Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

Banned

Default Re: NBA Approves Advertising on Uniforms

I like it

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Patch is OK. I just don't want to see the sponsor name larger than the team name.
    Thats how I feel. Having one or two patches that are no more than 6 inches or so I can live with but this..

would botehr me.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Eli Lilly would have been appropriate a few years ago...

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate this. It's like the car dealerships who put their name all over your new car. You're basically paying them to advertise for them. If I get a jersey, it is to support my favorite team or player, not freaking McDonald's or Samsung.

Also, I hate soccer jerseys, and agree that it works in the WNBA because few people care that much.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't mind as much if the revenue from the advertising went directly to lowering ticket prices. Of course, that will never happen.

For once, it would be nice to see some of this new revenue, whether it be via uniform patches or television contracts, be used as a benefit to us, the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    At some point revenue has got to take a back seat to integrity. Just sayin.
    Another pipe dream to go along with my first pipe dream...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

I guess I'd be able to deal with a small logo in lieu of the Jerry West NBA logo, but I this has potential to be severely overdone.

Which leads me to wonder: what team will overdo this the most?

Ah i think itll be funny. Hopefully the bobcats are sponspored by Bob's nickel and dime store because no one else wants to.
    DG for 3

Which is worse, being a fan of the Indiana Pacers sponsored by Pepsi or being a fan of the Las Vegas Pacers?

If the NBA was making money, like the NFL, I'd be a little more upset by it. But with the financial restraints that most teams have, anything that can increase revenue, without jacking up prices for the consumer is a good idea by me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

billbradley

I would prefer not to have sponsorship logos on the jerseys, but it's not going to ruin the game for me.

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, we should advertise everywhere because we can, am I right?

Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 07-20-2012 at 11:27 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I wouldn't mind as much if the revenue from the advertising went directly to lowering ticket prices. Of course, that will never happen.

For once, it would be nice to see some of this new revenue, whether it be via uniform patches or television contracts, be used as a benefit to us, the fans.
    With due concern about spinning down this rathole again, just how low do you think ticket prices should be? I think prices at the Fieldhouse are pretty reasonable.

If your pipe dream is that courtsides should be cheaper than an iMax movie then you don't understand the economics of the situation at all. Let's assume for the moment that your max price was $50, that 1/5 of the tickets were $50 and the rest went down evenly from there to $40, $30, $20, and $10.

Let's call capacity 18,000 for ease of calculation. 3600*$50 + 3600*$40+$3600*$30+3600*$20+3600*$10 = $540,000 per game. Assume the home team keeps the whole gate (again, for ease of calculation and so we count only the home games) and that is $540,000 * 41 = $22.1M. Payroll FOR THE PLAYERS is a MINIMUM of $48.3M, meaning you have to make up AT LEAST $26M (that would be over $500,000 PER GAME) from premium suites, sponsorships, advertising, TV, and any revenue sharing just to put a team on the floor, not counting coaches and support staff salaries, training equipment, travel expenses, and so forth. This doesn't even touch building maintenance (if the pipe dream includes that the city cuts off all funding for the Fieldhouse and the Pacers), building support staff, sales and marketing staff, broadcasting teams, etc.

I can pretty much guarantee you a team playing in the Indianapolis market isn't getting $26M per season from sponsors and advertising, even if the jerseys looked like the team was called the Geico Geckos.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ....and to drive up jersey sales tenfold this season, knowing fans and retailers will be racing to get them before the advertising ones hit.

There are occasions where the NBA's drive to be like FIFA really annoys me. You don't see MLB or NFL or even ****ing hockey whoring their uniforms out.

Hopefully merchandise sales suffer so horribly because of this that they go back and re-think this.
    Well, they will be because there are big dollars involved...... I don't think fans will pay much attention to a 2" by 2" patch.......
    Last edited by OlBlu; 07-20-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Can Memphis finally rename themselves the Express, as they've wanted to do all along?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

There's enough advertising in the NBA as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Which is worse, being a fan of the Indiana Pacers sponsored by Pepsi or being a fan of the Las Vegas Pacers?

If the NBA was making money, like the NFL, I'd be a little more upset by it. But with the financial restraints that most teams have, anything that can increase revenue, without jacking up prices for the consumer is a good idea by me.
    If the NBA was run as well as the NFL, it would be making money closer to what the NFL is.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If the NBA was run as well as the NFL, it would be making money closer to what the NFL is.
    Not quite fair, there are such huge differences in the sport, the revenue potential, the value of individual players, and the market that just being more efficient still wouldn't take the NBA anywhere close to the NFL.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me advertising is less tolerable when you're already paying for a product in the first place. Authentic jerseys are well over $100 dollars now, I gotta deal with ads on them too? It's like when you pay $15 to go to an IMAX movie and then before the previews even start they show you 5 minutes of Coca Cola and car commercials. I can deal with patches on the players' jerseys I guess but it would be pretty insulting if they also put the patches on the jerseys I'm paying premium $$$ for.

