Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather question: when did Indiana become Texas

Default Re: Weather question: when did Indiana become Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem I have is figuring out why when we set these weather records, or match them, or approach them there are so many that are 100 year's old. Shouldn't the records all be only a few year's old if not just month's old to draw parallels with global warming?

That, and it's 'global warming' during heat waves and 'climate change' during cold spells, ice storms, and snow storms....

But... yeah... It's hot...
    Well for one thing Global Warming is an ill-defined term at this point. What it really means is that as the overall warming of the atmosphere introduces excess moisture
    into our climate. Which in turn leads to more extreme weather events. So dry months turn in to droughts, wet months leads to excessive rain and flooding.

We had a very mild winter last year but with lots of moisture with rain and snow. But it was not cold enough for the snow to stick. I'm looking for the same pattern this year.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    mmmmm California
    ehhhh Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    It's been this hot and dry before. It'll be this hot and dry again. We'll also have a cold and wet summer again soon. At that point will we be experiencing global cooling?
    No you be experiencing the cyclical nature of El Nino and La Nina. Which most of the US is affected by and thus easily like to deny the idea of Global Warming and Climate change.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    ehhhh Sacramento
    better than Wilkes-Barre PA thats for sure (where i grew up lol)

Mood

I just moved from Northern Indiana to about an hour west of Seattle 2 weeks ago. It was 105 my last day in Indiana, it hasn't been over 85 here in Washington since I moved. Not that anyone cares...but yeah...good move so far.

2012 has just been an extremely warm year overall. It was great in the winter when we had days in the 50's during Super Bowl week. I don't think we had a significant amount of snow all year which is almost unheard of for Indy. Most days were well above freezing. Then at the end of March you had a bunch of days in the 80's. That has turned into days in the 90's/100's in the summer.

UB, where would you move to? Virtually the entire country has been an inferno lately. Even Minneapolis has been having a bunch of brutal days in the mid to upper 90's. The only large safe places that I can think of are cities on the Pacific coast like LA, SF, and Seattle.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

We have rec'd 2.5 inches of rain at my place since Sunday evening. I'm in far western Hancock County.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    No you be experiencing the cyclical nature of El Nino and La Nina. Which most of the US is affected by and thus easily like to deny the idea of Global Warming and Climate change.
    We'll just be experiencing the cyclical nature of weather! Weather changes. Sometimes it's warm. Sometimes it's cold. It's been that way millions of years. Did people cause the ice age? No. It was just cyclical weather. We'll have another one of those eventually too. I suppose global warming is true in the sense that we've been in a state of global warming since the last ice age ended. But it isn't due to us.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    UB, where would you move to? Virtually the entire country has been an inferno lately. Even Minneapolis has been having a bunch of brutal days in the mid to upper 90's. The only large safe places that I can think of are cities on the Pacific coast like LA, SF, and Seattle.
    Me and the Pacers are moving to Seattle. Never minded a little rain, in fact I love a rainy day.

No rain where I live last night. it got close though.

edit - raining right now though.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Me and the Pacers are moving to Seattle. Never minded a little rain, in fact I love a rainy day.

No rain where I live last night. it got close though.

edit - raining right now though.
    As someone who has actually lived in the Pacific Northwest, it's not just a little rain.

It's a constant, steady rain for about 8 months straight. Enjoy!

Mood

Let me take this opportunity to offer the patented Facebook response anytime anyone posts a comment about any weather ever!

You pussies are complaining about heat while our soldiers are carrying 75 lbs of gear in 140 degree heat in Iraq? Go back to your air conditioning you ungrateful heathens. Shame on YOU!!!!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

That, and it's 'global warming' during heat waves and 'climate change' during cold spells, ice storms, and snow storms....
    Well, a few minutes of research would answer this question if you took some initiative and tried to educate yourself on the most important matter of our time. What we are experiencing is climate change brought about by an average increase in air temperatures as a result of rapidly increasing carbon dioxide atmospheric concentrations. That does not mean it is going to be hot all the time or that there won't be cold days.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We'll just be experiencing the cyclical nature of weather! Weather changes. Sometimes it's warm. Sometimes it's cold. It's been that way millions of years. Did people cause the ice age? No. It was just cyclical weather. We'll have another one of those eventually too. I suppose global warming is true in the sense that we've been in a state of global warming since the last ice age ended. But it isn't due to us.
    Wow, so you are a climate scientist then? How many years have you been studying this matter? Where have you drilled for ice core samples to gain direct knowledge of historical atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations?

Give me a break. I'll defer to the PhDs with DECADES of intense study on climate that overwhelmingly (99.99%) conclude that mankind is responsible for the climate change this planet is experiencing. Atmospheric CO2 concentration is about to surpass 400 ppm- CO2 is a well known greenhouse gas. How did it get to be so high? Not by any natural occurrence that's for sure. It is due to coal burning power plant and vehicle emissions combined with massive deforestation that reduces the amount of CO2 the planet can absorb. Ocean acidity has increased at alarming rates (because CO2 forms carbonic acid when it mixes with water) jeopardizing the existence of vitally important coral reef systems. Are you going to say that natural factors caused this?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Not to mention that 25 years ago it was global cooling they fretted over.

