Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill

Default Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill

who do you think will have the most productive year out of Roy Hibbert, Paul George, and George Hill. I am going with Paul George, i think this is his breakout year.

Default Re: Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill

i hope it's Paul George. He is the guy with the most potential.

But if I had to pick, I'd pick Roy Hibbert. He is the guy that seems to be getting better every year.

It better be Roy Hibbert's overpaid ***.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Hib hib

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hib hib
    Hoo-Roy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

It's more likely going to be George Hill.. He's the most agressive one and he is strong mentally..
    I really Hope PG ups his scoring to 16 PPG.. We need him.. I can see GH easily having 18 ppg and 5-6 assist per game.
    Hibbert man.. As long as he is our defensive anchor he'll be worth every penny.. It's about defense.. 15 ppg would be icing on the cake.
    But I'll be happy if he becomes a paint monster.

By me ^^

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

I was thinking about starting a thread similar to this asking... Who will be the best player on the team next year? Of course, narrowing this down to PGeorge, GHill and Hibbert leaves Granger and West out of the equation, so of the three guys mentioned at the top, I'd go with PGeorge. At least I'm hoping PGeorge steps his game up enough to be the better player of the three.

I realize Hibbert got the big contract and all, but I think much of that is because of his uniqueness, not because he's going to be our most productive, or "best" player. He fills a rare void in the league today, so he got paid. I have no problem with that.

I do think a player who isn't getting much talk lately who could really step up and be the leader in many ways is West. A year removed from major knee surgery, he was a 19-8 guy before his injury. If he gets back to that level again, he might very well be the most productive player next year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its going to be Hibbert, but I wish it was George. If George doesn't get "it" together this year, the Pacers are screwed moving forward.

I think it will be Hibbert, indirectly because of Hill's improvement. I think that, given a full offseason and starting security, Hill will make a huge leap in the facilitating department; specifically in feeding Hibbert. I think Roy will be looking at an extra 3-4 shots a game this year (somewhere closer to 15, compared to the 10 he averaged this season) and will maintain his efficiency. To go with that I think that means Hill could see some APG boost and we will get to see what a full season of his statistics looks like when given consistent starter minutes.

I think George will improve drastically on offense this year (4-6ppg more) but I don't think his improvement will be enough to overcome Hibbert's overall value to this team.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Its going to be Hibbert, but I wish it was George. If George doesn't get "it" together this year, the Pacers are screwed moving forward.
    No they're not. If George doesn't get it together, the Pacers let him walk or trade him. If Hibbert doesn't get it together he will have a $58 million untradeable guaranteed contract. Now THAT would be screwed.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hibbert

I think we have put Danny, Roy and Paul on faster than realistic tracks, myself included (Danny in the past obviously). I think this is the year Roy rounds out what his NBA career game is going to be, meaning I don't expect drastic changes past this season in terms of output. I think NEXT YEAR will be where Paul really peaks out, though certainly we should expect more improvement this season.

It also helps that Roy is older than Paul and hitting his maturity/body-youth peak (old enough to know, young enough to do), Paul is several years his junior.

I really like George Hill but I think a big part of his success was getting right to his top form quickly with the Spurs. I don't think he's on a big progression track. Mostly I think he's finding his identity rather than improving his skill set. I really like Hill's game, I just don't see him as some "just you wait till 2 years from now" type. Hill to me has plateaued (at a solid level).

The core 5 will benefit more than any one guy as they get more PT together and improve their on-court comfort levels. Even last year you had the DC starting section, West was new too, and the schedule was compacted. When you saw the 1998-2000 team what you saw more than any one guy reaching his talent limit (all were plateaued well before then except Rose), you saw the power of FAMILIARITY. That was the growth mechanism in terms of team output improvement.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-17-2012 at 04:28 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    No they're not. If George doesn't get it together, the Pacers let him walk or trade him. If Hibbert doesn't get it together he will have a $58 million untradeable guaranteed contract. Now THAT would be screwed.
    If he doesn't get what together? As if we're putting him in a position to succeed... you guys crack me up with this non sense. You want to him to start blowing by midgets off the dribble? You want him to grab 8 boards at SG? You want him to chuck up 15 shots a game outside of the offense? There's only so much he can do playing out of position and being the last offensive option. Until we see him at SF it's impossible to know how good he could be.

Sports Logo

Biggest improvement? My guess is Paul George. In my opinion when you join the league and get playing time during the first two seasons, and get further credit during your 3rd year, it'll most likely be your breakout one (unless you have injuries). This is especially true for wings. You know what you can and can't do, you know what you gotta improve.
    I think Hibbert is going to improve, but not make a leap. He doesn't have that much potential.
    Hill will be Hill, I can see him having something like 12-14 ppg, 5-6 apg
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

I hope it's George, but my guess is he'll be tough pressed to match Hibbert's production this upcoming season.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    [/B]

If he doesn't get what together? As if we're putting him in a position to succeed... you guys crack me up with this non sense. You want to him to start blowing by midgets off the dribble? You want him to grab 8 boards at SG? You want him to chuck up 15 shots a game outside of the offense? There's only so much he can do playing out of position and being the last offensive option. Until we see him at SF it's impossible to know how good he could be.
    I don't know what your beef is with my post is. I was responding to a post where the original post used that phrasing. Those were the other poster's words, not mine.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Paul, if the measure is who improves the most. We are so impatient. He went from 7.8ppg to 12.1ppg over one season while raising his 3pt% dramatically. I fully expect his scoring average to exceed 15ppg this year and if he really blossoms he's going to be pushing 20ppg.

