Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Quote Originally Posted by MunciePacerBabe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some name suggestions:

Pacers Central

That's interesting!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Food for thought:

Before suggesting a name, check out www.whois.com and see if it is available.

If not, you can google the name and see if someone is selling it (and sometimes, but not often, what they are asking)

For example, www.pacerscenter.com is already taken (though that does not mean it cannot be purchased, or even an extenion used such as .net or .biz instead of .com)
    I do have a bit of a pet peeve about using an "improper" Top Level Domain like .net or .org for something that is not a network service or a club/nonprofit. Commercial entities using .org and pretty much anyone using .net bug me the most.

Just an old fogey gripe, I guess, but TLDs were meant to help you figure out what kind of site you are going to.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This topic will have its own devoted thread, so please wait for it to appear before throwing suggestions at us.
    :
    Some of you are already on the naughty list!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

a name that reflects the franchise or its history would be nice-

BoomBaby Pacers Central
    Circle City Pro Hoops
    Keeping Pace
    BlueNGold Fanatics
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by MunciePacerBabe View Post
    Some name suggestions:
    (The) Pacers Daily News
    Sorry Shade, I know this isn't the name that tune thread but.... someone else posted Pacers Daily also. Me thinks that's a nice possibility keeping the PD name alive.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

area55.com - sponsored by Roy Hibbert

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

WHAT THE F***!

After years of slowly cultivating Hicks with hints of my sarcastic bitterness, tainting his normally youthful sunshiner ways into the beginnings of a grumpy old man, I lose him for a bipolar suicide nut with a weird anti-food fetish?

Shadow/ghost, whatever my wife called him at one point, is great, but losing Hicks stinks. I hope this really doesn't mean he's stepping away from posting too, just working on projects that will absorb more of his time.

Hicks and I literally talked outside Conseco for about an hour after everyone else left the final game, forget online stuff. I'm counting on his opinion still being part of the core around here.

I understand the value in keeping PacersDigest and I couldn't fault him for making some money off it, but I guess it would bother me to see PD suddenly be the official chat room at Pacers.com but without most of what makes it really great - the community. I'd rather he finds a better way to make money off it if that's the case, but people need to pay the bills. Maybe he's just holding it for future endeavors if/when opportunities show up.

Congrats to Shade, or condolences depending on the increase in workload. Digest has been great and the quality of the site is what lured me away from Rats despite having several good friends over there at the time. Taking Hicks out of the rotation hurts, but there is such a good core of mods here still that it shouldn't be an issue. Plus there is tons of non-mod talent around to help maintain good functionality and style which helps make the experience great.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Hicks, thanks so much for everything you've done for this global community of Pacers fans. Words cannot express my gratitude.

Shade, those are big shoes, but I know you're up to the challenge.

Its been an honor to serve this community with both of you.

You both know, but it bears repeating: my long-term absences from PD have had nothing to do with "management" or members of this community, but personal and professional busyness and also during the Jim O'Brien era, a lack of interest in awful, ugly basketball.

I applaud Hicks for keeping the name. He's invested so much into it. I don't know if it has monetary value or not (although I guess that is my day job...) but it certainly has meaning.

In its void, might I suggest a name with the Gold Swagger theme?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This is more surprising than Bird stepping down.
    Maybe Hicks also needs shoulder surgery? At least he, like Bird, stayed through the Summer League. Maybe they were a packaged deal.

Seriously though, thanks to Hicks for all the ridiculously hard work it is being the key man for such a large forum. I'll always respect and admire the way you tried to keep things from denigrating into the debacle that RATS became when we all migrated over and left that forum for good.

Best Wishes on your new found freedom... er... reduced workload. You'd better be sticking around to post though.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Maybe Hicks also needs shoulder surgery? At least he, like Bird, stayed through the Summer League. Maybe they were a packaged deal.
    Maybe......

Just maybe.....

Hicks IS Bird!

"Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Thanks Hicks.

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Thanks, Hicks. I've always assumed you put a ton of work into maintaining and running this site. I've also appreciated our short discussions. Good luck.

I, like everyone else, am thankful for the all the time that Hicks has put into Pacers Digest over the years and I am well aware that he is the reason it came into be in the first place. However, in my opinion, the name should not change, and let's not be overly dramatic about it either. This is an internet forum. There's not much money to be made on the domain. There's no reason for it to change.

When Steve Jobs left Apple the first time around, he didn't take the name with him. Founders leave. Management changes. Names generally stay the same.

That said, thanks again for everything, Hicks. You will be missed. Just leave PacersDigest in tact for the next generation... at least, until your triumphant return!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I do have a bit of a pet peeve about using an "improper" Top Level Domain like .net or .org for something that is not a network service or a club/nonprofit. Commercial entities using .org and pretty much anyone using .net bug me the most.

Just an old fogey gripe, I guess, but TLDs were meant to help you figure out what kind of site you are going to.
    I would be willing to give up PacersCenter.com if we really wanted it to be the name.

@Pacers24Colts12

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GizzyStardust View Post

When Steve Jobs left Apple the first time around, he didn't take the name with him. Founders leave. Management changes. Names generally stay the same.
    Really? You're comparing the financial benefits of having founded Apple to running a sports forum?

Someone help me come up with two fruits more diametrically opposed than apples and oranges, because that's the analogy we need here.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Really? You're comparing the financial benefits of having founded Apple to running a sports forum?

Someone help me come up with two fruits more diametrically opposed than apples and oranges, because that's the analogy we need here.
    How about grapefruits and tomatoes?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Sorry Shade, I know this isn't the name that tune thread but.... someone else posted Pacers Daily also. Me thinks that's a nice possibility keeping the PD name alive.
    You could also do the Pacers Den.

I, like everyone else, am thankful for the all the time that Hicks has put into Pacers Digest over the years and I am well aware that he is the reason it came into be in the first place. However, in my opinion, the name should not change, and let's not be overly dramatic about it either. This is an internet forum. There's not much money to be made on the domain. There's no reason for it to change.

That said, thanks again for everything, Hicks. You will be missed. Just leave PacersDigest in tact for the next generation... at least, until your triumphant return!

He must have a reason to keep it not just for spite. Lets not rush to throw stones.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post

No one's talking about financial benefits; just you, apparently. There's no need to get into a pissing contest about it. Just making an observation.

Mood

I'd probably vote for something related to Gold Swagger right now, but I get the feeling that we'd all be really tired of it in about 6 months...

More appropriate and likely more long-standing would be BoomBabyNews.com or BoomBabyDigest.com, or almost anything at all lead by BoomBaby...
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

PacersCrate.com is that restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post

More appropriate and likely more long-standing would be BoomBabyNews.com or BoomBabyDigest.com, or almost anything at all lead by BoomBaby...
    I am not saying it is dumb or anything but I really do not like that idea. We all know what boom baby refers to but when I read it I think of baby boomers or something. Just doesn't sit right with me as the name of a sports forum. If you have no knowledge of the pacers other than the team name and location, you would have no idea what boom baby was. And it would be much harder for new people to find the site if they were googling "pacers" etc. That would also go for any name that doesn't at least have "pacers" in the title somewhere. I understand the idea and think it is a nice change from other people's suggestions but I just do not like it personally.

Best alternative I can think of with your idea is PacersBoomBaby.com or BoomBabyPacers.com, but neither of those strike me as amazing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Maybe......

Just maybe.....

Hicks IS Bird!
    Bird came here in 2003. PD opened in 2004.

No one's talking about financial benefits; just you, apparently. There's no need to get into a pissing contest about it. Just making an observation.
    Grapefruits and tomatoes...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    Bird came here in 2003. PD opened in 2004.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: