Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115

Thread: Mayo to the Mavs...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Rejuvinated dewman_32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Age
    42
    Posts
    157
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Mayo to the Mavs...

    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

    4 million possibly? Did we miss the boat here?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    $8mil for Mayo + Scola? And we paid Hill how much...?

  3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  4. #3
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    I don't think we did, he wanted the big money and we wouldn't have even had the 4 mil past Sunday. The market dictated his worth and he went to a place where he can compete for the starting spot, for 4 mil (if that is correct).
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  5. #4
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Larry Bird is must be pissed after reading about this. Mayo for 4 million a year....omg.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    There is no ****ing way he took 4 million.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    I figured he'd get at least 6 million per. Another find by the Mavs.

  10. #7
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    lets wait for something beyond speculation. i don't believe he would take 4 mil. S&T is much more likely.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lets wait for something beyond speculation. i don't believe he would take 4 mil. S&T is much more likely.
    Sign and trade with who? He was unrestricted. The Grizz can't go over the cap to sign him unless they use their MLE.

  13. #9
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sign and trade with who? He was unrestricted. The Grizz can't go over the cap to sign him unless they use their MLE.
    Didn't Memphis have his Bird rights?

  14. #10

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't Memphis have his Bird rights?
    They did, but then they declined to give him a qualifying offer.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They did, but then they declined to give him a qualifying offer.
    that's not the same as renouncing Bird rights.

  17. #12
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    what is disheartening is that the mavs offseason plans blow up completely, and they still--easily--end with a more exciting set of acquisitions than we do.

    to be fair, i say "more exciting" rather than "better" but i would argue both are true.

    brand+dahntay+dc+mayo+kaman has got to be > than mahini+augustine+green

  18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what is disheartening is that the mavs offseason plans blow up completely, and they still--easily--end with a more exciting set of acquisitions than we do.

    to be fair, i say "more exciting" rather than "better" but i would argue both are true.

    brand+dahntay+dc+mayo+kaman has got to be > than mahini+augustine+green
    If you are going to look at it that way, you have to add Hibbert and Hill to our side of ledger. We had to resign them which meant we could go after everyone Dallas did. I don't see that group doing much for making Dallas a threat in the West.....

  20. #14
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are going to look at it that way, you have to add Hibbert and Hill to our side of ledger. We had to resign them which meant we could go after everyone Dallas did. I don't see that group doing much for making Dallas a threat in the West.....
    Darren Collison, Rodrigue Beaubois
    OJ Mayo, Vince Carter
    Shawn Marion, Dahntay Jones
    Elton Brand, Brandon Wright
    Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Kaman

    Good thing we're not in the west then. I love our roster but if you think that team isn't a threat, then we're not a threat to Miami, Chicago, NY etc. Can't wait to battle Philly again.

  21. #15
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what is disheartening is that the mavs offseason plans blow up completely, and they still--easily--end with a more exciting set of acquisitions than we do.

    to be fair, i say "more exciting" rather than "better" but i would argue both are true.

    brand+dahntay+dc+mayo+kaman has got to be > than mahini+augustine+green
    I think you feel it's more exciting because it's not our team that made the moves. Also when you more or less gut your roster then there's going to be excitement and the need to improve. The Pacers didn't make bold moves because they didn't have to. They were a playoff team that improved and have improved the last 2 years. They had young improving players that they re-signed. That isn't glamorous or flashy and didn't draw ESPN headlines so it wasn't exciting.

    On the Mayo issue - he was expecting to get 8 million up until a day or 2 ago but the free agent market dried up and he was stuck getting the scraps.

    I like what the FO has done. Roy's and Hill's contracts are looking like relative bargains compared to what Lin, Asik and some of these other guys are getting. The FO has improved the depth of this team while keeping the future salary cap implications in check. I'm looking forward to watching this team win 50+ games next year, compete for the 3 seed and continue to improve.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  22. #16
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,968

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you feel it's more exciting because it's not our team that made the moves. Also when you more or less gut your roster then there's going to be excitement and the need to improve. The Pacers didn't make bold moves because they didn't have to. They were a playoff team that improved and have improved the last 2 years. They had young improving players that they re-signed. That isn't glamorous or flashy and didn't draw ESPN headlines so it wasn't exciting.

    On the Mayo issue - he was expecting to get 8 million up until a day or 2 ago but the free agent market dried up and he was stuck getting the scraps.

    I like what the FO has done. Roy's and Hill's contracts are looking like relative bargains compared to what Lin, Asik and some of these other guys are getting. The FO has improved the depth of this team while keeping the future salary cap implications in check. I'm looking forward to watching this team win 50+ games next year, compete for the 3 seed and continue to improve.

  23. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,946

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what is disheartening is that the mavs offseason plans blow up completely, and they still--easily--end with a more exciting set of acquisitions than we do.

    to be fair, i say "more exciting" rather than "better" but i would argue both are true.

    brand+dahntay+dc+mayo+kaman has got to be > than mahini+augustine+green
    I'd say they had a better summer by far and really put our F.O. to shame.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  25. #18

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say they had a better summer by far and really put our F.O. to shame.
    I think you are confusing activity with accomplishment. It's not the number of guys you add to a team, it's the team that ends up on the court that matters. None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas. That says to me Dallas is, probably, a 30 win team and the Pacers are, probably, a 50 win team.

  26. #19
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas.
    i think Kaman will be starting. that's the only certain one.
    DC,Mayo,Dahntay all have competition on the roster (Beaubois, Carter, Marion). Maybe they start all season, maybe they start at the beginning and lose the job, or the opposite. But it's more like DC-George Hill situation, really.

  27. #20

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i think Kaman will be starting. that's the only certain one.
    DC,Mayo,Dahntay all have competition on the roster (Beaubois, Carter, Marion). Maybe they start all season, maybe they start at the beginning and lose the job, or the opposite. But it's more like DC-George Hill situation, really.
    OK, you are correct about Marion. He will start. Not sure about any of the other guys. But even with Dirk and Marion, this team will win fewer games next year than last year.

  28. #21
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you are confusing activity with accomplishment. It's not the number of guys you add to a team, it's the team that ends up on the court that matters. None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas. That says to me Dallas is, probably, a 30 win team and the Pacers are, probably, a 50 win team.
    Collison is definitely starting. Brand/Kaman will start depending on whether Dirk plays PF or C. Mayo should also start.

    By my calculations, they added 3 starters. Agree to disagree I guess.

    Collison, Brand and Kaman... weren't all 3 starters? And Mayo coming off the bench doesn't mean he couldn't be a starter. See James Harden... he's definitely better than Thabo

  29. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,946

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you are confusing activity with accomplishment. It's not the number of guys you add to a team, it's the team that ends up on the court that matters. None of those guys would be starting here and all but one of them will be starting in Dallas. That says to me Dallas is, probably, a 30 win team and the Pacers are, probably, a 50 win team.
    I'm just looking at the quality of the players and the price paid. Kaman alone gives the Mavs a slam dunk in the quality of players. I'd take Kaman on the Pacers at 8 mil over Ian at 4 all day. He'd fill the backup role of 2 players and give you 15 and 10. Ian and Hans combined won't give you that.
    I haven't thought enough about where Dallas will end up but I'm sure they'll win a lot more then 30 games. I still see Dallas as a playoff team unless Dirk goes out. Even though they had to go with plan b, they've upgraded their front court. Their backcourt may have taken a step back but Kidd was washed up. Terry was a loss though. I'd see them still pulling in 45-50 wins.

  30. #23
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,265

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just looking at the quality of the players and the price paid. Kaman alone gives the Mavs a slam dunk in the quality of players. I'd take Kaman on the Pacers at 8 mil over Ian at 4 all day. He'd fill the backup role of 2 players and give you 15 and 10. Ian and Hans combined won't give you that.
    I haven't thought enough about where Dallas will end up but I'm sure they'll win a lot more then 30 games. I still see Dallas as a playoff team unless Dirk goes out. Even though they had to go with plan b, they've upgraded their front court. Their backcourt may have taken a step back but Kidd was washed up. Terry was a loss though. I'd see them still pulling in 45-50 wins.
    1. Who's to say that Kaman would want to come here to come off the bench, especially when he has a chance to start elsewhere? He complained about not being a starter in NO.
    2. If we were to get Kaman at 8mil, then we probably wouldn't have had room to add Green, and then we're still short a bench scorer on the wing.
    3. Kaman is basically an older, slower and more broken down version of Roy MINUS the defensive presence. So what we would gain in another high post scorer and above average rebounder, we lose athleticism, versatility and upside (which is what Ian brings)

    I agree with Naptownmenace. Dallas has had big changes, but I'm not sure how much they've IMPROVED.

    Pacers starting 5 >> DAL starting 5. None of their starters start for us EXCEPT Dirk.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,633

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say they had a better summer by far and really put our F.O. to shame.
    Their FA signings might've been more interesting but when you look at the players they added, you realize there's not a lot to get excited about if you're a Mavs fan.

    Collison, Jones, and Mayo finished the season coming off the bench last year. Brand is likely a bench player this season and he's slowing down rapidly. Kaman was a good signing for them plus he and Dirk are friends. But over all they were in a totally different situation than the Pacers. They needed to upgrade and replace their starters. The Pacers needed to upgrade their bench.

    Players like OJ Mayo and Kaman want to start. They wouldn't have that opportunity in Indy so they probably wouldn't have signed with the Pacers. It's a moot point because if the Pacers paid Kaman and Mayo the money they're getting from Dallas, they'd be over the luxury tax limit.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  34. #25

    Default Re: Mayo to the Mavs...

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their FA signings might've been more interesting but when you look at the players they added, you realize there's not a lot to get excited about if you're a Mavs fan.

    Collison, Jones, and Mayo finished the season coming off the bench last year. Brand is likely a bench player this season and he's slowing down rapidly. Kaman was a good signing for them plus he and Dirk are friends. But over all they were in a totally different situation than the Pacers. They needed to upgrade and replace their starters. The Pacers needed to upgrade their bench.

    Players like OJ Mayo and Kaman want to start. They wouldn't have that opportunity in Indy so they probably wouldn't have signed with the Pacers. It's a moot point because if the Pacers paid Kaman and Mayo the money they're getting from Dallas, they'd be over the luxury tax limit.

    How quickly we forget Collison started 50 plus games last year and was only replaced as the starter due to an injury? It's not like he played off the bench the whole season like Dahntay did. In this respect, I can see where Mav fans would be extremely elated to get a young player who was a starter on a team that had the 5th best record in the NBA last season and still on a rookie contract.

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. OJ Mayo?
    By Pacers24Colts12 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM
  2. OJ Mayo
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
  3. O.J. Mayo? No thanks.
    By Reginald in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM
  4. Gay, Mayo play big D to put Grizzlies past Mavs [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2010, 12:50 AM
  5. Mayo's 18 second-half points keep Mavs at bay [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •