Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts sign Luck

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts sign Luck

No surprise here. Basically the exact contract guaranteed by the new rookie pay scale.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...four-year-deal

Six weeks after owner Jim Irsay pronounced the Colts and their first-round draft pick were “close” to agreement on contract terms, Andrew Luck is finally, officially, an Indianapolis Colt.

The former Stanford quarterback has signed a fully guaranteed four-year contract a source with the team told the Star this afternoon.

The precise value of the deal was not immediately available but the NFL’s rookie salary scale dictates that it closely resemble that signed by Luck’s predecessor as the first pick in the draft, Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

Newton signed for $22.05 million with a signing bonus of $14.5 million last year.
    Luck was not available for comment.

With Luck under contract, he is free to report to a three-day rookie training camp prior to the Colts’ team-wide July 28 reporting date and the Colts have only two of their 10 draft choices to sign. They are Stanford tight end Coby Fleener, a second-round pick, and Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen, a third-round selection.

Luck participated in the Colts’ rookie minicamp in May and their mandatory minicamp last month, but in between, he missed all 10 of the club’s organized team activities while completing degree requirements at Stanford.

He is spending most of his summer in Indianapolis, working on his own with teammates.

Luck was runner-up in Heisman Trophy voting each of the past two years. He completed 288-of-404 passes (71.3 percent) for 3,517 yards and 37 touchdowns with 10 interceptions as a red-shirt junior last season.

Luck won the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year award, the
    Maxwell Trophy as college football’s top player and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Trophy as its top quarterback.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts sign Luck

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/81...ck-source-says

The Indianapolis Colts have signed quarterback Andrew Luck, who was taken with the first overall pick in the April draft, to a four-year contract, a league source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
    According to the Indianapolis Star, the deal is fully guaranteed and expected to be worth $22 million -- with a $14.5 million signing bonus.
    The Colts hold an option for a fifth year, the Star said. Indianapolis' rookies report to training camp on Wednesday.
    Quarterback Robert Griffin III, the No. 2 pick behind Luck, was signed by the Washington Redskins on Wednesday. Griffin's four-year contract is worth $21.1 million and is fully guaranteed, with no offset language, a league source told Schefter.
    22mil, 4 years, 14.5mil signing bonus.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

About time. I wonder if the Colts got control over Luck's endorsements? I sure hope not.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was hoping it was going to be longer than 4 years, but that's ok.. He's gonna be very expensive and very valuable come next signing time.

4 years is how it is as part of the agreement. You can't get more than that.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Their is a team option, I think, for a 5th year but I may be wrong.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Yes there is a team option for the 5th year, and it pays the player a top 10 salary at the player's position if drafted in the top 10.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I hate that contracts are allowed to based on other player's salaries. Everyone has to be paid more than their peers.

For everyone's sake, Luck better be a top 10 QB by his 5th year then.

Do we have anyone else that hasn't been signed yet

Fleener and Allen.

Mood

The Luck era in Indy has begun oficially now. It may not be pretty this year but by year three years from now everyone will be happy with Mr. Luck and hopefully a better tooled defense and offensive line. We may not win a ton of games next year but it has to be better than watching Collins and Painter fumble and toss picks.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

I'm actually optimistic about this season. We are in a weak division, and can possibly sneak up on a few teams. Andrew Luck will be outstanding, and I think he will have something to say about Cam Newton's rookie passing records.
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm actually optimistic about this season. We are in a weak division, and can possibly sneak up on a few teams. Andrew Luck will be outstanding, and I think he will have something to say about Cam Newton's rookie passing records.
    Cam Newton? Luck cannot even be mentioned in the same breath with Cam Newton and he won't come within 1000 yards of that record because he will have no offensive line to play behind. I think Cam Newton will pass a little less this year but he is going to be in the pro bowl for a long time........

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    No surprise here. Basically the exact contract guaranteed by the new rookie pay scale.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...four-year-deal
    And Irsay pockets $78 million over the next five years he would have had to pay Peyton.... Well, Jim needs the money......

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    And Irsay pockets $78 million over the next five years he would have had to pay Peyton.... Well, Jim needs the money......
    So did Peyton. 5 years 96 million.
    Last edited by RWB; 07-20-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    So did Peyton. 5 years 96 million.
    Oh, Peyton was always getting his money either from the Colts or someone else. I have followed the Colts since the days of Johnny U in Baltimore but I think I will take great delight in seeing them struggle for the next five years while Peyton is in the playoffs and working on getting to a Super Bowl.... I am a fan of the Colts, I am not a fan of the Irsay family.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I am a fan of the Colts, I am not a fan of the Irsay family.
    So you're a fan of the Colts but you're going to have great delight in seeing them struggle. Since Irsay doesn't appear to be selling the team soon you might pick someone else to follow.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blu goin senile, RWB, just nod your head and smile at all his anti-Colt sentiments.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    So you're a fan of the Colts but you're going to have great delight in seeing them struggle. Since Irsay doesn't appear to be selling the team soon you might pick someone else to follow.
    Nah, I will follow them as I have for over 40 years but it won't quite be the same... I hope I have to eat a lot of crow and they get better sooner than I think they will. I will also be watching Peyton on the games later in the day and when they are in prime time. I don't think the Colts will be in prime time for a while.....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Blu goin senile, RWB, just nod your head and smile at all his anti-Colt sentiments.
    That is probably the best approach. Like you say, I will probably forget that I hate Irsay next week......

