Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana’s Pritchard Explains Offseason Moves

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Indiana’s Pritchard Explains Offseason Moves

http://www.hoopsworld.com/indianas-p...ffseason-moves

The Indiana Pacers are at a turning point both on the court, where they have slowly been transforming into a perennial Eastern Conference powerhouse, and in the front office, where Donnie Walsh and Kevin Pritchard have replaced Larry Bird and David Morway as team president and GM, respectively.

Despite those changes in leadership, the Pacers are still focused on a pretty clear long-term vision.

“Donnie Walsh made it very clear that our goal was to keep the starters together and add to our bench,” Pritchard told HOOPSWORLD in Las Vegas. “[Last season’s finish] was the fifth-best record in the league. We took Miami pretty far in the playoffs and I think won more games than anybody against Miami.”

With that huge step in the right direction—it was Indiana’s first playoff series win since 2005—Pritchard and Walsh felt motivated to be aggressive in free agency, both with maintaining their own players and signing some new guys to help them move forward even more in 2012-2013.

All that started by matching a four-year, $58.4 million offer sheet that All-Star center Roy Hibbert signed originally agreed to with the Portland Trail Blazers at the start of free agency. Those are max dollars, which not everyone is certain Hibbert deserves, but Pritchard had an easy defense for keeping Hibbert aboard and making the trade that sent out Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones for backup center Ian Mahinmi.

“We really felt like length helps in the playoffs. You’ve got to have some size, some bulk, so bringing Roy back was our first priority,” Pritchard said.

“With Ian, we get a guy who can play the five and four, he’s 6’11”, and he’s 27 so he’s still improving. And everybody says he’s a great worker, so we feel lucky to get him.”

The Pacers didn’t only add big men; this offseason’s major moves also included the addition of point guard D.J. Augustin and swingman Gerald Green, both of whom came at very reasonable prices considering their talent.

According to Pritchard, Augustin will probably play a very different kind of a game with the Pacers than he’s used to, which was a big selling point in getting him to Indianapolis.

“In Charlotte, he was so looked upon to score, but with us he can be a facilitator, or be in a pick-and-roll and find players, but he doesn’t have to go in to score to help us,” Pritchard said. “His role will change, but he really embraced that when we talked to him.”

Green, meanwhile, had a standout season in New Jersey last year after spending some time in Moscow. He averaged 12.9 points in 31 games for the Nets, but that combined with a great interview convinced the Pacers’ brass to give him a long-term shot in Indiana.

“We met with him for a couple of days,” Pritchard said. “Kids mature. It’s just a part of the business. He’s really come a long way, but what I like is that he’s really hungry. He’s ready to get after it, and we feel like we get a good signing in him. He’ll help our bench because he can really score and is super talented. He hasn’t put it all together yet, but we hope he can for us.”

This could be a year in which the Pacers as a team “put it all together.” The Central Division is ripe for the picking, especially with Derrick Rose projected to miss most or all of the season, and there’s little reason to believe the Pacers couldn’t end up facing the Miami HEAT again at some point in the 2013 playoffs.

In fact, if Pritchard and Walsh’s free agency moves this summer work out like they hope on the court, the Eastern Conference could come down to those two teams for years to come. For now, though, they just want to grow their young talent and play as well as they can.

“Coach Vogel wants to keep this team together and see them grow,” Pritchard said. “We’ll look for deals and be opportunistic, but it’s not like we have to do something right now.

“It’s never done,” he added, “but it’s time to sit back and evaluate where we are.”

So where are they? In a pretty good place, it seems. They had to spend some money to get there, and more money will get spent down the road as other young guys gear up for extensions in coming years. But for now, the immediate future looks bright as the tide continues to turn in the right direction.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana’s Pritchard Explains Offseason Moves

Quote Originally Posted by Keven Pritchard
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “With Ian, we get a guy who can play the five and four, he’s 6’11”, and he’s 27 so he’s still improving. And everybody says he’s a great worker, so we feel lucky to get him.”
    I'm being a stickler but Mahinmi's actually only 25, not sure if that's on the writer or Pritchard. Otherwise, it was a good read.

I'm just going to wait for the season to begin...I'm still not really that sold on the moves.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    I'm just going to wait for the season to begin...I'm still not really that sold on the moves.
    I don't know. I am actually excited about watching the team grow together and I am much happier about the bench.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I was just hoping we would add a game changer to the bench. Plumlee/Mahinmi take care of our size problem that killed us last year, Green and Augustin add pure shooting, and hopefully Stephenson adds some facilitating as well as DJ Augustin. I was just banking on us getting an actual game changer on par with our starters to play off the bench. Thought our opportunity was Elton Brand or Luis Scola, and if we could somehow S&T for Carl Landry that would be perfect.

My point is, our bench isn't going to cost us games anymore. But they still aren't going to win us many. I know Larry wanted us to be known as having the best bench in the league, and hopefully one of the best of all time. Right now it looks like our new bench is just trying to patch holes from last year. Not a bad thing, but at this point it seems like we are kind of dreaming small...

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I was just hoping we would add a game changer to the bench. Plumlee/Mahinmi take care of our size problem that killed us last year, Green and Augustin add pure shooting, and hopefully Stephenson adds some facilitating as well as DJ Augustin. I was just banking on us getting an actual game changer on par with our starters to play off the bench. . .
    yeah, me too. but they do have lots of depth at the 2. paul and someone should make it through the regular season. maybe paul, danny and green during the playoffs.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'm just excited to see Gerald Green and Paul George on the court together. I think Mahinmi will be better than people expect, it will be nice to have some real depth at the center position now. I think Augustin will be a better distributor than Collison. I'm pretty excited.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

“In Charlotte, he was so looked upon to score, but with us he can be a facilitator, or be in a pick-and-roll and find players, but he doesn’t have to go in to score to help us,” Pritchard said. “His role will change, but he really embraced that when we talked to him.”
    I like the sound of this.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I was just hoping we would add a game changer to the bench. Plumlee/Mahinmi take care of our size problem that killed us last year, Green and Augustin add pure shooting, and hopefully Stephenson adds some facilitating as well as DJ Augustin. I was just banking on us getting an actual game changer on par with our starters to play off the bench. Thought our opportunity was Elton Brand or Luis Scola, and if we could somehow S&T for Carl Landry that would be perfect.

My point is, our bench isn't going to cost us games anymore. But they still aren't going to win us many. I know Larry wanted us to be known as having the best bench in the league, and hopefully one of the best of all time. Right now it looks like our new bench is just trying to patch holes from last year. Not a bad thing, but at this point it seems like we are kind of dreaming small...
    I was hoping we'd improve our bench as well, just by improving our starters and bumping a current starter to the bench.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karlton For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree! Just about the best news about the off season so far. A recognition by the Pacers that the point guard position is not all about scoring as it has been for years, and that facilitating is important!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I like the sound of this.
    It is music to my ears.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Def think the bench has improved.

It just strikes me as funny that Pritchard is really going out of his way to explain and sell the offseason moves cause so many fans are pissed. Doesn't give me a ton of confidence.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

It just strikes me as funny that Pritchard is really going out of his way to explain and sell the offseason moves cause so many fans are pissed. Doesn't give me a ton of confidence.
    Me either....in our fans.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Me either....in our fans.
    I agree. Sparhawk, you say you like the moves, but you aren't confident in them because Pritchard is explaining them? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

“We took Miami pretty far in the playoffs and I think won more games than anybody against Miami.”
    With Ian, we get a guy who can play the five and four, he’s 6’11”, and he’s 27 so he’s still improving.
    This is our GM? Now I'm worried.

I liked our off-season moves other than the possibility of Stephenson playing SG because that's a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Did Pritchard even watch the playoffs though? Miami beat us 4-2 and Boston 4-3. We had been up 2-1 on Miami but Boston had been up 3-2. I knew our record against the Heat during the regular season was 1-3 so at best, we matched the Celtics 3 wins in the playoffs against Miami. Then I looked at Boston and Miami during the regular season and Celtics beat them 3-1. I was willing to overlook that he "thought" the Pacers won more games against them, even though anybody who watched the playoffs knows they didn't. Did he not watch them?

Then he talks about Mahinimi and says he's 27 years old. Did the Pacers find out he was lying about his age and ESPN missed it? ESPN lists him as 25 years old.

Maybe I'm harping on small things but I actually stopped reading the article because he was wrong twice 1/4 of the way through what was quoted. If he's making these inaccurate comments about his own team, I question if he even watches NBA games. I knew he was wrong about those things off the top of my head, so why was he wrong? As far as I'm concerned, he should know every single detail about the Pacers over the past year and it's like he doesn't know the simplest of facts about this team.

I had started trusting the front office after the moves they made following drafting Plumlee and trading Collison but now I'm starting to wonder again.
    Last edited by TOP; 07-22-2012 at 10:34 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post

I liked our off-season moves other than the possibility of Stephenson playing SG because that's a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Did Pritchard even watch the playoffs though? Miami beat us 4-2 and Boston 4-3. We had been up 2-1 on Miami but Boston had been up 3-2. I knew our record against the Heat during the regular season was 1-3 so at best, we matched the Celtics 3 wins in the playoffs against Miami. Then I looked at Boston and Miami during the regular season and Celtics beat them 3-1. I was willing to overlook that he "thought" the Pacers won more games against them, even though anybody who watched the playoffs knows they didn't. Did he not watch them?

Then he talks about Mahinimi and says he's 27 years old. Did the Pacers find out he was lying about his age and ESPN missed it? ESPN lists him as 25 years old.

Maybe I'm harping on small things but I actually stopped reading the article because he was wrong twice 1/4 of the way through what was quoted. If he's making these inaccurate comments about his own team, I question if he even watches NBA games. I knew he was wrong about those things off the top of my head, so why was he wrong? As far as I'm concerned, he should know every single detail about the Pacers over the past year and it's like he doesn't know the simplest of facts about this team.

I had started trusting the front office after the moves they made following drafting Plumlee and trading Collison but now I'm starting to wonder again.
    Seriously? These simple trivia is pointless to him. I care more if he knows who to get, who fits well, how we played certain teams, salaries, signings etc. I don't care if he knows who had the most wins against the Heat or exactly how old a player is.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

The thing that I was most excited about coming into the offseason was to see how our starting 5 progressed as a whole during offseason workouts... still is. Can't say I'm not curious to see how the bench plays out though

Mood

I wish he would have explained the thought process behind sending Collison to Dallas.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I wish he would have explained the thought process behind sending Collison to Dallas.
    Seems pretty clear to me.

Current payroll: $65.2m
    Luxury tax: $70.3m

Current payroll + DC ($2.3m) + Dahntay ($2.9m) = $70.4m

It was a salary dump for financial reasons, plain and simple. Could we have gotten a better deal while still not getting any salary back? Apparently not.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post

If you listen to the interview you'll hear Kevin say "26" not "27" for Ian's age. The writer transcribed it wrong. I bet Kevin knows what a stickler you are for details. If he said 25 then you would have complained that he didn't know Ian was almost 26. And saying 25 and 9 months would sound stupid. So instead he rounded up and said 26, trying to be as accurate as possible without boring the less anal fans with triviality. That's probably what happened.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

It was a salary dump for financial reasons, plain and simple. Could we have gotten a better deal while still not getting any salary back? Apparently not.
    Sorry, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. You don't just dump a valuable asset for salary alone. I would have liked to have seen him address it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Sorry, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. You don't just dump a valuable asset for salary alone. I would have liked to have seen him address it.
    He sees Augustin as an upgrade and Collison doesn't necessarily have much value around the league. No one wants to pay Dahntay $3 mil, so we had to give DC to Dallas to take him. Dallas wouldn't have done the sign and trade for just Dahntay.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When he was interviewed during the Blazer SL game the other night. He said there are times when you have to do what is best for the player. He said it was mainly because DC2 did everything asked of him when he was here and he wanted to start. He said he realized the value wasn't what it could of been but they wanted to help DC get to start. I don't agree with this logic at all don't sell low I'm sure money was the main reason but he doesn't really want to call out ownership.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iogyhufi View Post
    I agree. Sparhawk, you say you like the moves, but you aren't confident in them because Pritchard is explaining them? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
    If you've read some of my other posts, you'd understand.

-Hate the Plumlee pick. As I'm sure there were a lot of fans that felt the same.
    -Gave DC away for nothing. Just a dumb move. Small market teams shouldn't be giving away assets. DC is a fringe starter, excellent backup. You can't tell me that's not worth something.
    -Hill is way overpaid. Should have let the market dictate his salary just like Hibbs. I just don't see how a small combo guard would have gotten $8M from another team.
    -Pacers blew through the offseason in like 4 days. If they'd had asked Hibbs/Hill to hold off signing till after the amnesty period, I can only imagine that the Pacers could have Scola or Brand, which would have been a huuuuuuuuge upgrade.
    -While I'm glad the Pacers got Augustin, this is a latteral move IMO. What makes it a bad move is that he costs more than DC and we don't get his bird rights.

-I like the Ian signing. I'm not complaining at $4M cause that doesn't seem much for a backup.
    -Like the Green signing.

Sure the bench is better. The overall long term costs could really hurt the Pacers though by over paying for Hill and the cost of Hibbert (though I think it was the right move to match, it's still a lot of money). All we heard from management is how they'll finally have money this offseason to go after free agents. In the end, they used most of it to just resign their own guys. So much for that.

So of course Pritchard has to spin it and sell it to the fans, cause many are upset. Other teams didn't have the kind of money the Pacers have and yet they were still able to get better. That's why I'm not very confident at the moment.

However, though I've been upset by the moves, I'm ready for the season to start and to root for these guys.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

I would at least like to know why they didn't try to get a pick for DC or if they did. He's a fringe starter, but a very excellent backup. You don't just give that away.