Thread: Newsroom changing writing staff

Default Newsroom changing writing staff

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...hbos-newsroom/

July 20, 2012, 9:43 am3 Comments
    Writing Staff Gets a Rewrite at HBO’s ‘Newsroom’
    By DAVE ITZKOFF

John P. Johnson/HBO

Jeff Daniels in “The Newsroom.” While the fictional TV anchor Will McAvoy is still getting acclimated to the team he’s assembled at his “News Night” program, his creator, Aaron Sorkin, is overhauling his own staff at his HBO series, “The Newsroom.” The online publication The Daily reported that Mr. Sorkin, the Emmy- and Academy Award-winning creator and executive producer of “The Newsroom,” is hiring an almost entirely new writing staff for a coming second season of the HBO drama. A press representative for HBO said in an e-mail that such changes were common at many series, adding: “Every year each show reassesses the needs of its writing staffs. This process is nothing out of the ordinary.”

Mr. Sorkin, who previously created and wrote many episodes of the television shows “Sports Night” and “The West Wing,” has taken some criticism for the first season of “The Newsroom,” which had its debut in June. Reviewing the series for The New York Times, Alessandra Stanley wrote that at its best it possessed “a wit, sophistication and manic energy that recalls James L. Brooks’s classic movie ‘Broadcast News,’” while “at its worst, the show chokes on its own sanctimony.” Viewership for “The Newsroom” has remained healthy over its first four episodes, drawing about two million viewers for broadcasts of new episodes and between six million and seven million viewers over multiple showings.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Newsroom changing writing staff

In his autobiography, Sorkin fires the writing staff at the beginning of the first season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I gotta admit I like this show. Interesting bit of news. thanks for the info.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Maybe not

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...room-critics/1

He disputed an "unsourced, untrue" Internet report that his writing staff was fired, even though Sorkin personally writes almost every episode. (He will, however, pay consultants for the show's second season, due in June).
    As for his use of real news events from the recent past, Sorkin says "I didn't do it so I could leverage hindsight into making our characters smarter, even though at times it may seem that way."

Sports Logo

Until Sorkin fires himself then the writing staff's the same.

Interesting note on the using hindsight of recent events though. Next episode's about killing bin Laden, that makes it a year or so after the first episode and we're only what, 5 episodes in? Figure 13 episode seasons, we're going to be up to present day in no time.