way. But show me a President or a GM who hasn't made any mistakes.

Larry Bird came in and cleaned up a mess left over from the brawl. He turned a hapless franchise around and has built a great core of players who the fans respect and that play well together as a team. Who knows how long Donnie will be here, but he has a much better starting position than he had when he arrived here the first time. We can argue and speculate on what the FO could have done, would have done or should have done, but he speaks the truth when he says that we should wait until we see this team play. I really liked the way the P's played this past season. They are a young group of players who will go through their growing pains. But how quickly we forget how that young team had the NBA Champs down 2-1 in the playoffs before Lebron woke up and went on an absolute tear (and the refs aided them every step of the way too).

Indy will never be able to lure a Lebron, a DWill or a Dwight Howard here via free agency. It doesn't matter if the team is being run by Larry Bird, Donnie Walsh or God. Being in a small market has it's obvious drawbacks and the true superstars don't want to play in Indy. The only way the P's land a superstar will be through the draft and we all know how the P's have had such great luck when it comes to being in the lottery. I want to see the P's win a championship as bad as the next guy, and I think we're on the right track and headed in that direction. It probably isn't going to happen this year or the next, but at least it's finally on that trajectory. The P's have a talented young core of players and the starting 5 is a tough group of guys who play very, very well together. The P's didn't land the 3rd seed in the east or have the 5th best record in the league because they sucked. They improved their bench, added depth at much needed positions and should finish in the top 4 in the east again. I don't think Donnie's going to be here long enough to make a huge improvement or muck things up too much either. But I don't think Donnie is as big a problem as Mr. Simon is.

Comment

Answer: "No, not at all. The minute Herb asked me, I told him I'll come back. We didn't discuss terms or anything like that. We'll always have a handshake agreement. I had to talk to Larry first. He told me he was going to go away for a year. I told him, 'I'll be here, and whenever you want to come back, you come back.' I want him to come back."
                    2 things... Another confirmation of Bird taking a year off?
                    And I though the first story was it was BIRD that asked that Walsh come back?
                    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by vnzla81 View Post
                      Hey at least nobody can't say that the Pacers don't go after "left out players"
                      I don't mind this strategy. Good risk-reward ratio.

Actually, the Pacers have had decent production from bargain bin players. Earl Watson, Flip Murray, and Dale Davis in his second stint come to mind.

Of the remaining guys in FA, I think Landry will be a decent upgrade at backup PF. Fits with the team we're building here too. Not sure how much money it would take to land him though.

Comment

Originally posted by wintermute View Post
                        I don't mind this strategy. Good risk-reward ratio.

Actually, the Pacers have had decent production from bargain bin players. Earl Watson, Flip Murray, and Dale Davis in his second stint come to mind.

Of the remaining guys in FA, I think Landry will be a decent upgrade at backup PF. Fits with the team we're building here too. Not sure how much money it would take to land him though.
                        Would adore it, even if Landry'd gone to Idaho State or something. Our bench frontcourt needs at least some sort of fairly consistent offensive option, that's a big blind spot for the FO as far as I'm concerned. Say West sprains an ankle and is out for a couple weeks. Hibbert double teams all day. That's my biggest hope for next year, when Roy gets hung out to dry outside the lane/up on the high block just cut to the hoop. Hill did it fairly well to start then that kind of faded. Not structured stuff, just basic basketball principles need to get instilled. "Monster with a decent J's stranded, CUT, and then CUT again."

Roy's got an OK jumper out to 16ish feet, but he really is a stellar big man passer, I hope we take immense advantage of it, specifically some weak side screen stuff to get Danny open on the opposite end.

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                          I can not explain to any of you how this is my own personal hell.

I have had to listen to this guy since the summer of 1985. That should strike at a lot of you seeing as how a lot of you weren't even born then.

It's like Groundhogs day, over and over and over again.

Nothing changes, even the words are the same.
                          THIS.

TPTB criticize fans because they don't believe, but we've seen it before.

When have they made a risky move that they thought could take the team to a true championship level?

As the team stands right now, they're lacking a big time scorer. I truly believe if an asset was traded in an effort to bring back that type of player, those of us who were critical would give them a true chance. Yet that hasn't happened.

I don't buy that this team cannot make a move.

Consider this: What if the team put both David West (and his expiring contract) and Danny Granger on the trading block to bring back a single talent for the future? If the hypothetical trade was made, you'd see the following:

The team immediately wouldn't be as good as before, but you'd see probably true potential to compete in the future. Yet this team seems content to compete with the talent as is. I don't believe they're talented enough.

I still have hope for the future though. Next season for instance the team could put a lot of effort in replacing David West with Josh Smith. I think that could possibly give this team a true chance to compete. Although not as offensively talented as the top tier, that team defensively would be superior to any team in the NBA. It'd be a true vision that we could buy into.

I think what I'm really getting at is if the team has a vision towards truly competing, and makes a concerted effort to reach those particular goals, fans will be behind it. But what vision do they have? Besides continually counting on the same talent that already got beat, to somehow surpass their potential. That is illogical.

And competing is all that is asked for. Take OKC- If they were to go lose in the finals to Miami each of the next 4 years (unlikely, but play along) I don't think anyone could blame them. They have everything a championship team needs. Dominate scoring. The athletic ability to matchup with any team in the NBA defensively, (even if that doesn't mean they necessarily translate to a great defensive team- matchups matter more in this case).

I think if the Pacers announced that Deron Williams this offseason was a major priority, and they made a major offer, (despite his supposed preferences) Pacers fans would have been extremely happy even if Deron came right out and said "I have no interest in Indiana." That would have shown the Pacers recognized a need for a talent upgrade and they made an effort. That didn't happen though.

Instead they overpaid Hill knowing that the team could at least maintain their current talent level. That just isn't right.

Take a look at our other local team.

Jim Irsay over the last decade made every move possible to make the Colts contenders. They *only* won one Superbowl. Yet the moves were made to allow that team to compete. They didn't play the loyalty card to guys who couldn't get the job. See how Vanderjagt was run out of town because he couldn't cut it. A front office MUST have that mentality.

It doesn't necessarily mean I'm unhappy with this teams offseason moves. I'm actually fairly happy.

I love the pickup of Green, Ian, and DJ. I think all of those are very smart, savvy pickups. With that said, this team could have actively at least made an effort to upgrade the starting five as well. That just didn't happen.

We'll see how this season goes and what we'll need coming into next season. But I can tell you, that if this team just blindly resigns West next season instead of going after Josh Smith, a player who is superior to West in about every possible way yet similarly priced, I'll be extremely upset.

I love loyalty. But sometimes they have too much loyalty to guys who just aren't getting the job done. As much as everyone loves each one of our starting five this team has their are these following weaknesses that must be addressed in some way. They are as follows:

*A gifted scorer
                          *Rebounding and defense from the PF position (sorry to pick on West, but the fact is he is NOT providing the defense and rebounding this team will need to beat Miami

Technically from a scoring aspect, you could consider each and everyone of the starting five an expendable asset. Since none of them provide that particular need, each one of them could be considered expendable if it mean bringing in that particular asset that can score.

And defensively I think every player except David West adequately defends their position to compete with the best.

This doesn't mean we all aren't excited about the incredible turn around this team has had. Doesn't mean fans are unappreciative. But I think I can speak for most of the fans on this board who are underwhelmed with this teams offseason moves. I am suggesting, that WE just don't want this team to be a good team that loses in the second round of the playoffs for the next 6 years. I'd say that if a move wasn't made to at least try to take this team to the next level, fans would be right when they're disappointed.

Last edited by mattie; 07-24-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I mean only one team wins it each year, its a finite number of championships. Yes its the goal, but its everyones goal, every year. The other guys are on scholarship too. You do HAVE to be good then be great, it is a building process or you get incredibly lucky and get the number one pick in a year that the #1 or #2 pick is Durant or Lebron. When people say just need to go for championships, and all due respect Heisenberg and Peck, what the hell do you think they are trying to do? There's no magic elixir. Pat Riley and Spoelstra didn't 'will' the Heat to the ring, two guys decided to stack the deck and it worked. It just wears on me, its so Indy call in sports talk radio.

Comment

I wonder if any of the skeptics out there note that Walsh said Miami, NY and Brooklyn will all be better this year. Add Chicago and Boston to that mix and you will see why some of us keep saying that as they are right now, the Pacers are a fifth or sixth seed. An injury to any of the teams could change all of that and make the Pacers higher or lower....... ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Comment

Working...
                              X