Thread: Board of Governors to vote on rule changes

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Board of Governors to vote on rule changes

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    via RoboHicks

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-boa...5779--nba.html

I honestly don't care about a little patch on the uniforms. We're not about to be the "Simon Mall Pacers" or something. Not that you could blame Herb if that ever happened. It's a far better avenue to go down than raising revenue by raising prices on patrons.

Good point. Why stop there though? Lets put the golden arches right on midcourt instead of a logo. Lets put a pepsi sign right on the glass backboard. We should also put the Geico Gecko right on the 24 second shot clock. I bet the NBA could make even more money!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Good point. Why stop there though? Lets put the golden arches right on midcourt instead of a logo. Lets put a pepsi sign right on the glass backboard. We should also put the Geico Gecko right on the 24 second shot clock. I bet the NBA could make even more money!
    Go for it. Fine with me. Doesn't mean I have to watch the Hamburgler bang on the block or watch the Geico lizard botch a PnR. I honestly don't care, it's still the highest level of basketball in the world and that's all that matters.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do we really need to revisit this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    Let me know when any Knicks fan likes their new jersey (if this passes)

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Not even a remotely fair assessment. It's like saying the 3 point line had no effect in the game in 1980.

Give NBA athletes 2 good years of this rule and it will be exploited every single possession.

Not to mention teams will start fouling with 9 minutes left knowing they can knock the 2nd FT off the rim.
    Well me agreeing to it meant in essence, that a bank shot couldn't be bothered with before it hit the rim, or that free throws couldn't be affected either, players would have to let free throws do what they do, there would be interference if done on a FT. I think it makes life a lot easier for the officials not having to worry about the invisible no touch zone around the rim.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Not even a remotely fair assessment. It's like saying the 3 point line had no effect in the game in 1980.

Give NBA athletes 2 good years of this rule and it will be exploited every single possession.

Not to mention teams will start fouling with 9 minutes left knowing they can knock the 2nd FT off the rim.
    Tiago Splitter agreed with you in 2010.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...ule-695207.php

Tiago Splitter, the 6-foot-11 Brazilian rookie center who joined the Spurs after 10 seasons under international rules in the Spanish League, worries that the abundance of athletic big men in the NBA could make a mockery of the game if they are allowed to take the ball off the rim or touch it in the imaginary cylinder above the rim.
    Though Splitter enjoyed being able to touch the ball on, or above, the rim in the Spanish League, he prefers that the NBA leave its goaltending rule unchanged.
    “I think here the people are more athletic, and it's easier to do that,” he said. “I think it's better to keep it like it is.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...#ixzz218szF0j6

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

In the discussion we had on the interference issue before, isn't it OFFENSIVE interference (meaning the ball could be tapped IN) that is being discussed, not DEFENSIVE interference (tapping the ball out)?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

In FIBA, they do not differentiate. The ball is fair game as soon as it touches iron. Punch it out or shove it through. It's all legal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dwight Howard is worth so much more if this is true. You have to understand that if it is FIBA, then a resting ball on a rim can be knocked off by both sides.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    I agree, except for on tip-ins, putbacks. Those should be legal IMO.
    They should be legal once the ball has left the cylinder. Otherwise, how do you differentiate? This is a case where the NBA has always been right (rare it seems), FIBA has always been wrong (DON'T turn basketball into European football. I don't want to watch European football. It SUCKS! (just my opinion, of course.)), and the only change should be FIBA getting in compliance with NBA.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Take a look at the early 60's, when guards all shot in the upper 30's and there were 70+ rebounds to be had in any given game.

It would not surprise me at all for that one little rule to completely change the entire game and slingshot us back to the stone age, where guards were pretty much irrelevant unless they were super-sized.

I can see coaches putting in four 6'10"+ guys in the final seconds of a 3-point game and pretty much telling the other team to take whatever shot they want, knowing if it isn't a clean swish, its going to get swatted out of the rim.
    Shooting percentages of guards in the 60's can be compared almost identically to today's players. The percentages were slightly lower overall, but these guards who shot in the high thirties were mostly bench warmers. Kinda like AJ Price, Lance Stevenson, etc. I would be inclined to say that the physical nature of the game and rules in the 60's had more to do with those small declines in shooting percentages. They clobbered each other back then. Especially big men. Wilt Chamberlain retired periodically after his rookie year because he called the league a bush league because of the ridiculous, accepted fouling. I think you are overreacting a bit.

I don't see the difference between goaltending and interference because there is no difference.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Shooting percentages of guards in the 60's can be compared almost identically to today's players. The percentages were slightly lower overall, but these guards who shot in the high thirties were mostly bench warmers. Kinda like AJ Price, Lance Stevenson, etc. I would be inclined to say that the physical nature of the game and rules in the 60's had more to do with those small declines in shooting percentages. They clobbered each other back then. Especially big men. Wilt Chamberlain retired periodically after his rookie year because he called the league a bush league because of the ridiculous, accepted fouling. I think you are overreacting a bit.
    Wilt retired? What are you taking about? But I will say that Wilt took a beating every game in those days........