Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mayo to the Mavs...

Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you are confusing activity with accomplishment. It's not the number of guys you add to a team, it's the team that ends up on the court that matters. None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas. That says to me Dallas is, probably, a 30 win team and the Pacers are, probably, a 50 win team.
    I'm just looking at the quality of the players and the price paid. Kaman alone gives the Mavs a slam dunk in the quality of players. I'd take Kaman on the Pacers at 8 mil over Ian at 4 all day. He'd fill the backup role of 2 players and give you 15 and 10. Ian and Hans combined won't give you that.
    I haven't thought enough about where Dallas will end up but I'm sure they'll win a lot more then 30 games. I still see Dallas as a playoff team unless Dirk goes out. Even though they had to go with plan b, they've upgraded their front court. Their backcourt may have taken a step back but Kidd was washed up. Terry was a loss though. I'd see them still pulling in 45-50 wins.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'd say they had a better summer by far and really put our F.O. to shame.
    Their FA signings might've been more interesting but when you look at the players they added, you realize there's not a lot to get excited about if you're a Mavs fan.

Collison, Jones, and Mayo finished the season coming off the bench last year. Brand is likely a bench player this season and he's slowing down rapidly. Kaman was a good signing for them plus he and Dirk are friends. But over all they were in a totally different situation than the Pacers. They needed to upgrade and replace their starters. The Pacers needed to upgrade their bench.

Players like OJ Mayo and Kaman want to start. They wouldn't have that opportunity in Indy so they probably wouldn't have signed with the Pacers. It's a moot point because if the Pacers paid Kaman and Mayo the money they're getting from Dallas, they'd be over the luxury tax limit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wait, what's this about? Jones seemed like a great teammate.
    I wish Wells would elaborate but there might be something to it. Remember the Disney World dust up - Jones was part of that group. It may be unrelated but he did hang out with the youngsters quite a bit.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    I wish Wells would elaborate but there might be something to it. Remember the Disney World dust up - Jones was part of that group. It may be unrelated but he did hang out with the youngsters quite a bit.
    The one where morons chased fes?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    The one where morons chased fes?
    Right. I wouldn't exactly call a bunch of drunken idiots mouthing off to some really tall rich guys a "dustup." There's video of it, all our guys didn't say a word and just walked to their hotel.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'm just looking at the quality of the players and the price paid. Kaman alone gives the Mavs a slam dunk in the quality of players. I'd take Kaman on the Pacers at 8 mil over Ian at 4 all day. He'd fill the backup role of 2 players and give you 15 and 10. Ian and Hans combined won't give you that.
    I haven't thought enough about where Dallas will end up but I'm sure they'll win a lot more then 30 games. I still see Dallas as a playoff team unless Dirk goes out. Even though they had to go with plan b, they've upgraded their front court. Their backcourt may have taken a step back but Kidd was washed up. Terry was a loss though. I'd see them still pulling in 45-50 wins.
    1. Who's to say that Kaman would want to come here to come off the bench, especially when he has a chance to start elsewhere? He complained about not being a starter in NO.
    2. If we were to get Kaman at 8mil, then we probably wouldn't have had room to add Green, and then we're still short a bench scorer on the wing.
    3. Kaman is basically an older, slower and more broken down version of Roy MINUS the defensive presence. So what we would gain in another high post scorer and above average rebounder, we lose athleticism, versatility and upside (which is what Ian brings)

I agree with Naptownmenace. Dallas has had big changes, but I'm not sure how much they've IMPROVED.

Pacers starting 5 >> DAL starting 5. None of their starters start for us EXCEPT Dirk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    You really think that is a 35-win roster or worse? I think Dallas wins at least 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I think they will make the playoffs. Barely......
    I don't see it myself. Dirk is really good, but I don't see this group working.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    I don't see it myself. Dirk is really good, but I don't see this group working.
    i have doubts about fit too. Defense at center? IQ at point?
    Also, chemistry/stability can't be underrated.
    In terms of pure individual talent I think they've upgraded.
    Kaman/Brand/DC/Mayo/Dahntay instead of Haywood/Mahinmi/Kidd/Terry/Delonte. Depends on health. But on paper, I'd say it's an upgrade.
    It will be very interesting to see what Carlisle does with those pieces.

