Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mayo to the Mavs...

Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas.
    i think Kaman will be starting. that's the only certain one.
    DC,Mayo,Dahntay all have competition on the roster (Beaubois, Carter, Marion). Maybe they start all season, maybe they start at the beginning and lose the job, or the opposite. But it's more like DC-George Hill situation, really.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any of you "The Pacer front office missed the boat" silly persons ever consider that Mayo maybe did not want to come here? Or that the Griz simply did not like what the Pacers offered them on two occassions (I wouldn't have either).?

The Pacers are better off with Green.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    i think Kaman will be starting. that's the only certain one.
    DC,Mayo,Dahntay all have competition on the roster (Beaubois, Carter, Marion). Maybe they start all season, maybe they start at the beginning and lose the job, or the opposite. But it's more like DC-George Hill situation, really.
    OK, you are correct about Marion. He will start. Not sure about any of the other guys. But even with Dirk and Marion, this team will win fewer games next year than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Try again. He has been in the league for four years and the past two years have been much worse than his first two. Check the numbers.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/oj_mayo/career_stats.html
    oh dang I thought it had been just one year. My bad

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gerald Green was better than Mayo last year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    It is all good. He is just so inconsistent. Based on the given night you could surmise that he is having a really good year.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I like Mayo as a player but reading the particulars of the deal I'm glad the Pacers didn't sign him to this kind of deal. Pacers could in all likelihood be serious championship contenders, on the second rung below the top two or three teams. Don't really want a guy gunning for his next contract in that situation.
    Good point and I heard Wells today mention that the FO had a concern about Mayo's effect on the locker room - especially the younger guys. I haven't really heard much about how his teammates like him but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit of a diva.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fwpacerfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    Good point and I heard Wells today mention that the FO had a concern about Mayo's effect on the locker room - especially the younger guys. I haven't really heard much about how his teammates like him but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit of a diva.
    Anything else of note from Wells today?

Apparently, it didn't cause Bird any concern. I can say I'm glad Mayo isn't a Pacer.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Overpaying is Donnie's signature.
    Impossible in a SMALL MARKET with a CHEAP OWNER.

Oh paradoxes, so much fun. Does anyplace spawn more contradictions than internet sports discussion?

It's not people contradicting themselves, it's the population coming to conclusions that contradict each other but come from the exact same data set.

BTW, I would agree that if DW has a history it's NOT a failure to acquire talent (look at his epic trade record, some real GOAT gems in there - Det, Jax/Rose for nothing), it's his history of overpaying to keep the team together. I don't think it's automatically a bad thing, he's just not known as the guy who gets the best deals, that's not his forte.

Having said that, this summer does seem like a lot of missed opportunities and yet tons of spending.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

And Mayo's STERIOD suspension and CARD GAME FIGHT on a team flight don't suggest Mr. Chemistry. I liked him as a prospect and think some of his rep going to USC was BS, but there are some flags that while he works hard he's not a great locker room type.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Anything else of note from Wells today?
    Unfortunately I was in and out of my car for appointments so I didn't hear a lot of it but they had John Hollinger on regarding his blasting of the Pacers for the DC/Jones trade. Hollinger re-iterated the things he's been Tweeting saying the Pacers could've signed Manhinmi outright. He likes DC more than Augustin but Wells said that DC wasn't going to re-sign as a backup.

Wells also said Jones was affecting the young guys in a negative way as well which was a factor in them trying to get rid of him.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    If you are going to look at it that way, you have to add Hibbert and Hill to our side of ledger. We had to resign them which meant we could go after everyone Dallas did. I don't see that group doing much for making Dallas a threat in the West.....
    Darren Collison, Rodrigue Beaubois
    OJ Mayo, Vince Carter
    Shawn Marion, Dahntay Jones
    Elton Brand, Brandon Wright
    Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Kaman

Good thing we're not in the west then. I love our roster but if you think that team isn't a threat, then we're not a threat to Miami, Chicago, NY etc. Can't wait to battle Philly again.

I think you are confusing activity with accomplishment. It's not the number of guys you add to a team, it's the team that ends up on the court that matters. None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas. That says to me Dallas is, probably, a 30 win team and the Pacers are, probably, a 50 win team.
    Collison is definitely starting. Brand/Kaman will start depending on whether Dirk plays PF or C. Mayo should also start.

By my calculations, they added 3 starters. Agree to disagree I guess.

Collison, Brand and Kaman... weren't all 3 starters? And Mayo coming off the bench doesn't mean he couldn't be a starter. See James Harden... he's definitely better than Thabo

I wonder about some of you guys.. Do you guys play 2k that much?

We all see Mayo and J.R Smith receive small deals.. Do you think there might be a reason? for some reason many here

View Mayo as a scoring god machine? He isn't very effecient and isn't that good of a scorer.. There is a reason why the Grizzlies didn't retain him and have

been wanting to trade him for about 1 in a half now. He is also a bad locker room guy. Do you not remember the locker room fight he had with Tony Allen..

But yet we have people here over looking GH.. Just as good on scoring and better defensively.. Not to mention a more sane head and a leader. I forget the

the amount of wins we had as a team with him running the point. You guys think everything is about plugin in and out. When in reality it doesn't work that way.

We are building a team here.. Why didn't you guys get **** off that we didn't get Beasley? by the same logic you guys use on GH and Mayo!

Beasley>>>> West.. More scoring and much cheeper and younger no?

By me ^^

Unfortunately I was in and out of my car for appointments so I didn't hear a lot of it but they had John Hollinger on regarding his blasting of the Pacers for the DC/Jones trade. Hollinger re-iterated the things he's been Tweeting saying the Pacers could've signed Manhinmi outright. He likes DC more than Augustin but Wells said that DC wasn't going to re-sign as a backup.

Wells also said Jones was affecting the young guys in a negative way as well which was a factor in them trying to get rid of him.

Not like Augustin will re-sign either if he has a good year. If he can look good on the Bobcats, he'll look better on the Pacers.

P.s. Am I blind or what happened to bold, underlined, link, image etc???? I know the html for it but where did it go????

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I wonder about some of you guys.. Do you guys play 2k that much?

We all see Mayo and J.R Smith receive small deals.. Do you think there might be a reason? for some reason many here

View Mayo as a scoring god machine? He isn't very effecient and isn't that good of a scorer.. There is a reason why the Grizzlies didn't retain him and have

been wanting to trade him for about 1 in a half now. He is also a bad locker room guy. Do you not remember the locker room fight he had with Tony Allen..

But yet we have people here over looking GH.. Just as good on scoring and better defensively.. Not to mention a more sane head and a leader. I forget the

the amount of wins we had as a team with him running the point. You guys think everything is about plugin in and out. When in reality it doesn't work that way.

We are building a team here.. Why didn't you guys get **** off that we didn't get Beasley? by the same logic you guys use on GH and Mayo!

Beasley>>>> West.. More scoring and much cheeper and younger no?
    I haven't played any basketball game since 2k8, so... 2007?

Just because you disagree with people doesn't automatically mean they're basing it on a game.

What I do know is, did you even watch Grizzlies games? You basing things on boxscores without watching is just as bad as people wanting to trade based on a game.

I'm a Tennessee Vol fan.... I watched most Memphis games. Not saying he should be a PG but he's as much as one as George Hill and going to make half as much, plus he can take over games. OJ Mayo is only 24... I've watched him carry Memphis. You know why they didn't re-sign him?? They couldn't afford to. That's what happens when you pay Rude Gay 20 million a year.

Your assumption is inaccurate.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

I have been folling OJ since his USC days.. Demar is better at there points in there NBA career. Not to mention that he
    has the much higher floor then OJ. Oj was a huge disapointment here. His shot selection is poor.. We are much better with George Hill trust me.
    Also, Oj is not very coachable, he is stubborn. He always wants to things his way. He had monster hype but never lived up to it.

By me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Not like Augustin will re-sign either if he has a good year. If he can look good on the Bobcats, he'll look better on the Pacers.

P.s. Am I blind or what happened to bold, underlined, link, image etc???? I know th
    e html for it but where did it go????
    It's not like he Won't either. Everyone assumes that no one wants to play for a team that is competing for at least a deep playoff run every year. Not everyone is chasing the most money, some guys actually want to win as well.

If DJ has a great year I would think the Pacers would be in the driver's seat to sign him for 3 reasons: 1. It meant the team had a great year 2. It means they won a lot of games with him playing quality minutes and 3. They will have room under the cap to do so (within reason).
    - Benjamin Franklin

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Wait, what's this about? Jones seemed like a great teammate.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wait, what's this about? Jones seemed like a great teammate.
    it's in the 7/17/12 John Hollinger interview Wells says it.

http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx

Talks about Paul George Plumlee and all the Pacers offseason

^i hate this after-the-fact trashing of players...

another example I think Wells had this article about a week ago where he reported that Darren said he was OK with coming off the bench behind G Hill in the exit interview this year. How does Wells spin that? That Darren was just being "PC," and he wasn't actually OK with it.

On another note: you can't really blame Mayo for the Tony Allen fight. By all accounts Allen is one of the craziest players in the league.
    And not to toot my own horn, but Mayo is one of the two NBA players I've ever hung out/partied with, and he was super chill, not arrogant at all, when he easily could have been.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Not really.

If you look at it from a point-per-minute number - it's fairly consistent over the 4 years. Green's number from last year is slightly higher.
    Last edited by PacerDude; 07-17-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK, you are correct about Marion. He will start. Not sure about any of the other guys. But even with Dirk and Marion, this team will win fewer games next year than last year.
    You really think that is a 35-win roster or worse? I think Dallas wins at least 50.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    You really think that is a 35-win roster or worse? I think Dallas wins at least 50.
    I think they will make the playoffs. Barely......