Sounds like Peyton is really hurting. And what's this passing a physical or might not get his money?

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...988?source=pop

Peyton Manning buys Denver area mansion for $4.5 million — for a deal
    Posted: 07/11/2012 05:20:03 PM MDT
    July 13, 2012 2:39 PM GMTUpdated: 07/13/2012 08:39:28 AM MDTBy Lindsay H. Jones
    The Denver Postdenverpost.com

With only two weeks to go until the start of training camp, Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has found his new home.

Manning finalized the purchase of a seven-bedroom home in Cherry Hills Village on Tuesday, according to a Denver real estate source.

Manning purchased the home for $4,575,000. The home was originally listed in March 2011 at $5.25 million.

Manning's new home, according to the listing through Fuller Sotheby's International Realty, is more than 16,000 square feet and sits on 3.37 acres. It includes seven bathrooms, separate media and billiard rooms, a "safe" room and an elevator.

Manning, who will move into the home with his wife, Ashley, and their 1-year-old twins, signed a five-year, $96 million contract with the Broncos in March. His $18 million salary for 2012 is guaranteed, but he will need to pass a physical next March to earn the next $40 million (paid over two years) of the deal.
    The Broncos report to training camp at Dove Valley on July 25, with the first practices scheduled for July 26.

Manning's commute to Broncos headquarters at Dove Valley is about 10 miles and at least 20 minutes — depending on traffic.

Read more: Peyton Manning buys Denver area mansion for $4.5 million — for a deal - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...#ixzz21BiT1oE8
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

How many team officials and fans, football, basketball or whatever, have said they just needed luck to get them over the top? And now Indy has Luck signed and sealed.... Most of them only wanted a little Luck. The Colts even have the full-sized version!
    Are you telling me these people have all been wrong? I don't believe it!
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've never seen a state/fanbase so disinterested in the acquisition of an out-of-this-world talent before, these are truly some unprecedented developments. How often have you had an all-time legend leave the team, at the same time that an over-hyped flash guy was drafted #2 in NFL history? Coupled with an almost complete turnover of most of the front office and coaching staff? And at the same time, the guy we picked who's the actual better player, also happens to be a low-key, slightly-awkward personality who just doesn't have the flash that RG3 has?

It's like a perfect storm to diminish the support that a guy should be receiving for his on-field talents.

The result is you have a ton of people (mostly ignorant or not educated on the subject) who are still married to the old legend --- OR they're star-struck by the flashy guy. I'd guess 90% of the fanbase thinks Indy made the wrong decision! And hardly anyone is interested, except for a small smattering of hardcore fans who do their homework, in the guy that is truly the real gem acquisition of this off-season in the entire league. Even ESPN seems disinterested. Everyone I talk to at work... in my family.... friends.... just don't care, don't even know what's goin on with the team, and they all grumble about "shoulda kept Manning" or "shoulda drafted RG3".

It's amazing! We're a buncha dummies! Collectively, as a population! I love Indiana, but we're the same group of schmucks who almost boo'd Reggie Miller out of the state.

About the only group of people who come to the consensus that Indy made the right choice are the scouts and league officials/insiders. But what does their opinion matter?

Oh well.... just means Luck isn't having the state handed to him on Manning's platter. Which is okay, he's gotta forge his own legend. He will. Wait 'til all these silly local yokels see Luck in action, that bandwagon will fill up quick. Reserve your seat now, Blu, or you'll get wedged off.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 07-20-2012 at 04:23 PM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Well apparently 87% of the fans were interested KM right off the bat. Now I'm sure there will be a comment the 87 number was before the Manning anouncement. My argument would be anyone who paid attention to the Colts saw that one coming.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Go out and read some random forum discussion on Luck. He has a highlight reel and random footage showing fundamentals/mechanics that exceeds 90% of the starting quarterbacks in the NFL right now --- as a college player. And people still call out "future bust", "next Ryan Leaf".... I can only chuckle.

You know what though, anyone that has any bead whatsoever on the NFL right now knows that the 'Skins AND Broncos have superior teams to the Colts at this moment in time, when you consider overall personnel. It's pretty obvious that Manning and likely even RG3 are going to have better records and superior stats to Luck this year, and possibly even playoff runs, and all these fools will be proclaiming "TOLD YA."

It's a marathon not a sprint. Next year is the sprint, don't get wrapped up in that. The cream will rise.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 07-20-2012 at 04:36 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: