Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Just wanna thank and congratulate Hicks for everything he has done. Everytime I see a post by him I read because in my mind he is like the all knowing wise man of PD. But I know Shade is more than capable and will make the transition smooth. PS GoldSwagger.com sounds pretty cool
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

ďAnd as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.Ē
    - Peyton Manning

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

I want to work on preparing a longer response when I have time to do it justice.

For now, to all who have spoken kind words, and to all who have enjoyed the last nine years with me on PD, I just want to say thank you.

3. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PacersIndigestion.com?
    Made this during the season, but never used it. Found it while looking through my pictures at work the other day.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    doing some brainstorming:

twominutes.com
    My wife was looking over my shoulder and asked what I was doing. After explaining and letting her know that some were coming up with suggestions for new names, she kind of liked twominutes.com.

She figured that since 90% of our posters were presumably male, twominutes.com might be an appropriate name.

Ouch!!! Maybe we should remove this one from our list of suggested names?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry to hear it, and sad to see the name go - but life goes on.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

I don't post a lot, but visit the site daily. Gotta say I'm bummed to see Hicks leave, I always enjoyed his responses and insight.

Hicks- you did a phenomenal job with the best basketball forum on the net. Thank you!

Over the past couple months, I've come to recognize and appreciate how big a part of my daily life this site is. Hicks you've done a phenomenal job - PacersDigest is not only the best NBA site one the web, I'd put it against any forum in general. Maybe I've been guilty of taking it for granted at times, but its immeasurable how much you all shape my experience as a fan. Thank you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    Over the past couple months, I've come to recognize and appreciate how big a part of my daily life this site is. Hicks you've done a phenomenal job - PacersDigest is not only the best NBA site one the web, I'd put it against any forum in general. Maybe I've been guilty of taking it for granted at times, but its immeasurable how much you all shape my experience as a fan. Thank you!
    Truth be told, I'm a little embarrassed to discuss how often I lurk at PacerDigest. I really do have an actual life, but someone could call that into question if they checked my browser's history.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Truth be told, I'm a little embarrassed to discuss how often I lurk at PacerDigest. I really do have an actual life, but someone could call that into question if they checked my browser's history.
    I have no life... PD is my homepage
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Thanks to Hicks for more than just this site. I've mentioned before I'm a moderator(admin, or whatever you wanna call it) of a soccer forum and coming here and seeing the way he interacted with everyone really improved my abilities over there. So I wanted to thank him for that as well.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Banned

You don't know how hard I'm trying to move away from PD but I can't

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Thanks to Hicks for more than just this site. I've mentioned before I'm a moderator(admin, or whatever you wanna call it) of a soccer forum and coming here and seeing the way he interacted with everyone really improved my abilities over there. So I wanted to thank him for that as well.
    Crew?
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    Crew?
    www.bigsoccer.com

I work with a couple others on the US Men's National team section.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    www.bigsoccer.com

I work with a couple others on the US Men's National team section.
    Ahh. As an avid soccer fan myself, I might have to go over there and sign up.
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    Ahh. As an avid soccer fan myself, I might have to go over there and sign up.
    Please do! We have a huge community and while we have some knuckleheads(who doesn't?) it's a real fun board. US gameday threads can be absolutely hilarious sometimes.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

"I wish I could quit you PD" -vnzla-

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Mood

Thank for everything you have done Hicks its greatly appreciated.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's on online community built around a niche interest.

It provides something Facebook doesn't provide: a smaller group of people to interact with and discuss things with. It's a valuable contribution to our lives.

BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Ohh this is gonna be good PacerPassion55's Avatar
    Mood

I never post on pacersdigest, but I come to this site every hour of every day. I do not know Hicks personally but, that being said, Hicks, I just want to thank you for all of your hard work making this THE best sports forum on the internet.

Mood

The one thing that matters in this world is the relationships that we develop and the lives that we effect for the future of this world. Hicks, your accomplishment of bringing people together with a common interest has helped develop life long friendships amongst the many here. In my short time here, this board has given me many laughs, insights into basketball that I never knew, and even a few tears. The efforts that the admins put forth towards the management of this website (as seen by the response of the board) have not gone unnoticed, even when many times it may feel that way. Hicks, you are "The Man" for starting this website. This is easily my favorite website. Pacers Digest has positively impacted my life, and for that I am thankful.

Hicks, able, and the rest of the admins, you are all first-ballot Hall of Famers in my book.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. Ö You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Names like Pacers Daily sound like daily news websites and blogs. Therefore, I do not like those names. In addition, names like Gold Swagger are two trendy. This forum will be in existence for many years. I would encourage contributors to consider a name that is timeless. The new name should be descriptive and timeless. For example, PacersTalk.com describes the function of the forum, and PacersNation.com describes the community of the forum.

I vote for PacersTalk.com or PacersNation.com

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

While this has taken longer to put together than I originally thought and I donít think Iíll ever come close to making this as good or as all-encompassing as I wish it to be, what follows is the best I can do without taking a million years to further revise and edit. I'm both busy and unable to fully express my thoughts and feelings. This will have to do.

I will begin by again thanking everyone for their kind words, their companionship over the past nine years, and all of your contributions to making this a great Pacers forum.

Shade is a better, wiser person than me, and you are all being left in great hands.

I can honestly say Iím proud of what PD has become. When I created the Pacers Digest forum, I did it with the established forum on Indystar.com in mind, and I truly believed, ďI can do better than this.Ē I was a participant on other (not Pacer) boards at the time, and using their moderation as an example of how to do things right, I gave it my best shot. Things were rough in the beginning, and I needed help and guidance, and I got it. Heís been gone for years now (and never explained his absence), but from the very beginning I owe a lot to a former poster who went by kerosene. He was the first to reach out to me and offer great advice, and in the early days he was a great moderator for the forum and an equally great advisor to my then-19-year-old self. I doubt heís reading this, but just in case: Kerosene, thank you.

Man. 19 years old. It was August of 2003, just as my sophomore year at Ball State University was beginning. That was sooo long ago now. My life has changed considerably since then. In fact, some of those changes I owe directly to PD. I met my best friend here. I met many other friends/acquaintances here. I even got a date once (Hi, Kat. ).

And when I think about it like that, itís undeniable: Pacers Digest changed my life. Beyond the above, it led to making some connections with people involved with the Pacers (both at PS&E and in the media), it TREMENDOUSLY improved my ability to write, to reason, to debate, to research, and to express myself. Iím actually in awe of the totality of the changes when I reflect on them all at once. Itís spectacular, really.

Along the journey, I developed and changed a lot. I got a lot of things right, and I got plenty wrong as well. Sinatra would say, ďRegrets, Iíve had a few, but then again, too few to mention.Ē I wonít mention mine either, but make no mistake: Theyíve stayed with me. Sometimes they still haunt me. Iím a pretty introspective, sensitive, empathetic individual, and when I dwell on the things I didnít do right, it can almost make me sick. Thatís one thing I wonít miss about moving on: I canít add any more to the list now that Iím not sitting in that chair anymore. If I ever came off as uncaring when I was at my worst, please believe me when I say that I always cared; often too much, actually.

But whatís done is done. On the positive side, I did an overall pretty damned good job. I stand by most of my decisions. I believe my heart steers me in the right direction more often than not, and I think trusting my instincts and beliefs played a significant role in PD becoming something special.

Although I may have done my fair share, and itís true that I tried my best to steer this ship in the right direction, I was never alone. The great people who help to administrate this site deserve great thanks from me and from all of you. They were MAJOR allies to me along the way, and they continue to serve the forum even as I am stepping down. This canít be thanked enough.

I also want to give special thanks to Abel. His contributions run deeper than most will ever realize, and his generosity towards both me and towards this community is absurdly kind. I have never, ever heard of anyone else doing for a website what he has voluntarily done for this one. Heís given a lot of time, a lot of money, and a lot of work. And it continues to this day; amazing. None of us would have had it so good without him.

Equally as important as all of the above, is the role so many of you have played in the development of the Pacers Digest forum. There have been so many wonderful posts since 2003 from so many of you. Your contributions are the life blood of this forum. So many talented people stop by. Great insights, great thoughts, great reasoning, great analysis, great wisdom, great skill sets, great writing. Itís just fantastic.

While good administration maintains an inhabitable posting environment, you are all the ones who actually bring this environment to life. Without you, thereís nothing left worth maintaining. Thank you all so much for choosing to come here and contribute. It means everything.

Something I had underestimated before reading the comments in this thread was the impact PD had on Pacers fans from other states, other countries, and other continents. I hadnít fully appreciated how PD allowed passionate fans from all around the world to mutually discuss and appreciate the team. Thatís very cool, and Iím very happy that it has been a positive place for many of you.

Before I go, I want to leave you with a few final notes and thoughts.

First of all, the Pacers Digest name is not going anywhere. I have given the domain to Shade/Abel, and the forum will keep its title.

Secondly, I wanted to at least partially explain why Iím leaving. Itís a somewhat complicated question/answer, but the essence of it is this: Iím completely burnt out. Itís time for me to step back, if not completely away. Right now, I expect to still post on occasion. The frequency will be determined as things move along. But I am not completely leaving. Not at this point. I am, however, done with administrative duties. That rests on the shoulders of the remaining admins now.

Finally, I want to share my hope for the future of Pacers Digest. Since its earliest days, the number one principal of this forum has been to maintain a basic level of respect and civility among its posters. This has served us well. But I challenge you all to do even better. Move beyond the basic expectation that posters will not resort to name calling or cursing one another. Strive for a classier community. Expect more maturity. Challenge everyone to be very respectful instead of kind of respectful. Push for more posters to be an emissary for their views, not a bully. Talk up to people instead of down at them. Encourage a community of grown men and women, not big boys and girls.

I believe in the possibility of an even greater forum. I really, really do. But we have to want it. We have to expect it. We have to encourage it. Every single day. We need to lift everyone else up. To new heights.

Thank you all so much.

34. The Following 70 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Well stated. A lot of us have grown a lot over the last 9 years that weve been here. Looking back, what you did at 19 was pretty special. I think it's cool that you get to spend time here as a regular poster, which is a perspective you really haven't been afforded since this place started up.

I was a big believer in the idea of pacers digest back then and I still am, and a big part of the reason is the people at the top that created and maintain it. I guess that's my roundabout way of saying thanks for your role in creating something special that we all have enjoyed over the last decade.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-23-2012 at 12:22 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Thank you for everything, Hicks. I know what I want to say but I am not wise enough to put it into words. I'm sure Bill or Shade will be able to say it well.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13