BTW...if you really believe this myth, why do you drive around in a motorhome? If the government really believes in greenhouse emissions, why do they allow the destruction of even one tree? Oh, and I drive a Prius (it's being conservative....I'm living within my budget).

{Edit....sorry, this rant belongs in the Star Editorial page not on a Sports Blog}
    Prepare to have your mind blown.

Global cooling was a fringe concern and represented a tiny portion of the scientific opinion on the direction of the Earth's climate. Yet somehow climate deniers think global cooling was the dominant opinion in the scientific community. Nothing could be further from the truth. And most global cooling conjectures were based on the consequences of mass emissions of aerosols, which block sunlight and were much more highly used in the mid century than they are today.

The significant majority of CO2 emissions come from coal burning power plants, not vehicles.

Greenhouse emissions are not a matter of belief- the increasing concentration of atmospheric CO2 is not DEBATABLE. Since when does the federal government have control over the fate of every tree in the country? You can't be this naive.

The Climategate matter to which your refer was a completely hyped and blown out of proportion matter that was only given legs by right wing politicians and climate skeptics. All inquiries into the matter found no falsification of data or misrepresentation of results. Case closed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well at least this simple thread about the weather has not turned political.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

I can't believe it isn't locked. Oh wait, Hicks has been gone.

If any of you miss the cutting of grass that is a byproduct of rain, please feel free to come down and cut mine.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I can't believe it isn't locked. Oh wait, Hicks has been gone.

If any of you miss the cutting of grass that is a byproduct of rain, please feel free to come down and cut mine.
    Were watching it, but as long as we can keep people from calling people names or declaring them to be void of intelligence we should be ok.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Were watching it, but as long as we can keep people from calling people names or declaring them to be void of intelligence we should be ok.
    Peck,

If I may, what is the problem with discussing politics in this kind of general topic forum? Isn't that what it's for?

They've tried it before Mackey and it get's way too personal.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    They've tried it before Mackey and it get's way too personal.
    This. Nothing makes tempers flare like politics/religion.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really. Information is created, sold, and distributed to make someone else rich. I will not adhere to anything an expert says on anything that effects billions when they get grants from gov'ts and political parties. Zionists want to protect Israel because of the 2nd coming, while protecting the unprotected becomes a side note. Bills are passed less for people and more for propaganda and $$$$$. And that is on both sides of the aisle. Color me Red, or Blue, or Red-White and Blue, but I grow tired of the same fruitless discussions of what might happen. Its time to invest in your local community. I chose to not make points, but make a difference.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Link please.

Having been in research all of my life, when a scientist tells me something is NOT DEBATEABLE I immediately start questioning everything the person touches. Everything is debateable or you aren't a scientist you are a lemming.
    Yes, the government could restrict or control the destruction of even 1 tree if they so chose. They control almost everything we do by one means or another.
    And all believers have tried to minimalize the impact of the admitedly falsified data but I tell you, if I had done that, every scrap of research I had been involved in EVER would have been called into question for reverification/validation. I would never be able to work again.

NOTE>>>>> I just read the posts regarding politics. I will make no further comment on this topic, my feelings are well known. I aplogize if I took the thread off course.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 07-20-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Peck,

If I may, what is the problem with discussing politics in this kind of general topic forum? Isn't that what it's for?
    Trust me, you do NOT want to see politics in a general topic forum. I still have nightmares from when I was a forum moderator.... So much mudslinging...
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Were having one of the mildest and wettest summers I can remember in a long time here in Phoenix. Monsoon season, which is when we get a massive, though short-lived thunderstorm almost every afternoon, has been going for about a month now. Usually we don't get that type of weather until late August. At this point of the year, its usually 110+ with no rain for 2 months. This was after a winter where we got almost no rain, which is the opposite of normal. Strange friggin' weather this year.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Prepare to have your mind blown.

Global cooling was a fringe concern and represented a tiny portion of the scientific opinion on the direction of the Earth's climate. Yet somehow climate deniers think global cooling was the dominant opinion in the scientific community. Nothing could be further from the truth. And most global cooling conjectures were based on the consequences of mass emissions of aerosols, which block sunlight and were much more highly used in the mid century than they are today.

The significant majority of CO2 emissions come from coal burning power plants, not vehicles.

Greenhouse emissions are not a matter of belief- the increasing concentration of atmospheric CO2 is not DEBATABLE. Since when does the federal government have control over the fate of every tree in the country? You can't be this naive.

The Climategate matter to which your refer was a completely hyped and blown out of proportion matter that was only given legs by right wing politicians and climate skeptics. All inquiries into the matter found no falsification of data or misrepresentation of results. Case closed.
    Wow. Great post. I mean it really is. Thank you.....