Roy will remain the team's MVP and we may see him improve further from his first all-star season. Hill is rather mature already and he may improve but only marginally. Paul is more likely than either to make a noticeable jump, partially due to his age and experience. He's getting to that age where his body is starting to mature and he will convert shots he used to miss simply due to maturity level. Unlike Hill, he's never had a preseason with a good coaching staff...and he's never really had good coaching like Hibbert did at GTown.

I don't know what your beef is with my post is. I was responding to a post where the original post used that phrasing. Those were the other poster's words, not mine.
    He desperately wants PG to be his mythical definition of a SF. So despite having his entire theory disputed in January of this year, he'll keep repeating it. Just ignore him. :-)
    Last edited by mattie; 07-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

lol disputed by who? I think more people agree then disagree with me at this point.

The idea going around here that Paul's some kinda disappoint is what bothers me. Especially, when it's partially our fault.

lol disputed by who? I think more people agree then disagree with me at this point.

The idea going around here that Paul's some kinda disappoint is what bothers me. Especially, when it's partially our fault.
    Though I'd agree that PG is more of a SF as opposed to a SG, but I don't agree that it's the "teams fault" that his progression is where it is. If he had the ability to be features within the offense more, why would we stop him from doing so? NO coach would do that. The number of shots and touches a player gets is based on both their ability (which results in more plays called for them) and aggressiveness. If Paul comes into training camp with a more polished offensive game, then he'll get the opportunity to do more offensively.

I will say this though, people are writing off the 22 yr old a lil quickly. Though he will never be T-Mac like so many wanted, he still could easily grow into a 17-19 ppg scorer simply by getting comfortable enough to be more aggressive and utilizing his size and athleticism.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When your wing players are a combination of Danny Granger, Paul George, and Gerald Green, you are always creating a mismatch somewhere. The team and Paul himself seem to be putting an emphasis on improving his ball-handling. If he can become an average ballhandler for SG he creates so many advantages FOR us that him playing slightly out of position shouldn't be an issue.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    It better be Roy Hibbert's overpaid ***.
    We were forced to overpay for Hibbert, and it's hard to argue against our decision to match. But Hill making $8mil a year being no better than a backup combo guard? No excuses for that.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

You're right... i shouldn't have quoted you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Though I'd agree that PG is more of a SF as opposed to a SG, but I don't agree that it's the "teams fault" that his progression is where it is. If he had the ability to be features within the offense more, why would we stop him from doing so? NO coach would do that. The number of shots and touches a player gets is based on both their ability (which results in more plays called for them) and aggressiveness. If Paul comes into training camp with a more polished offensive game, then he'll get the opportunity to do more offensively.

I will say this though, people are writing off the 22 yr old a lil quickly. Though he will never be T-Mac like so many wanted, he still could easily grow into a 17-19 ppg scorer simply by getting comfortable enough to be more aggressive and utilizing his size and athleticism.
    I think we're really holding the kid back. Playing him out of position with no play makers around him is setting him up for failure. As long as Danny feels the need to shoot 15+ shots per game, and we have West and Hibbert in the paint, I don't see Paul getting the shots he needs to develop into an all star caliber offensive player. If that's what we're banking on, we need to deal Danny and get a SG that can handle the ball and make a play asap.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    When your wing players are a combination of Danny Granger, Paul George, and Gerald Green, you are always creating a mismatch somewhere. The team and Paul himself seem to be putting an emphasis on improving his ball-handling. If he can become an average ballhandler for SG he creates so many advantages FOR us that him playing slightly out of position shouldn't be an issue.
    He'll get better when he starts playing with more confidence. Occasionally he'd show some good ball handling skills, but he was thinking too much at times instead of just playing IMO.

If we're gonna keep him at SG I'd rather him work on a post game, though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    We were forced to overpay for Hibbert, and it's hard to argue against our decision to match. But Hill making $8mil a year being no better than a backup combo guard? No excuses for that.
    i disagree. hill is probably worth 6.5 to 7M on the open market. also considering hill is locked in for five.. by then 8M will be a bargain. it would be relative to 6M or so by then easily. those who understand dollar inflation understand the point im making here.

so we overpaid 1M for a hometown kid who is good in the community, and has a championship pedigree. imo pacers coulda saved a million but its not as bad a signing as some fans want to make it out to be.

i also disagree hill has peaked, i think his shooting can and will improve. also, a year with the same players and continuity will be huge for him as well..

in many ways a point gaurd is a floor general and we have searched for one .. hill is not that pure pg on the floor but he is a general in some ways. hill has strong leadership abilities most likely inherited as a member of the spurs.

if i had to choose mayo or hill.. i go hill at 8M. for the simple fact i know what we are getting with hill. mayo is way too much of a wildcard.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Mood

IMO I see PG having a break out season this year. It will be close because I see big Roy coming in with imptovement as well. I am hoping Hill will come in and focus more on running the offense and being a distributor. His stats may not show the improvement but he will have almost as much impact on the teams success. Add to the fact that I see Danny and West improved due to spacing made by the our young three. I also see that even with PG and big Roy out the 2nd unit players will be much better because of the improvement in athleticism and scoring potential.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

at this time paul is fine at sg. in two seasons from now when he adds another 10+ lbs of muscle we can slide him to sf.. which is most likely about the same time grangers contract expires.

i see no rush in turing george into the primary offensive weapon simply because i dont believe he is ready. nothing wrong with having paul focus on defense and letting his offense come to him.

anyone who considers george a dissapointing right now in his career is not worthy of paying attn to imho.