PG - Augustine
    SG - Stephenson
    SF - Gerald Green
    PF - Hansbro
    C - Mahinmi

Thoughts?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Our Second Unit

Seems alright on paper. I have never been a big fan of hockey style line shifts. I like having one starter out there with the second unit, preferably West or Hibbert.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nevermind.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

D.J. Augustin will be solid with 10 ppg and 5 apg off the bench, Gerald Green will impress and be a one of the top back up 3's. Ian Mahinmi will be a good back up center, Lance will be a solid 5 ppg guy, and Tyler will continue to travel

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Defensively, that lineup looks incredibly suspect.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like it. If Hansbrough this season is the same Hansbrough of last season, I hope the coaching staff is quick to get him out of there. He's had enough time to adapt that confidence level shouldn't be an issue. He either plays well and stays in or he can sit down.

I hope Stephenson gets 10-15 minutes a night regularly. Here's hoping his skill level and discipline have finally caught up to his talent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Defensively, that lineup looks incredibly suspect.
    Better than being defensively AND offensively suspect. Stick PG or Hill in there somewhere and it instantly gets better though. I like your 4 bench, 1 starter idea; I just prefer it to be a starting wing player.

Sports Logo

I'd like to see Miles get some consistent playing time.

Mood

It will be very rare that our whole second unit is on the floor at the same time so I don't see defense and scoring as a problem. It will be interesting to see which combinations will work the best in different situations. I am excited about this upcoming year and I think with a full training camp and preseason we will be touted as having a deep bench again, just with more scoring and athleticism. I know that a lot of people are miffed about the draft and picking plumlee. I liked the pick and now that it is what it is we should welcome him to the team and hope he does well.

Id rather not have to watch any more of Hansbrough if I can avoid it.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

I truly think think Gerald Green and D.J. Augustin alone will greatly improve our bench, then throw in a legit backup center in Ian Mahinmi and I think we have a deadly bench

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I truly think think Gerald Green and D.J. Augustin alone will greatly improve our bench, then throw in a legit backup center in Ian Mahinmi and I think we have a deadly bench
    When we had a good bench last year, our bench was awful. This year, we might have the best bench in the league that doesn't involve a true starter who is played as a sixth man instead, like Ginobili in San Antonio or Harden in Oklahoma.
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    When we had a good bench last year, our bench was awful. This year, we might have the best bench in the league that doesn't involve a true starter who is played as a sixth man instead, like Ginobili in San Antonio or Harden in Oklahoma.
    I know D.J. Augustin is not even close to the level of Manu Ginobili or James Harden, but on multiple NBA teams i think D.J. would be the starting Point guard

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    I know D.J. Augustin is not even close to the level of Manu Ginobili or James Harden, but on multiple NBA teams i think D.J. would be the starting Point guard
    I think he will here, too. By the Super Bowl. Calling it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I'd like to see Miles get some consistent playing time.
    Me too. I'd like to see him at PF. I think he's agile enough to cover stretch 4s. And at 7' he should be a mismatch on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    I'd like to see George Hill used as a sixth man at both guard positions. He could still get more "starter's minutes" playing both PG and SG than Augustin would actually starting. Augustin's passing, which is the best on the team, would be most useful alongside the starters. The Pacers were 29th in the league in assists per game last year; that's just awful. We can do better with Augustin in the starting lineup. Hill would be a terrific leader for the backup squad in both guard spots and would still be on the floor most of the game.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I suspect that we will run a 9 man rotation instead of a 10 man rotation.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I suspect that we will run a 9 man rotation instead of a 10 man rotation.
    Who's your 9th guy?

I think we have a clear top 8 - the starters, plus DJ (first pg), Green (first wing), and Mahinmi (first big). After that, I guess its Lance and Hans. 10 man rotation seems ok for the regular season, but I think we cut down to 8 for the playoffs.

I also think Augustin will be playing starter's minutes (~30 mpg), with Hill shifting over to SG. I don't expect Augustin to outright start, but he'll get his playing time.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Who's your 9th guy?

I think we have a clear top 8 - the starters, plus DJ (first pg), Green (first wing), and Mahinmi (first big). After that, I guess its Lance and Hans. 10 man rotation seems ok for the regular season, but I think we cut down to 8 for the playoffs.

I also think Augustin will be playing starter's minutes (~30 mpg), with Hill shifting over to SG. I don't expect Augustin to outright start, but he'll get his playing time.
    Starting PG - GH
    Starting SG - PG
    Starting SF - Granger
    Starting PF - West
    Starting C - Hibbert

1st Guard off the bench - DJ
    Backup SG/SF - Green
    1st Big Man off the bench - Mahinmi
    Backup PF - Hansbrough

Although I expect that Mahinmi to get about 24 mpg....I fully expect Hansbrough to get between 10-15 mpg as he's a better scoring Big Man than Mahinmi, Miles or Pendagraph.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Who's your 9th guy?

I'm with you about the top 8. But not as sanguine about augustin being a guy that plays 30 mpg. jmo, but he'll get his 15-20 mpg as a backup PG, but that's it. It seems TPTB like George Hill as a PG. Lance and Orlando and Green will get shots at the backup 2. Whoever plays best plays most. But come playoff time it will be Hill and DJ, Paul, Danny and Green, Roy, David and Ian. That give the Pacers size everywhere but at the backup PG.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

I hope by the beginning of the season Augustine works his way into the starters, and Plumlee works his way in front of Hasnbrough. In neither case though do I want it to be because Hill or Hasnbrough isn't playing well, only that Augustine and Plumlee are playing better.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Starting PG - GH
    Starting SG - PG
    Starting SF - Granger
    Starting PF - West
    Starting C - Hibbert

1st Guard off the bench - DJ
    Backup SG/SF - Green
    1st Big Man off the bench - Mahinmi
    Backup PF - Hansbrough

Although I expect that Mahinmi to get about 24 mpg....I fully expect Hansbrough to get between 10-15 mpg as he's a better scoring Big Man than Mahinmi, Miles or Pendagraph.
    That's almost exactly where I am right now. I think there will be several minutes in each half where Augustin and Hill are on the court together in the backcourt.

I think there may be time when the point and two wings are Augustin - Hill - George perhaps with subs in the two post positions as well.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Defensively I don't think they are worse than last year. I mean if Foster had played last season then OK. But DJ is better defensively than DC. Isn't he, couldn't he have to be.

Overall I like our bench better than last season, and I expect Hansbrough to be better this upcoming season.

OK, I'm officially rambling.

Listening to Frank, they'll have some sets with Stephenson with the ball in his hands with Green and DJ at the 3 point area. I'm really interested to see how Mahinmi can do as the pick part of a P-N-R with Lance. And yes, I'd agree Tyler has to get better.

I like the 3 new bench guys alot, its the existing guys in Lance and Tyler that have to improve. If Tyler hasn't added to his game and the league still has the book on him, he becomes/is still ineffective to the point i'd not want to play at all. If Lance is inconsistent and irradict (sp?), then that hurts as well.

If neither guy is viable, then I could see Mahinmi moving over to PF with Plumlee giving minutes as a legit sized center, who hopefully doesn't hurt you. The two guard spot can be absorbed with a 3 man roation of PG, Danny, and Green, but not over a whole season. It really would have been nice to keep DJones as a back up plan, but wasn't to be.

I'd guess if Tyler or Lance isn't getting it done (or Mahinmi for that matter), you'll see some moves at the trade deadline to shore up those spots.

Its funny, I'm way more sure about the new guys they've added than the players we've all watched for a few years now.

Best case: Lance is a creator and gets his and gets everyone involved and its one of the better second units in the league, with Lance just killing other teams second units.

Worst case: Lance is a turnover machine, they have no chemistry, DJ takes bad shots with the shot clock running down and no one is there for the offensive rebounds.

I really don't know, its why I was surprised by how much the two extremes talked about how bad or good the bench will be, I think its completely up in the air. It would really be nice to see these 5 guys get some pre pre preseason run together, because its really going to be a challenge to gel, imo.

I worry about the defense being tied together, but honestly, I really don't know if any of the 5 on the second unit can be a leader and mistake eraser. The overall defensive IQ doesn't seem great to me, the ability is there, I just worry about having a Battier, Derrick McKey guy who can make it all work on D. I'd really like to get a vet who is a great team defender to run with this group.

Tony Allen, is really the only guy I can think of that I'd love to have with that group.

Now, THATS A 7/17/12 STYLE RAMBLING!!
    Last edited by Speed; 07-17-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    That's almost exactly where I am right now. I think there will be several minutes in each half where Augustin and Hill are on the court together in the backcourt.

I think there may be time when the point and two wings are Augustin - Hill - George perhaps with subs in the two post positions as well.
    There's no way around them sharing the floor unless Augustin plays less than 24 mpg.

Unless matchups dictate it....I'd hope that we would try to minimize "going small" with Augustin and GH on the floor at the same time.

However, I'd expect that Augustin and Hill share ( at most ) about 4 to 6 mpg on the floor together on a regular basis.

As for Lance....I'd expect that he'd get some run on the floor...but only as the game dictates. My preference is that after GH/PG/Granger/DJ that Green would be the bulk ( but not all ) of the remaining WingMan minutes...but that Lance would get some consistent but minimal minutes ( maybe 6 to 10 mpg ).