They were on ~45 win pace this year. I don't believe it's 35. But I wouldn't be shocked if it's .500.
    Nor would I be shocked if it's 50, although that would be COY performance by Carlisle.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Right. I wouldn't exactly call a bunch of drunken idiots mouthing off to some really tall rich guys a "dustup." There's video of it, all our guys didn't say a word and just walked to their hotel.
    I agree that it appeared our guys were innocent - but maybe there is more to it - I don't know. However I was surprised by Wells comments about Jones but the way he made them on the air struck me as it was common knowledge and he wasn't concerned about any backlash.

I can see Dallas winning 40-45 games with this group, mostly because of Carlisle's coaching. A lot will depend on how well having 3 guys playing for new contracts work together. DC will be fine but Brand and especially Mayo may not.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Their FA signings might've been more interesting but when you look at the players they added, you realize there's not a lot to get excited about if you're a Mavs fan.

Collison, Jones, and Mayo finished the season coming off the bench last year. Brand is likely a bench player this season and he's slowing down rapidly. Kaman was a good signing for them plus he and Dirk are friends. But over all they were in a totally different situation than the Pacers. They needed to upgrade and replace their starters. The Pacers needed to upgrade their bench.

Players like OJ Mayo and Kaman want to start. They wouldn't have that opportunity in Indy so they probably wouldn't have signed with the Pacers. It's a moot point because if the Pacers paid Kaman and Mayo the money they're getting from Dallas, they'd be over the luxury tax limit.

How quickly we forget Collison started 50 plus games last year and was only replaced as the starter due to an injury? It's not like he played off the bench the whole season like Dahntay did. In this respect, I can see where Mav fans would be extremely elated to get a young player who was a starter on a team that had the 5th best record in the NBA last season and still on a rookie contract.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I agree that it appeared our guys were innocent - but maybe there is more to it - I don't know. However I was surprised by Wells comments about Jones but the way he made them on the air struck me as it was common knowledge and he wasn't concerned about any backlash.

I can see Dallas winning 40-45 games with this group, mostly because of Carlisle's coaching. A lot will depend on how well having 3 guys playing for new contracts work together. DC will be fine but Brand and especially Mayo may not.
    I honestly don't think Wells knows what he's talking about with this calling Dahntay a bad influence on the young guys stuff.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Unfortunately I was in and out of my car for appointments so I didn't hear a lot of it but they had John Hollinger on regarding his blasting of the Pacers for the DC/Jones trade. Hollinger re-iterated the things he's been Tweeting saying the Pacers could've signed Manhinmi outright. He likes DC more than Augustin but Wells said that DC wasn't going to re-sign as a backup.

Wells also said Jones was affecting the young guys in a negative way as well which was a factor in them trying to get rid of him.
    How does a general comment get linked to a specific incident without any indication from anyone?

I seem to recall stories that he accepted criticism and his benching better on some days than on others - wasn't that supposedly part of what happened with Lance? Just that could be enough to say that he was "affecting the young guys", it doesn't have to be something earth-shattering. We still seem to take any comment about the locker room to the extreme around here.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    How quickly we forget Collison started 50 plus games last year and was only replaced as the starter due to an injury? It's not like he played off the bench the whole season like Dahntay did. In this respect, I can see where Mav fans would be extremely elated to get a young player who was a starter on a team that had the 5th best record in the NBA last season and still on a rookie contract.
    This is a true statement. But at the same time, the Pacers played their best stretch of the season with G.Hill as the starter, and DC couldn't manage to regain his starting spot back once he came back from the injury.

So is he a player that was a starter on a team w/ the 5th best record, or is he a player that got injured and was so outplayed by his backup turned starter, that he remained on the bench for the rest of the season and playoffs? I think it's a good question to ask.

I'm not the biggest Mayo fan in the world, but for $4.25M a season we should have been all over that.

Very disappointed in our new FO so far.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

How do you know Mayo wanted to play for the Pacers and come off the bench? Our FO did a very good job in improving the bench but you can't sign players if they don't want to play for you.

Sucks we couldn't sign Mayo for that kind of money, but I trust our FO doing whatever they could to convince him.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Let's see... They lost Kidd, Mahinmi, Haywood, Odom, and Terry and replaced them with Collison, Brand, Kaman, Mayo, and Jones. We've lost Collison, Jones, Barbosa, and Amundson while adding Augustin, Green, Mahinmi, Johnson, and Plumlee. They've added four impact players while losing one and we have added one and maybe 2 depending on Green while losing two. I would say they have had a better offseason. The more that I think about it, the more disappointed I am in our offseason, especially if we don't bring Barbosa back.

I was really hoping we would get an actual starter to put on the bench who could play 30 a game like a Carl Landry or something. At least. All we did was re-shuffle the deck to fill the gap of specific holes. PnR defense, pure shooting, size, and surrounding talent to complement Stephenson. Not saying that's a terrible idea but isn't the glorious summer I was thinking about back in 2010 when we were stuck with Murphy, Dunleavy, and JOB...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Part of me said, "GREAT, now these OJ Mayo lovers can stop with the blah blah blah, and we can focus on reality", when I heard the news about Mayo and the Mavs. Then I woke up and realized certain people prefer to drown themselves in their own self-inflicted misery. I'm sure that there is discussions about how the Mavs kicked our *** in free agency and how our owners and management sucks. Maybe a discussion about how we should have signed Mayo instead of Hill. Blah blah blah. Forgive me, but I will not read this thread and a large part of me is happy this overrated role player won't be a part of this team.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Part of me said, "GREAT, now these OJ Mayo lovers can stop with the blah blah blah, and we can focus on reality", when I heard the news about Mayo and the Mavs. Then I woke up and realized certain people prefer to drown themselves in their own self-inflicted misery. I'm sure that there is discussions about how the Mavs kicked our *** in free agency and how our owners and management sucks. Maybe a discussion about how we should have signed Mayo instead of Hill. Blah blah blah. Forgive me, but I will not read this thread and a large part of me is happy this overrated role player won't be a part of this team.
    Well said and right on point......

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Let's see... They lost Kidd, Mahinmi, Haywood, Odom, and Terry and replaced them with Collison, Brand, Kaman, Mayo, and Jones. We've lost Collison, Jones, Barbosa, and Amundson while adding Augustin, Green, Mahinmi, Johnson, and Plumlee. They've added four impact players while losing one and we have added one and maybe 2 depending on Green while losing two. I would say they have had a better offseason. The more that I think about it, the more disappointed I am in our offseason, especially if we don't bring Barbosa back.

I was really hoping we would get an actual starter to put on the bench who could play 30 a game like a Carl Landry or something. At least. All we did was re-shuffle the deck to fill the gap of specific holes. PnR defense, pure shooting, size, and surrounding talent to complement Stephenson. Not saying that's a terrible idea but isn't the glorious summer I was thinking about back in 2010 when we were stuck with Murphy, Dunleavy, and JOB...
    You leave two things out, Hill and Hibbert. We resigned them long term. Advantage-Pacers........

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm not the biggest Mayo fan in the world, but for $4.25M a season we should have been all over that.

I don't get your logic. He took less money ($4.25 M) to play specifically for the Mavs. There is no guarantee that he would have done the same for us.

Edit. Maybe this hasn't been posted yet. The Suns offered him more and he chose the Mavs instead.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._For_Mavericks
    Last edited by IndySDExport; 07-20-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Banned
    Mood

You would have been willing to take on a locker room problem? There is a reason he only got that much money. I am glad he went elsewhere......

Mood

A volume shooter with attitude concerns? Look, I am far from thrilled with everything we have done, but not giving Mayo 4 mil. is far from my biggest criticism.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    A volume shooter with attitude concerns? Look, I am far from thrilled with everything we have done, but not giving Mayo 4 mil. is far from my biggest criticism.
    What you said!!

Quote Originally Posted by IndySDExport View Post
    I don't get your logic. He took less money ($4.25 M) to play specifically for the Mavs. There is no guarantee that he would have done the same for us.

Edit. Maybe this hasn't been posted yet. The Suns offered him more and he chose the Mavs instead.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._For_Mavericks
    He was only gonna play here if we offered him 8 mil+. Same thing with Kaman. He wasn't gonna sign for less here.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Good for him for refusing more money. I wonder what was the offer and how many years.

I can't recall a young guy taking less money on his first post-rookie contract to go to a contender. Very risky, I wouldn't do the same in his place, and I certainly didn't anticipate him doing it. I'll root for him to succeed next season.