Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George- The next Indiana Sports Hero???

Hybrid View

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George- The next Indiana Sports Hero???

I know i am new here but I wanted my first post to be on a subject I have thought long about. Reggie Miller carried Indiana through the 90's. Then, toward the end of reggie's career, Peyton Manning took over as the next great Indiana sports hero. Now we are in a crossroad on who will step up and carry the torch for this great state. I honestly believe that Paul George has all the tools to put basketball back on top! I would like to get everyone's opinion on this subject and thank you for your time!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Paul George- The next Indiana Sports Hero???

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know i am new here but I wanted my first post to be on a subject I have thought long about. Reggie Miller carried Indiana through the 90's. Then, toward the end of reggie's career, Peyton Manning took over as the next great Indiana sports hero. Now we are in a crossroad on who will step up and carry the torch for this great state. I honestly believe that Paul George has all the tools to put basketball back on top! I would like to get everyone's opinion on this subject and thank you for your time!
    If Andrew Luck lives up to the hype, then he'll be the biggest sports star in Indiana...

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tennymf For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I love Paul George as much as anyone, and yet I don't see him ever becoming a hero. I mean he's at best the 4th best player on a good team. First he would have to become the pacers best player and then lead us somewhere in Reggie like fashion

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

I think Danny has been vastly underappreciated. He's not Reggie, but he's the best damn thing that's happened to the Pacers in a long time and he's finally getting a decent supporting cast.

But, yes, PG still has the potential but the question is: When will he put it all together and turn the corner when it comes to ball-handling and breaking his man down and creating his own shot?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    I think Danny has been vastly underappreciated. He's not Reggie, but he's the best damn thing that's happened to the Pacers in a long time and he's finally getting a decent supporting cast.

But, yes, PG still has the potential but the question is: When will he put it all together and turn the corner when it comes to ball-handling and breaking his man down and creating his own shot?
    Totally agree. Why are we still talking about ball handling with Paul? That is one of the most correctable things in basketball if you are willing to put in the work.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Totally agree. Why are we still talking about ball handling with Paul? That is one of the most correctable things in basketball if you are willing to put in the work.
    I sooo agree with you! Its a skill, which mean repetition (Puttin in work) solves it!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    He's been in the league for 2 yrs. He was buried on the bench by JOB during his first and only full training camp. Last yr was a lockout shortened season that knocked our training camp. Yes ball handling is easily fixable, but it's not like PG has been playing forever lol. He's got time to improve.

And I think Hibbert is the man right now. If PG becomes the man we are going to have one bad@$$ team.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    And I think Hibbert is the man right now. If PG becomes the man we are going to have one bad@$$ team.
    I think its a possibility. I think Hibbert is going to get better. If PG becomes a killer, look out.

Paul George filling Reggie's shoes? As Samuel L. Jackson might say "Mtherfcker, please." You can only mention the two men in the same sentence if you are making a declaratory that they both are bball players. There are going to be an awful lot of sorely disappointed people in Pacers Land when the facts finally sink in and everyone realizes that Paul is a Tayshaun Prince caliber player rather than the be-all, do-all bbal God so many people are playing him up to be.

Honestly, its a real shame that everyone wants him to be something he isn't because the player he actually is can be enormously valuable to a championship team. He's a defender, rebounder and lane disruptor. He's never going to be breaking down his man to drive the lane. For goodness sake, he dribbles at shoulder height and if he has not learned ballhandling by this point, then he never will. Yes, its a skill and you learn it by practicing it-- when you're 8 yrs old. Not when you're a grown man. He should focus on moving without the ball to get the open shots he needs and on refining the things that are already in his wheelhouse-- D and rebounding.

As to the original question-- Andrew Luck all the way, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    Paul George filling Reggie's shoes? As Samuel L. Jackson might say "Mtherfcker, please." You can only mention the two men in the same sentence if you are making a declaratory that they both are bball players. There are going to be an awful lot of sorely disappointed people in Pacers Land when the facts finally sink in and everyone realizes that Paul is a Tayshaun Prince caliber player rather than the be-all, do-all bbal God so many people are playing him up to be.

Honestly, its a real shame that everyone wants him to be something he isn't because the player he actually is can be enormously valuable to a championship team. He's a defender, rebounder and lane disruptor. He's never going to be breaking down his man to drive the lane. For goodness sake, he dribbles at shoulder height and if he has not learned ballhandling by this point, then he never will. Yes, its a skill and you learn it by practicing it-- when you're 8 yrs old. Not when you're a grown man. He should focus on moving without the ball to get the open shots he needs and on refining the things that are already in his wheelhouse-- D and rebounding.

As to the original question-- Andrew Luck all the way, brother.
    I never understood the Prince comparisons. PG is more athletic and already a better rebounder and 3-pt shooter than Prince ever was. Paul is also much better at playing the passing lanes than Prince ever was as well. I'm not knocking Prince's game, nor am I saying that PG will become the next great superstar; I'm just saying their games are not similar in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I never understood the Prince comparisons. PG is more athletic and already a better rebounder and 3-pt shooter than Prince ever was. Paul is also much better at playing the passing lanes than Prince ever was as well. I'm not knocking Prince's game, nor am I saying that PG will become the next great superstar; I'm just saying their games are not similar in any way.
    Trevor Ariza

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    His game may be different, but his impact on the basketball court isn't. Prince never had the mentality to take over, and George doesn't either. But both were (and can be) major contributors to very good teams. Nothing wrong with that.

Remember 4 years ago, Prince was on the Olympic team. And 4 years from now, it wouldn't surprise me if George was on the Olympic team.

Mood

Default Paul George- The next Indiana Sports Hero???

I know I'm a new member here and I wasn't sure what I should write for my very first post, so I figured I would discuss something I have thought about for a while now...Reggie Miller carried the Indiana Pacers through the 90's and then toward the end of his career a guy named Peyton Manning to the helm as the top Indiana sports athlete and I was just wondering now that Peyton is gone and Andrew luck still has all the growing pains to go through...is it now Paul George's time to shine? Can he bring the Indiana Pacers back to the top of Indiana sports? I think he has all the tools and the right teamates around him to really shine but the question is...Will he? Thanks for your time and thanks for letting me join Pacers Digest...looking forward to great Indiana Pacers discussions!!!!

Mood

Sorry I just realized all of my previous posts and threads were finally added....Please disregard this thread and Sorry again!!! Admin. Please delete this!!!!!!!!

Sports Logo

Welcome.
    Paul George has the tools and potential to be a very good two-way player, but I don't think he's going to be our franchise player for years to come. Granger made some huge leaps a few years ago and I think George's best case is doing these same leaps, but that won't be enough for what you describe (if I understood you correctly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

I think Luck probably has the inside track at this point.

As far as Pacers go, I honestly think Roy has a better shot than Paul. He has already endeared himself to the fans and embraced the city more than any Pacer since JO.
    Make no mistake, both are great for this franchise, but if you're asking me who is more likely to be a perennial AS, face of franchise, top 2 or 3 at his position for the next 6 years, I'd have to go with Hibbert.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think Paul George would make a nice SF someday. But he hasn't shown that he's ready to make Granger expendable.

Although, I suppose that if West leaves after this season (which would disappoint me, A LOT), maybe George, Granger and Hibbert are the starting front court?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

This is Paul's 3rd year coming up, so I think we'll all be able to answer your question by season end if he is going to be "the guy". I think he has more potential then Reggie in a big way! I just don't know if Paul carries that passion, the mental toughness to win at all cost and the fear to lose.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This is Paul's 3rd year coming up, so I think we'll all be able to answer your question by season end if he is going to be "the guy". I think he has more potential then Reggie in a big way! I just don't know if Paul carries that passion, the mental toughness to win at all cost and the fear to lose.
    I think you are right that it's too early to tell and that we'll know a lot more after the next season or two. At Paul George's current age, 22, Reggie Miller was an NBA rookie who averaged 10.0 points a game (Paul George averaged 12.1 last season at age 21, not that scoring is everything). At age 23, in his second season, Reggie averaged 16.0 points. One of the things I remember most about Reggie in those early years was his immaturity, which included getting distracted by being too caught up in officials' calls. I'm anxious to see what Paul George becomes. I don't think he lacks passion. I think he primarily lacks confidence, which hopefully he can develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    I agree, sort of. I wouldn't say PG lacks mental toughness but I do feel that he doesn't approach being a Pacer as being the alpha dog. I'd say most would agree that being that alpha dog, you'd have to be somewhat of an asswhole, no matter how nice or humble you may appear to the public. PG isn't like that. I doubt Danny and D-West would allow it any way. So in my mind, PG won't be THE MAN until he is elevated to that status, not by us fans but by his teammates. The guys in the locker room who see his skill and potential to be great everyday.

Mood

Paul is still really young and he made a pretty big jump from his 1st season to his 2nd season.

The growth and his age make me really excited about his potential.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Andrew Luck says hi.

Mood

Just wanted to bump this thread and get everyone's thought on it now and kind of look back at some of the responses I got when I asked this question a few months back...Paul is on the fringe of the elite status And once he is there he could be the main reason the fieldhouse gets packed especially if the pacers continue their winning ways!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Mood

Andrew Luck is already been chosen by the public-He is the most hyped player since Lebron. Unfortunately this is probably going to stay a Colts town even when they are going 3-13 and the Pacers are in the playoffs.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13