Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee for Johnson wth?

Banned

Default Re: Lee for Johnson wth?

There is not doubt that Houston got a better deal for Lee who was an unrestricted free agent by the way.

DC got the Pacers: Mahinmi, unrestricted free agent and we had the money to get him straight up.

Lee got the Rockets: JJ+EM+Pavlovich+2nd round pick.

I guess the Pacers wanted to save 1.5mil that bad I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is not doubt that Houston got a better deal for Lee who was an unrestricted free agent by the way.

DC got the Pacers: Mahinmi, unrestricted free agent and we had the money to get him straight up.

I kind of thought the same thing until you posted this. I am a Purdue guy but let's face it, JJ and EM are not going to be major contributors even off the bench anytime in the near future. Pavlovich is very "meh" and nothing to write home about it. The second round pick could be good depending on when it is and if the player pans out. Now I see it as we locked in a guaranteed big man that can contribute in the league without a doubt and should not be hard to trade at all assuming he doesn't go to complete crap. At the same time we cleared some more salary for a future deal and more flexibility.

The Rockets got 3 NBA maybes and a "meh" for Lee. I wouldn't say that either deal is obviously better or worse to me. It is all dependent on what the team is trying to do short term/long term. Our goal is the now and very near future, so Mahinmi seems like a great pickup in that light while also clearing unwanted salary. The Rockets are simply in a different situation at the moment looking to acquire as many young assets as they can. I almost think we could have done a similar deal with DC that they did with Lee, but just didn't want to since that was not in our plans.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

I dont know if you've seen Ian play much, but I think you're going to be very surprised to what he's going to be able to do. All he's going to be asked to do is the be a defensive presence in the paint, guard athletic bigs, finish in the lane and shoot the 15 foot jumper when he's wide open. He has the ability to do all these things, and will only be needed for about 20-22 mpg. At 4mil a yr, that's a steal.

The rockets received a bunch of players that haven't consistent minutes in the NBA, Sasha who hasn't been good in 3 years. The 2nd round pick was a good pickup however.

EDIT:

Also, Courtney wasn't going to play here for that cheap of a contract. He wanted something more expensive to play for the Pacers, same thing with Mayo. Lee WANTED to go to the Celtics because of his relationship with Doc Rivers and Mayo to the Mavs for the chance to be a starter

Portland, as a 3rd team, was brought in to facilitate this deal, so what did they get for their effort?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Portland, as a 3rd team, was brought in to facilitate this deal, so what did they get for their effort?
    I read that Portland agreed to take Pavlovic. Boston has 3 2nd round draft picks in 2013, their own plus Charlotte's and Minnesota's. Perhaps Portland got Minnesota's 2nd rounder for agreeing to take Pavlovic, as Charlotte's is going to Houston in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    It's speculated that they did it to prevent Minnesota from signing Lee themselves. To get back at them for signing Batum to that big offer sheet.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both deals in question were flat salary dumps since everybody else in the Lee deal will get cut. Pavlovic is getting most of his salary paid by the Celtics.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."