View Poll Results: How will Tyler do this year?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyler will improve and stay on the 2nd string

43 51.19%
  • Tyler will fall from the pressure and move deeper down the bench

13 15.48%
  • No change in play, traded during the season.

28 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember that being the PD narrative, but that doesn't change the fact that it was, and always has been, more fiction than anything else.
    Orrrrr a classic example of 20/20 hindsight.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As bad as Tyler has played (especially last season) it's not like the guy is COMPLETELY INEPT as some of us are suggesting. You don't average double figures in the NBA as a PF who has mainly played off the bench without having SOME TYPE of game. Has he regressed? Yes he has, but a lot of Tyler's game is when he's thinking too much. That's when the travels or up-fakes when he's open occurs.

A lot of people remember game one of the Chicago series where he almost won the game for us, and then went in the tank following that dunk-and-1. But what people forget is how well Tyler was playing in March and April leading up to that playoff series. Starting with a game against the Spurs in January (this is when Tyler finally began receiving steady PT as a starter) he averaged about 14 and 5. Yes the NBA may have him "figured out" but at this rate, as long as he hits that mid-range J, and works on his footwork, he's definitely a serviceable backup. I think the addition of Mahinmi will help Tyler as well, especially on defense.

Is he the long-term answer at the backup 4 spot? Probably not. This season will tell a lot......But to make it seem like Hans is just some scrub that couldn't get a backup spot elsewhere is absolutely crazy.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Here is the reporter's article from the Observer, we was in 1070 the fan and said that the extension was 6mil a year, believe if you want to or not, I know that your story sounds better because "Tyler is garbage so not even the Bobcats want him" but that is not what it was reported by their insider.
    Yeah I remember we discussed this in the Augustin thread. CHA ended up renouncing their offer to DJ BECAUSE he wouldn't re-sign with them per a multi-year deal. They wanted him for 3 or 4 years at 6 mil a yr, but he turned it down in order to leave CHA

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I don't think Tyler can change his game and adapt. I think the only way he'll ever stay on a roster is if he's money with his mid-range jumper.

Just hope he's traded before the trade deadline.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Banned

Augustin is going to make Tyler a better player book it.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Is he the long-term answer at the backup 4 spot? Probably not.
    If he can't be a long term backup power forward on a playoff team, he's not completely inept, but he's probably pretty bad.

If we were willing to dump DC/DJ for salary purposes, I don't see how we wouldn't be willing to do the same with a lesser contributor in Tyler.

I expect improvement

With the lock out and his vertigo issues Tyler has yet to have a full healthy offseason to work with the coaching staff and the rest of the team. I mean his ceiling is a solid back up 4, its not like expectations are high. I think he will meet those this season and then some.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Tyler disappoints mostly because of his low bball IQ. Other than hustle and getting to the line, he really lacks a lot of fundamentals and good sense.

He is terrible on help defense, slow to learn schemes, takes really bad shots, and doesn't have a sense for making a solid pass. He is much more interested in offense than defense, a typical mindset for a low bball IQ me-first type player.

This is deceptive, because we thought getting a hard working Tar Heel would have included a high bball IQ with all the fundamentals. It clearly did not. So, not only is he not that talented, he doesn't make good choices on the court. Kind of a train wreck all the way around.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 07-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Yeah, it's as if he never watches game tape of himself on the court either because unlike other players, he doesn't improve on very fixable problems. Sometimes he's Murphy bad on defense, and is just out of the way of opposing players in the lane.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Tyler disappoints mostly because of his low bball IQ. Other than hustle and getting to the line, he really lacks a lot of fundamentals and good sense.

He is terrible on help defense, slow to learn schemes, takes really bad shots, and doesn't have a sense for making a solid pass. He is much more interested in offense than defense, a typical mindset for a low bball IQ me-first type player.

This is deceptive, because we thought getting a hard working Tar Heel would have included a high bball IQ with all the fundamentals. It clearly did not. So, not only is he not that talented, he doesn't make good choices on the court. Kind of a train wreck all the way around.
    I don't agree with any of this especially the insulting part about having a low basketball IQ and being a me-first type player. I think Tyler will get a good training camp and will come out and play much beter than he did last year...... Note the Pacers have not given up on him. I have heard some here want him dumped for a second round pick. I agree with the Pacers, give him some more time...

Mood

Having Augustin setting him up may help his offensive game a bit if he learns to play the pick and roll. Biggest thing Tyler can do is get his mid range jumper to a consistent level, where it is a weapon every single night, instead of the once every 3 or so games that it falls now. When it is falling he looks leagues better than when it isn't, and it gives him the chance to drive when defenders have to respect that jumper.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Note the Pacers have not given up on him been able to trade him.
    Fixed.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Fixed.
    I would like to see a link or a quote where someone on the Pacers says they are trying or have tried to move Tyler..........

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They probably should move him if they can, but I can see them keeping him on this year to see what happens. The question remains, what can he do that Plumlee can't? Plumlee can certainly do things that Tyler can't.