View Poll Results: How will Tyler do this year?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyler will improve and stay on the 2nd string

    43 51.19%
  • Tyler will fall from the pressure and move deeper down the bench

    13 15.48%
  • No change in play, traded during the season.

    28 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 64

Thread: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

  1. #26
    He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Odds are he will bounce back. Not only is he going into a contract year, he's playing for his NBA life. Hans wasn't just bad, he was out-of-the-league bad last year. He basically stopped rebounding and making shots entirely. And his D was average at best, so there was almost no reason for him to be on the floor.

    The only thing that saved him was his ridiculous FT rate. He was 10th (TENTH!) in the league in FTs per minute last year.

  2. #27
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,947

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Why isn't there an option for no change in play, stays second string?

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member Jake0890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    6

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    I desperately hope we trade Hansbrough. We could get get a much better backup 4 if we had the salary cap space and roster spot he is taking up (i.e. Carl Landry).

    He's a black hole on both offense and defense. He can't stop anyone in the post, and forget about him making a post shot. He's not worth our while anymore, we need to move him before his trade value plummets.

  5. #29
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    I hope he gets better, but I fear we have seen the best of Tyler.

  6. #30
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Kind of depends on what is meant by second string, in the practical sense. If there's an eight man rotation, Tyler might play very little or just first half minutes with a frontcourt rotation of Roy, West, and Mahinmi. If we stick to a ten-man rotation, though, with five in five out, Tyler is likely to get his normal minutes. It's tough to believe he loses minutes considering his performance last season during which Vogel just kept playing him.

  7. #31
    Love to be a Pacers' fan pezhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    16

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    This offseason is Tyler first completely offseason, and actually this season is his THIRD season. Just like you guys believe Paul George can break out in his third season, I do believe PsychoT can do, too.

  8. #32
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,476

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Y'all are friggin silly. When Hansbrough marched us into the playoffs 2 years ago and was owning Boozer left and right, and got that steal and thundered down the court for a huge dunk-and-1, I'm sure y'all were pumping your fists.

    He didn't look so hot last year, and all the "I told ya so's" are sticking their ugly heads out the window. Get outta here with that crap, lol...

    He can play a lot better. I still think there's more to it than meets the eye... I've got this feeling he's dealing with some concussion lingering effects or vertigo... I dunno... his regression last year is conspicuous though.

    But you all know he can play better, we've seen it. He was lookin pretty darn good towards the end of Vogel's first season. I'm rootin for him.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  9. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Y'all are friggin silly. When Hansbrough marched us into the playoffs 2 years ago and was owning Boozer left and right, and got that steal and thundered down the court for a huge dunk-and-1, I'm sure y'all were pumping your fists.

    He didn't look so hot last year, and all the "I told ya so's" are sticking their ugly heads out the window. Get outta here with that crap, lol...

    He can play a lot better. I still think there's more to it than meets the eye... I've got this feeling he's dealing with some concussion lingering effects or vertigo... I dunno... his regression last year is conspicuous though.

    But you all know he can play better, we've seen it. He was lookin pretty darn good towards the end of Vogel's first season. I'm rootin for him.

    In that playoff series you are talking about he played awful. He had one good game and 4 awful ones. I know I was letting it be know the year Tyler started I was not a fan of it and rather ed Josh(and I by no means like either one of them as a rotation big man) and we weren't gonna win a thing with him as a starter. I haven't changed that opinion once since we drafted him the year he started we were sub 500 btw.


    I disagree with the bold yes he can play better but...

    he isnt a rotation big IMO on a winning team. Emergency Lou role? sure.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-19-2012 at 10:57 PM.

  10. #34

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    I think there's just too much overly critical reaction here over Tyler's bad season. Yeah I can't deny that he was horrendous last season, but other than last season he was a pretty good role player.

    People easily forgot that he was the part of the reason why the Pacers made a playoff run 2 seasons ago. When everybody was almost mentally checked out, he was the only one playing hard. When there was a losing steak in Vogel's interim coaching days, he was a spark that ignited the playoff hopes that was dwindling. Remember that back-to-back Knicks games where he destroyed Amare and both resulted in wins?

    We just easily give up on our own players just as we easily declare them future HOFers I think. When Roy Hibbert was struggling there was a clamor to ship him out while he has value. But right now when he's looking like an elite center most are thinking he's worth a max contract. Same for DG and DC during their ups and downs.

    Going back to Tyler, well it's make or break for him. But I'm pretty sure he'll bounce back whether he's still be a Pacer or not this season. Many changes happened last season that really affected his play (lack of preparation due to lockout, change of his style of play, demotion to the bench with DWest coming in, etc.). Not really an excuse there but we know at one point players will have a struggling season at one point in their careers due to adjustments. Let's give him this year to prove his worth before we lose hope in him.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:


  12. #35
    Love to be a Pacers' fan pezhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    16

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    This offseason is Tyler's first offseason, and actually this season will be his THIRD season. Just like you guys believe Paul George will break out in his third season, I do believe Tyler can do so after work out with West.

  13. #36
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Y'all are friggin silly. When Hansbrough marched us into the playoffs 2 years ago and was owning Boozer left and right, and got that steal and thundered down the court for a huge dunk-and-1, I'm sure y'all were pumping your fists.

    He didn't look so hot last year, and all the "I told ya so's" are sticking their ugly heads out the window. Get outta here with that crap, lol...

    He can play a lot better. I still think there's more to it than meets the eye... I've got this feeling he's dealing with some concussion lingering effects or vertigo... I dunno... his regression last year is conspicuous though.

    But you all know he can play better, we've seen it. He was lookin pretty darn good towards the end of Vogel's first season. I'm rootin for him.
    That playoff series that you are hanging your hat on?

    He averaged 33 minutes per game, scored 11.2 points per game on 33% shooting, and grabbed 5.4 rebounds, and no other significant contributions. He had a PER of 8.9 and a TRB% of 9.3, both of which are really pretty awful.

    Is that really all that we're hoping he can get back to?

    The biggest problem with all those stats? He averaged 33 minutes a game. He was a serious detriment to the team in games 2, 3, 4, and 5. He was, by a wide margin, the 2nd best power forward on our team in that series. Unfortunately, Vogel has shown nothing but faith in him, and continues to play him big minutes no matter how terrible he plays. He didn't earn the minutes he was given last year, and he didn't earn them the year before. He was simply given them.

    I hope Vogel learns from his mistakes going forward. Even if he isn't going to contribute, he can't continue to be such a major detriment. If he is, he needs to be on the bench.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  15. #37

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Tyler isn't going to get a second contract unless he really starts committing to rebounding. That needs to improve more than anything.

  16. #38
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,476

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That playoff series that you are hanging your hat on?

    He averaged 33 minutes per game, scored 11.2 points per game on 33% shooting, and grabbed 5.4 rebounds, and no other significant contributions. He had a PER of 8.9 and a TRB% of 9.3, both of which are really pretty awful.

    Is that really all that we're hoping he can get back to?

    The biggest problem with all those stats? He averaged 33 minutes a game. He was a serious detriment to the team in games 2, 3, 4, and 5. He was, by a wide margin, the 2nd best power forward on our team in that series. Unfortunately, Vogel has shown nothing but faith in him, and continues to play him big minutes no matter how terrible he plays. He didn't earn the minutes he was given last year, and he didn't earn them the year before. He was simply given them.

    I hope Vogel learns from his mistakes going forward. Even if he isn't going to contribute, he can't continue to be such a major detriment. If he is, he needs to be on the bench.
    Yep, he went in the tank after that dunk. But... he still got us there, and then he gave Chicago a good scare for a game or two. Your stats were for the entire series, but you didn't list his stats down the stretch and the first few games of the playoffs. Say what you will, but he had a real good stretch there, and there was a bit of Hansbrough-mania goin on for a few months. Yeah, Chicago's D finally clamped down (they were a great defensive team), and he was finally shut down, but you're not giving him near enough credit for his play down the stretch.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  17. #39
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember hearing Charlotte's reporter on the radio saying and laughing at the same time that Augustin declined to get a multi year extension because he didn't want to stay in Charlotte and the proposed extension was about 6mil a year.
    I am 100% comfortable in saying none of this happened. I mean, seriously. Just think about what you're saying. Now, think if what you are saying is plausible in any way, shape, or form. It isn't. Therefore, it's probably not true.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  18. #40
    Your Daddy RobRoy317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    21
    Posts
    128

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler isn't going to get a second contract unless he really starts committing to rebounding. That needs to improve more than anything.
    Completely agree. Obviously a good scorer, but I feel like his bad-boy image makes us Pacer fans think he's something more than he truly is. He needs to develop some other part of his game. I don't know what that is, but with Mahinmi & Plumlee both here now (purposefully leaving out Pendergraph), I don't think he can just rely on his image as the Pacer's designated bruiser. Ha. Still love him though!
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

  19. #41
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    I really want to see what Tyler can do after a REAL training camp. Some of the adjustments he was trying to make to his game (in season and with very few practice opportunities) can be done SO much better during a focused period with coaches and players on the floor with him.

    If he doesn't shape up after that, so be it, but I think his development has been hampered by having to be done almost completely individually due to injury and lockout.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  21. #42
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Do we know that the Pacers were trying anything to trade Tyler?

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  23. #43
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    This is insane, of course he'll be better! A young player, a full off-season, and most importantly, the guy was playing with a broken face last hear. Seriously, a broken face! (thanks ex-Pacers @sshat).

    Tyler is weird because there is a lot of very good, and a lot of very bad. He gets to the line at an amazing rate and shoots a high free throw percentage, he gets a lot of steals, he plays hard and with a high level of intensity, and his man defense is not that bad. Normally I'd say those things for a PF would indicate he'll be solid in the league.

    Unfortunately he seems to have no vertical ability, gets his shot blocked a lot, and doesn't seem to have an awareness that basketball is a team game (both on offense and defense!)

    Still, I expect his midrange game to improve (without a broken face) and his help D to get marginally better just through repetition. I don't see his inside game improving as he will always "play below the rim" and for some reason I just don't think he'll ever get the concept of passing to set up his teammates (aka offensive black hole).

    So in conclusion - marginal improvement, but definitely enough to make him a viable PF option for the Pacers if they decide to keep him. Most importantly I expect his D to be a little better and his FG% to improve significantly due to hitting more jumpers.
    Danger Zone

  24. #44
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, he went in the tank after that dunk. But... he still got us there, and then he gave Chicago a good scare for a game or two. Your stats were for the entire series, but you didn't list his stats down the stretch and the first few games of the playoffs. Say what you will, but he had a real good stretch there, and there was a bit of Hansbrough-mania goin on for a few months. Yeah, Chicago's D finally clamped down (they were a great defensive team), and he was finally shut down, but you're not giving him near enough credit for his play down the stretch.
    That dunk came in game 1. He didn't give them a scare for a game a two. The Pacers might have, but they also might have had a better chance to actually close out some of those games if Hansbrough wasn't playing so many minutes.

    How many games do you want to go back? Listen, he had a pretty good month of March in 2011. He averaged 17 points on almost 50% shooting, and 7 rebounds. That was, by a huge amount, the best he has ever played in his career. The Pacers went 8-10 in that month.

    As always has been the case, the success of his team, and Tyler Hansbrough's personal success are completely independent of each other. In his career, he has averaged 9.8 points on 42% shooting, 4.9 rebounds, and 0.5 assists in games that the Pacers have won. When the Pacers have lost? He has averaged 10.0 points on 43% shooting, 4.7 rebounds, and 0.7 assists. Simply put, due to his high-usage, low-efficiency style of play, and lack of contributions in places that don't show up in a box score, he just doesn't do anything to impact whether or not the Pacers win. His numbers are essentially irrelevant.

    He didn't "get us there." He didn't "give Chicago a good scare." He was simply out there. Any "Hansbrough-mania" was woefully misguided. If you were one who participated in that "Hansbrough-mania," you weren't paying enough attention.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  26. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am 100% comfortable in saying none of this happened. I mean, seriously. Just think about what you're saying. Now, think if what you are saying is plausible in any way, shape, or form. It isn't. Therefore, it's probably not true.
    Of the 15 players who ended the season here, only four look like sure keepers: Rookies Bismack Biyombo and Kemba Walker, shooting guard Gerald Henderson and point guard D.J. Augustin. Augustin will be a restricted free agent who has already turned down a contract extension, so retaining him is not entirely the Bobcats’ call.

    Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
    Here is the reporter's article from the Observer, we was in 1070 the fan and said that the extension was 6mil a year, believe if you want to or not, I know that your story sounds better because "Tyler is garbage so not even the Bobcats want him" but that is not what it was reported by their insider.

  27. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we know that the Pacers were trying anything to trade Tyler?
    I think they are trying, Wells kept mentioning Tyler yesterday as one of the guys that could probably not make training camp, but who knows?

  28. #47
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they are trying, Wells kept mentioning Tyler yesterday as one of the guys that could probably not make training camp, but who knows?
    Maybe they're trying to bring in Landry
    Danger Zone

  29. #48
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    There is a big difference in willing to move someone for something good in return and trying to dump/get rid of someone.

    I believe the pacers are willing to move Tyler for someone good or at least decent in return. However I don't think they want to just dump him for anything.

  30. #49
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,476

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That dunk came in game 1. He didn't give them a scare for a game a two. The Pacers might have, but they also might have had a better chance to actually close out some of those games if Hansbrough wasn't playing so many minutes.

    How many games do you want to go back? Listen, he had a pretty good month of March in 2011. He averaged 17 points on almost 50% shooting, and 7 rebounds. That was, by a huge amount, the best he has ever played in his career. The Pacers went 8-10 in that month.

    As always has been the case, the success of his team, and Tyler Hansbrough's personal success are completely independent of each other. In his career, he has averaged 9.8 points on 42% shooting, 4.9 rebounds, and 0.5 assists in games that the Pacers have won. When the Pacers have lost? He has averaged 10.0 points on 43% shooting, 4.7 rebounds, and 0.7 assists. Simply put, due to his high-usage, low-efficiency style of play, and lack of contributions in places that don't show up in a box score, he just doesn't do anything to impact whether or not the Pacers win. His numbers are essentially irrelevant.

    He didn't "get us there." He didn't "give Chicago a good scare." He was simply out there. Any "Hansbrough-mania" was woefully misguided. If you were one who participated in that "Hansbrough-mania," you weren't paying enough attention.
    Dude, did you completely fall asleep that year? How do you not remember his play down the stretch when basically the rest of the team had fallen asleep? He rocked out that game 1, abused Boozer... He absolutely put Indy on his shoulders that year down the stretch (not Granger) and willed our pretty bad team limping into the playoffs, but before his run, we were playing our way out of the playoffs, we were on the cusp as it was. His energy is what woke that team up that year, and it was his energy and style of play that we embraced for the whole "smashmouth" identity that Vogel grasped... I firmly believe Hansbrough sparked that team into giving Chicago some good play that series.

    I clearly remember it, clearly you do not. Please don't tell me he didn't do crap and then list his stats for March which were by all means very good, 17 and 7. The kid is capable of playing better. I'm not saying he absolutely will, because I dont' know what ails him, but he didn't look the same last year. The big question is will he return to form or fade to oblivion. But I don't believe for a second that he cannot play better than he did last year.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 07-20-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  31. #50
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude, did you completely fall asleep that year? How do you not remember his play down the stretch when basically the rest of the team had fallen asleep? He rocked out that game 1, abused Boozer... He absolutely put Indy on his shoulders that year down the stretch (not Granger) and willed our pretty bad team limping into the playoffs, but before his run, we were playing our way out of the playoffs, we were on the cusp as it was. His energy is what woke that team up that year, and it was his energy and style of play that we embraced for the whole "smashmouth" identity that Vogel grasped... I firmly believe Hansbrough sparked that team into giving Chicago some good play that series.

    I clearly remember it, clearly you do not. Please don't tell me he didn't do crap and then list his stats for March which were by all means very good, 17 and 7. The kid is capable of playing better. I'm not saying he absolutely will, because I dont' know what ails him, but he didn't look the same last year. The big question is will he return to form or fade to oblivion. But I don't believe for a second that he cannot play better than he did last year.
    I remember that being the PD narrative, but that doesn't change the fact that it was, and always has been, more fiction than anything else.

Similar Threads

  1. JOB got what he asked for
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
  2. Does this look right? (She asked that as well...)
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
  3. I know this has been asked before...
    By Skaut_Ech in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
  4. Not sure if this has been asked...
    By Wu-Gambino in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 11:43 AM
  5. I'm sure this has been asked before, but..
    By Dr Huxtable in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 02:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •