Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Marcelinho Huertas

  1. #1
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Marcelinho Huertas

    For all watching the USA - Brazil game, you know why I like this guy.

    He is a 29 year old PG, and he passes like Rondo and Nash. He is picking apart the USA on offense and I think he would fit perfectly with the Pacers. For those that know, what are the rules for signing foreign playing players, or do they have to be drafted? This guy went undrafted in the Danny Granger draft. If Augustin doesn't pan out and with Tyler and West coming off the books, should the Pacers try to buy him out (if that is how it works)?

    Last edited by Steagles; 07-16-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  2. #2
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,115
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    More like Jeremy Lin. Or Sarunas...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all watching the USA - Brazil game, you know why I like this guy.

    He is a 29 year old PG, and he passes like Rondo and Nash. He is picking apart the USA on offense and I think he would fit perfectly with the Pacers. For those that know, what are the rules for signing foreign playing players, or do they have to be drafted? This guy went undrafted in the Danny Granger draft. If Augustin doesn't pan out and with Tyler and West coming off the books, should the Pacers try to buy him out (if that is how it works)?


    If he was entered in the draft and went undrafted, he can be signed by any NBA team.

    IIRC, about 3 years ago Zeke signed the KY kid, Morris?, who went undrafted. He never panned out, and is now out of the NBA.

  4. #4
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he was entered in the draft and went undrafted, he can be signed by any NBA team.

    IIRC, about 3 years ago Zeke signed the KY kid, Morris?, who went undrafted. He never panned out, and is now out of the NBA.
    Actually, he cannot be signed by any NBA team outright, as he's under contract with Barcelona. Any team interested in bringing him over would need to buy him out from his current team, then offer him a contract.

    It isn't like he's a free agent.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,043

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    He went undrafted so we can sign him right away. But I don't think that we could do that.

    He signed a 4-year contract with Barcelona last summer. His buy-out would be a bit too much and I don't think that he'd like a change of scenery in that age. Then again, Prigioni came over this summer and he's 35.

    It would be worth a look.

  7. #6
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He went undrafted so we can sign him right away. But I don't think that we could do that.

    He signed a 4-year contract with Barcelona last summer. His buy-out would be a bit too much and I don't think that he'd like a change of scenery in that age. Then again, Prigioni came over this summer and he's 35.

    It would be worth a look.
    I knew he did and I think the Pacers can offer enough if he wants to come over. I think he can do well. Nuntius, I am sure you've seen him more in the Euroleague, what do you think of him?
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  8. #7
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    The problem isn't the Pacers offer to him. The problem is you need to pay a hefty clause to free him from Barcelona.

    He's in the first of a 4 year contract, and he was paid €2 millions just last year to disengage from Caja Laboral: that means he's got a higher buy out clause most probably, would you pay...let's say...$4 millions to free him up?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,043

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nuntius, I am sure you've seen him more in the Euroleague, what do you think of him?
    Well, he can certainly play. He can pass, he can shoot and he can score but he is not a system player. He has a reputation of being a bit too "crazy" for Euro standards. Of course, this could be good in the NBA.

    I have not watch him enough to make an accurate assessment of whether his play will translate in the NBA or not.

  11. #9

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem isn't the Pacers offer to him. The problem is you need to pay a hefty clause to free him from Barcelona.

    He's in the first of a 4 year contract, and he was paid €2 millions just last year to disengage from Caja Laboral: that means he's got a higher buy out clause most probably, would you pay...let's say...$4 millions to free him up?
    IIRC, the max amount the Pacers can contribute to a buyout is 500K, it might have gone up last CBA, but the NBA doesn't want to go into the buyout business. Huertas would have to come up with the coin to make the buyout. Unless he really really wants to play here, I don't see him interested given the cost.

  12. #10
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he can certainly play. He can pass, he can shoot and he can score but he is not a system player. He has a reputation of being a bit too "crazy" for Euro standards. Of course, this could be good in the NBA.

    I have not watch him enough to make an accurate assessment of whether his play will translate in the NBA or not.
    I think it would, Huertas plays the pick&roll very well -probably the best at running it in Europe right now-, he has excellent handles and can punish defenses with his floater when coming into the lane. Not as great a shooter as you'd expect, tho, and his defense would be Calderon-esque over in the US.

    Anyway, this is probably a moot point, as xIndyFan wrote earlier.

    edit: I'll add, guess who was the beneficiary of Huertas' pick&roll skills, at Caja Laboral? None other than good ole Stanko
    they really had great chemistry
    Last edited by Marlin; 07-16-2012 at 11:08 PM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he can certainly play. He can pass, he can shoot and he can score but he is not a system player. He has a reputation of being a bit too "crazy" for Euro standards. Of course, this could be good in the NBA.

    I have not watch him enough to make an accurate assessment of whether his play will translate in the NBA or not.
    Well you've seen him way more than I so I will take your word for it that he is a crazy type of player
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  15. #12
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIRC, the max amount the Pacers can contribute to a buyout is 500K, it might have gone up last CBA, but the NBA doesn't want to go into the buyout business.
    in theory, it can be higher, it depends on the size of the contract (if the player gets 40 mil salary, the team could pay something like 7.5 mil buyout, for example), but most of it would be charged towards the team cap.
    only up to 550k can be paid without charging it to the cap.

    re Huertas, I think he'd possibly be the worst PG defender in the league. just doesn't have the body/athleticism or talent.
    offensively, he should be fine in the NBA. but 'crazy' is probably the right word, like Nuntius said. he gambles a lot offensively. passes, risky drives. a bit like Dragic, but Dragic has more physical talent to swing these risks into his favor. it's not what I'd typically want in a backup point.

    The buyout obviously makes it nearly impossible.

  16. #13
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    in theory, it can be higher, it depends on the size of the contract (if the player gets 40 mil salary, the team could pay something like 7.5 mil buyout, for example), but most of it would be charged towards the team cap.
    only up to 550k can be paid without charging it to the cap.

    re Huertas, I think he'd possibly be the worst PG defender in the league. just doesn't have the body/athleticism or talent.
    offensively, he should be fine in the NBA. but 'crazy' is probably the right word, like Nuntius said. he gambles a lot offensively. passes, risky drives. a bit like Dragic, but Dragic has more physical talent to swing these risks into his favor. it's not what I'd typically want in a backup point.

    The buyout obviously makes it nearly impossible.
    I was afraid of that but wanted to hear some opinions on his play and seeing how he could get here.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  17. #14

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    It was mentioned during the broadcast that he doesn't play in the nba because he makes such good money in euroleague

  18. #15
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,962

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    I'd rather not repeat another Sarunas.

  19. #16
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was mentioned during the broadcast that he doesn't play in the nba because he makes such good money in euroleague
    I heard that. I still think he could do well here, but getting him here likely will never happen.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  20. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Why come over when the money is ripe and the living is better for him overseas. He like many guys overseas Bo McCalebb, Milos Teodosic ect could come over tomorrow if they wanted too. Unless you offer these guys full MLE money or more it really isnt worth it. Like Fran said on the broadcast he has had offers but these guys arent coming over for the vets min or 3m or what not at his age.


    Im guessing (if we had the cap room)

    a 4 year 24m would be a deal that gets him to consider. Obviously with the buyout the deal is only 4yrs 20m in his pocket. I dont know if he would bite on that even because he has long term secruity in Euro dudes like him can play much longer in euro than they would be able to in the NBA. I personally wouldn't offer him a deal a few years ago maybe but not a big fan.

    You can get value for a lot of UDFA if they are willing to come over after they start developing in Europe. Too bad most of them dont want to make the jump that isnt most of their dreams.

    remember Nikola Pekovic it took 3yrs 13m dollars for his talents he was easily worth it(even though his first year was wasted took him a year to adjust to the NBA game.)

    Alexey Shved signed to the MMLE I believe (should be a steal a better shooting smarter OJ Mayo type, only a SG IMO (but I believe his contract with CSKA Moscow was over he and AK47 and Kristic dominated the euro league last year. He will take time to develop like Pek did but he should be a steal. He is lights out shooting and can create off the dribble. I think he is a much better passer than Mayo though)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-17-2012 at 12:49 AM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  22. #18
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,043

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well you've seen him way more than I so I will take your word for it that he is a crazy type of player
    That's not necessarily bad. What is considered "crazy" in European basketball is not necessarily "crazy" in NBA basketball.

    Huertas is not a system player but this could work in his favor in the NBA. He has the tools for it. He has excellent ball-handling, he can change gears and is not afraid to drive to the rim.

  23. #19
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,043

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bo McCalebb
    That's a much better option, imo.

    Siena is not going anywhere and his contract due in the next summer. He is younger than Huertas (well, only 2 years) and his game is a lot more likely to translate to the NBA. He can score, he is a fearless driver and can rebound for his position. He is a quite good athlete. Not much of a shooter, though.

  24. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a much better option, imo.

    Siena is not going anywhere and his contract due in the next summer. He is younger than Huertas (well, only 2 years) and his game is a lot more likely to translate to the NBA. He can score, he is a fearless driver and can rebound for his position. He is a quite good athlete. Not much of a shooter, though.
    I love Bo and if we could get him next year I would love it. But IMO he stays overseas from everything I have read he has no interest in the NBA even though he is american. Although this year he did say he will consider the NBA next year which is rare for him too say.


    In February he said his future is in Europe then in May hinted to wanting to play in the NBA. I know he turned down offers in the past and I think he is at that age that he really just wants to stay there for his whole career.


    He would be a great long term Jason Terry type role for us off the bench just a big time playmaker. I am guessing but I see him making a jump to a better Euroleague club next year.


    EDIT: If he was to come over he should of done it after his lat year with Partizan IMO he was ready.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-17-2012 at 02:31 AM.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  26. #21
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,043

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Bo and if we could get him next year I would love it. But IMO he stays overseas from everything I have read he has no interest in the NBA even though he is american. Although this year he did say he will consider the NBA next year which is rare for him too say.


    In February he said his future is in Europe then in May hinted to wanting to play in the NBA. I know he turned down offers in the past and I think he is at that age that he really just wants to stay there for his whole career.


    He would be a great long term Jason Terry type role for us off the bench just a big time playmaker. I am guessing but I see him making a jump to a better Euroleague club next year.

    Well, that's certainly a possibility. He does seem to enjoy European basketball and he makes good money while being the star so why wouldn't he? He is quite aware that he wouldn't be a star in the NBA.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EDIT: If he was to come over he should of done it after his lat year with Partizan IMO he was ready.
    I think that he was waiting for the Eurobasket to raise his stock. He was not that well-known with Partizan. He can dictate a better salary now.

  27. #22
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,649

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    I don't know anything about his contract or how he plays overall but if he can play like he did vs. the USA then by God sign him up. Dude was just killing it out there and doing it on both DWill & CP3


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  29. #23

    Default Re: Marcelinho Huertas

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, he cannot be signed by any NBA team outright, as he's under contract with Barcelona. Any team interested in bringing him over would need to buy him out from his current team, then offer him a contract.

    It isn't like he's a free agent.

    What you are saying about him being under contract is correct. I'm just saying if he was in the draft, but went undrafted he could be signed by any NBA team... obviously if he isn't under contract elsewhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •