Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Amazing words from a pretty amazing person and an extremely great friend...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

You deserve a break Hicks, for you have gone above and beyond. I thank you for leaving the name as well, really classy of you to do so. I wish you only the best as you recharge and chart your course.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Well said, Hicks.

To quote (and slightly alter) a famous line I am sure you will recognize and appreciate:

Hicks, you have shown your quality, sir - the very highest.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Again, Hicks, thank you so much for everything.

Its been a pleasure, and I hope we'll still see you around here!

(Waves at Hicks as he rides off into the sunset)
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Somebody needs to come up with a photoshopped replica of the Pacers jersey retirement banners that hang at the Fieldhouse with "Hicks" as the name on it.

Then, that "jersey" needs to be lifted into the "rafters" at the top of all pages in this website, perhaps as a secondary header under the logo. Without Hicks, this site and all that it means to all of us may never have come to be.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

A bit melodramatic in here, some of you act like he is setting off on a quest from which he may never return. He just don't' want to run the site anymore. Where else is he going discuss his favorite team.

You'll be back come training camp. You won't be able to resist this new era Pacer basketball.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Hicks for President!

heckuva speech

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

It's staying put, after all. Good call, and great post! Hope you stick around.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GizzyStardust For This Useful Post:

Thanks for everything Hicks...

Thanks for everything, Hicks. I would be embarrassed if I knew the total amount hours that I have spent on this forum over the past 9 years, ha. I remember reading the STAR board when I was a teenager back in 03 during the wild offseason that saw Bird come in as President, the re-signing of JO and Reggie, the Miller-Pollard trade, and the firing of Zeke/hiring of Carlisle. Wow, that really was a crazy off season. Anyway, soon after I started reading the STAR board, this site was created and I could quickly tell that all of the great Pacer discussion was moving here. I've been reading/posting ever since. That first season here was so exciting since the team was so good.

This really is one of the best message boards in all of sports. The Colts boards are awful. I've yet to find a board for "elite" teams like the Celtics, Knicks, or Lakers that can match this one. The Pacers were not a very good team for the majority of the years that this board has existed, yet it has always remained a top notch message board. That's a true testament to what you have created.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for everything, Hicks. I would be embarrassed if I knew the total amount hours that I have spent on this forum over the past 9 years, ha. I remember reading the STAR board when I was a teenager back in 03 during the wild offseason that saw Bird come in as President, the re-signing of JO and Reggie, the Miller-Pollard trade, and the firing of Zeke/hiring of Carlisle. Wow, that really was a crazy off season. Anyway, soon after I started reading the STAR board, this site was created and I could quickly tell that all of the great Pacer discussion was moving here. I've been reading/posting ever since. That first season here was so exciting since the team was so good.

This really is one of the best message boards in all of sports. The Colts boards are awful. I've yet to find a board for "elite" teams like the Celtics, Knicks, or Lakers that can match this one. The Pacers were not a very good team for the majority of the years that this board has existed, yet it has always remained a top notch message board. That's a true testament to what you have created.
    I was hoping Hicks was stepping down here to create a better Colts board. But alas...

LOL, the Colts boards are horrible.

And Hicks, I'm glad you're going to stay around and be a regular poster like the rest of us.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

oh god yes both colts boards are terrible, official board is way over moderated, they have a "peace" club now... Smh.

Colts freaks are a bunch of "elitest" eerr.. 4channers.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hicks, you should do what Bird is doing. Step down for a year or two, refresh yourself, and then take back over.

No offense to Shade, just a thought.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Hicks, you should do what Bird is doing. Step down for a year or two, refresh yourself
    Also, try smoking John Mellencamp under the table.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Bump.

Mood

Seriously the colts board SUCKS. I got into trouble for having a President Obama quote (a joke he made at the 2011 correspondents dinner) in my signature (although it had been there since June) in January. I was told it was deemed ok at first but I got into trouble when another user complained and called me "racist". I complained that it was inappropriate to moderate a board by pleasing the morons and screwing the rest of us and got banned. **** you, Colts board.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

​A toast, to a great forum, and a great admin in Hicks! To pacersdigest!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    oh god yes both colts boards are terrible, official board is way over moderated, they have a "peace" club now... Smh.

Colts freaks are a bunch of "elitest" eerr.. 4channers.
    Umm there is more than 2 Colts fan forums out there.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
    Umm there is more than 2 Colts fan forums out there.
    With some extremely dedicated fans. Folks at Colt power have been around a long time and have a similar vibe to PD.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

A little late to the goodbye party here, as I too became a bit burnt out, albeit after only about 6 months of hardcore Pacers Digest obsession. I just wanted to add my thank you and good luck in any future endeavors to Hicks. I know it was not an easy job and I certainly didn't make it any easier on occasion, but Hicks was always there to respectfully converse with. I really hope that you continue to post on here even if it is not as frequently, as you are an extremely valuable poster, not just admin, and often the voice of reason. Thanks again for creating a truly great board!

Sports Logo

I just want to expound a little on the "great community" vibe. This board is indeed that. And yes, an IMMENSE amount of that has to do with Hicks and the rest of the guys who run this place (out of their own pocket). But it has just as much to do with all the other regular joes. Sure, things get off the rails sometimes, a little heated here and there. But once everyone cools down a bit it's all copacetic. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with all of us being Pacers fans in the end but I've spend numerous years all over the internet discussing/arguing basketball. Bemoan the "new guys" or talk about how great the old days were when you dialed into PD on your 14.4 through WinSock or whatever, but this remains far and away, the best place on the internet to discuss basketball just as a general game as far as I'm concerned. And that really is because the moderators and admins are just regular fans like everyone else and KNOW it. No grandstanding bannings simply because of unpopular opinions or any of that stuff. I've never, ever, took part in a forum other than this one where you wouldn't know Poster X was a moderator unless you looked over and saw his username was in bold.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I just want to expound a little on the "great community" vibe. This board is indeed that. And yes, an IMMENSE amount of that has to do with Hicks and the rest of the guys who run this place (out of their own pocket). But it has just as much to do with all the other regular joes. Sure, things get off the rails sometimes, a little heated here and there. But once everyone cools down a bit it's all copacetic. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with all of us being Pacers fans in the end but I've spend numerous years all over the internet discussing/arguing basketball. Bemoan the "new guys" or talk about how great the old days were when you dialed into PD on your 14.4 through WinSock or whatever, but this remains far and away, the best place on the internet to discuss basketball just as a general game as far as I'm concerned. And that really is because the moderators and admins are just regular fans like everyone else and KNOW it. No grandstanding bannings simply because of unpopular opinions or any of that stuff. I've never, ever, took part in a forum other than this one where you wouldn't know Poster X was a moderator unless you looked over and saw his username was in bold.
    ...and here is yet another reason why this forum is amazing. Hicks founded a forum that brought in posters like Heisenberg who almost always has something excellent to post. Yet Heisenberg is just one of hundreds of quality posters here...who also gets to enjoy so many thoughtful posts.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I would also join in the "hey, the community itself is a big part of the vibe too" angle. I think the moderation was always done in a pretty fair manner with attempts to interact and reduce friction rather than just a ban-fest, while at the same time not putting up with clear trolling and nonsense that went unchecked at Star.

The visual look that Hicks put together was always very nice and that helped a ton in gaining my interest, along with the contest capability (photos, avitars, sigs) and retention of old content so those pages of passionate rants weren't deleted into the nether (intentionally at least ). And of course Abel has so much to do with that as well.

But it's that idea of "hey, let's get together and express our love of the Pacers by supporting each other and a common community" that makes Digest great. It's the same as the Area 55 vibe and why the 55'ers make such a natural fit in the Digest community. You've got people putting together meets not just in Indy but in other cities as well, people trying to get items for other members or information or whatever, all sorts of stuff. When Cable came into town it was nothing for me to want to get together with him and make him feel welcome because THAT'S WHAT DIGEST PEOPLE DO, and PD people did for me even when I first moved over from Star to a long established community. When I hit Texas last year there was Sycamore Ken finding his way to me and meeting up, for example. And Gnome/Hicks were the ones that got me into the Pacers roadie thing in the first place.

I like the idea that Digest carries a Pacers banner of friendly, passionate community. I like that it's not focused simply at the Pacers, but at fellow fans too. When JayRedd and Count55 get 8 Seconds going, Digest members support that and are happy for them. I really like to believe that at the core this is what it's about, carrying that banner of class, community and quality that should be at the core of what being a Pacers fan means. Maybe OKC and a couple of other fanbases have that going too, but I really like to think that when we hit the BiLF on a gamenight or a PD thread instead, it's about that sense of community and friendship that brings us together and makes it more than just another NBA game. It's the sharing of the Pacers season with each other that makes it more than just a sporting event.

And I give cheers Hicks, Abel, all the other moderators and so many hundreds of great PD members for making that the reality.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He’s been gone for years now (and never explained his absence), but from the very beginning I owe a lot to a former poster who went by kerosene. He was the first to reach out to me and offer great advice, and in the early days he was a great moderator for the forum and an equally great advisor to my then-19-year-old self. I doubt he’s reading this, but just in case: Kerosene, thank you.
    I remember Kerosene.

This is one of the aspects of the new cyberworld that is fascinating/frustrating. You can develop a relationship with someone you've never seen nor talked to. Odd.

I guess they did that back in the old days with extensive letter writing to unseen pals. Still odd.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: