Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers #4 in power ranks

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers #4 in power ranks

Smothered Chicken!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers #4 in power ranks

The top 5 and a nice blurb from the link...

"It remains to be seen whether the Indiana Pacers can replicate their regular-season success against the increasingly scorching Miami Heat come playoff time.

Give the Pacers this much, though: They're finally and officially one of the NBA's top five teams by ESPN.com standards.

Four straight wins by a composite 108 points -- with those four victims all held under 34 percent shooting -- have combined with the steady progress made since a 4-7 start and two impressive wins over the Heat to vault Indiana into the top five of ESPN's weekly NBA Power Rankings for the first time all season at No. 4."
    - Marc Stein

Grown Man Ball

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

ESPN actually acknowledged we exist? interesting..........

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ESPN actually acknowledged we exist? interesting..........
    Some of you need to get over this. Pacers were their own segment on SC after every game this week.

Stop being perennial little brothers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Not to throw cold water on this, but it reminds me of the college rankings. This week they have Michigan ranked above a Michigan State team that absolutely pulverized the Wolverines not long ago.

Not quite a "flavor of the week", but not that big either.

Mood

Interesting that the picture on the front NBA page to go along with this story is LeBron, Danny, Tony Parker, and KD.

I wonder if they would have used PG or West instead if Danny hadn't already played a game...? Three MVP candidates and that guy who just played his first game of the season.

Last edited by gummy; 02-25-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Also of interest at ESPN today. The last sentence of the last bit of commentary makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130225/nba-playoff-odds

1. Fact or Fiction: The Pacers are the East's second-best team.

Playoff Odds: Indiana has a 23.6 percent chance to make the Finals, second to Miami (59.0).

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: Fact. The Pacers have split their past eight games against Miami, going back to their 2012 playoff series. They have allowed the fewest points per game of any Eastern Conference team. They have a better shot than the Knicks to reach the Finals, in part because their season has unfolded in the opposite manner of the Knicks' season: Slow start, coming on stronger as the season goes on.

Andrew Han, ClipperBlog: Fact, in part by attrition. With New York losing five of its past seven games, Chicago still hoping for a Rose before elimination time and Boston's hopes sidelined with Rajon Rondo, Indiana's top rank in defensive efficiency locks up the second slot in the East.

Zach Harper, A Wolf Among Wolves: Fact. The Pacers have the best defense in the NBA and the second-best net differential (plus-5.5) in the East. Over the past 10 games, the Pacers have slaughtered opponents with the eighth-ranked offense during that stretch and an insane plus-17.8 net differential. Indiana is coming into its own right now.

Sean Highkin, Portland Roundball Co.: Fact. Roy Hibbert has rediscovered his offensive game over the past few weeks, and Paul George and David West continue to play well. It'll be interesting to see what they can get out of Danny Granger going forward. Plus, the Knicks are reeling, the Nets are injured, and I don't trust the Bulls without Derrick Rose. It's Indy by default.

Michael Pina, Red94: Fact. There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path.

Last edited by gummy; 02-25-2013 at 04:13 PM.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who really cares what sports writers think? I mean I enjoy reading them but it's an opinion games played on the floor not the media.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Who really cares what sports writers think? I mean I enjoy reading them but it's an opinion games played on the floor not the media.
    Same general reason we care about what people on the Internet, most of whom we've never met, say. As you pretty much said, it's fun to read, discuss, and debate what's being said about your team.

I know you're responding to the people who get really riled up about the media not "respecting" the Pacers. But even for them it probably comes down to just liking to talk about the team.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Some of you need to get over this. Pacers were their own segment on SC after every game this week.

Haha did you read any of what Cowherd said?
    Smothered Chicken!

Most people one ESPN still think of us as a horrible offensive team. Their opinions shouldn't matter one way or the other. But the fact they don't even update their numbers on us is a bit of a spit in the face

Mood

These rankings also have the Lakers as the 11th ranked team. Overall. In the NBA.

Ahead of Chicago, Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Atlanta, and Milwaukee. Yeah. Ahead of actual playoff teams.

But, I guess with the Lakers getting near .500 and ONLY 4 games out of the LAST playoff spot in the West they are definitely better than 6 playoff teams. Yup.

I would say as of now those 5 teams are easily the top 5 in the NBA. The Pacers and Clippers are interchangeable at 4 and 5, while the Heat, Thunder, and Spurs are interchangeable at 1,2, and 3. Knicks, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Nets, Warriors, Bulls would be the next tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Most people one ESPN still think of us as a horrible offensive team. Their opinions shouldn't matter one way or the other. But the fact they don't even update their numbers on us is a bit of a spit in the face
    Like it or not on the season, we are still a terrible offensive team. Yes we are getting much better, but still have to do it the last 26 games of the year to make up for the first 41 being terrible.

Mood

Like it or not on the season, we are still a terrible offensive team. Yes we are getting much better, but still have to do it the last 26 games of the year to make up for the first 41 being terrible.

They have shot up to 20th in offensive efficiency. Now that Danny is back I see us probably getting up to around 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    They have shot up to 20th in offensive efficiency. Now that Danny is back I see us probably getting up to around 15th.
    I agree, and I think it will happen, but to expect every single article that references the Pacers to point out how much better our offense has been of late is not reasonable. I have seen more than one ESPN guy do it. This idea around here that we are some kind of ESPN *******s is just not true. We got talked about much more than say a team like Memphis who still has a better record than us and is currently riding a 7 game winning streak.

I'm just saying it doesn't earn us stripes to say every time an ESPN article pops up "Oh I guess ESPN finally gave us some coverage" hardy har har. It makes us look like dummies because we have been getting pretty consistent national coverage since we beat the Heat's asses in our first matchup this season.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

We get covered but its nowhere near the coverage other teams get. The Heat beat the bobcats and its a 10 minute segment. We beat the heat and we are lucky if it tops out at 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    These rankings also have the Lakers as the 11th ranked team. Overall. In the NBA.

Ahead of Chicago, Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Atlanta, and Milwaukee. Yeah. Ahead of actual playoff teams.

But, I guess with the Lakers getting near .500 and ONLY 4 games out of the LAST playoff spot in the West they are definitely better than 6 playoff teams. Yup.
    well over the past couple of weeks I'd rank LA above those teams too. LA is on a tear. They are 11-4 or 12-4 over the last 15/16 games. Thats why these are power rankings and not standings.

We get covered but its nowhere near the coverage other teams get. The Heat beat the bobcats and its a 10 minute segment. We beat the heat and we are lucky if it tops out at 3 minutes.
    So? We never will get the coverage the Lakers/Heat/Boston/Knicks get. Doesn't matter how good or bad the team is. Matters how much their viewers care. Now if ESPN were calling us some trash team I could see getting miffed. But ESPN has been saying tons of good things about the Pacers.

Mood

The only thing I don't understand about ESPN coverage (and this is not specific to the Pacers, but extends to other teams that aren't the top 3 media markets) is how they put their highlight reels together. So many times they show the most boring ****, even when there were 2 or 3 really exciting plays in the game. That seems really weird to me. Seems like showing the most exciting highlights from all the games would be a win-win for ESPN and NBA fans.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    The only thing I don't understand about ESPN coverage (and this is not specific to the Pacers, but extends to other teams that aren't the top 3 media markets) is how they put their highlight reels together. So many times they show the most boring ****, even when there were 2 or 3 really exciting plays in the game. That seems really weird to me. Seems like showing the most exciting highlights from all the games would be a win-win for ESPN and NBA fans.

They probably just scan for random highlights to be honest with you. When its a big team, they probably had someone that was watching it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    So? We never will get the coverage the Lakers/Heat/Boston/Knicks get. Doesn't matter how good or bad the team is. Matters how much their viewers care. Now if ESPN were calling us some trash team I could see getting miffed. But ESPN has been saying tons of good things about the Pacers.
    You act as if Miami has always gotten this much coverage. ESPN decided to hype the Heat, and now its almost blasphemy not to talk about them 10 minutes a night.

The day of the Nationwide crash I was absolutely stunned that it was the #1 story. Because its been so customary lately that no matter the story ESPN deems it priority #1.

Catering to the fans of big market teams is why nobody respects ESPN anyway. They don't report on sports anymore they selectively pick which franchises to talk about.

The very fact that Skip Bayless has a job that ratings are all the matters and actually giving insightful information about sports isn't even a concern.

You act as if Miami has always gotten this much coverage. ESPN decided to hype the Heat, and now its almost blasphemy not to talk about them 10 minutes a night.

The day of the Nationwide crash I was absolutely stunned that it was the #1 story. Because its been so customary lately that no matter the story ESPN deems it priority #1.

Catering to the fans of big market teams is why nobody respects ESPN anyway. They don't report on sports anymore they selectively pick which franchises to talk about.

The very fact that Skip Bayless has a job that ratings are all the matters and actually giving insightful information about sports isn't even a concern.
    Of course Miami didnt used to get all this coverage. They didnt used to have LeBron James. Look at the coverage the Cavs get now that LeBron left. People want to hear about Miami. Its a fact. You may not, but the average sports fan does. Catering to the fans of big market teams is why ESPN generates BILLIONS of dollars.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    They probably just scan for random highlights to be honest with you. When its a big team, they probably had someone that was watching it.
    Yeah, that would explain it. The NBA does a much better job with this. I wonder if they have people watching every game (seems likely) or if each broadcast video team earmarks highlights they want the NBA to use or a little of both...?

Anyone know?