Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mayo to the Mavs...

Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

I feel better about my team investing $8mil in G. Hill rather than Mayo any day of the week.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Meanwhile, is anybody in the West scared of this team? I still think they should have kept Tyson Chandler.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Wish our FO would of done that with Hill instead of severally over pay bidding against themselves .

I dont see a S&T here the Grizz aren't in the mode of taking salary on to their team.

Probably a 1 year deal with a chance to show he can produce on a playoff type team to go get paid next year.

Walsh should have let Hill explore his option in FA since Hill was a RFA. Hill would never have gotten the contract Walsh gave him. That way Walsh would have saved Simon some money. Seriously, who was going to pay Hill 8 mil a year? Obviously, not the Spurs! This is why Hibbert getting an offer from Portland saved the Pacers and extra year and millions too.

This is why Memphis wanted to trade Mayo last year to the Pacers... they couldn't afford to re-sign him.

If Mayo is smart, he signed a 2 year contract, like Crawford did, with the 2nd year a player option. That way he has the security of the 2nd year just in case something unexpectedly happens such as an injury, his skill level falls off, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

The market set his value. Plain and simple.

And the market would have set Hill's value as well instead of Walsh.

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    More likely, the Mavs would use the trade exception that they got from the Clippers for Odom.

That would allow them to pay Mayo 8.2 mil next year.

The Mavs could add a 2d pick maybe, although a trade exception on its own is pretty nice, if you are the Grizzlies. You just never know when a Steve Nash wants to come your way.

To me, that sounds much more likely than this 3-4 mil speculation. Why would he do that. I doubt tht nobody would even give him the midlevel.

The Mavs using the TE changes the look of the possible signing. So are you saying you feel it is for a 1 year contract too?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    When it came down to it I'd rather have Hill than Mayo. I hope the best for Mayo out west but I like what Hill brings to our team and the continuity that has remained in our starting five.
    This.

I have a feeling Mayo would frustrate more than perform. Just not a big Mayo guy. Not saying the Hill deal is the perfect deal, but all in all, I'm happy with getting him signed rather than putting him off in the hope that we'd get Mayo. We could have ended up with neither.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    lets wait for something beyond speculation. i don't believe he would take 4 mil. S&T is much more likely.
    Sign and trade with who? He was unrestricted. The Grizz can't go over the cap to sign him unless they use their MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Sign and trade with who? He was unrestricted. The Grizz can't go over the cap to sign him unless they use their MLE.
    Didn't Memphis have his Bird rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Didn't Memphis have his Bird rights?
    They did, but then they declined to give him a qualifying offer.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Wow what a failure by our FO with Hill he is gonna have to show a lot to justify the 8mil a year

Typical overpay
    Overpaying is Donnie's signature.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    what is disheartening is that the mavs offseason plans blow up completely, and they still--easily--end with a more exciting set of acquisitions than we do.

to be fair, i say "more exciting" rather than "better" but i would argue both are true.

brand+dahntay+dc+mayo+kaman has got to be > than mahini+augustine+green
    If you are going to look at it that way, you have to add Hibbert and Hill to our side of ledger. We had to resign them which meant we could go after everyone Dallas did. I don't see that group doing much for making Dallas a threat in the West.....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    And the market would have set Hill's value as well instead of Walsh.
    You don't know that and if they waited until he signed an offer with another team it could have been for more or had a poison pill attached ala Linsanity.....

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post

Overpaying is Donnie's signature.

I'd THANK YOU more if was possible!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

what is disheartening is that the mavs offseason plans blow up completely, and they still--easily--end with a more exciting set of acquisitions than we do.

to be fair, i say "more exciting" rather than "better" but i would argue both are true.

I think you feel it's more exciting because it's not our team that made the moves. Also when you more or less gut your roster then there's going to be excitement and the need to improve. The Pacers didn't make bold moves because they didn't have to. They were a playoff team that improved and have improved the last 2 years. They had young improving players that they re-signed. That isn't glamorous or flashy and didn't draw ESPN headlines so it wasn't exciting.

On the Mayo issue - he was expecting to get 8 million up until a day or 2 ago but the free agent market dried up and he was stuck getting the scraps.

I like what the FO has done. Roy's and Hill's contracts are looking like relative bargains compared to what Lin, Asik and some of these other guys are getting. The FO has improved the depth of this team while keeping the future salary cap implications in check. I'm looking forward to watching this team win 50+ games next year, compete for the 3 seed and continue to improve.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    You don't know that and if they waited until he signed an offer with another team it could have been for more or had a poison pill attached ala Linsanity.....

I guess you missed the discussion as to why the Rockets could give Lin a poison pill type contract. It doesn't apply to Hill.

Again, the market should have set Hill's value. W/o a doubt in my mind the market would have set Hill's value lower than Walsh did. You can best believe Hill's agent didn't want anyone other than Walsh making an offer! He knew his best offer was coming from Walsh.

Banned
    Mood

I guess you missed the discussion as to why the Rockets could give Lin a poison pill type contract. It doesn't apply to Hill.

Again, the market should have set Hill's value. W/o a doubt in my mind the market would have set Hill's value lower than Walsh did. You can best believe Hill's agent didn't want anyone other than Walsh making an offer! He knew his best offer was coming from Walsh.
    I can't help that you have no doubt in your mind. I always thought Hill would have brought just about what he did. I think there were offers but Hill went back to Walsh with them instead of making them public. He is a good player and the contract is about right.....

Theres no way he accepted $4 million. He wanted $10 million from Memphis....then $8 million from Suns.

Mahinmi got $4 million / season
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    I think you feel it's more exciting because it's not our team that made the moves. Also when you more or less gut your roster then there's going to be excitement and the need to improve. The Pacers didn't make bold moves because they didn't have to. They were a playoff team that improved and have improved the last 2 years. They had young improving players that they re-signed. That isn't glamorous or flashy and didn't draw ESPN headlines so it wasn't exciting.

On the Mayo issue - he was expecting to get 8 million up until a day or 2 ago but the free agent market dried up and he was stuck getting the scraps.

I like what the FO has done. Roy's and Hill's contracts are looking like relative bargains compared to what Lin, Asik and some of these other guys are getting. The FO has improved the depth of this team while keeping the future salary cap implications in check. I'm looking forward to watching this team win 50+ games next year, compete for the 3 seed and continue to improve.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Perfect place for Mayo, it would be worth a pay cut to go there. He will play 38 minutes a game if he doesn't suxor.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    They did, but then they declined to give him a qualifying offer.
    that's not the same as renouncing Bird rights.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I would imagine that he will be in a s&t so Dallas can use their trade exception of 8+ mil..

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

I'd say they had a better summer by far and really put our F.O. to shame.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'd say they had a better summer by far and really put our F.O. to shame.
    I think you are confusing activity with accomplishment. It's not the number of guys you add to a team, it's the team that ends up on the court that matters. None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas. That says to me Dallas is, probably, a 30 win team and the Pacers are, probably, a 50 win team.

The Mavs using the TE changes the look of the possible signing. So are you saying you feel it is for a 1 year contract too?
    after I checked the time of that trade and their other moves, I now believe they don't have that exception. they had to renounce/lose it when they signed Kaman.
    in which case my theory goes kaboom. a S&T still possible, but much more unlikely.

I like Mayo as a player but reading the particulars of the deal I'm glad the Pacers didn't sign him to this kind of deal. Pacers could in all likelihood be serious championship contenders, on the second rung below the top two or three teams. Don't really want a guy gunning for his next contract in that situation.