Thread: Changing your Lineup

Default Changing your Lineup

There's a very detailed explanation on scoring and how to best arrange your roster on the Pacers Digest ABA board. If your new to this site please read that post.

For an example of one way to adjust your lineup, you could look at my team listed on the "ROSTER" page.

To change your line up:

1. Go to the "LINEUP" board.

2. At the bottom of your roster you should see....

"Having trouble with the new version? You can still use the old.

I suggest you use the old version by clicking on "still use old"

3. A page will come up with the free agents on the left & your lineup on the right.

4. To change the order of the players, simple click on the player you wish to move then click on either the up or down arrows to move them into their correct spot.

5. To change multi-position players: Click on the player then click on "SWITCH POS". The player that was a FC will now be switched to a CF.

6. Once you have your players in the order you want them & multi-position players are listed correctly.... click "SAVE CHANGES TO LINEUP".

The deadline for our next game is listed just under your roster. Our game 1 rosters will be locked into place on Christmas Eve at 4PM on the west coast, 1 PM Indy time.

I'll be watching the new owners lineups & make suggestions to help out.

Thanks

Default Re: Changing your Lineup

Trying to get the overall concept of how play works. Why are game rosters locked so far ahead of the games as shown on the schedule? Are we playing accumulated stats during a period running up to an including the date of each game?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trying to get the overall concept of how play works. Why are game rosters locked so far ahead of the games as shown on the schedule? Are we playing accumulated stats during a period running up to an including the date of each game?
    the first game that your team plays will be comprised of the stats that your players put up in their first games.

the second game that your team plays will be comprised of the stats that your players put up in their second games.

if your player misses a game, no stats are recorded for that game. your player effectively gets 0s for that game.

and so on and so forth until game 66.

the rosters are locked so far ahead because players play their games on different dates. if one of your players plays game 10 on january 9 and another plays game 10 on january 17, your roster for game 10 will be locked before january 9.

there is a detailed scoring and lineup explanation in this forum. it's a couple of threads down. you should read it if you don't get it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure about this because I really have not looked into it but the deadlines might be a little off due to the late start of the season.

Each year there is always a little something that goes wrong but the guys running the site always seem to get everything smoothed out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I only have 4 Players playing on Sunday 12/25 and have moved them up to the top of the lineup. Am I only able set the lineup 1 day at a time?

Does that mean that I can't set the lineup for a full week ahead of time?

or

Does that mean that I have to set the lineup once every day?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

It doesn't matter where in your line up the 4 players that play on Sunday are placed.

Your best players should be at the top of your line up.... always.

The guys that play on Sunday will have their fantasy points entered that day. The other 8 players will be added whenever their NBA teams play their first games.

Each game on your schedule has a deadline. You can adjust your lineup anyway you like, however, once you reach that deadline, your roster for that game will be locked in place. If you want to adjust your lineup after the deadline, you can. It just will not take effect until the deadline for the following game.

You should always have your best fantasy scorers at the top of your line up, making sure that your multi-position players are listed correctly to cover your minutes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I only have 4 Players playing on Sunday 12/25 and have moved them up to the top of the lineup. Am I only able set the lineup 1 day at a time?

Does that mean that I can't set the lineup for a full week ahead of time?

or

Does that mean that I have to set the lineup once every day?
    the games are ultimately decided when the last player on either team completes their corresponding game. it does not matter when each player plays, as long as they do play their respective game. the result for game 21, for example, will not be finalised until every single player on the two teams' lineups for game 21 has played their 21st game.

you really shouldn't need to mess with lineups and the order too much unless you get a few injuries. as JS said, your highest scoring players should always be near the top.

a good example lineup (completely made up):

C Al Horford
    C Dwight Howard
    CF Drew Gooden
    F Lebron James
    FG Josh Smith
    FG Gerald Wallace
    G Dwayne Wade
    G Kobe Bryant
    G Louis Williams
    CF Solomon Jones
    F Shawne Williams
    G Travis Diener

this ensures that first all 48 of your C minutes are filled, then all 96 of your F minutes are filled, and finally all 96 of your G minutes. notice your three worst players are at the bottom, regardless of position.
    place your
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 12-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your help Frosty

I'd also like to thank Cable KC for putting in the effort to learn the game.

Most of the new guys haven't bothered to read these threads.

You can view these threads while logged out. "Members who have read this thread" is not definitive.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo

Help me understand here....only because I am used to playing the H2H format on ESPN and Yahoo....but if you set your best Players on top and can essentially leave it as is for the rest of the season....they why would there be a need to log in on a regular basis?

I can understand a need to check if there is a trade proposal....that we'd have to vote on it....but is there a benefit to moving Players "up and down" the list?

For example, looking at FrostWolf's example lineup:

C Al Horford
    C Dwight Howard
    CF Drew Gooden
    F Lebron James
    FG Josh Smith
    FG Gerald Wallace
    G Dwayne Wade
    G Kobe Bryant
    G Louis Williams
    CF Solomon Jones
    F Shawne Williams
    G Travis Diener

In a scenario where Shawne Williams and Travis Diener are the only Players to play on a particular day....and no one else is playing ( yes, a slow day )....if we left it where Shawne and Travis are at the bottom...would it make a difference in the scoring if we moved them up to the list since they are ( for that one day ) the only Players playing that day since EVERY ONE is scored and tallied for that day regardless of where they are on the "ladder"?

I'm trying to figure to figure out what the difference is in adjusting the lineup if eveyrone is counted for that day.

Is it that each position can only play so many minutes ( as in 96 minutes for a GF ) and once your 1st, 2nd and 3rd GF fill up those minutes ( for example, CP3 plays 34, Ariza plays 32 and Allen plays 30...assuming that they are the 1st 3 GFs on the list ) that everyone else's scoring after those 3 won't be counted since the 96 minutes of GF play has been used up?

This suggests that where a Player exists on teh list matters...depending on the day.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Day one for Lebron is 12/25, for Danny Granger its 12/26, for Paul Milsap its 12/27 (Utahs first game). On, Sport.ws first game will include all 3 of these games. So you lock in your game 1 roster all at once, at the same time, I think its midnight on this Saturday. Your line up is set after that for Sport.ws game 1. Also, we won't know who wins the Sports.ws match ups until 'game 1' is done, which will be after the 12/27 games are over.

Roster positioning/hierarchy is really really important in this game. You want your best players to get all of their minutes, but you also want the best Per minute production guys to get as many as possible, too.

For example, on my team DJ Augustin probably had more fantasy points per game, but his Fantasy points per minutes was .68. Beno Udrih probably had less Fantasy points per game, but his FP per minutes was .83. Since I have Deron getting his full compliment of minutes, I have him at the top of my guards and then maybe Deng, I have a choice of letting Beno or DJ mop up the rest. I'll choose Beno and have him listed higher on my list.

It gets tricky in how you have F/C and G/F listed and how you have it set to F/C or C/F. Its usually just easier to put all of your Centers together, all of your Guards, all of your Forwards and go that way, but its strategic in how you list your multi-position players.

I have Foster at the top of my list, since 1.)I know he's a solid points per minute guy 2.) he won't play that many minutes that will keep Al Horford from getting some of my Center minutes. So by putting Jeff first, I'll get Jeff's minutes at Center, then Horfords Center minutes and whatever is left over for Horford will go to the Forward minutes... I have Horford listed as C/F (not F/C). Some people wouldn't do it like this and I may change it, but I'm trying to give you an idea.

Now, if you can make any sense of any of my post, you are way smarter than me and didn't need to read it.

Well done Speed.

I fear that CableKC's minset is focused on how other sites are set up & scored. Sports.ws is completely different & it takes time to fully understand.

This site is designed like an actual NBA game, except your players play the games that count for your game on different nights.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This suggests that where a Player exists on teh list matters...depending on the day.
    it matters regardless of the day.

even if your three worst players are the only ones playing on a particular day, there is no reason to move them up. why? because it does not matter on what DAY they play. scores are not counted daily, but game by game. there is no significance of adjusting lineups to adjust for differences in games played, because every single player, in the nba, will play 66 games (barring injuries and DNPs). each one of these 66 games will count for one of the 66 games that your fantasy team will play.

in short, dates do not matter on sports.ws. it goes on a game-by-game basis, not a day-by-day basis. moving your worst players to the top does nothing for you other than lowering your score.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

In a scenario where Shawne Williams and Travis Diener are the only Players to play on a particular day....and no one else is playing ( yes, a slow day )....if we left it where Shawne and Travis are at the bottom...would it make a difference in the scoring if we moved them up to the list since they are ( for that one day ) the only Players playing that day since EVERY ONE is scored and tallied for that day regardless of where they are on the "ladder"?
    cablekc, your assumption that "everyone is scored and tallied for that day" is incorrect. this is how yahoosports does it, but not sports.ws. each player is scored and tallied for a particular game AFTER they have completed that corresponding game in real life.

so, when the season begins, what you will end up with is about 3~4 games simultaneously that have not been resolved because all of the players for those games have not completed their games in real life.

again, taking my example lineup:

GAME 44

C Al Horford - ATL plays game 44 on Jan 1
    C Dwight Howard - ORL plays game 44 on Jan 2
    CF Drew Gooden - MIL plays game 44 on Jan 3
    F Lebron James - etc etc Jan 4
    FG Josh Smith - Jan 5
    FG Gerald Wallace - Jan 2
    G Dwayne Wade - Jan 10
    G Kobe Bryant - Jan 5
    G Louis Williams - Jan 1
    CF Solomon Jones - Jan 3
    F Shawne Williams - Jan 4
    G Travis Diener - Jan 7

the first players to have their scores recorded will be those who play on Jan 1. game 44 will remain unresolved until jan 10, when the last player (Dwade) has completed his game 44 on Jan 10. only then will be result be computed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

ignore the lack of player games, it's because i'm accessing an archived season.

also made an error - on the other team, there is a guy (CLE) who plays his game on march 19. so the game will be resolved on march 19, not 18.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 12-23-2011 at 04:01 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

ok, thanks. I will simply go by the "put the best players on top" rule....while factoring in FPPM to how I position the players and see what happens.

Sports Logo

Is there a limit on the # of add/drop transactions that one can make in the course of the season?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

nope