Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul George- The next Indiana Sports Hero???

Default Re: Paul George- The next Indiana Sports Hero???

And I think Hibbert is the man right now. If PG becomes the man we are going to have one bad@$$ team.

I dont doubt the skills. He has top 10 skills. He needs to have the killer instinct. That's what next season is all about in my eyes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I think Hibbert is the man right now. If PG becomes the man we are going to have one bad@$$ team.
    I think its a possibility. I think Hibbert is going to get better. If PG becomes a killer, look out.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorge View Post
    I think PG will be a superior player to Miller. I doubt he makes as many 3s or clutch shots but, overall from what I've seen I think he'll be the better all around player.
    Reggie was one of toughest competitors to ever don a Pacers uniform. Paul does not have that fire. He lives on talent alone at this point and the NBA is full of talented players. To be successful you have to have talent AND a mental toughness - an attitude of "I WILL NOT lose". I hope he gets it. Lebron and Durant have had it since high school so I'm concerned that even though Paul is young he may never develop it.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fwpacerfan For This Useful Post:

Paul George filling Reggie's shoes? As Samuel L. Jackson might say "Mtherfcker, please." You can only mention the two men in the same sentence if you are making a declaratory that they both are bball players. There are going to be an awful lot of sorely disappointed people in Pacers Land when the facts finally sink in and everyone realizes that Paul is a Tayshaun Prince caliber player rather than the be-all, do-all bbal God so many people are playing him up to be.

Honestly, its a real shame that everyone wants him to be something he isn't because the player he actually is can be enormously valuable to a championship team. He's a defender, rebounder and lane disruptor. He's never going to be breaking down his man to drive the lane. For goodness sake, he dribbles at shoulder height and if he has not learned ballhandling by this point, then he never will. Yes, its a skill and you learn it by practicing it-- when you're 8 yrs old. Not when you're a grown man. He should focus on moving without the ball to get the open shots he needs and on refining the things that are already in his wheelhouse-- D and rebounding.

As to the original question-- Andrew Luck all the way, brother.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    Paul George filling Reggie's shoes? As Samuel L. Jackson might say "Mtherfcker, please." You can only mention the two men in the same sentence if you are making a declaratory that they both are bball players. There are going to be an awful lot of sorely disappointed people in Pacers Land when the facts finally sink in and everyone realizes that Paul is a Tayshaun Prince caliber player rather than the be-all, do-all bbal God so many people are playing him up to be.

Honestly, its a real shame that everyone wants him to be something he isn't because the player he actually is can be enormously valuable to a championship team. He's a defender, rebounder and lane disruptor. He's never going to be breaking down his man to drive the lane. For goodness sake, he dribbles at shoulder height and if he has not learned ballhandling by this point, then he never will. Yes, its a skill and you learn it by practicing it-- when you're 8 yrs old. Not when you're a grown man. He should focus on moving without the ball to get the open shots he needs and on refining the things that are already in his wheelhouse-- D and rebounding.

As to the original question-- Andrew Luck all the way, brother.
    I never understood the Prince comparisons. PG is more athletic and already a better rebounder and 3-pt shooter than Prince ever was. Paul is also much better at playing the passing lanes than Prince ever was as well. I'm not knocking Prince's game, nor am I saying that PG will become the next great superstar; I'm just saying their games are not similar in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This is Paul's 3rd year coming up, so I think we'll all be able to answer your question by season end if he is going to be "the guy". I think he has more potential then Reggie in a big way! I just don't know if Paul carries that passion, the mental toughness to win at all cost and the fear to lose.
    I think you are right that it's too early to tell and that we'll know a lot more after the next season or two. At Paul George's current age, 22, Reggie Miller was an NBA rookie who averaged 10.0 points a game (Paul George averaged 12.1 last season at age 21, not that scoring is everything). At age 23, in his second season, Reggie averaged 16.0 points. One of the things I remember most about Reggie in those early years was his immaturity, which included getting distracted by being too caught up in officials' calls. I'm anxious to see what Paul George becomes. I don't think he lacks passion. I think he primarily lacks confidence, which hopefully he can develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I never understood the Prince comparisons. PG is more athletic and already a better rebounder and 3-pt shooter than Prince ever was. Paul is also much better at playing the passing lanes than Prince ever was as well. I'm not knocking Prince's game, nor am I saying that PG will become the next great superstar; I'm just saying their games are not similar in any way.
    Trevor Ariza

It'll be Luck starting in about a month.

Mood

I'm pulling for PG. He has the tools. He could become a 20ppg guy and he plays the defense. It really could happen that. He has all star potential.

I believe it is all in his head and in the coaches hands.

Whoever thought that Granger would one day score the way he has?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    His game may be different, but his impact on the basketball court isn't. Prince never had the mentality to take over, and George doesn't either. But both were (and can be) major contributors to very good teams. Nothing wrong with that.

Remember 4 years ago, Prince was on the Olympic team. And 4 years from now, it wouldn't surprise me if George was on the Olympic team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This is Paul's 3rd year coming up, so I think we'll all be able to answer your question by season end if he is going to be "the guy". I think he has more potential then Reggie in a big way! I just don't know if Paul carries that passion, the mental toughness to win at all cost and the fear to lose.
    I agree, sort of. I wouldn't say PG lacks mental toughness but I do feel that he doesn't approach being a Pacer as being the alpha dog. I'd say most would agree that being that alpha dog, you'd have to be somewhat of an asswhole, no matter how nice or humble you may appear to the public. PG isn't like that. I doubt Danny and D-West would allow it any way. So in my mind, PG won't be THE MAN until he is elevated to that status, not by us fans but by his teammates. The guys in the locker room who see his skill and potential to be great everyday.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just wanted to bump this thread and get everyone's thought on it now and kind of look back at some of the responses I got when I asked this question a few months back...Paul is on the fringe of the elite status And once he is there he could be the main reason the fieldhouse gets packed especially if the pacers continue their winning ways!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

I don't know if he's Indiana's hero but he's definitely my hero!! All hail King George

Paul George is really a border-line superstar to me at this point, if he can lead Indiana past Miami in the playoffs then yes, he may be the next Indy sports hero
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 02-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Huge old-school Reggie fan here. But Paul is simply at another level. Defense is half the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Huge old-school Reggie fan here. But Paul is simply at another level. Defense is half the game.
    IMO, PG can't be considered better than Reggie until he shows that he has the ability to single-handedly take over a playoff game like Reggie did. We made so many deep playoff runs in the 90's because we had a player in Reggie who was capable of taking over a playoff series by raising his offensive game to an elite level. History has shown time and time again that having an elite offensive player is what wins in the playoffs. The 2004 Pistons are the exception, not the rule.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

History has shown that having a top 10 defense is what wins in the playoffs. Only 2 champions (Unless I missed one) since the ABA merger didn't have top 10 defenses, and they were both repeat champions with significant injuries that had top 2 defenses the year before.
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    IMO, PG can't be considered better than Reggie until he shows that he has the ability to single-handedly take over a playoff game like Reggie did. We made so many deep playoff runs in the 90's because we had a player in Reggie who was capable of taking over a playoff series by raising his offensive game to an elite level. History has shown time and time again that having an elite offensive player is what wins in the playoffs. The 2004 Pistons are the exception, not the rule.
    PG did that last year against the Heat..on the defensive end.

I think Andrew Luck is ahead of him in that department right now but he's definitely #2
    Smothered Chicken!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

I think there is so much more to being a "sports hero" locally than what is being addressed. It is possible for a player to be his team's best and even lead them to a title, yet not be embraced by Indy and granted icon status. If you look at Reggie, he had an x-factor like no other player before him. And that x- factor was his outgoing personality, his loving and caring side about any and every cause for children, and his ability to be introspective and share it with the public.

Peyton was the same. Probably not quite the ham that Reggie was, but certainly able to laugh at himself without any fear whatsoever at occasionally playing the baffoon.

Right now, Paul George has not shown that side of himself to the public. If anything, that is what would prevent him from becoming a bonafide sports hero in Indy. However, George is very young and has been "the guy" for less than a full season. But if he wants to become all that he can be, he has to embrace that and put himself out there, especially with kids and children's causes. That's one thing his manager should be planning for right now.

I surely hope so. If he gets us the ring then he will certainly be mentioned over Miller. I love Reggie but, PG can be the best player in the league in 4 years. Save the Lebron arguments
    I'm a Beast

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes he will be the next hero. I agree with chuck though. I don't think sports figures should be looked at as an hero. That should be peoples parents, mentors, and teachers .
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-25-2013 at 11:58 PM.