Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115

Thread: Mayo to the Mavs...

  1. #1
    Rejuvinated dewman_32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Age
    42
    Posts
    157
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Mayo to the Mavs...

    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

    4 million possibly? Did we miss the boat here?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    $8mil for Mayo + Scola? And we paid Hill how much...?

  3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  4. #3
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    I don't think we did, he wanted the big money and we wouldn't have even had the 4 mil past Sunday. The market dictated his worth and he went to a place where he can compete for the starting spot, for 4 mil (if that is correct).
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  5. #4
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Larry Bird is must be pissed after reading about this. Mayo for 4 million a year....omg.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    There is no ****ing way he took 4 million.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,957

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    I figured he'd get at least 6 million per. Another find by the Mavs.

  10. #7
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    lets wait for something beyond speculation. i don't believe he would take 4 mil. S&T is much more likely.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    what is disheartening is that the mavs offseason plans blow up completely, and they still--easily--end with a more exciting set of acquisitions than we do.

    to be fair, i say "more exciting" rather than "better" but i would argue both are true.

    brand+dahntay+dc+mayo+kaman has got to be > than mahini+augustine+green

  13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  14. #9

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    IAMAGM.com ‏@IAMAGM
    O.J. Mayo looking for $8M per year, Suns not interested http://www.iamagm.com/article/oj-may

    ^This was 2 hours ago. I have a hard time believing he signed for $4M a year.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    The market set his value. Plain and simple.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,851
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The market set his value. Plain and simple.
    Wish our FO would of done that with Hill instead of severally over pay bidding against themselves .

    I dont see a S&T here the Grizz aren't in the mode of taking salary on to their team.


    Probably a 1 year deal with a chance to show he can produce on a playoff type team to go get paid next year.


    But George Hill at 5yrs 40m

    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-17-2012 at 12:25 AM.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  20. #12

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by dewman_32 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

    4 million possibly? Did we miss the boat here?
    We missed ALOT of boats this off season and added a few whales.

    There were so many moves, yet none of them were actually really good. They had to sign Roy, so I give them that, but vastly overpaid him. Then, as if that weren't enough, they vastly overpaid George Hill, they traded DJones and DC for nothing but capspace, took a gamble at 4mpy on a back up center, got another guard who has not proved he can stay in the league yet and got a 1 year rental for a back up point guard, who I think will be better than DC, but who knows really... It appears from the outside looking in that there were many missed opportunities because of not being able to change plans on the fly and being stubborn in what seemed like back up plans for every other team.

    We will still have a good team, possibly better than last years, but not as good as it could have been.

  21. #13
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We missed ALOT of boats this off season and added a few whales.

    There were so many moves, yet none of them were actually really good. They had to sign Roy, so I give them that, but vastly overpaid him. Then, as if that weren't enough, they vastly overpaid George Hill, they traded DJones and DC for nothing but capspace, took a gamble at 4mpy on a back up center, got another guard who has not proved he can stay in the league yet and got a 1 year rental for a back up point guard, who I think will be better than DC, but who knows really... It appears from the outside looking in that there were many missed opportunities because of not being able to change plans on the fly and being stubborn in what seemed like back up plans for every other team.

    We will still have a good team, possibly better than last years, but not as good as it could have been.
    Mayo was waiting until the suns were finished dealing with Gordon. They didn't wanna pay him 8mil, and Mayo suddenly realized that he wasn't gonna get the money he wanted. We couldn't risk waiting THAT long to get him. In sure Roy and George's agents were ready to get something done. We flirted with acquiring the guy for 3 yrs and still couldn't make it happen because he wanted 8mil. He only took 4mil bc he didn't have a choice.

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont see a S&T here the Grizz aren't in the mode of taking salary on to their team.
    More likely, the Mavs would use the trade exception that they got from the Clippers for Odom.

    That would allow them to pay Mayo 8.2 mil next year.

    The Mavs could add a 2d pick maybe, although a trade exception on its own is pretty nice, if you are the Grizzlies. You just never know when a Steve Nash wants to come your way.

    To me, that sounds much more likely than this 3-4 mil speculation. Why would he do that. I doubt tht nobody would even give him the midlevel.

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,220
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    It's a two year deal with the second year being a player option. He took 4 million because he knows he's going to try to play his *** off, opt out, and get paid again next summer.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  27. #16
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,426
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    If you look at his numbers, poor playoff performance, and his steady decline he is not worth a whole lot more than 4 million per season.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and get paid again next summer.
    another 4 mil?

    there are no guarantees in this regard. what if he gets injured.
    what if noone offers much again. it's not like this was a down year in terms of spending.

    i can get 1 year deals if it's a Jeff Green type of deal. 1 year huge deal, above the market value, and you try to prove your worth. But it's still a huge risk.

    but taking less money and less years. it makes no sense for a young guy looking for his 1st contract.

  30. #18
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,432
    Mood

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    When it came down to it I'd rather have Hill than Mayo. I hope the best for Mayo out west but I like what Hill brings to our team and the continuity that has remained in our starting five.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


  32. #19

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you look at his numbers, poor playoff performance, and his steady decline he is not worth a whole lot more than 4 million per season.
    He had one bad year, that hardly qualifies as a steady decline. I think he can get back to his old form if he gets his minutes and perhaps a change of scenery.

  33. #20
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More likely, the Mavs would use the trade exception that they got from the Clippers for Odom.
    on the other hand, I wonder if they have it. i don't follow the Mavs enough to know without checking. but depending on the timing of all those moves, they very likely lost it before they got Kaman.

  34. #21
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,426
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He had one bad year, that hardly qualifies as a steady decline. I think he can get back to his old form if he gets his minutes and perhaps a change of scenery.
    Try again. He has been in the league for four years and the past two years have been much worse than his first two. Check the numbers.

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/oj_mayo/career_stats.html

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  36. #22
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Wow what a failure by our FO with Hill he is gonna have to show a lot to justify the 8mil a year

    Typical overpay
    Attached Images Attached Images

  37. #23
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,178

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    It feels like Mayo is already a Pacers. It's just a matter of time...

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:


  39. #24
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,335

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Mayo's gotten really, really overrated. That's really all I have to say about it. He did not sign for 4 mil or whatever. Watch.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  41. #25
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,318

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Nice move by them. Their 'worst case' plan worked out pretty nicely
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Similar Threads

  1. OJ Mayo?
    By Pacers24Colts12 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM
  2. OJ Mayo
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
  3. O.J. Mayo? No thanks.
    By Reginald in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM
  4. Gay, Mayo play big D to put Grizzlies past Mavs [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2010, 12:50 AM
  5. Mayo's 18 second-half points keep Mavs at bay [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •