Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board of Governors to vote on rule changes

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Board of Governors to vote on rule changes

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...-replay-tweaks

The NBA's Board of Governors is meeting in Las Vegas on Thursday, and a source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com the agenda includes votes on several rule changes, especially expanding the use of instant replay. If passed, the changes would be in effect for the next NBA season.

The board, comprised of one owner from each team, is slated to vote on three instant replay issues, and one proposal about inbounding the ball:

Instant replay for all flagrant fouls: The competition committee proposes to let referees review all flagrant fouls on video.

In May, Game 5 between the Indiana Pacers and Miami Heat was marred by a succession of violent fouls. First, the Pacers' Tyler Hansbrough fouled the Heat's Dwyane Wade hard. Less than a minute later Wade's teammate Udonis Haslem evidently sought retribution with a blow to Hansbrough's head and upper body. Both were given the milder designation of "Flagrant 1" and thus referees did not review video of either play mid-game. Under the rules at the time, only the harsher "Flagrant 2" calls could be reviewed on video by referees. After the game, NBA officials reviewed video of all three calls, upgraded Hansbrough's call to a Flagrant 2, while issuing suspensions for Haslem and the Heat's Dexter Pittman, who also committed a violent foul later in the same game.

The league long has sought to prevent escalations of violence, and in this a mid-game video review of Hansbrough's initial foul could have resulted in a Flagrant 2 call just after the play, which would have meant Hansbrough's automatic ejection and, therefore, no opportunity for Haslem to retaliate, and for the violence to escalate.

Instant replay for late-game goaltending and restricted area: Owners also will vote on two more new uses of instant replay, to review goaltending and to see if a player was standing in the restricted area under the basket. Both kinds of plays can be very difficult in real time.

In the first, referees are asked to use the naked eye to judge if a shot is on its way up or has yet to reach the backboard, and is therefore fair game to block -- or past that point and off-limits to shotblockers. In the second, referees must both watch a collision in the lane and know with certainty if the defensive player had both feet entirely outside the semi-circular "no charge" zone under the hoop.

Instant replay often gives fans in the arena and at home views referees don't have. If approved, replay for goaltending and restricted area calls only would be available in the final two minutes of games, or in overtime.

Inbounding from the sideline or baseline: The fourth and final proposed rule change slated for a vote is letting teams choose to inbound the ball from the baseline or the sideline after timeouts. Previously, teams would have lost that choice by, for instance, inbounding and dribbling the ball before calling the timeout.

Also slated for discussion, but not scheduled for votes, are changes to how the league handles flopping, the draft lottery and potentially adopting international basket interference rules.

Flopping: This may be the biggest issue with fans, but is not slated for a vote Thursday.

NBA commissioner David Stern discussed the league's ideas on flopping after a June competition committee meeting in Miami: "One of the things we're looking at is a postgame analysis of flopping," he explained. "We could see something like (the current points system for technicals) ... If you continue to do this you have to suffer some consequences. What exactly that should be, and the progression is, is to be decided. We just want to put a stake in the ground and say this is not something we want to be a part of our game -- without coming down with a sledgehammer but to do it in a minimalist way to begin stamping it out."

Under the current points system for technicals, fines and suspensions mount as the offenses continue.

Draft Lottery: The draft lottery has long been much-debated, with some saying it does too much to reward the league's worst teams and others saying it doesn't do enough.

The league instituted the lottery after complaints that teams were losing in order to get good picks, and has since tweaked the system in response to complaints that the weights favored certain kinds of teams. Further changes have been much-discussed, but are not likely to be approved Thursday. Stern has been dismissive of suggestions that big changes are necessary.

Basket interference: The NBA's current basket interference rules prohibit touching the ball while it's "in the cylinder," an imaginary column above the rim. Under FIBA's international rules, there is no such prohibition, and Stern has long supported adopting FIBA's rule, which is in effect in the NBA's D-League, where it is said to create exciting plays at the rim without leading to higher injury rates as has been feared.

Rule changes approved now could result in new rules in effect for the 2012-13 NBA season. Items like flopping and the draft lottery, which are only under discussion, could also result in quick changes, even though there is not another Board of Governors' meeting scheduled soon -- the board can vote to approve rule changes without convening.
    I like the pro-Miami spin in the last paragraph of the bullet on the Hansbrough flagrant.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Board of Governors to vote on rule changes

**** ESPN.

Anyway the basket interference thing is something I'm surprised hasn't been changed already, makes the game a little more exciting.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Totally takes the shooter's bounce out of the game.

Putting a good spin on the ball will no long mean **** since anything that doesn't swish through is now a threat to get knocked off the rim before it has a chance to roll in.

It'll be interesting to see how long this last as guards around the NBA watch their numbers plummet.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It'll be interesting to see how long this last as guards around the NBA watch their numbers plummet.
    Rebounds up, shooting percentages down, would be odd initially.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Rebounds up, shooting percentages down, would be odd initially.
    Take a look at the early 60's, when guards all shot in the upper 30's and there were 70+ rebounds to be had in any given game.

It would not surprise me at all for that one little rule to completely change the entire game and slingshot us back to the stone age, where guards were pretty much irrelevant unless they were super-sized.

I can see coaches putting in four 6'10"+ guys in the final seconds of a 3-point game and pretty much telling the other team to take whatever shot they want, knowing if it isn't a clean swish, its going to get swatted out of the rim.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OMG, seriously...

I can not believe people are still calling Tyler's foul on Wade a F2.

No freaking way.

A F1, sure... But HE MADE A PLAY ON THE BALL!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't want to get rid of basket interference for the same reasons as kstat, but I mean, we just gave Roy a max deal. If they did change it it'd help him.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Hey, it helps us too. We just drafted a 7-foot 280 lb man with a 34-inch vertical and a wingspan of 7'4."

Still doesn't make it a good idea.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    OMG, seriously...

No freaking way.

They're calling it that because that's what it was upgraded to. The last paragraph of the flagrant foul rule is right on the money. I don't think it was a Flagrant 2 either, but theoretically that's what the refs would have upgraded it to had they had a chance to look at it on replay.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

The way they worded it is BS. They say if Hans is out of the game there is no need for revenge. Well there wasn't any ****ing reason to retaliate anyway. Haslem was just being a whiny *****. Notice how they didn't even mention the Flagrant foul on Wade against Collison. Wade should have been thrown out and suspended but they don't mention the Heats gods

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    The way they worded it is BS. They say if Hans is out of the game there is no need for revenge. Well there wasn't any ****ing reason to retaliate anyway. Haslem was just being a whiny *****. Notice how they didn't even mention the Flagrant foul on Wade against Collison. Wade should have been thrown out and suspended but they don't mention the Heats gods
    Because it wasn't upgraded after the fact to a Flagrant 2. Somehow.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The best thing about basketball, relative to hockey, soccer, and most other sports with a goal or net, is the absence of a goalie. If the NBA allows goaltending, I'll be done. That's a boring game - just have a big leaper play zone right in front of the rim and swat everything away. And change the name from "center" to goalie. Yawn. The rim is horizontal, unlike the other sports with legal and encouraged goalies, and the rim and backboard can allow a shot to fall in the rim or out of the rim. Once its out of the cylinder, its fair game. But interfering with the ball inside the cylinder should remain a violation for either team.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    OMG, seriously...

No freaking way.

I still don't believe it was even a flagrant. His hand was on the ball. But I digress.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Putting a good spin on the ball will no long mean **** since anything that doesn't swish through is now a threat to get knocked off the rim before it has a chance to roll in.

Remember though, if the ball has started to fall in the rim at all it cannot be bothered. That was mentioned during the USA practice I saw.

I think goal tending stays, but offensive interference goes.

I'd have to relisten to the interview, but thats the impression I got at the time.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    The best thing about basketball, relative to hockey, soccer, and most other sports with a goal or net, is the absence of a goalie. If the NBA allows goaltending, I'll be done. That's a boring game - just have a big leaper play zone right in front of the rim and swat everything away. And change the name from "center" to goalie. Yawn. The rim is horizontal, unlike the other sports with legal and encouraged goalies, and the rim and backboard can allow a shot to fall in the rim or out of the rim. Once its out of the cylinder, its fair game. But interfering with the ball inside the cylinder should remain a violation for either team.
    I agree, except for on tip-ins, putbacks. Those should be legal IMO.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Remember though, if the ball has started to fall in the rim at all it cannot be bothered. That was mentioned during the USA practice I saw.
    Good luck policing that.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Good luck policing that.
    Refs have been doing it around the world for quite a while now.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Mood

Good luck policing that.
    No harder than the ridiculous "invisible cylinder" they police now.

I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out, as I've never watched a league that didn't have basket interference.

However, if we look at Team USA 2008 statistics, I think the impact on FG% may be overstated:

## Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    09 Wade, Dwyane....... 8-0 150 18.8 47-70 .671 8-17 .471 26-41 .634 14 18 32 4.0 13 0 15 13 1 18 128 16.0
    06 James, LeBron...... 8-8 198 24.8 50-83 .602 13-28 .464 11-24 .458 9 33 42 5.3 16 0 30 17 8 19 124 15.5
    10 Bryant, Kobe....... 8-8 188 23.5 48-104 .462 17-53 .321 7-12 .583 9 13 22 2.8 19 0 17 15 4 9 120 15.0
    15 Anthony, Carmelo... 8-8 153 19.1 27-64 .422 14-37 .378 24-29 .828 5 29 34 4.3 23 0 3 6 2 8 92 11.5
    11 Howard, Dwight..... 8-8 129 16.1 35-47 .745 0-0 .000 17-37 .459 15 31 46 5.8 23 0 4 9 7 5 87 10.9
    12 Bosh, Chris........ 8-0 138 17.3 24-31 .774 0-0 .000 25-29 .862 14 35 49 6.1 13 0 2 4 6 2 73 9.1
    07 Williams, Deron.... 8-0 152 19.0 23-52 .442 9-24 .375 9-10 .900 3 15 18 2.3 21 1 22 12 0 6 64 8.0
    13 Paul, Chris........ 8-0 175 21.9 19-38 .500 4-14 .286 22-24 .917 6 23 29 3.6 15 0 33 9 0 18 64 8.0
    14 Prince, Tayshaun... 8-0 88 11.0 13-22 .591 6-11 .545 2-4 .500 6 9 15 1.9 7 0 2 2 1 3 34 4.3
    04 Boozer, Carlos..... 8-0 48 6.0 10-18 .556 0-0 .000 6-8 .750 5 10 15 1.9 9 0 2 8 0 2 26 3.3
    08 Redd, Michael...... 8-0 73 9.1 10-31 .323 5-18 .278 0-1 .000 3 6 9 1.1 1 0 4 3 0 2 25 3.1
    05 Kidd, Jason........ 8-8 108 13.5 6-7 .857 1-2 .500 0-0 .000 6 15 21 2.6 13 0 16 12 2 5 13 1.6
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total.............. 8 1600 312-567 .550 77-204 .377 149-219 .680 95 237 332 41.5 173 1 150 110 31 97 850 106.2
    Opponents.......... 8 1600 222-551 .403 60-201 .299 123-156 .788 102 185 287 35.9 184 - 85 154 29 53 627 78.4

Not even a remotely fair assessment. It's like saying the 3 point line had no effect in the game in 1980.

Give NBA athletes 2 good years of this rule and it will be exploited every single possession.

Not to mention teams will start fouling with 9 minutes left knowing they can knock the 2nd FT off the rim.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-19-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Mood

Not even a remotely fair assessment. It's like saying the 3 point line had no effect in the game in 1980.
    Um, I'm likely missing the comparison, but showing statistics from a FIBA tournament involving teams that have been playing with these rules primarily for their entire careers seems to be a pretty good way to look at potential impact. Not a perfect way, just pretty good.

Give NBA athletes 2 good years of this rule and it will be exploited every single possession.
    Again, this has been in play for years overseas without the issues you're speaking of. Sure, it isn't the NBA, but it isn't exactly a joke either.

Not to mention teams will start fouling with 9 minutes left knowing they can knock the 2nd FT off the rim.
    I imagine this is something that can be dealt with if it needs to be, ala the "Hack-a-Shaq" of the early 2000's. However, again, I don't see this as a huge issue.

Fiba doesn't gave NBA athletes, or NBA coaching. It's like saying the rule has no effect in the d league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some of you don't seem to understand the difference in goal tending and interference. Goal tending will never go away, EVER.

I'm all for getting rid of interference, I like the international rules on interference.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Mood

They said on NBA TV that Adam Silver said it would be likely companies could put advertisements on jerseys, similar to Europe.

Yuck. There are plenty of places to tastefully advertise. I hope this doesn't go through.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

via RoboHicks

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-boa...5779--nba.html
    The NBA Board of Governors approved a new look for uniforms and a couple of changes in the use of video replay. Commissioner David Stern met with the media Thursday after the Board of Governors held their annual summer meeting.

He said the league is looking to add possibly $100 million in revenue by permitting small advertising patches on uniforms starting in the 2013-14 season.

''The view is, that the teams would need a significant time; one, to sell the patch; and number two, for Adidas to manufacture the uniforms, because the patch that would be on the players' uniforms would also appear on the jerseys at retail,'' said Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, who is handling the uniform change.

Silver said there are revenue projections from European soccer teams that the NBA could use.

The competition committee altered a few rule changes with respect to the use of video replay, primarily in the final 2 minutes or overtime of games.

At any point in the game, officials can now check video replay on all flagrant fouls.

''So the call is flagrant foul and then you go the tape, and you decide whether it's a 1 or a 2, or in some rare instance, maybe even a common foul,'' Stern said.

Officials can now use video replay in the final two minutes or overtime to decide whether a defender was in or out of the restricted area around the basket on charge and blocking fouls. Replay can also be used for goaltending calls in the late stages games as well.

In September, the competition committee will look at flopping and fouls away from the ball.
    Stern said that under the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the implementation of revenue sharing that profitable numbers are ''optimistic.''

He said the proposed sale of the Memphis Grizzlies is proceeding on pace and the league hopes to approve it in the next couple of months. The league approved the sale of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan's ownership interest in the Toronto Raptors to Bell Canada and Rogers Communications.

Stern said there are more positives with the league, including the successful summer league held in Las Vegas.

''We had a happy group of owners,'' Stern said. ''Our ratings are up 28 percent over the last decade, while television ratings are down around 30 percent the last decade. We are going to have our best year ever, both in gate and sponsorship this coming year.''
    I honestly don't care about a little patch on the uniforms. We're not about to be the "Simon Mall Pacers" or something. Not that you could blame Herb if that ever happened. It's a far better avenue to go down than raising revenue by raising prices on patrons.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-20-2012 at 12:25 AM.