Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Peter Vecsey ‏@PeterVecsey1
    Sources say Brian Shaw interviewed for Blazers opening today in Las Vegas

    Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes
    Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw will interview with ‪#Blazers‬ GM Neil Olshey tonight for their vacant head coach position.


    Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes
    Just FYI: Houston Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson says ‪#Blazers‬ inquired about him in regards to HC gig but hasn't been asked to interview.



    I said a few days ago this would be the perfect fit for Shaw hope he gets the job. Olshey said he wants a guy who relates well to players and a teacher Shaw is both. He has mentored Damian Lillard also and both went to the same HS so that connection could be a reason he wanted to coach the Blazer over Orlando.


    Also being reported that Phil Jackson wants to go to the Blazers as what he called in his interview on Brian Gamble "a coach of the coaching staff"

    so that connection is there also.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-18-2012 at 11:12 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    noob oz_pacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    205
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Apparently Orlando promised him the magic job which is why he pulled out of the bobcats job then the magic kept interviewing other candidates so he pulled out of that

    GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oz_pacer For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,794
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    I'll admit it, sometimes I wish Vogel wasn't so awesome. I would love to have Shaw as the head coach here.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,221

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    reallly would not like seeing brian shaw leave. but i would wish him the best.

    can we match portlands offer on shaw (green).

  8. #5

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    I'm curious, what has Brian Shaw done that makes him so generally well liked/appreciated?

    Sorry I'm really clueless on these matters, I don't even get to watch the Pacers games locally so I miss all the FSN pre game and post game stuff...

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    I don't want to see him leave, especially to that hellhole of a front office.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  11. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm curious, what has Brian Shaw done that makes him so generally well liked/appreciated?

    Sorry I'm really clueless on these matters, I don't even get to watch the Pacers games locally so I miss all the FSN pre game and post game stuff...
    As a guy who gets to the arena early and watch shootaround he worked Lance hard and he still gets out there and actually plays with his guys. You can tell he gets though to the players and is a really hands on teacher. Im not really sure what he brings to the table Xs and Os wise but no doubt in my mind he will get the best out of his players.




    2 years ago when he was in LA he would have 3pt contests with his guys(dude still has it). Plus Kobe endorsed him anyone Kobe will listen too has too be a good coach.

    Hell hole of a FO?? Maybe the ownership is wishy washy because Paul Allen is kind of weird and maybe too hands on but Neil Olshey is one of the best in the business I really like his beliefs in how to build a team he believes you need tons of assets to be flexible it what you want to do.(outside of really overpaying Batum I would of did a S&T if I was them).
    http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/7/9/...oaching-search (must read on Olshey's style

    The big thing we've talked about is fluidity and flexibility. What I'm not going to do is hamstring the organization with $7-$8 million contracts on guys who don't move the needle. I didn't come here for quick fixes. How did it work out the last time we did that? To be very honest with you guys, how did that work out? I've never heard a media talk more negatively about a season and how it progressed. When you try to put your thumb in a bunch of different areas of a dike, that has holes it, very rarely does it hold. We're looking for long-term solutions to our challenges.
    Love this quote just dont really get him saying this then overpaying Batum so much

  12. #8
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Portland just keeps trying to steal from our bread basket...

  13. #9
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    It'll suck if/when Shaw leaves, but he definitely deserves to be a head coach somewhere and he clearly wants to be one. As the old saying goes, "if you love something, let it go."

    He'd be the right guy for the Portland job. Damian Lillard would benefit tremendously under his coaching.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,400
    Mood

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    I sure hope they don't poach Brian Shaw from us. I know it is a bit selfish because opportunities to be the HC are not easy to come by. I wonder how he would feel working for the douchebags that front office the Blazers have.

  16. #11
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Quote Originally Posted by oz_pacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently Orlando promised him the magic job which is why he pulled out of the bobcats job then the magic kept interviewing other candidates so he pulled out of that
    I'm actually surprised Orlando didn't give him the job soon after firing SVG. Plus their final candidates, supposedly, don't look very good.

  17. #12

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love this quote just dont really get him saying this then overpaying Batum so much
    Olshey said in his introductory press conference that he was going to build around Aldridge and Batum. Like it or not, he followed through on his word.

  18. #13
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,189

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    I think they are going to stick with Canales this year. It's just getting too late in the process to really change things up for next season.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  19. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,941

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm curious, what has Brian Shaw done that makes him so generally well liked/appreciated?

    Sorry I'm really clueless on these matters, I don't even get to watch the Pacers games locally so I miss all the FSN pre game and post game stuff...
    It is basically all reputation. He has a reputation around the league as being one of the best assistant coaches, fans pick up on this and run with it. Very few people (maybe 2 at most) here would actually be able to tell you what he does to deserve the recognition. I know I certainly couldn't.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is basically all reputation. He has a reputation around the league as being one of the best assistant coaches, fans pick up on this and run with it. Very few people (maybe 2 at most) here would actually be able to tell you what he does to deserve the recognition. I know I certainly couldn't.
    He's highly regarded by Phil Jackson, one of the best head coaches of all time.

    He's highly respected by Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest players of all-time.

    And he's a player's coach. From Dwight Howard to our guys, a lot of players like him. Whether that translates to being an exceptional head coach, I don't know. It appears some league circles are turned off by the thought that he'd run the triangle offense because he was a Los Angeles Laker assistant coach for so long under Jackson.

  22. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,941

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's highly regarded by Phil Jackson, one of the best head coaches of all time.

    He's highly respected by Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest players of all-time.

    And he's a player's coach. From Dwight Howard to our guys, a lot of players like him. Whether that translates to being an exceptional head coach, I don't know. It appears some league circles are turned off by the thought that he'd run the triangle offense because he was a Los Angeles Laker assistant coach for so long under Jackson.
    Are you trying to make my point, or break it?

  23. #17
    Member Jake0890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    6

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    According to Vecsey, Shaw turned down the Bobcats head coaching job because he was promised the Magic's head coach opening. When they continued the interview process, he grew frustrated and withdrew.

    I doubt he lands this job unless Phil Jackson is hired as an advisor.

  24. #18
    Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    305
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brian Shaw interviews with Portland

    I really like Brian Shaw as an Assistant Coach, but I'd be glad if he would accept the opporitunity of being a head coach.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Similar Threads

  1. Brian Shaw...
    By sobleski in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
  2. Brian Shaw
    By picasso in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
  3. SI Piece on Brian Shaw...
    By docpaul in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 06:53 AM
  4. Brian Shaw on 1070 right now
    By mattie in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
  5. Brian Shaw is coming!
    By RLeWorm in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •