Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 85 of 85

Thread: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

  1. #76
    Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,447

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Pacers did have an analysis done about what their impact was on the city and it made what they spent a very good deal...... If they raise enough revenue from the patches, perhaps they can do without city money. We won't know until we see the results....
    I recall the analysis, but I thought the Pacers paid the vendor to do that. That would be called a conflict of interest. If it was independent, I'm perfectly fine with that. I just don't think the government should be handing out money to anyone without a true need...rich or poor.

  2. #77
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,673

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Please, someone of the tons of people who keep whining about this, tell me JUST WHAT YOU THINK IS FAIR FOR AN NBA GAME WHERE THE PLAYERS MAKE $48M PER YEAR?

    How many millions of dollars should an owner be required to lose before someone realizes that losing money is still losing money? $30M per year loss on $1B is 3% - 3% of a $40,000 salary (below the Indiana median income, by the way) is $1200 - a courtside Pacer ticket is $200, which is one half of one percent. Your argument is that the owner should be forced to lose 6 times more than a typical fan could pay for the best ticket in the house so you can watch the team for free?

    Quit complaining about the prices and TELL ME WHAT PRICE YOU WANT TO PAY AND WHAT QUALITY SEAT YOU THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GET FOR THAT PRICE.

    Otherwise, just start a campaign to run the team out of town so your share of the taxes (probably about $10 per year since you obviously can't afford to go out to eat downtown) can go to something else.
    You can get a court side ticket for $200 at a Pacers game? Wish I could get that down here for the Spurs!

  3. #78
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    I fear the slippery slope theory, but the 2"X2" shoulder patch doesn't really bother me at all.
    As far as ticket prices, I think I have 2 good seats mid arena and pay $25/seat. I think that's a fair price for live entertainment at the highest level of the sport. I guess my eyes were opened when I paid for live show tickets in Vegas and now pricing Broadway show tickets in New York when it's time to go there for vacation. Hell, 2 people can easily drop about $25 to see a first run movie here in Indy without the goodies from the concession.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 07-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  4. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    684

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    This is going to be very, very bad for me. I am so averse to advertising that I may eventually completely stop watching the NBA after this. I simply cannot stand corporate commercials and advertising. I take every available measure to block them. AdBlock, Netflix, DVR and fast forward, ect. If I can't escape the corporate ads anymore because advertising is all over the players themselves, that may be it for me. It may sound extreme, but I hate corporate advertising far more than I love pro basketball. I'm certainly not going to watch 48 minutes of corporate commercials.

    @OldBlu My current post count represents what I think about advertising on jerseys.

    @SycamoreKen I didn't say corporate sponsors shouldn't exist. I just want to be able to avoid them if that's what I prefer to do. It's not necessary to cover players with ads within games to sell products. I have no interest in watching that.
    Last edited by IndyPacer; 07-22-2012 at 01:41 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:


  6. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is going to be very, very bad for me. I am so averse to advertising that I may eventually completely stop watching the NBA after this. I simply cannot stand corporate commercials and advertising. I take every available measure to block them. AdBlock, Netflix, DVR and fast forward, ect. If I can't escape the corporate ads anymore because advertising is all over the players themselves, that may be it for me. It may sound extreme, but I hate corporate advertising far more than I love pro basketball. I'm certainly not going to watch 48 minutes of corporate commercials.
    Well, if this is your last post here, you picked an interesting number to stop on......

  7. #81
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,673

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is going to be very, very bad for me. I am so averse to advertising that I may eventually completely stop watching the NBA after this. I simply cannot stand corporate commercials and advertising. I take every available measure to block them. AdBlock, Netflix, DVR and fast forward, ect. If I can't escape the corporate ads anymore because advertising is all over the players themselves, that may be it for me. It may sound extreme, but I hate corporate advertising far more than I love pro basketball. I'm certainly not going to watch 48 minutes of corporate commercials.

    @OldBlu My current post count represents what I think about advertising on jerseys.
    You do realize without corporate advertising television, radio, magazines, newspapers, and most other forms of media would not exist?

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:


  9. #82
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,632

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    Maybe it's a generational thing, I don't know, but I'm 28 and I can't be the only one that sees advertisements EVERYWHERE in sports and just doesn't care right? I mean hell, they're advertising in video games now. Maybe I've just grown up with it so much that it's like it's not even there, I don't know.

    Until Superstar X does/doesn't sign with Team Z because they don't have so and so sponsor, I honestly don't get why it's such a big deal. Unless we're all of a sudden against the people that own the teams we love so much making money off of those franchises, which is a different argument. All the pro sports teams can't be the Packers, or just an NFL team for that matter. We just gave Roy Hibbert 58 million dollars over the next 4 years, where exactly do people think that money comes from?

  10. #83
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,391

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    Who's saying anything about objecting to advertisements? All I want is for them to leave the ****ing jerseys alone. I don't think that's too much to ask.

  11. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe it's a generational thing, I don't know, but I'm 28 and I can't be the only one that sees advertisements EVERYWHERE in sports and just doesn't care right? I mean hell, they're advertising in video games now. Maybe I've just grown up with it so much that it's like it's not even there, I don't know.

    Until Superstar X does/doesn't sign with Team Z because they don't have so and so sponsor, I honestly don't get why it's such a big deal. Unless we're all of a sudden against the people that own the teams we love so much making money off of those franchises, which is a different argument. All the pro sports teams can't be the Packers, or just an NFL team for that matter. We just gave Roy Hibbert 58 million dollars over the next 4 years, where exactly do people think that money comes from?
    You look so much older....... I am 65 and it doesn't bother me at all. It is just a change that was bound to happen and once it does and you it a few times, you will zone out and not pay attention to it. I am surprised there are not ads here on PD.....

  12. #85
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,908
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who's saying anything about objecting to advertisements? All I want is for them to leave the ****ing jerseys alone. I don't think that's too much to ask.
    See below. People of late are responding to that sort of sentiment, not to yours. As always, there are multiple related conversations going on in a thread.

    I understand that advertising is a reality that isn't going to go away, ever. And, like you, I'd still like it to stay off the damn jerseys.

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is going to be very, very bad for me. I am so averse to advertising that I may eventually completely stop watching the NBA after this. I simply cannot stand corporate commercials and advertising. I take every available measure to block them. AdBlock, Netflix, DVR and fast forward, ect. If I can't escape the corporate ads anymore because advertising is all over the players themselves, that may be it for me. It may sound extreme, but I hate corporate advertising far more than I love pro basketball. I'm certainly not going to watch 48 minutes of corporate commercials.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 11:04 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •