Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 88 of 88

Thread: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them, UPDATE: No he isn't

  1. #76
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They didn't draft Kobe, Charlotte did.

    Kobe then pulled a Howard and refused to play for the Hornets.
    Really? He refused to play for them in the 30 seconds they had his rights?

    They drafted bryant FOR the lakers. Jerry west wanted Kobe more than all the teams that passed on him.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-20-2012 at 03:49 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  3. #77
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,823

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them, UPDATE: No he isn't

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? He refused to play for them in the 30 seconds they had his rights? Must be nice to re write history as you see fit...

    They drafted bryant FOR the lakers.
    True but to be fair Bryant already said he would play for either L.A. or Philly only & if not he would go to Europe.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  5. #78
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True but to be fair Bryant already said he would play for either L.A. or Philly only & if not he would go to Europe.
    Granted, but it was a completely empty threat. It was 1996. 18 year old high school players simply did not have that kind of leverage, and the idea of Kobe passing up the NBA for Europe defies all logic.

    A lot of teams could have had him before the Lakers.

    The lakers wanted him more than anyone else. they dealt a top-10 center to get him.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-20-2012 at 04:31 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #79
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,823

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them, UPDATE: No he isn't

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granted, but it was a completely empty threat. It was 1996. 18 year old high school players simply did not have that kind of leverage, and the idea of Kobe passing up the NBA for Europe defies all logic.

    A lot of teams could have had him before the Lakers.

    The lakers wanted him more than anyone else. they dealt a top-10 center to get him.
    Actually if my memory serves correct (& it probably does not) this was under the CBA that had draft eligibility at one year. In other words if you hadn't signed with the team that drafted you, you could re-enter the draft a year later.

    I think that was the last time players were able to do that. I know second round players could do that during that CBA but I'm not 100% sure on 1st rounders, although I believe they could. I just remember so many teams passing on him because of that very reason. Walsh was even interviewed by the bunny at the star about that.

    Rumor has it that L.A. & the Hornets worked out that trade a day before the draft and that LA was banking on Bryant still being there.

    But of course no one will ever know for sure.

    But to the point, there is no way to deny that Jerry West was brilliant & that Mitch Kupcheck (sp?) is probably as good as well. But they have both had the benefit of working in the L.A. Market place and did so at a time that the record industry was huge & mostly in the L.A. area (70's-90's) and obviosly Hollywood.

    It may be a chicken and egg thing, I don't know. But I just don't think that location can be written off either.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  7. #80
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them, UPDATE: No he isn't

    oh, there's no denying that the LA market has helped them tremendously.

    I'm just saying without the shrewd moves on draft day to get Kobe and Bynum, the LA market means jack ****.

    Without Bynum to use as trade bait, the Lakers have no shot at Dwight Howard. I don't care where they play.

    Ask the Knicks how the big market has helped them over the last 40 years.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  9. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,272

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now Howard's agent says he won't sign an extension with the Lakers.

    I wish this **** would just go away.
    If Howard signs an extension after being traded, the most he could get is 2 years, $41.75 million. If he waits until he becomes a free agent, he can re-sign with his team for 5 years, $118 million.

    You do the math. His agent's just doing his job. If I were Bynum's agent, I'd be saying the exact the same thing.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  11. #82
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,358

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now Howard's agent says he won't sign an extension with the Lakers.

    I wish this **** would just go away.
    The new CBA makes it so any max level player cannot sign an extension for nearly as much as if they just sign after their deal is up. Until that is changed, no player near Howard's level will ever agree to an extension. That doesn't mean he can't or won't resign once his deal expires.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 07-20-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Or basically what shags said. This is a non issue.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  13. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,798

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them, UPDATE: No he isn't

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The new CBA made things worse.
    Let's not blame the CBA for one idiot's immature, self-centered, mind-numbing behavior.

  14. #84
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,225
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them, UPDATE: No he isn't

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's not blame the CBA for one idiot's immature, self-centered, mind-numbing behavior.
    It is not just him, all players that are aiming for Max are doing it, just like Deron Williams, signing an extension for stars is not as profitable for them, so I doubt you will see many stars doing this in the future, until there is some type of new CBA.
    Why so SERIOUS

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


  16. #85
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,225
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them

    Yeah and he said he will re-sign, but not sign an extension, nothing wrong with that... just smart business.
    Why so SERIOUS

  17. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah and he said he will re-sign, but not sign an extension, nothing wrong with that... just smart business.
    Bynum is doing the same thing...... I guess they can only pray that he doesn't pull a "Boozer" on them.....

  18. #87
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them, UPDATE: No he isn't

    I think the CBA did well for the smaller market teams: If you force your way out, you get paid less. I'll just call Dwight Howard's less money (for opting in) an idiot tax.
    Last edited by Steagles; 07-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  19. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    684

    Default Re: Dwight Howard ready to join Lakers and sign extension with them

    I'm definitely sick of this drama queen at this point.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Lakers want Dwight Howard and Chris Paul | ESPN
    By 1984 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
  2. Dwight Howard
    By vapacersfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 02:55 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 04:40 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •