Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

I have a question(s) for anyone/nobody in general. About 12-13 years ago, I was one of the posters on the Star before it got ramrodded by sub-morons and immature individuals. But, anyway, one poster suggested that some of us meet up at a pub or resturant and talk Pacers. I don't remember exactly where it was, other than I wasn't familiar with the place. Somewhere around 10 people showed up. Someone took a picture and it was dubbed the first Pacers forum party.

So my questions are:
    1) Were any one of you part of that group? I'm wanting to say that Shade and Jose Slaughter were there because those two names stand out for some reason. I apologize if I'm wrong.

2) Does anyone still have that photo?

By the way, I was the filipino-looking guy. My old username was either Shmuvvy or Shmuvvyshmuvv.

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

I think the new name should just be pacerdigest.com

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even though I've had my disagreements with all of them, I want to add my thank you to Hicks, Shade, and able for their hard work on this site. There is no better message board around, and that's a credit to them and the rest of the mods. I've always seen this as an NBA board more than just a Pacer board, which is one of the things I like.

And I am certainly hopeful that Hicks will continue posting on the new site as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a question(s) for anyone/nobody in general. About 12-13 years ago, I was one of the posters on the Star before it got ramrodded by sub-morons and immature individuals. But, anyway, one poster suggested that some of us meet up at a pub or resturant and talk Pacers. I don't remember exactly where it was, other than I wasn't familiar with the place. Somewhere around 10 people showed up. Someone took a picture and it was dubbed the first Pacers forum party.

So my questions are:
    1) Were any one of you part of that group? I'm wanting to say that Shade and Jose Slaughter were there because those two names stand out for some reason. I apologize if I'm wrong.

2) Does anyone still have that photo?

By the way, I was the filipino-looking guy. My old username was either Shmuvvy or Shmuvvyshmuvv.
    I think there were 7 of us. Was the first one at Ale Emporium? I remember you, Jose, and rimfire for sure. Brichard maybe? Burnzone?

I'm sure somebody has that picture.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I think there were 7 of us. Was the first one at Ale Emporium? I remember you, Jose, and rimfire for sure. Brichard maybe? Burnzone?

I'm sure somebody has that picture
    I think I saw it posted at the post office...

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I'd probably vote for something related to Gold Swagger right now, but I get the feeling that we'd all be really tired of it in about 6 months...

More appropriate and likely more long-standing would be BoomBabyNews.com or BoomBabyDigest.com, or almost anything at all lead by BoomBaby...
    I do know that Slick owns the trademark rights to Boom, Baby!. That's why you don't see it used much on official merchandise. My Boom, Baby! shirt from the '94 playoffs (which has been the good-luck t-shirt under whatever jersey I'm wearing for almost two decades) says (c) Slick Leonard Enterprises on it. So that could potentially be expensive. And Pat Riley owns the marketing rights to Threepeat, which is why he didn't mind the Bulls run against his Lakers and Knicks as much as you might otherwise expect.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

I'm sure somebody has that picture.
    The 1st one was at the Ale Emporium in Castleton.

Brichard, Arkman, Pacer Fan in LA, Rimfire (Displaced Knick), Doug, Shmuvvy and myself were the first group.

At one time we had a regular group of 25 to 30.

We're working on putting together another one. Most likley mid September to mid October.
    Last edited by Jose Slaughter; 07-16-2012 at 10:48 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I do have a bit of a pet peeve about using an "improper" Top Level Domain like .net or .org for something that is not a network service or a club/nonprofit. Commercial entities using .org and pretty much anyone using .net bug me the most.

Just an old fogey gripe, I guess, but TLDs were meant to help you figure out what kind of site you are going to.
    I guess I won't suggest www.pacersdigest.net then.

Doesn't matter what the address is anyway. Kegboy and I always call it The Board.

What about pffl.com? :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

streets ahead

PacersIndigestion.com?

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I can't be the only one that thinks learning "Slick Leonard Enterprises" existing is the best thing to happen to the world since the steam engine.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In all seriousness, BLUENGOLDS.COM
    BLUEGOLD.COM
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

letstalkpacers.com

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

22. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I would definitely vote for:

pacersdaily.com

doing some brainstorming:

twominutes.com
    pacersnation.com
    fieldhousetalk.com

apart from that, blue & gold or gold swagger in all variations sounds good to me
    Thank you Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I do know that Slick owns the trademark rights to Boom, Baby!. That's why you don't see it used much on official merchandise. My Boom, Baby! shirt from the '94 playoffs (which has been the good-luck t-shirt under whatever jersey I'm wearing for almost two decades) says (c) Slick Leonard Enterprises on it. So that could potentially be expensive. And Pat Riley owns the marketing rights to Threepeat, which is why he didn't mind the Bulls run against his Lakers and Knicks as much as you might otherwise expect.
    I was going to pot this last night, but I went to research it then my internet crashed.

Boom Baby anything would probably be quite expensive.

That said, I guess it could never hurt to ask

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i would suggest we stay away from "swag" - its definitely a term that can be out of fashion - the name of the site/url should not be something that can go out of style

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Will the venerable "RoboHicks" be changed to "RoboShade"?

I propose keeping it as "RoboHicks" so a part of Hicks is still always with us!

EDIT: And as for a new name, how about... pacersdigestedandregurgitated.com ??
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 07-17-2012 at 10:12 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Mood

pacerpride.com

pacersdojest.com

pacersdiegest.com

hicksdigest.com

or for the anatomy inclined indigest.com
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Mood

Must register thanks to Hicks as well, as a looooong time O/S lurker (hiding in the shadows from a time well before the great PD exodus from RATS) this forum has been incredible. Cannot impress upon Hicks enough how connected and informed us O/S types can be thanks to the marvels of modern technology and the most well managed forum on the net. I largely joined the migration from RATS due to Hicks the poster (underrated in the extreme) as his opinions were vicariously mine and we had a similar optimism (perhaps due to being about the same age). I hope that continues. His work and others made it possible to feel part of a community in a way that would not have been possible in the 90's (during those fledgling years of pacer fandom).

So thank you.

And to Shade: Hicks is dead! Long live Hicks! (can Hicks become the unofficial moniker for forum boss, like caesar?)
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

I like some of the simpler names thrown out so far. Pacer Daily keeps the PD. Pacer Forum I also liked.

Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Pacer Fieldhouse ties in well with the team and the arena.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Even though I've had my disagreements with all of them, I want to add my thank you to Hicks, Shade, and able for their hard work on this site. There is no better message board around, and that's a credit to them and the rest of the mods. I've always seen this as an NBA board more than just a Pacer board, which is one of the things I like.

And I am certainly hopeful that Hicks will continue posting on the new site as well.
    Over a period of years, I've come to think of it more as a place where friends (that you really don't know, for the most part) can gather, not only to talk Pacers/basketball in general, but to share humorous moments as well as serious times. It is kind of like the family reunion or class reunion you can attend, anytime you wish, and back away from, again, any time you wish, with no worry that those people will always be there. The other sub-forums kind of give it that feel, as well. Think about how widespread this placed is. There are people here from Asia, Europe, South America, Australia and on and on. That's pretty cool.

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Over a period of years, I've come to think of it more as a place where friends (that you really don't know, for the most part) can gather, not only to talk Pacers/basketball in general, but to share humorous moments as well as serious times. It is kind of like the family reunion or class reunion you can attend, anytime you wish, and back away from, again, any time you wish, with no worry that those people will always be there. The other sub-forums kind of give it that feel, as well. Think about how widespread this placed is. There are people here from Asia, Europe, South America, Australia and on and on. That's pretty cool.
    It's on online community built around a niche interest.

It provides something Facebook doesn't provide: a smaller group of people to interact with and discuss things with. It's a valuable contribution to our lives.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really want PacerNation.com, but I would be ok with Goldswagger.com or something along the lines. My logo I made says Pacer Nation but that can always be changed.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13