Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 98

Thread: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

  1. #1
    Member Wilk39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Logansport, IN
    Posts
    70

    Default Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Bill Simmons took some quotes from Game of Thrones and took a storyline from this year's NBA Free Agency. This is what was said about the Pacers...

    "If I die, weep for me."
    "You'll be dead. How will you know?"
    "I'll know."

    Remember the 48 hours after Game 3 of the Miami-Indiana series, when it seemed like the frisky Pacers were on the verge of (a) killing the LeBron/Wade era, and (b) sneaking into the Finals? That was fun. Now they're building around three overpaid starters Danny Granger (two years, $27.1 million), Hibbert (four years, $58 million), George Hill (five years, $40 million) a bunch of overpaid role players ($21 million next year for David West, Ian Mahinmi, D.J. Augustin and Gerald Green???) and one possible blue-chipper (Paul George, who absolutely stunk in the 2012 playoffs). Does Hallmark make "Congrats on locking down the no. 6 seed for the next few years" cards?
    I tend to agree with Simmons on this considering how much better the East is becoming, but yet it is the same team with a slightly better bench than last season and they carried us to the three seed. Again, I think it all boils down to PG tapping into his potential that will set us above everyone not named Miami or Chicago.

  2. #2
    Member Kosmo Yagkoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Valpo
    Posts
    46

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Pacers should be at least a number 3 seed every year for the next few years. Don't know where the number six comes from.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kosmo Yagkoto For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    #3 comes from the fact that other teams are improving. People are already assuming the nets will be a top 4 seed. Also people believe that the condensed schedule benefited the Pacers and a normal schedule will not see that same record replicated.

    Not saying I believe all that but the is the perception right now I believe.

  5. #4
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,414

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Simmons is always wrong when it comes to his predictions. This is actually good news that he is ripping the Pacers
    David "And One" West

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilk39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bill Simmons took some quotes from Game of Thrones and took a storyline from this year's NBA Free Agency. This is what was said about the Pacers...



    I tend to agree with Simmons on this considering how much better the East is becoming, but yet it is the same team with a slightly better bench than last season and they carried us to the three seed. Again, I think it all boils down to PG tapping into his potential that will set us above everyone not named Miami or Chicago.
    I too agree with him. The Pacers only real hope of improving is for PG to turn into a star this year. If he stays at the same level, they lose spots to teams who did improve their starters. Our bench is a notch better but that won't help when it comes down to crunch time in the playoffs. The superstars just pummel our nonstars.... I disagee with him about Hibbert, I don't think he is over paid at all. Look at what Brook Lopez got. I agree that Granger is WAY overpaid for someone who is sliding a bit every year and still is still a one dimensional player. Hill may be overpaid but not by much and another team would have made him cost that much. I like that he tied up for five years and we can see what he can really do........

  7. #6
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,050
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    I agree that the Pacers "big 3" are overpaid, mainly Hill. Granger and Hibbert are probably a little overpriced but not severe plus it's Indiana, to have players like that you got to overspend.

    West really distortes his other point since he makes about half of that 21 million, which yeah is probably too much, but again proves the point Indy has to spend extra to attract free agents, plus he only has 1 more year anyway.

    I think the Pacers will be anywhere from 3-6 seed but overall it won't be enough to ever make the Finals cause Miami will always be in the way.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  8. #7
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Hill is possibly overpayed.

    But please tell me how exactly Hibbert is overpayed when there were 2 other teams lining up to give him the same money.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    All I'm saying here is that every single year reporters talk about how all of these other teams have improved significantly, yet they never make the leap. I think the Nets will the a replicate of the Wizards back when their 'big three' was finally healthy again. Yeah, they had bigger problems than on the court, but they weren't good on the court either. Then you see that the Hawks and Sixers have lost talent while Boston lost one of their centerfolds, and all the while the Knicks aren't going to do anything more than last year and on top of that they've lost Lin.

    Same story, different year.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  12. #9

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hill is possibly overpayed.

    But please tell me how exactly Hibbert is overpayed when there were 2 other teams lining up to give him the same money.
    Because they were willing to overpay him also?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I too agree with him. The Pacers only real hope of improving is for PG to turn into a star this year. If he stays at the same level, they lose spots to teams who did improve their starters. Our bench is a notch better but that won't help when it comes down to crunch time in the playoffs. The superstars just pummel our nonstars.... I disagee with him about Hibbert, I don't think he is over paid at all. Look at what Brook Lopez got. I agree that Granger is WAY overpaid for someone who is sliding a bit every year and still is still a one dimensional player. Hill may be overpaid but not by much and another team would have made him cost that much. I like that he tied up for five years and we can see what he can really do........
    Granger is not one dimensional. On offense he has many different ways of scoring, whether it's getting to the line, posting up smaller forwards or using his range. And on defense he does a decent job of guarding 3's, can defend some 4's and 2's. I agree his shooting was way off last year, but his defense wasn't bad, and yeah, he can't stop Lebron, but name a player in the league that can...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I'm saying here is that every single year reporters talk about how all of these other teams have improved significantly, yet they never make the leap. I think the Nets will the a replicate of the Wizards back when their 'big three' was finally healthy again. Yeah, they had bigger problems than on the court, but they weren't good on the court either. Then you see that the Hawks and Sixers have lost talent while Boston lost one of their centerfolds, and all the while the Knicks aren't going to do anything more than last year and on top of that they've lost Lin.

    Same story, different year.
    I'll agree with some of what you said, but disagree with other things.

    I think the Hawks will be very interesting. Will they be more versatile in what they do? That is what I want to know.

    The Sixers - I'm just not sure of anything about them.

    I think the Nets will be good if they remain healthy, and I don't think Boston lost much at all. Ray Allen was by far the easiest of their "names" to replace. He had already been moved to the bench. I think that is where he belonged last year, though.

    The best thing the Knicks did was to retain Mike Woodson. If he can get his big guns to buy into playing defense for an entire season, they can be pretty darn good. If not, then not so good.

  17. #12
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Yeah, I think Boston will be better than the other teams mentioned, on our par. But AT SOME POINT (lol) Pierce and KG have to start slowing down. And I think this is the year.

  18. #13
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because they were willing to overpay him also?
    Sorry bud, thats not economics 101.

  19. #14
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Hibbert is not overpayed. Before I am burnt at the stake, hear me out. He was a HUGE reason why we won so many games. Centers are at an all time premium. We HAD to keep him. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Max deal or not.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Hoosier for Life CreekShow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Muncie
    Age
    27
    Posts
    472

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I think Boston will be better than the other teams mentioned, on our par. But AT SOME POINT (lol) Pierce and KG have to start slowing down. And I think this is the year.
    PP is already noticeably slowing down. Its just a matter of how fast. Somehow KG played some of his best basketball ever last year. Seemed like he couldnt miss. I think he is better longer than Pierce will be. I still think Boston is getting worse by the day though. Its just a matter of time
    I Bleed Blue

  22. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger is not one dimensional. On offense he has many different ways of scoring, whether it's getting to the line, posting up smaller forwards or using his range. And on defense he does a decent job of guarding 3's, can defend some 4's and 2's. I agree his shooting was way off last year, but his defense wasn't bad, and yeah, he can't stop Lebron, but name a player in the league that can...
    Granger is one dimensional. He can't drive to the hoop. He is most a spot of three shooter and his defense has always been sketchy at best and apalling at worst. No, he can't guard James but you could name just about any small forward in the league and he can't guard them either.....

  23. #17
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,959

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Those contracts look cheap compared to the days when we were paying Dunleavy, Murphy, Posey, Ford and Tinsley for sitting. Then there was that 20M year we threw at a guy who averaged 40 games a year. Our contracts now look like a steal.

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PP is already noticeably slowing down. Its just a matter of how fast. Somehow KG played some of his best basketball ever last year. Seemed like he couldnt miss. I think he is better longer than Pierce will be. I still think Boston is getting worse by the day though. Its just a matter of time
    You are forgetting that they added Terry and Lee and they get a couple of players back from injuries. That makes them better than they were last year....

  26. #19
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,959

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    The Pacers have moved forward and will be right there with Boston, Chicago and Miami. Miami will not be any better next year and might be worse. Now, we will still lose to Miami unless we see significant jumps from at least two of our younger players.

  27. #20
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,959

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    The biggest question is how effective DWade is going to be next year. Every year that passes is another year where his athleticism wanes....which is all his game really is. His time is short and it's a shame he's not a couple years older.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  29. #21
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,231

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    West is not a role player, nor is he overpaid. Granger is not overpaid if you average out his entire contract, these last two seasons look a bit inflated though. Hibbert TBD.

    That said, its Bill Simmons, he uses exaggeration for humorous effect. You have to remember to take everything he says with a grain of salt.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:


  31. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The biggest question is how effective DWade is going to be next year. Every year that passes is another year where his athleticism wanes....which is all his game really is. His time is short and it's a shame he's not a couple years older.
    Wade isn't that old. Isn't he just turning 30?

  32. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers have moved forward and will be right there with Boston, Chicago and Miami. Miami will not be any better next year and might be worse. Now, we will still lose to Miami unless we see significant jumps from at least two of our younger players.
    The Heat added Allen and Lewis and didn't lose anything. How can they not be better?

  33. #24
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,959

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Heat added Allen and Lewis and didn't lose anything. How can they not be better?
    Oh yeh. I can't believe I forgot about Allen. I guess I agree with that. But Wade has logged a lot of miles and Allen too. The Heat are at the tail end of their dynasty period and if Dwight goes to LA, it's probably over.

  34. #25
    Member PaulGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Simmons Game of Thrones/NBA FA Article

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger is not one dimensional. On offense he has many different ways of scoring, whether it's getting to the line, posting up smaller forwards or using his range. And on defense he does a decent job of guarding 3's, can defend some 4's and 2's. I agree his shooting was way off last year, but his defense wasn't bad, and yeah, he can't stop Lebron, but name a player in the league that can...
    LeBron James....
    I'm a Beast

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN article by Bill Simmons
    By PacerPride33 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 12:29 AM
  2. Bill Simmons new article 2-guards
    By notque in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 11:45 PM
  3. Great article by Simmons
    By Shaggy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 12:41 AM
  4. Bill Simmons article
    By dannyboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 11:44 PM
  5. Great article by Bill Simmons
    By Dr Huxtable in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •