Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill

Default Re: Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill

Whoever it is, I'm glad we can be having this conversation.

Why are you so concerned which wing position he plays?
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [/B]

If he doesn't get what together? As if we're putting him in a position to succeed... you guys crack me up with this non sense. You want to him to start blowing by midgets off the dribble? You want him to grab 8 boards at SG? You want him to chuck up 15 shots a game outside of the offense? There's only so much he can do playing out of position and being the last offensive option. Until we see him at SF it's impossible to know how good he could be.

The 3rd year seems to be the year where young players take off, so my money is on Paul George.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

How about all 3 of them have a breakout year. Now that would be a delight.
    I'm a Beast

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    Why are you so concerned which wing position he plays?
    Offensively he's limited in what he can do going against smaller quicker players every game. At SF he'd have the advantage in speed in quickness against everyone not named LeBron and Iggy.

Defensively we're taking him away from the rim when he's chasing perimeter players, and I believe if he was given 36 minutes at SF, doing Danny's job, he'd lead our team in rebounding. He's probably our second best shot blocker, too.

His chances of becoming an all star player at SF are much higher than at SG imo.

btw i expect D. West to breakout...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorge View Post
    How about all 3 of them have a breakout year. Now that would be a delight.
    If all three of these guys have what could be called a breakout year we win the NBA championship. As of now I would say we need Paul George to have a breakout year more than the other two, so I will be cheering for that. Although I could see it being Hibbert.

I am sure Hibbert will improve. Hill might end up being the same player, would like to see some improvement. And yes Paul George could very well "get it" and be a force to be reckoned with night in and night out. We saw it in flashes last year.

Something important to remember is that Vogel has yet to have a real training camp to work with any of these guys. And George because of the lockout hasn't had a training camp since he was a rookie. He hasn't had the benefit of experience and being able to be coached.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

I could definitely see Paul George being the second leading scorer on this team, something like 16-18 ppg behind Danny at around 18-20. Nice to have three young guys who could all develop into something really special.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also last season, they had to add everything on the fly. The compressed schedule made it near impossible for them to work on anything outside of games.

Personally, I will be happy if Hill is the same player with a better entry pass. I think Paul George will appear most improved, but it will be a tossup between he and Hibbert.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think some of us are discounting George Hill a little bit. A lot of the things he brings to the court (leadership, clutch play, good teammate) don't show up in a box score. With that said, he still averaged 14 and 4.5 as the starter last year. This was during his first year with the team, without a full training camp, playing with the second unit for most of the season, and after missing time with his shoulder injury. The guy is only 26 years old and already has a rather mature and heady game. I don't think it'd be out of the question for him to average 14-15 ppg and about 5 assists per game, on good fg%.

Roy always comes back better than the season before, and I expect him to continue to be a defensive force for this team in the lane. He'll never be a dominant low-post scorer, but he doesn't have to be. His presence in the middle gives us a chance against every team in the league (when he's playing well of course) He also provides good intangibles off the court as well.

PG excites me and scares me at the same time. We all see is potential, both offensively and defensively. It's just a matter of putting it all together and becoming consistent. At this point, I see him upping his ppg by a few points by simply becoming more aggressive and getting to the FT line. I don't ever expect him to average over 21 ppg, but at the same time, I never expected Danny to average nearly 27 PPG either With the equally athletic and offensive minded Gerald Green coming in, I hope it pushes PG to be more aggressive. For some reason though, I still think he's a year away from TRULY breaking out, which means next year we'll see his play go up, but not fully to the potential of what he'll ultimately become.

I expect all 3 to have really good seasons, adding onto what each were able to do last year. I'm actually going against the grain and saying that G.Hill will be the "most improved" out of the 3 simply because he'll be consistently playing starter minutes for the first time in his career focusing primarily on one position.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I was thinking about starting a thread similar to this asking... Who will be the best player on the team next year? Of course, narrowing this down to PGeorge, GHill and Hibbert leaves Granger and West out of the equation, so of the three guys mentioned at the top, I'd go with PGeorge. At least I'm hoping PGeorge steps his game up enough to be the better player of the three.

I realize Hibbert got the big contract and all, but I think much of that is because of his uniqueness, not because he's going to be our most productive, or "best" player. He fills a rare void in the league today, so he got paid. I have no problem with that.

I do think a player who isn't getting much talk lately who could really step up and be the leader in many ways is West. A year removed from major knee surgery, he was a 19-8 guy before his injury. If he gets back to that level again, he might very well be the most productive player next year.
    I agree with everything you wrote but especially about David West. It usually takes a year to get your confidence and timing back after a major injury and West got a little better each month before playing great against Orlando and against the Heat until they went small and figured out a way to exploit him on defense by making him try to guard faster players like LeBron and Battier.

I expect a big season out of David West. It's a contract year. Nuff said.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

We really are looking at a situation where 7 of our 8 main guys have a legit chance to come in and play better than they did last year. That combined with a full training camp to learn defensive schemes like the zones Dallas used on Miami can make us a really scary team. And if Paul George and Hibbert can become the players we have seen flashes of next summer could become a particularly good time for Indiana basketball.