Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colts will black out if not sold out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts will black out if not sold out.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-colts...6252427.column

http://www.stampedeblue.com/

Even though the new NFL rule is that only 85% of the tickets must be sold in order to avoid a blackout, the Colts are deciding to to stick with the old rule and blackout any game that isn't 100% sold out. This sort of stuff makes you wonder why you even spend so much time following a team. Most people, I imagine, can only afford to go to a couple of games a year. Just going to a couple is pretty expensive. Yet they are saying that they are going to make all of us suffer by going beyond an NFL rule by blacking out the games themselves? Yeah, that's pretty much the last thing you want to do when you just cut one of the greatest players of all time and have a shrinking fan base. It's a complete screw over to people who have stuck with the team through the 2-14 season and the release of Manning. If the Colts somehow steal a game that isn't a 100% sellout, then don't you want that on TV in the CITY YOU PLAY IN so that in can encourage some people to come out later in the season and give the team a chance? What a stupid decision.

I said a couple weeks ago that the Simon's not allowing us to go after RFA's was the dumbest self-imposed rule I had ever heard. But this by far takes the cake. To self-impose a blackout that is harsher than the new NFL rule which eases up on restrictions is by far the most insane thing I have ever heard. When you have 2,000 season tickets at this point, it shows you that there is some weariness amongst fans. We cut one of the greatest players ever, so the last thing you want to do is penalize the remaining fans who are watching through the rebuilding process. You want people to watch on TV, or else you are alienating an already declining fan base. They have to be exposed on television or else this will have bad repercussions.

Finally, the taxpayers built the stadium while Irsay gets all the money that is made there. It's completely offensive that they are considering doing this. Hope it doesn't wind up happening.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-11-2012 at 12:17 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts will black out if not sold out.

I can't say it...
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

way to give back to the tax payers it shouldn't even be legal to go above 85%(if that is all you have sold the Colts have 95% sold the shouldn't be allowed to go over that imo) if you don't own your own arena pure greed.

In other news hope they don't sell out so I can watch my Bears live Beardown!!!!
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Very pissed at the Colts for even considering this.

Hope they sell out so we don't have to watch Cutler's Crew.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Indiana, welcome back to the bandwagon

I would personally like to thank Bill Polian for this bridge from the Manning era to the Luck era.

Way to go in making sure the team stunk so bad around Manning that they could challenge for worst in the NFL without him and end up in this position in the first place. No, phase out... no goodbye/retirement tour... no one last playoff run for Manning and company.

Instead we have that photo/video of Manning in disgust as Caldwell helped the Jets seal a playoff victory and unknowingly close the curtain on Manning's Colt career.

And now the team finds it hard to sell tickets... I wonder why?

I hate to say this but I hope Manning's return to pro football peters out. As much as I'd like to see him succeed while the Colts are rebuilding... I don't want to hear how a rehabbed Manning would've saved this team and had them as contenders instead of rebuilders. I'd rather the bandwagon Colt fans see Manning on IR and think "The Colts did the right thing... I guess they did know what they were doing!". That would be better for the health of the franchise as the Luck era tries to grow some wings. IMHO.

And NOT having Luck on TV so fans can see whether he has potential or not will only hurt the process. The Colts might sell a few more tickets due to blacked out games, and yet lose MANY more fans (casual or not)....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Just to be clear, if Polian were still in charge this would be getting EVISCERATED by all local media. None of the BS split revenue at 85+% stuff from Kravitz & Co that he's spinning hoping to get in good with the new management. And it's complete, utter, spin.

Mood

there will be some blacked out Colts games this year than....way to go Irsay. lets drive the fans away...
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aero For This Useful Post:

We just need some billionaire Colts fan to buy the rest of them
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

They're going to end up selling out, probably.

But this state is sure full of bandwagoners, that's for sure. Kravitz was right there.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

To be fair if they do accept the NFL rule of 85% they will have to share the revenue for all the tickets sold above that 85% threshold with the visiting team. So if they do use the 85% rule they could be losing a ton of money each week if they do eventually sell out.

With that said I still do not know why you let this information get out. Even if you do plan on enforcing the old rule for blackouts why say anything? It is just going to leave a nasty taste in fans mouth. Your coming off the worst season in a decade, you got rid of the guy who built this franchise from nothing, fired all of your coaching staff, and are in a complete rebuilding mode. So why say well if you fans do not turn out we will prevent you from seeing it at home.

Sometimes Irsay is his own worst enemy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-colts...6252427.column

http://www.stampedeblue.com/

Even though the new NFL rule is that only 85% of the tickets must be sold in order to avoid a blackout, the Colts are deciding to to stick with the old rule and blackout any game that isn't 100% sold out. This sort of stuff makes you wonder why you even spend so much time following a team. Most people, I imagine, can only afford to go to a couple of games a year. Just going to a couple is pretty expensive. Yet they are saying that they are going to make all of us suffer by going beyond an NFL rule by blacking out the games themselves? Yeah, that's pretty much the last thing you want to do when you just cut one of the greatest players of all time and have a shrinking fan base. It's a complete screw over to people who have stuck with the team through the 2-14 season and the release of Manning. If the Colts somehow steal a game that isn't a 100% sellout, then don't you want that on TV in the CITY YOU PLAY IN so that in can encourage some people to come out later in the season and give the team a chance? What a stupid decision.

I said a couple weeks ago that the Simon's not allowing us to go after RFA's was the dumbest self-imposed rule I had ever heard. But this by far takes the cake. To self-impose a blackout that is harsher than the new NFL rule which eases up on restrictions is by far the most insane thing I have ever heard. When you have 2,000 season tickets at this point, it shows you that there is some weariness amongst fans. We cut one of the greatest players ever, so the last thing you want to do is penalize the remaining fans who are watching through the rebuilding process. You want people to watch on TV, or else you are alienating an already declining fan base. They have to be exposed on television or else this will have bad repercussions.

Finally, the taxpayers built the stadium while Irsay gets all the money that is made there. It's completely offensive that they are considering doing this. Hope it doesn't wind up happening.
    Denver games will be available and I don't think they will have any trouble selling out.........

Mood

Thank God for piracy.

Looks like I'll be spending Sundays at a bar.

Mood

I think that is very greedy for a team that just cut the GOAT, the rest of the team and is in a rebuilding year.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Greedy and/or short-sighted...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Of course it's probably just a ploy to sell more tix now trying to scare some former ticket holders back into the fold or add some new ones. Then when the season gets closer and this whole blackout policy is revisited the Colts can claim it was just something that was discussed but never seriously considered. More of a "It was something that we could've done, but the organization from Irsay down to the players were unanimous in declaring it just would not be the fair or right thing to do. We want our fans to be able to see their team whether on TV or in person!"

------

-John Wooden

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Anybody still like Jim Irsay? The guy just does not care about the city the team plays in. It's why I always get so defensive when people criticize the Simon ownership of the Pacers. I wish Irsay could take a page or two from their book.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Anybody still like Jim Irsay? The guy just does not care about the city the team plays in. It's why I always get so defensive when people criticize the Simon ownership of the Pacers. I wish Irsay could take a page or two from their book.
    I know that at one time the Colts had about 5000 people on a waiting list for season tickets. Now, they can't see the place out. They have fallen a long way and after three or four more horrible seasons (and they will be horrible for that long or longer), they might have lots of empty seats....... Denver, meanwhile, will be sold out and working on getting to a superbowl. I saw someone here hopes Manning gets hurt and gets on the IRL. I hope he wins his fifth MVP and takes that team to the Super Bowl and wins......... Take that Irsay.......

I can say this, the Colts blacking out games will save me a lot of money because I won't have to spend nearly as much money on alcohol to black out while watching them.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Overreaction city. Wow.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm not going to get upset because the Colts are not going to implement a rule that is designed for the habitual blackout fighting teams, some of which are not going to use it themselves. The only thing short sighted here is to ignore the the fact that stadium attendance for the entire league has been down, and to say that the fans are fair-weathered and Jim Irsay is greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    What are your specific cases to which you're referring?
    Last edited by Natston; 07-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

This is Irsay's chance to be magnanimous. There will be goes that aren't sold out and he will lift the blackout and be a hero.

One think for JI to emulate: the Simons don't ever tweet drunken ramblings about 80s rock bands
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Oh you know like holding a city hostage for taxpayer money to build the stadium and then turning around four years later after you've cut the best player in franchise history and saying, "You ******** better buy tickets or no Colts for you!"

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: