View Poll Results: How will Tyler do this year?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyler will improve and stay on the 2nd string

43 51.19%
  • Tyler will fall from the pressure and move deeper down the bench

13 15.48%
  • No change in play, traded during the season.

28 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

Who expects great things from Hans this year. With a rival Duke player now challenging for his spot and the known pressure people what him gone, I expect him to step it up this year. anyone else feel this way?
    "Missouri's former basketball coach Norm Stewart would traditionally have his players stay in Kansas City, Missouri, before playing at Kansas, going so far as to require the team bus to buy its gasoline at a Missouri filling station and reprimanding players who ate in Kansas, as he did not want to put any money into Kansas' economy."- MIZ-ZOU

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I'm sure this has been asked, but I can be the only one

Hansbrough is a good player he just needs to be consistent. I still believe he can be a solid backup at the 4.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't expect a change in play because none of his many limitations is something that is easily improved upon. I don't expect him to move down the bench because we don't have anyone else. I don't expect him to be traded because even the Charlotte Bobcats decided they would rather get nothing than take him.

I think he's going to continue as our backup PF. And I think he's going to continue disenchanting many of his early fans and infuriating his early detractors.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I think its possible he is better than last season, if only because it would be almost impossible to play much worse.

If Tyler can be more consistent with his jump shot it would open up his offensive game and allow him to be more effective. He still has many limitations and his ceiling is still as a bench player though. Regardless of how he plays, I sincerely doubt he is a pacer after next season, because, we aren't going to pay him. If he plays well, it just increases the likelihood that we find a trading partner, which would be great.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Yeah, having another Dukie around him is going to go over about as well as another Mike Dunleavy, Jr. cheapshot to his vertigo-challenged head.

Tyler is not a Donnie Walsh-type player, so I expect him to be moved in training camp.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

...because he's never had to compete with a duke player for minutes before?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is the first summer Tyler will be healthy AND have access to the Pacers staff. Add that to the fact that he struggled last season, which will fire him up, and I think he will improve. I think Tyler will be a good back-up PF in the NBA for many years.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I would certainly hope that an NBA player would not need the drafting of player from his college rival to get him motivated to improve.

I think Hans has probably peaked out in his abilities - what you see is what you'll get from him. He can work on his jumper and improve a little there but the other issues (finishing, traveling) are result of his lack of athleticism and that won't change much. I think he can still get minutes in a backup role and I expect he'll be a 12-15 year NBA guy but I just don't know that it will be in Blue and Gold for much longer. The problem is that his trade value isn't very high so it's not like you are going to get much for him.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I think he'll be better.

If he can just get his midrange jumper consistently down (which is either hot or cold normally), he'll add another dimension to his game despite purely being a one man bulldozer inside.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the first summer Tyler will be healthy AND have access to the Pacers staff. Add that to the fact that he struggled last season, which will fire him up, and I think he will improve. I think Tyler will be a good back-up PF in the NBA for many years.
    He isn't working out in Indiana, but yeah, I guess you can cling to that hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Tyler is not a Donnie Walsh-type player, so I expect him to be moved in training camp.

If he's moved, lets hope it's long b4 training camp.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

(a) That's never been Donnie's style. With one exception that I can think of, he's either made offseason trades around the draft/ free agent moratorium or late in training camp once he's begun to see the team. (For instance - Detlef for Derrick.) The exception was Rifleman and Micheal Williams for Pooh and Spare Change before training camp opened, but there was nothing that training camp was going change for the value of any of those four players.

(b) I think Tyler needs a really good training camp and couple of exhibition games to reestablish some trade value.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Here's everything that was working in Hansbrough's favor to go to the Bobcats:

1) They were the historically worst team ever.

2) They have a glaring need for a power forward.

3) They are located in North Carolina's backyard, where Tyler was considered one of the all-time greats.

4) They have had a very hard time selling tickets, in a predominantly college basketball-centric area.

5) They are owned by a fellow Tar Heel great.

6) We were attempting to sign one of their restricted free agents, who they had no interest in keeping.

All that, and even the lowly Bobcats passed. Who are we going to move him to? Do the Mad Ants have anything we want?

The only thing that Charlotte had to lose by sign-and-trading Augustin for Hansbrough, was that they would have had to take on Hansbrough. They elected to cut Augustin to save themselves the trouble of having him on the roster for a season. If we couldn't get them to take any of our garbage, why would any other teams, with likely more competent management, take him on?

HE IS DEAD WEIGHT.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

I hope he (finally) shows signs of improvement, but I'm not holding my breath. Tyler's biggest problem is his head (and I'm not talking about his vertigo), and that's not easily fixed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post

3) They are located in North Carolina's backyard, where Tyler was considered one of the all-time greats.

4) They have had a very hard time selling tickets, in a predominantly college basketball-centric area.

6) We were attempting to sign one of their restricted free agents, who they had no interest in keeping.

All that, and even the lowly Bobcats passed. Who are we going to move him to? Do the Mad Ants have anything we want?

The only thing that Charlotte had to lose by sign-and-trading Augustin for Hansbrough, was that they would have had to take on Hansbrough. They elected to cut Augustin to save themselves the trouble of having him on the roster for a season. If we couldn't get them to take any of our garbage, why would any other teams, with likely more competent management, take him on?

HE IS DEAD WEIGHT.
    The report was that Augustin decided to become a free agent, Charlotte didn't cut him, they actually offered him a multi year contract and he declined, maybe the plan was to sign and trade Augustin for Tyler but Augustin doesn't want to be a backup all his life? I agree that Tyler's value is low but let's not go crazy now.

Banned

And also Wells was talking about Tyler getting traded a lot this morning, maybe he is not making it pass training camp.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The report was that Augustin decided to become a free agent, Charlotte didn't cut him, they actually offered him a multi year contract and he declined, maybe the plan was to sign and trade Augustin for Tyler but Augustin doesn't want to be a backup all his life? I agree that Tyler's value is low but let's not go crazy now.
    He was a RFA but they took back their QO. He had no choice if he signed a sheet they could of matched before that. Charlotte was the team that pulled back in part because he didnt want to be there(no point to keep a disgruntled player of his skill level when rebuilding) and they needed his cap hold to sign Sessions. They didnt want Tyler if they did im sure a S&T would of been worked out.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I hope he (finally) shows signs of improvement, but I'm not holding my breath. Tyler's biggest problem is his head (and I'm not talking about his vertigo), and that's not easily fixed.
    While I tend to agree with you, lingering effects of any vertigo at all are hard to play with, and so I am hoping that it is completely in the rear view mirror and his play will improve quite a bit.

That's a sunshiny wish more than a realistic expectation, I admit.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He was a RFA but they took back their QO. He had no choice if he signed a sheet they could of matched before that. Charlotte was the team that pulled back in part because he didnt want to be there(no point to keep a disgruntled player of his skill level when rebuilding) and they needed his cap hold to sign Sessions. They didnt want Tyler if they did im sure a S&T would of been worked out.
    According to their writer Augustin declined 6mil a year for multiple years, I don't think they cared to keep a disgruntle player.

Mood

He isn't working out in Indiana, but yeah, I guess you can cling to that hope.
    I think that is a main issue guys at UNC he works with dont help him add post moves like the Pacers staff could. He just keeps doing the same thing over and over again in pick up games not really getting better or working on his game as much as he just plays in games. I am just guessing on that but I am sure working with Vogel and Hibbert and BLF would be more beneficial to fix his flaws then playing pickup games with Jerry Stackhouse and other tar heels.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

HE IS DEAD WEIGHT.
    If he doesn't improve this season then he is only going to be a marginal player but his competitive spirit, strength, and damn tenacity may just help him turn it around. I don't see tyler as a quick learner but even slow learners eventually learn some new tricks. He needs alot of coachingand the coaching staff is just not impressive.

Unless we end up with Carl Landry, is there anyone on the free agent market remaining that you can point to and say, "Yep, that guy is an upgrade over Tyler." The options are starting to dwindle.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Unless my memory is entirely off, I don't think any of this is even remotely accurate.

Charlotte rescinded Augustin's qualifying offer. He had no choice in the matter. You seriously think that he wanted out of Charlotte enough that he turned down a multi-year $6 million per offer to come to Indiana for a single season and $3.5 million? I'll have what you're having.

Obviously, there was mutual interest between Augustin's camp and the Pacers. The Pacers tried to send Charlotte Hansbrough for Augustin because that is better financially for us than to simply sign Augustin once his offer was rescinded and he became unrestricted. Charlotte decided it was better off taking nothing than taking Hansbrough. And it's hard to blame them.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Unless my memory is entirely off, I don't think any of this is even remotely accurate.

Charlotte rescinded Augustin's qualifying offer. He had no choice in the matter. You seriously think that he wanted out of Charlotte enough that he turned down a multi-year $6 million per offer to come to Indiana for a single season and $3.5 million? I'll have what you're having.

Obviously, there was mutual interest between Augustin's camp and the Pacers. The Pacers tried to send Charlotte Hansbrough for Augustin because that is better financially for us than to simply sign Augustin once his offer was rescinded and he became unrestricted. Charlotte decided it was better off taking nothing than taking Hansbrough. And it's hard to blame them.
    I remember hearing Charlotte's reporter on the radio saying and laughing at the same time that Augustin declined to get a multi year extension because he didn't want to stay in Charlotte and the proposed extension was about 6mil a year.

Gotta Play Big

I doubt Tyler can play worse than last year. I think his one-on-one junk is probably his biggest problem and I hope the Pacers eliminate that from his game.

Also, I think with Gerald Green and Augustin on the second unit, it will take pressure off him to score. Hans really just needs to focus on the dirty work and hit the boards hard.

So...yes, I think he'll improve from last year but he may find himself fighting for his spot with Plumlee. I hope not though, because that probably means we are pretty weak at the 4.