Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62

Thread: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

  1. #26
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Does Houston even have any players left? I thought MOrey traded them all.

  2. #27
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I hate it for Lin that he will be hated for getting a big paycheck but that is what someone payed him, he didnt demand it.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  3. #28
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    I honestly don't understand what use it is for Melo to make a comment like that, other than to put pressure on the office to not re-sign Lin. Why go public with a statement like that? It just makes you look like a douche, whether it's true or not.

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate it for Lin that he will be hated for getting a big paycheck but that is what someone payed him, he didnt demand it.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    ??? He received an offer from Houston, talked to the Knicks who told him he'd match, then went back to Houston, told them the Knicks would match and had them make it higher. Not sure what's a demand vs hard-nosed negotiating but he asked for as much as he could get.

    Nothing wrong with that - in the 3rd year of the deal he'll be getting at least 2X what he's worth and maybe more. If he can get that he should and I don't hold that against him. But Houston didn't pretend Lin was a dancer at a strip club and hurl money at him unasked.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  5. #30
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly don't understand what use it is for Melo to make a comment like that, other than to put pressure on the office to not re-sign Lin. Why go public with a statement like that? It just makes you look like a douche, whether it's true or not.
    Carmello is a jealous and insecure basketball player. He secretly hated seeing Lin having success with the Knicks when he was injured. When you feel threatened, you want the person who makes you fell that way out of the picture
    David "And One" West

  6. #31
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,602
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    I am not sure if many of you watch Steven A Smith, but he brought up a few good points.

    He said Lin's ego got out of control in NY and became a diva.

    Lin, apparently, was about 85% ready to go in the Miami series but chose not to play because he didn't want to jeopardize his next contract with an injury.

    Basically Lin was not a very popular player inside the locker room which, aside from the poison pill in year three, made it a question of whether or not to throw big jack at the guy when his teammates were questioning his heart and passion.

  7. #32
    Pacers Fan For Life J7F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,061

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure if many of you watch Steven A Smith, but he brought up a few good points.

    He said Lin's ego got out of control in NY and became a diva.

    Lin, apparently, was about 85% ready to go in the Miami series but chose not to play because he didn't want to jeopardize his next contract with an injury.

    Basically Lin was not a very popular player inside the locker room which, aside from the poison pill in year three, made it a question of whether or not to throw big jack at the guy when his teammates were questioning his heart and passion.
    Stephen is an unpaid member of the Knicks organization... He would be in on the anti-Lin spin along with Melo and JR...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:


  9. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    People thinking Jeremy Lin is capable of making Carmello Anthony feel threatened are hilariously delusional and falling for the ESPN spin hype. The same hype that have people thinking Lin is even a feature piece for a team. He's not. Lin is not a quality starter. Carmello Anthony has a career full of success at every level of play from college championships, to never missing the playoffs, to gold medals. Jeremy Lin threatens Carmello Anthony in no way except public popularity, and even that will fade quick as he puts up lackluster performances on a bloating contract. I hope someone bumps this around the all star break with Lin averaging 12/5/5 (the last 5 being turnovers) while NY is battling for home court playoff seeding.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:


  11. #34
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure if many of you watch Steven A Smith, but he brought up a few good points.

    He said Lin's ego got out of control in NY and became a diva.

    Lin, apparently, was about 85% ready to go in the Miami series but chose not to play because he didn't want to jeopardize his next contract with an injury.

    Basically Lin was not a very popular player inside the locker room which, aside from the poison pill in year three, made it a question of whether or not to throw big jack at the guy when his teammates were questioning his heart and passion.
    There is just no way that Lin wasn't popular inside the locker room. Granted, maybe there were things I couldn't tell by which those guys but they genuinely seemed to love playing with him. After months of star-driven iso-ball, they really seemed refreshed to have him around.

  12. #35
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    For once I'm going to side with Carmelo Anthony, but for my own selfish reasons. I already am annoyed with Jeremy Lin because he's going to be an All Star this year for absolutely no reason.

    Teams will figure him out, he'll suck, and he will get voted into the All Star game anyway. Ugh. I'm annoyed just thinking about it.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  14. #36
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People thinking Jeremy Lin is capable of making Carmello Anthony feel threatened are hilariously delusional and falling for the ESPN spin hype.
    Actually if Carmelo is as insecure as it sounds then it makes total sense. Certainly we're not "hilariously delusional," you might want to back off the hyperbole there a bit my man.

  15. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    I think the delusions are funny. That makes it hilariously delusional.

    On a tangential note that's not a correct usage for hyperbole, hyperbole is a great exaggeration that isn't meant to be taken seriously, such as, "Paul George can leap out of the building." No one really believes I think PG can do that, nor does anyone think he can, but it does evoke a strong image of PG jumping really, really high. That's hyperbole. ~the more you know.

    As far as Melo's insecurities... based on what? More ESPN reporting? Is there any actual evidence he's an insecure man? Or are you using ESPN reporting to validate ESPN reporting? Surely I don't need to explain the problems with that, my man.

  16. #38
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the delusions are funny. That makes it hilariously delusional.

    On a tangential note that's not a correct usage for hyperbole, hyperbole is a great exaggeration that isn't meant to be taken seriously, such as, "Paul George can leap out of the building." No one really believes I think PG can do that, nor does anyone think he can, but it does evoke a strong image of PG jumping really, really high. That's hyperbole. ~the more you know.

    As far as Melo's insecurities... based on what? More ESPN reporting? Is there any actual evidence he's an insecure man? Or are you using ESPN reporting to validate ESPN reporting? Surely I don't need to explain the problems with that, my man.
    I have no proof that Melo is insecure, but its obvious that he didn't like Lin taking up any attention
    David "And One" West

  17. #39
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,293

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no proof that Melo is insecure, but its obvious that he didn't like Lin taking up any attention
    I think it's a combination of three things. Attention. Melo has owned Denver since he entered the league and never had another player challenge him for popularity. Yes, it's an ego thing. Second, Linsanity was driving some of the players insane, particularly dealing with Lin's Chinese posse. Not sure if there were racial issues there. Finally, I do think it was about money and his experience level. The guy landed a very big contract without proving a lot. Just a fraction of a short season where he played great...then he gets that contract offer. JR Smith pretty much spelled that out. I think many of them believe he got the deal simply because he's Chinese...and quite frankly that probably had something to do with it. It averages out at over 8M/yr for a guy who simply hasn't proven much.

  18. #40
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,602
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no proof that Melo is insecure, but its obvious that he didn't like Lin taking up any attention
    How is it obvious? I have not heard Melo say one negative thing about Lin.

  19. #41
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,558

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Funny, I don't remember anyone complaining about Jerome James getting a huge contract after playing what, 10 semi-productive playoff games for Seattle.

  20. #42
    Member jjbjjbjjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Age
    37
    Posts
    376

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Marc Spears and others reporting that Lin is a Rocket. Which is unbelievable to me, and awesome. I don't know if this was suicide by the Knicks, but it sure was something.

  21. #43
    Member granger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    WONDERFUL. now i can cheer for Lin. hope bulls not match asik and they dont go for dwight. lin-lamb-madchicken-white-d.mo rockets gona be favorite to watch and cheer in west this year. oh and lin over little prick cp3 in allstar west startingfive is gona be like cherry on cake.

    meloball, knicks, amere, dolan ugh. cant wait the day msg boo em like crazy

  22. #44
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,364

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny, I don't remember anyone complaining about Jerome James getting a huge contract after playing what, 10 semi-productive playoff games for Seattle.
    Jerome had also played a few seasons at that point when he got his ridiculous contract. Lin has played basically 25 GAMES and got 25 million dollars for it.

    Like I said a few weeks, has anyone EVER received as much money for such a small amount of work?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  23. #45

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jerome had also played a few seasons at that point when he got his ridiculous contract. Lin has played basically 25 GAMES and got 25 million dollars for it.

    Like I said a few weeks, has anyone EVER received as much money for such a small amount of work?
    I'm sure plenty of players would if there weren't rookie salaries.

    I'm sure Lin's going to go through an adjustment period where teams figure him out. Just like every sophomore in the game. But I also think he's talented and smart enough to adjust to their adjustments.
    Last edited by Sookie; 07-17-2012 at 11:44 PM.

  24. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jerome had also played a few seasons at that point when he got his ridiculous contract. Lin has played basically 25 GAMES and got 25 million dollars for it.

    Like I said a few weeks, has anyone EVER received as much money for such a small amount of work?
    Lin is worth much more than 25m dollars. His jerseys sells alone will net that he made the Knicks a **** ton of money the mintue they would of matched he would of already been worth it.


    Really a terrible move by the Knicks for marketability alone. Im sure the Rockets owner is thrilled he just got a money train for only 25m he will likley bring 100m+ in global revenue in just next year.


    If Simon wasn't such a "neighborly" owner Lin maybe could of made him all the money he lost in the past few years but good old Simon isnt that kind of guy wont go after RFA .



    I think Lin is a better fit with the Rockets than the Knicks anyway Mike Woodson wasnt gonna let him play his game.



    Jerome James wasn't making the Knicks 500m+ in revenue based on a 3 week period so the comparison is terrible.


    if making the Knicks 500 million is small work I would like to see large work lol.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-17-2012 at 11:49 PM.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  26. #47
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,364

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    He might be worth it in the short-term, but he's going to come back to Earth. and be seen as a ridiculously awful contract before its all said and done, at which point, you won't even be able move his stuff in China.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  27. #48

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure if many of you watch Steven A Smith, but he brought up a few good points.
    Wait just a minute, SAS has never brought up a good point before, why did he start now?

  28. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He might be worth it in the short-term, but he's going to come back to Earth. and be seen as a ridiculously awful contract before its all said and done, at which point, you won't even be able move his stuff in China.
    In the short term?? He made the Knicks 600 million dollars last year
    read this
    http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...or-the-knicks/


    I dont care if with LT payments he cost 70+m he is more than worth it. Basketball is a business you cant just judge on court play for a players worth. Guys like Kobe/Drose/LBJ/Lin ECT are worth so much more than they get paid just based on the revenues they draw.

    Lin can suck the next 3 years and it doesn't matter fans will still come China will tune in and he will still be a global phenom.

    When Lin is starting in the all-star game next year over CP3 you will see how much he is worth because of his off court value.

  29. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny, I don't remember anyone complaining about Jerome James getting a huge contract after playing what, 10 semi-productive playoff games for Seattle.
    I did - I just KNEW Isiah Thomas would sign him for stupid money. Plenty of other folks felt the same.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Similar Threads

  1. Dolphins to appear on Hard Knocks
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 05:35 PM
  2. Replies: 107
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
  3. Jets to be on HBO's Hard Knocks
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 01:44 AM
  5. La Times: Sixers may get a lot for AI, some knocks on the East
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 04:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •