Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 98

Thread: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

  1. #51
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if we paid Hill $6m a year and Hibbert $12m we wouldn't be the 6 seed even with the same players? I don't get it. At worst the Pacers stayed the same and no more than 2 teams who finished below the Pacers got better. 6th seed makes no sense to me.
    well, he assumes we would've used the extra 4 mil (which I doubt, considering we left 5 mil unused anyway / gave away assets for free).

  2. #52
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,873

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger is one dimensional. He can't drive to the hoop. He is most a spot of three shooter and his defense has always been sketchy at best and apalling at worst. No, he can't guard James but you could name just about any small forward in the league and he can't guard them either.....
    Instead of the "Thanks" option, I wish there was a "Your post is stupid" option.

    Granger drives and pulls up all the time and he's a very good defender. Nobody can guard Lebron but your comments about him not being able to guard others is absurd.

    Oh wait... you think Boston has improved significantly with the additions of Jason Terry/Courtney Lee and that the Nets totally rebuilt their team with the addition of one guy, Joe Johnson.

    I'm sorry but you're delusional and I view your opinions as awful.

  3. #53
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Another thing is Rose's game was mostly athleticism, and I doubt he'll ever be the same.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Instead of the "Thanks" option, I wish there was a "Your post is stupid" option.

    Granger drives and pulls up all the time and he's a very good defender. Nobody can guard Lebron but your comments about him not being able to guard others is absurd.

    Oh wait... you think Boston has improved significantly with the additions of Jason Terry/Courtney Lee and that the Nets totally rebuilt their team with the addition of one guy, Joe Johnson.

    I'm sorry but you're delusional and I view your opinions as awful.
    I could not care less what your view is. Granger cannot drive, he can't handle the damned basketball. That is the biggest weakness in his offensive game. He is a spot of three shooter for the most part. Granger's defense has been panned ever since he has been in the league. Coach K wouldn't let him see the floor in the World Championship games because Danny could not or would not defend.... I think that Boston's aquisitions and the return of two injured players makes them significantly better. Joe Johnson is a great player but they are also getting Brook Lopez back and they have made other moves. So, yes, I think that the nets have improved to the point that I would rate them ahead of the Pacers. There are other posters here who say the same thing. Do you take them all to task? You have not made one post yet that offers any true facts nor do you make any insightful analysis...... Perhaps you are a troll.......

  5. #55
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh wait... you think Boston has improved significantly with the additions of Jason Terry/Courtney Lee and that the Nets totally rebuilt their team with the addition of one guy, Joe Johnson.
    the Celtics will also add Jeff Green and Sullinger, who looks ready, plus a few minor pieces.

    I don't know if they are better, as always they depend on health. If Bradley recovers, if their vets are as good as last season, they've upgraded. In that case they would be probably the deepest team in the league. 9 guys who are starter level or close (KG,Rondo, PP, Bass, Lee, Terry, Green, Sullinger, Bradley).

    the Nets did very close to a total rebuild. They'll add Joe Johnson, they'll basically replace Shelden Williams with Brook Lopez (assuming health) and they'll have 4 times more of Gerald Wallace who played less than 25% of games for them last season.
    And while I'm not a big fan of Teletovic, I think he's a 5 times better player than Johan Petro, who was their main big off the bench last year.
    Also, Deron may be healthier.

    I don't consider them a major regular season force. It will take time for them to build good chemistry. It will take time for Teletovic to adjust to NBA basketball. Also, Brook Lopez may be very rusty at the start. And psychologically, they are likely to be bothered by Dwight rumors until the deadline.
    I expect ~45 wins.
    But I think they will be very dangerous in the playoffs. If we are #3 and the Nets are #6, I won't feel easy at all.
    Last edited by ballism; 07-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  7. #56
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,958
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    We should be better than last year, so I disagree strongly with Simmons. Our bench is better and our starters can grow as a unit, plus Hibbert and especially George have in no way reached their ceilings.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  9. #57
    Member pogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    498
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We actually paid Hill $8m Hibbert got more like $14m but we stayed the same. What you say is not true. Boston got better by having two injured players return and adding Terry and Lee. Brooklyn became much better with the addition of Joe Johnson and the return of Brook Lopez. NY got better by getting Raymond Felton. These three teams all have superstars. The Pacers do not have any and only one marginal all star in Roy Hibbert......... It is great to be enthusiastic about the Pacers but some of you really need to keep your feet firmly on the ground and see what is really happening......
    I have to disagree with you, Blu. You may have an argument with Boston, but no way are NY nor New Joisey heads and tails above with their moves.

  10. #58
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    NY, Boston and Brooklyn all made improvements. No idea how far it will take them, but you'd have a hard time arguing any of them will not improve.

  11. #59

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The biggest question is how effective DWade is going to be next year. Every year that passes is another year where his athleticism wanes....which is all his game really is. His time is short and it's a shame he's not a couple years older.
    yes. he had his knee drained and worked on this off-season. i think he has about 2 years including this upcoming one and he will drop off big time.
    he isn't terribly tall and as those high mileage knees continue to wear down, his effectiveness will quickly evaporate.

    and as far as olblu saying he isn't any higher mileage than any other 30 yr. old is silly.
    not many guys play his reckless style where they hit the floor after nearly EVERY shot they take. in fact i don't thin i have ever seen a player play like that. of course it is mostly in effort to milk calls from the refs and it works for him a decent amount of the time. but when you hit the floor after nearly every shot, especially after your 20's, it will catch up pretty quick i think.
    Last edited by clownskull; 07-21-2012 at 07:24 PM.

  12. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes. he had his knee drained and worked on this off-season. i think he has about 2 years including this upcoming one and he will drop off big time.
    he isn't terribly tall and as those high mileage knees continue to wear down, his effectiveness will quickly evaporate.
    Having James on the team will lengthen his career. He won't have to play as many minutes. He won't be the key all the time when he does and he will get more days off through the season... He will make many more all star teams before he is done. And even at the end of his career, he will be better than anyone currently on the Pacers......

  13. #61

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    "He will make many more all star teams before he is done. And even at the end of his career, he will be better than anyone currently on the Pacers......"
    good to know you can guarantee something like that.
    at the end of his career, he will be a taller version of iverson- a guy whose game relied on his speed and quickness and had none of those things left. i don't buy it he has many more all star games left in him unless he gets vote like yao ming got his.
    he will have to play as many minutes as the game dictates- and he had to play a bunch this past year.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:


  15. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    581

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quick quiz, who is the pacers 3rd oldest player?




    26 year old Tyler Hansbrough

    New York got older, Miami got older, New Jersey got older

    There is more than one way to improve. Most of our guys are moving towards their prime years, while other teams are on the other side of the mountain.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:


  17. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    581

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    I also love that Boston got better by getting rid of Ray Allen while Miami got better by acquiring him.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:


  19. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quick quiz, who is the pacers 3rd oldest player?




    26 year old Tyler Hansbrough

    New York got older, Miami got older, New Jersey got older

    There is more than one way to improve. Most of our guys are moving towards their prime years, while other teams are on the other side of the mountain.
    What you don't get is that the three teams you name won't stay static. They will get more superstars and they will keep on winning. The Pacers will never have one and they will be mediocre + or - a few games....

  20. #65

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    IMO hibbert isnt overpaid. Demand sets the market, and the market set Hibbert's price. if you're paying market you can't be overpaying.

    a player can become overpaid due to the guaranteed contract system of the NBA. if it later gets to a point where a player is making more than he could ever get in the open market at the time, he becomes overpaid (granger wasn't overpaid when he signed his deal, but he probably is now.) OR if a player somehow, someway gets a contract more than any other team would have paid (george hill is overpaid because no one else, I believe, wouldve paid him anywhere near 40/5).

    i dont believe that you can argue hibbert is overpaid because other better players make more. thats mostly a result of our max contract and salary cap system. hibbert makes almost as much as a guy like durant or lebron not because hes overpaid but because those guys are underpaid. if the market was allowed to set the price on durant or lebron without salary cap or max contract restrictions they would make 30 like ARod or Pujols.

    for lots of reasons we cant get durants and lebrons so we pay fair market value for hibberts. theres nothing we can do about it. but hibbert isnt overpaid.

  21. #66

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    i would also strongly disagree that west, DJ or green are overpaid. Mahimni maybe, but Ive seen him play like once and clearly wasnt paying attention to him so I cant make judgment. But west, Dj and Green are very fairly priced IMO.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to SkipperZ For This Useful Post:


  23. #67
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Simmons' biggest gripe was the we paid max for a center when it seems like the league at an elite level is moving away from big centers. If Hibbert is matched up with Bosh and not destroying him in the post then we are losing that matchup. But a big part of that is how poor the Pacers are at feeding the post. If they are going to continue to play West and Hibbert through the post this year we are going to need a lot better post entry passes to make it successful against the NBA's elite.

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skyfire For This Useful Post:


  25. #68
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,492

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger's game is predicated on shooting and he's not going to lose that stroke.
    I'm not sure he hasn't already lost it...
    But then again, he has horrible shot selection so maybe that is the problem. But bball IQ improvement at this point in his career seems to be expecting a little much.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  27. #69

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by SkipperZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO hibbert isnt overpaid. Demand sets the market, and the market set Hibbert's price. if you're paying market you can't be overpaying.
    Your definition of overpaid is not the usual one. Fans are comparing the contract to their prediction of the player's future value. Or put another way, you never overpay for a stock purchase because you pay the market price. Whether you "overpaid" in the eyes of others is based on their belief in its future value.

    As to Roy Hibbert, the win/lose on his "value" will be on his scoring. On D... we've seen his defense and shot blocking on the plus side, and his lateral slowness on the minus side. He can be compensated for, but Simmons has a point about that slowness being an issue with so many mobile forward/centers who can hit outside shots.

    But Simmons is also being simplistic. If Roy Hibbert bumps his scoring up to around 18 ppg on efficient shooting, no one gives a rip about a defensive mismatch. Pau Gasol used to get flak about his defensive liabilities. You know why you don't hear about that anymore, why Pau is now a good "rim defender?" Because Pau scores. Teams have to match up to him. That's the path for Roy.

    But if teams can take Roy out of the offense by fronting him, yes, he will be less valuable in the playoffs. Because in the playoffs, the defensive schemes and awareness are raised.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:


  29. #70
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Cynics always claim to be realists...From Dead Poet Society to Pacers Digest.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  31. #71
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    And option 2 was???

    Now, STFU Bill Simmons...what a wanker!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  32. #72
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,788

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Simmons always acts like he knows what he's talking about and he really doesn't in my opinion. I don't have any examples because I can't remember, but he predicted a bunch of stuff last year and was completely off. I really don't think he knows a lot about basketball except for when it comes to the Celtics.

  33. #73
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,975
    Mood

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure he hasn't already lost it...
    This is assuming he ever "had it"?

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  35. #74
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,420

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger is one dimensional. He can't drive to the hoop. He is most a spot of three shooter and his defense has always been sketchy at best and apalling at worst. No, he can't guard James but you could name just about any small forward in the league and he can't guard them either.....
    Idc what anyone says, you can't average over 18 ppg for 4-5 straight seasons and be one dimensional. Is he streaky? YES. Could he stand to find other ways to score? YES. But DG is a bonafide scorer in this league. To be honest I think Danny plays good defense, but often times loses his focus. At this point he is what he is, a streaky scorer who relies on spot up situations and straight drives to the hoop. Is he overpaid at 13 mil? Maybe. But he's a bargain when you look at comparable players (Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson). His contract stacks right up with Deng and Iggy where it should be.

    On a seperate note, I just don't think that 21 million for 4 players (one of which is our second best player) is a bad deal at all.

  36. #75
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,815

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Other than Miami, no team in the East is better than the Pacers.

    Boston is OLD- the addition of a 35 year old Jason Terry does not scare me. Pierce is 35 and KG is 37. The Pacers had a better record than the Celtics last season.

    Chicago- hemorrhaging key roles players to reduce salary and Rose won't be back for awhile.

    Atlanta- lost its leading scorer

    Brooklyn- they haven't been any good with Deron Williams and Gerald Wallace is over-the-hill and no game changer. Adding a 31 year-old Joe Johnson is not a game changing upgrade. Remember, the Nets were 22-44 last season. It's going to take a major improvement just to get back to .500. Robin Lopez is severely overhyped- he has no winning pedigree in this league and is coming off an injury.

    Philadelphia- an eight seed the last two years. They are getting overhyped because they beat a severely shorthanded Bulls team in the first round.

    New York- they added two 40 year olds. Marcus Camby and Jason Kidd circa 2012 are role players at best.

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN article by Bill Simmons
    By PacerPride33 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 01:29 AM
  2. Bill Simmons new article 2-guards
    By notque in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 12:45 AM
  3. Great article by Simmons
    By Shaggy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 12:41 AM
  4. Bill Simmons article
    By dannyboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:44 AM
  5. Great article by Bill Simmons
    By Dr Huxtable in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •