Thread: Website the keeps track of 5-man +/- Found!!

Mood

Default Website the keeps track of 5-man +/- Found!!

http://82games.com/0304IND2.HTM

That's the direct link to the Pacers' 5-man +/-.

That's an impressive website for stats. They keep track of every team, and you can actualy see the best 5-man lineups league-wide ranked there too.

Here's the link to that:

http://82games.com/comm12.htm

Our lineup of Tinsley Miller Artest O'Neal Foster is the 6th best.

Mood

Default Re: Website the keeps track of 5-man +/- Found!!

More a-typical stats to wrap your brain around:

http://82games.com/0304IND5.HTM

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great find (I'm off the hook *whew*)!

I also get a chuckle out of the units at the bottom of the list, but I didn't see them on here. Anderson, Miller, Artest, O'Neal and Pollard was such a bad combination that, even though they haven't really been on the floor together since the first week, they're still at/ near the bottom of the list for the Pacers.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

I found several things interesting in there. The lineup of

Tins
    Miller
    Artest
    Oneal
    Foster

is 6th but replace Tins with Anderson and you get the 8th rating. Thats pretty good. Now why is it that Anderson is not our primary backup?

Also the 5 man stats suport my theory that Johnson is sucking the life out of the Pacers when he is in the game.

For Example the same player just replace the pg and you get these numbers

1 Tinsley-Miller-Artest-O'Neal-Foster 287 586 468 +118 15 5 75.0

Thats +118 with Tins

2 Anderson-Miller-Artest-O'Neal-Foster 268 530 447 +83 14 7 66.6

+83 with Anderson instead of Tins

5 Johnson-Miller-Artest-O'Neal-Foster 99 200 172 +28 10 8 55.5

Only + 28 when you put in Johnson.

Now it is still a plus but how often does he play with those guys?

The combo's he has spent the most time with

3 Johnson-Miller-Artest-Harrington-O'Neal 105 207 212 -5 9 10 47.3

-5 MINUS 5

Johnson-Jones-Artest-Harrington-O'Neal 71 144 140 +4 13 9 59.0

+4

Johnson-Artest-Harrington-O'Neal-Foster 67 120 122 -2 11 12 47.8

There is a minus 18 also but I am not going to blame him for Pollard and Cro.

Ok now why is he the primary backup over Anderson?

Two more points:

If you add the minutes for JT+RM+RA+JF+JO to the minutes for KA+RM+RA+JF+JO (the two primary starting lineups we've had this season), you'll find that our starters play together much less everyone else's. Why? Foster plays so little.

Because AJ and Al come into the game together in the first and third quarters, we don't get a very good measure of the effectiveness of our "finishing" lineup of JT+RM+RA+AH+JO.

Holy crap! I had to force myself not to look too close to that site. I'm going to have to devote my weekend to just going through everything.

Now, if only they kept ref stats, too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

is 6th but replace Tins with Anderson and you get the 8th rating. Thats pretty good. Now why is it that Anderson is not our primary backup?

Also the 5 man stats suport my theory that Johnson is sucking the life out of the Pacers when he is in the game.
    Rag, I completely disagree . AJ is a better backup than Kenny.

And to suggest for one minute that AJ is sucking the life out of the Pacers is idiotic. That is a crazy notion.

General comment: Not directed at Ragnar.

When I look at the five man +/-, the only thing I see is the team is better when J.O and Artest is on the floor and when neither are on the floor the Pacers are not very good. But then again I could have told you that without all the stats

I have looked through a lot of the stats and if you go by the stats Foster should play more

What I wanted to see but didn't is the lineup of Tinsley-Artest-Harrington-Jermaine-Foster. Has this lineup really not played together at all?

So much for my lineup of the future.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Right... because Kenny has played backup SO MUCH to give you such a well-informed opinion....
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

What I wanted to see but didn't is the lineup of Tinsley-Artest-Harrington-Jermaine-Foster. Has this lineup really not played together at all?

So much for my lineup of the future.

Because Fred Jones has earned the majority of the backup 2-guard minutes, Ron isn't playing with Al, JO and JF very often.

Al at SF with JO and JF is pretty rare, and FJ is probably at SG as often and Ron is with that combo.

Sports Logo

And to suggest for one minute that AJ is sucking the life out of the Pacers is idiotic. That is a crazy notion.

General comment: Not directed at Ragnar.

When I look at the five man +/-, the only thing I see is the team is better when J.O and Artest is on the floor and when neither are on the floor the Pacers are not very good. But then again I could have told you that without all the stats

I have looked through a lot of the stats and if you go by the stats Foster should play more
    I went a little overboard with the sucking the life out statement. But I was trying to be absurd to make my point. Kenny is the better pg than AJ. Thats why he was the starter before he thankfully got injured and Rick had no choice but to play Tinsley.

I am half affraid that Rick is not playing Kenny right now in case he gets an excuse to take Tins out of the lineup again. That way he could put Kenny back in as the starter and not alienate AJ in the process.

Thats just my paranoya talking mind you not anything else.

But back to the main point I want to see Kenny play some of the backup minutes to see whether or not he looses the regularly double diget leads like AJ does. Is it that the team lessens the pressure when they are up or is it that AJ just cant handle it?

I just want to see it in a game thats all. If Kenny looses the lead the same as AJ then fine let AJ be the backup.

Mood

I still think your whole theory of AJ losing the team leads is offbase. It's not like he's a clutz out there or misses tons of shots or throws a lot of turnovers. For whatever reason, leads slip with the second unit. I'm not convinced it's all (or even majorly) his fault.

Sports Logo

I still think your whole theory of AJ losing the team leads is offbase. It's not like he's a clutz out there or misses tons of shots or throws a lot of turnovers. For whatever reason, leads slip with the second unit. I'm not convinced it's all (or even majorly) his fault.
    I think these 5 man +/- suport my theory.

Same people other than pg

Tins +118

Anderson +83

Johnson +28

That is a staggering difference. You go to the lineups that he spends the most time with and he is +4 and -5 so thats a -1

His individual stat is -8.7 as I said before I dont want to blame him for Pollard and Crosier so I will go with the -1 thats was off the pace of Kenny and Tins.

All I am saying is that like before when Tins was not playing I just want to see what happens if Kenny comes in as the second PG. If they simply try it for a couple of games I would be happy. (unless of course Kenny does freakishly well and then gets benched we would all be pissed)

Mood

I agree the 5 man +/- points to AJ.

But I wish someone could show me WHAT he's doing to cause it, 'cause I just don't know.