I understand the NBA has to make money but for me this is not the way to do it - it's right up there with selling the naming rights to your stadium. It really cheapens your brand.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else, but for me advertising is less tolerable when you're already paying for a product in the first place. Authentic jerseys are well over $100 dollars now, I gotta deal with ads on them too? It's like when you pay $15 to go to an IMAX movie and then before the previews even start they show you 5 minutes of Coca Cola and car commercials. I can deal with patches on the players' jerseys I guess but it would be pretty insulting if they also put the patches on the jerseys I'm paying premium $$$ for.
    Well actually if the players have the patch on their jersey wouldn't you have to have a patch on yours to make it authentic?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate it too, but it was all inevitable, and I bet all major sports will have advertising on their uni's within 5-10 years, I think they were all waiting to not be the first league to impliment it. Now they can all look at the NBA and say they started it.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I hate it too, but it was all inevitable, and I bet all major sports will have advertising on their uni's within 5-10 years, I think they were all waiting to not be the first league to impliment it. Now they can all look at the NBA and say they started it.
    Other sports already do it, soccer has been doing it forever, as have auto racing sports... but those guys have their own reasons for doing it (soccer has no timeouts and thus very few TV commercials; auto racing sponsorships have a large number of auto-related brands advertising like motor oil companies etc.) Tennis and golf players wear logos but those are usually for brands that make their gear and/or clothing, plus those guys are individuals and not part of a team...

Basketball doesn't really have any of those reasons, there are tons of sponsorship and advertising opportunities already being used (the court itself often has ads on/around it for example), which to me makes the uniform thing appear a bit more crass and desperate-looking. JMHO

Who knows, if they don't get it right there is a small possibility of a backlash. Remember a few years back when they tried to introduce a new basketball and the players and fans hated how it?

EDIT: also I hate how people feel this is "inevitable." Is it inevitable that every square inch of everything that can be sold to the highest bidder will eventually have an ad stuck on it? What kind of depressing thought would that be? What does that say about our values and our culture. Just sayin.

Last edited by rabid; 07-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    Hey if it helps the Pacers stay in Indiana.......

and possibly lower ticket prices.
    That is the thing though, this kind of stuff never makes things cheaper, it just makes the rich richer. People used to argue that it was ok to put advertisements in video games because it would make it cheaper, it has still yet to have an effect on the cost of video games. Every year the cost of putting an ad up during the Super Bowl becomes more and more expensive, but every year tickets become more and more expensive. In the end the only thing that will lower ticket prices is lower attendance.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    auto racing sponsorships have a large number of auto-related brands advertising like motor oil companies etc.
    Auto racing has it because the cars are so damn expensive. I would guess 90% of all drivers wouldn't make enough money in winnings to even be racing, and who would want to watch a 500 mile race between 6 people?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    That is the thing though, this kind of stuff never makes things cheaper, it just makes the rich richer. People used to argue that it was ok to put advertisements in video games because it would make it cheaper, it has still yet to have an effect on the cost of video games. Every year the cost of putting an ad up during the Super Bowl becomes more and more expensive, but every year tickets become more and more expensive. In the end the only thing that will lower ticket prices is lower attendance.
    Do you have an actual economic study that shows the growth in prices can be reasonably inferred to be the same as it would have been without advertising, or is this just a general "if prices go up at all then other sources of revenue must be going straight to profit" observation?

In some cases, like the Super Bowl, prices are based on scarcity. That means they aren't being priced in any relation to the costs, they are priced based on the buyer's perceived value. It would take pretty high prices before the cost of a Super Bowl ticket makes a difference in the sale of tickets - this would be an "inelastic" good, one where demand does not change significantly based on price. So, for this sort of good, your view would be correct.

In other cases, like video games, I'd venture to say that price has a much greater effect on demand - in other words, those goods are "elastic". I would bet that product placement/advertising revenue does a great deal to hold down the increase in prices in order to make sure demand is maximized. Costs still go up because inflation exists, but the base price would be more if it wasn't for the infusion of additional revenue. For this sort of good, your view is likely incorrect.

Pacer tickets fall into something of a gray area, because it is hard to tell if the lack of demand is due to ticket pricing or the perceived quality of the good provided. In any event, though, there is not a whole lot of room to reduce ticket prices further due to the cost structure and the current money losing situation of the team. For additional revenue to come anywhere close to having an effect on ticket prices, it would have to be relatively large compared to the cost of running the team. If it is not, then it is better served going toward those costs ALREADY not covered by the current ticket sales rather than being used to essentially have no increase in overall revenue by subtracting a portion from current income that - at best - would keep losses at the same level. There is no evidence to suggest at all that such revenue would simply line anyone's pockets ("make the rich richer") with no regard to the current bottom line of the team.
    BillS