Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

I've also been one who has pretty much just been a lurker the past number of years, but I've seen the number of transitions since the early years, and I think A-Train put it best on page one when saying it's easy to take this site for granted and assume it will always be here. Hicks, when I sit back and think about it I cannot imagine how many hours you've put into this site over almost a decade, so I would like to also say thank you for the massive amount of work you put into this site over the years.

It's almost like an old oak tree that you've seen on a country road for decades, your entire life, and you grow so accustomed to seeing it that you just naturally assume it will always be there. Thank you to those stepping into place, and carrying things forward, it will be tough to imagine this community under another domain name, but it will be appreciated for keeping things going.

May I also throw in my vote for a new name of #Pacersconversation

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burnzone For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

I rarely post, but has been a member for the better part of the decade. I just want to thank Hicks for starting this site, I am on this site literally everyday to get all my information all over the NBA. I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors, and I know that Shade or whomever that is going to takeover will do a great job continuing the tradition that is the Pacersdigest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wooolus For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can I get my sig and avatar back now Hicks took it away for no reason.

He was a little too trigger happy but the board is great besides that Thanks!

Sports Logo

Hicks, thanks for all that you've done over the years to keep the forum, conversations, threads and everything flowing. I assume that this isn't goodbye but that you'd just be taking a less active Admin role and become one of the regular common folks ( like us ). You were the straw that stirred the proverbial drink that is PacersDigest......you were this forum's Derrick McKey ( or whoever the guy that was the "straw stirrer" on the Pacers roster in late 90s ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-16-2012 at 03:04 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

"notpacersdigest.com" gets my vote for the new site name, seriously think about it.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He was a little too trigger happy
    Do you REALLY think this is the right place and time to be posting this?

Anyway, I want to thank Hicks for providing us Pacersfans from over the globe an absolutely topnotch site and maintaining and adding to it constantly drawing the most knowledgable and best Pacersfans in and actually, save for a few, keeping them. The hours invested in Pacers Digest are without doubt unparalleled by anyone on here. This is the sort of thing that makes us all feel a part of the Pacers and I'm proud to be a part of this community.

I really hope you will keep posting as not only your role on this site is greatly valued, but so is your opinion. Here's to you, Hicks!

Shade, I wish you the best of luck as the new GM (so to say) and though you have big shoes to fill and will no doubt have your hands full I think you're up to the job and I think your sense of humour will help in making the continuation of PD, but with a new name, a success and built on what has been achieved in this place, so to you aswell and goodluck!

Some suggestions with regards to names: Pacers Daily, Pacers United, Pacer(s) Blue, Pacer(s) Blue & Gold.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    As to Shade.......I hope there is a firm order of succession in place just in case you decide to do a header out of the balcony when the draft goes bad for you. Mods, take note of his suicidal tendencies and keep a close watch on him.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla
    and now that Shade is in charge are they going to open an special side to talk about J Bayless? And are they going to change the site name to www.JarrydBaylessisthenextsuperstar.com?
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-16-2012 at 04:30 AM.

I think another "thank you" is in place for Able aswell to keep hosting this awesome collection of people .

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Do you REALLY think this is the right place and time to be posting this?

Anyway, I want to thank Hicks for providing us Pacersfans from over the globe an absolutely topnotch site and maintaining and adding to it constantly drawing the most knowledgable and best Pacersfans in and actually, save for a few, keeping them. The hours invested in Pacers Digest are without doubt unparalleled by anyone on here. This is the sort of thing that makes us all feel a part of the Pacers and I'm proud to be a part of this community.

I really hope you will keep posting as not only your role on this site is greatly valued, but so is your opinion. Here's to you, Hicks!

Shade, I wish you the best of luck as the new GM (so to say) and though you have big shoes to fill and will no doubt have your hands full I think you're up to the job and I think your sense of humour will help in making the continuation of PD, but with a new name, a success and built on what has been achieved in this place, so to you aswell and goodluck!

Some suggestions with regards to names: Pacers Daily, Pacers United, Pacer(s) Blue, Pacer(s) Blue & Gold.
    huh, i've been here since 2005 and never knew hicks had big feet. learn something new every day i guess

It's a saying over here in Holland, smartiepants .

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacers4ever View Post

He was a little too trigger happy

I imagine you said this in good fun. But are you aware he was behind the scenes working hard to make sure you survived the board early on? I got admonished and pm'd by him for being too sarcastic with you. He believed in you, saw your intellect and potential, and didn't want to see you chased off.

Basically, Hicks is your Daddy.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    Let me just chime in and say I believe that pacernation is/was
    vapacersfan's site.
    Pacersnation.com was, it is now owned by Pacers Sports & Entertainment.

Perhaps things have changed, but Pacernation is owned already (no clue who owns it), and back in 2009/10 the asking price for the domain was 9-10K.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

To those questioning Hicks ability to keep Pacer Digest as his own.......do you realize that he started and developed the site (along with some help from Able et al) and that this has been his baby since we left the IndyStar YEARS ago? He is the one that has invested blood, sweat, tears, and cash (along with Able) to see this site grow. If he wishes to keep the domain that is his right, both ethically and legally.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

First and foremost thanks to Hicks for all the life, time, and money he has spent on his site,
    and making it available for the general public to access.

Secondly good luck to Shade and the rest of the moderators in taking everything here
    forward and into the future.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 07-16-2012 at 09:09 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

I've been here since day 1 and even on the proboards site after we left indystar. Not a huge poster anymore but I literally check this site more than facebook, email, espn, etc. I hate to see the change because this is the best fan site for any professional team out there if you ask me but if it has to happen I understand.

Thanks Hicks and to everyone for this site and for continuing whatever site is after this.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cramerica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    To those questioning Hicks ability to keep Pacer Digest as his own.......do you realize that he started and developed the site (along with some help from Able et al) and that this has been his baby since we left the IndyStar YEARS ago? He is the one that has invested blood, sweat, tears, and cash (along with Able) to see this site grow. If he wishes to keep the domain that is his right, both ethically and legally.
    I, for one, don't begrudge him one bit for keeping his domain site and doing whatever it is he chooses to do with it. I will be interested in seeing what comes of it, though. I hope it is something Hicks can benefit greatly from. He deserves whatever comes his way.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
    I've been here since day 1 and even on the proboards site after we left indystar. Not a huge poster anymore but I literally check this site more than facebook, email, espn, etc. I hate to see the change because this is the best fan site for any professional team out there if you ask me but if it has to happen I understand.

Thanks Hicks and to everyone for this site and for continuing whatever site is after this.
    I am in the same boat as Cramerica and agree with him 100%! I, too, was an original member back in the day and was onboard as "we" sailed into this (among other trial runs) awesome Pacers Digest! Even though I don't post much, I come to this place religiously to check on our guys and on some of you! The knowledge here is unbelievable and I am proud to be a member! I am also proud of how big this place has gotten and how many people lurk here (especially media and Pacers folk!)

Thanks, Hicks, so, so, so much for having the desire to make this board to be the best one ever! I loved the fact that you kept civility to others on the top of your priorities! This is like one big happy family...well, maybe the happy is exaggerated a little! :]

I can't believe we are losing you as our top admin! I hope all is well with you and that everything is okay. Just like I feel about Larry Bird....I can't believe you are just walking away! In my heart, I feel you both will be back!

Take care, Hicks, and thanks for everything!

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MunciePacerBabe For This Useful Post:

Some name suggestions:

(The) Pacers PROspectus
    Pacers Publications
    (The) Pacers Daily News
    (The) Pacers Update
    The Life and Times of the Indiana Pacers
    Pacers Central
    Last edited by MunciePacerBabe; 07-16-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I'll piggy back on everyone else and say thanks Hicks for running this board. He seemed perpetually annoyed by me but I still appreciated the work he put in.

Onward and upward Shade. I always liked calling it PD so its too bad the name has to change.
    Well, if it changed to Pacers Outpost, you could always use PO'd.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I did not agree with everything that Hicks did. But I do like the site overall. It is hard to find a quality site like PD. And although the change of hands is scary, I am certain that Shade can handle it. I am witness to his many skills. Can we say that they are innumerable? To infinity....and beyond.

Thanks, Hicks. This has been the best sports forum period. I am sad to see it go. I hope the new site can be just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Would seem kind of weird of the guy to just up and quit the forum cold turkey. I imagine he is just fed up with some of the various BS that go on behind the scenes to actually maintain a site. Probably consumes a bit of time that he rather do other things with.
    Or, the stuff that has gone on in the forum concerning the draft, and trades this off-season. Seems there has been a lot more of that than normal.

I jokingly said in a thread last week that Hicks should quit and sell Pacers Digest. It's sad that the only time he ever took my advice was when I didn't want him to.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Shade doesn't say a lot but I hear he carries a big stick FWIW.

To Hicks thanks for all the hard work..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Food for thought:

Before suggesting a name, check out www.whois.com and see if it is available.

If not, you can google the name and see if someone is selling it (and sometimes, but not often, what they are asking)

For example, www.pacerscenter.com is already taken (though that does not mean it cannot be purchased, or even an extenion used such as .net or .biz instead of .com)

40. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post: