Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 84

Thread: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

  1. #26
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Barbosa took a lot of heat last season from Pacer fans. I've seen him play a lot in Toronto and he's actually not that bad.

    I think the Pacers think he's a better defender than he really is. Last year, I would admit, Barbosa played like cr@p. He's a really good scorer and someone who can stretch the defence
    He's good at chasing people around screens. We have players that struggle with that.

  2. #27
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance MAY has an upside greater than Barbosa and we need to find out if he does. If so he needs PT. If we find he doesn't it's time to stop the talk about his potential and send him on his way. I want to see if Lance is a difference maker. What's the point in having Barbosa keep Lance on the bench?
    If Lance is better than Barbosa, he'll play. Vogel doesn't seem like the type of coach that plays veterans over winning basketball games. I'm all for Lance getting more PT, but he has to earn it.

    As for Barbosa, he had a bad playoff series, but playing against the likes of Wade will do that to you.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,544
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    People have kinda forgot that Barbosa seriously sprained his ankle the practice just before the first playoff game, I think it effected him the rest of the playoffs. He played pretty good in the regular season and was a positive factor most of the time, until his horrible playoffs.

    I do hope Lance plays good enough to move past Barbosa on the depth chart though.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  6. #29

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    I really like Barbosa, but he doesn't bring the play making we need, and he's not a difference maker. I don't see the point in playing him ahead of Lance. I hope we don't have to see him guarding D. Wade again next year....

    If this is true this just adds to the disappointing (IMO) off season we've had. I shouldn't have got my hopes up.

  7. #30
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    It would be a good Idea to bring him back at a low cost. He brings experience and is a good locker room guy. Lance will have chances regardless and I really don't think OJ is ready. And why is everyone so surprised that D Wade is virtually unguardable?

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:


  9. #31

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    I think OJ will pass Lance and Leandro on the depth chart by the end of the year, just my opinion though

  10. #32
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,253

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think OJ will pass Lance and Leandro on the depth chart by the end of the year, just my opinion though
    That will either be amazing or awful

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Looks like Mahinmi is wearing #28 according to Pacers site, so if Barbosa does come back, he'll have a different number than last season

  13. #34
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,279
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like Mahinmi is wearing #28 according to Pacers site, so if Barbosa does come back, he'll have a different number than last season
    Seems logical he would wear 10 now that Foster doesn't own it.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. #35
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,544
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think OJ will pass Lance and Leandro on the depth chart by the end of the year, just my opinion though
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That will either be amazing or awful
    That is so so true.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  15. #36
    Member Miller_time04's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Martinsville
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,315
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Give lance his shot. Barbosa will want more money then I'd wanna give him. And I think he's a black hole on offense. Yeah he can be a spark plug some games but when he's not hittin he's useless, terrible on d and not good at distributing the ball. If lance can get it together I feel he has way more potential to be greater than Barbosa ever was and hes good at making his team mates better. Appreciate what u did leandro but if it was up to me ud be gone. Stephenson and augustin are the only play makers we have.

  16. #37
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,285

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People have kinda forgot that Barbosa seriously sprained his ankle the practice just before the first playoff game,

    I don't know about other people but I don't think I knew Barbosa sprained his ankle at all. Yes, that does mitigate my feelings towards his playoff performance.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  18. #38
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,279
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Barbosa sprained his ankle?? I had no idea either. I thought he just disappeared.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  19. #39

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be happy to see Barbosa back. Yes, he played poorly in the playoffs, but in the regular season, he was good for us. Plus with Green, Lance, and OJ as our backup wings, we could use some experience.

    Barbosa is horrible on defense. We need someone who can stop somebody.

  20. #40
    Member Jrod Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Bench players are bench player for a reason... they have flaws. Barbosa's made him tough to stomach at times, but what he offers off the bench is a really great thing to have. I know he can't play a lick of defense, but I think its comforting to know that we have a guy on the bench who is capable of putting up 10-12 points in a quarter at any given time.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:


  22. #41
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,694

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    The problem is, when your bench guy who can "put up 10-12 points in a quarter at any given time" shoots 40% in his efforts to see if he's got it that day, it hurts your team in the long run. He was usually the 1st option when he was on the floor, regardless of who was out there. He typically did not shoot well. He had some nice players here and there a couple of hot quarters...but it's not worth it to me.

    Augustin, Stephenson, and Gerald Green all have the same ability to get hot and score in bunches. Even if their capabilities are not as well documented as Barbosa. I would, however, be fine if Barbosa was signed to be our 5th wing. However, if our second unit is as improved as it looks on paper, maybe the things the coaches were basically FORCED to encourage and allow from Barbosa would go away and he would concede to a 3rd or 4th scoring role when he's not shooting well that day.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  24. #42
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Stephenson can miss the hoop with as much effectiveness as Barbosa did.
    Barbosa has a career field goal percentage of 46.1% and 39.1% from downtown. He actually made 42.4% of his 3's with the Pacers.

    Comparing Stephenson's shooting ability to Barbosa's is beyond insulting. Barbosa once made 190 3's in a season while making 43.4% of them. Stephenson has made 4 3's during his NBA stint.

    If you honestly believe Barbosa is on par with Stephenson, wow.

  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:


  26. #43
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,866

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems logical he would wear 10 now that Foster doesn't own it.
    Miles should be wearing #10 since Foster was the guy that gave him a rousing endorsement at his draft workout.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  28. #44
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Some people are severely underestimating how good Barbosa can be. This idea that Stephenson is better is no different than people who thought Paul George was going to be like Tracy McGrady last year. I don't know where some people get these ideas but some people are seriously delusional. Our big men were shooting 40.5%(Hansbrough) and 43.0%(Amundson) last season and Barbosa despite being small has a career percentage of 46%. He may lack size and not be a great defender but the little guy off the bench manages to shoot a higher percentage than our bigs off the bench. That changes the with the addition of Mahinimi but yeah, Barbosa is definitely somebody you want off your bench if you can have him imo. Especially if your only other option is Stephenson. Aren't we trying to win?? I'll take the vet over the 21 year old shooting guard that can't shoot 3's. If we're rebuilding, let Barbosa walk and give Stephenson all the time in the world. I thought the goal was to win now though.... maybe I was wrong.

  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:


  30. #45
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,866

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    The only reason that I don't want Barbosa back is because I think that there are better FAs that could be had for a cheap price. I really think that there will be some quality Players that could be had at a "below market" price.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  31. #46
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    I like Barbosa. I just think that our rotation is deep enough without him, or with someone cheaper. Besides, shouldn't we retire Jeff Foster's #10 next year? He did a lot for us, and was loyal, if nothing else. However, it doesn't matter that much to me.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  32. #47
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Barbosa. I just think that our rotation is deep enough without him, or with someone cheaper. Besides, shouldn't we retire Jeff Foster's #10 next year? He did a lot for us, and was loyal, if nothing else. However, it doesn't matter that much to me.
    I really doubt a foster type player get their number retired.

    Kinda interesting no one has worn #7.
    Last edited by cgg; 07-19-2012 at 04:37 AM.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  34. #48
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    I never cease to be amazed at how short people's memories can be. Barbosa sucked against one of the best guards in the NBA in the playoffs and all of a sudden he's a scrub.

    I'd love to have Barbosa back and I think he'll take a lot less to come back. Unlike many around here I remember the spark he brought off the bench in the regular season and how important he was, he was a key component to the final playoff push. He helped push the tempo with the second unit which gave them a lot of scoring opportunities. The guy is amazing with his body control in the lane and he's a career 40% 3 point shooter.

    If the Pacers don't sign him and he signs somewhere and then comes back and torches us for 20 points there will be the same people complaining about him now that will be talking about how our FO is a bunch of idiots for not signing him.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fwpacerfan For This Useful Post:


  36. #49
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,076
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bench players are bench player for a reason... they have flaws. Barbosa's made him tough to stomach at times, but what he offers off the bench is a really great thing to have. I know he can't play a lick of defense, but I think its comforting to know that we have a guy on the bench who is capable of putting up 10-12 points in a quarter at any given time.
    Yup if he is on...
    Why so SERIOUS

  37. #50
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,110

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: maybe Barbosa is staying after all

    There are probably 15-20 players who should be ahead of Foster on the Pacers' number retirement list.

  38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Does Barbosa re-sign with us?
    By BringJackBack in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
  2. Thank you Barbosa
    By RichardHawes in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 02:12 AM
  3. Expectations for Barbosa
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
  4. thoughts on Barbosa
    By wooolus in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •