Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

I thought this was interesting enough to drive conversation. It is also potentially a headache for the NBAPA.

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
    “@rodboone: Melo on Knicks/Lin: "It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract."”
    Retweeted by Ken Berger
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    Melo on #Knicks Lin saga: "It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract."
    Retweeted by Alex Kennedy

I'm not entirely sure that a guy on a contract the size of Melo's who has never done anything should be talking...
    Last edited by BrownBearCoffee; 07-15-2012 at 12:29 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Melo Knocks Lin's Offer

Seems like bad form to ever knock a fellow player for getting paid.

But- He is right. The contract is ridiculous.

I also wonder if 'Melo has a little left over animosity when people were making the absolutely RIDICULOUS claims that the when 'Melo came back from his injury he was going to screw up the chemistry and the Knicks would be better without him. (That's absurd, 'Melo's scoring ability is topped only by Dirk and Durant)
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

hope Amare doesn't punch a fire extinguisher or something when he hears this. Melo's such a bum. They're never winning crap with that guy there.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I also wonder if 'Melo has a little left over animosity when people were making the absolutely RIDICULOUS claims that the when 'Melo came back from his injury he was going to screw up the chemistry and the Knicks would be better without him. (That's absurd, 'Melo's scoring ability is topped only by Dirk and Durant)
    You can almost rest assured this is scripted. The Knicks are in major damage control mode as they prepare to not match Lins contract. So they need a joint effort to try and downplay the whole situation and probably start a bit of a calculated negative campaign on Lin. Highly unpopular letting him go, so they need to try and offset that as much as possible. Also, I always got the feeling Melo didnt like Lin much. Melo was out I believe when Lin went on his miraculous run and it created alot of drama about what would happen when Melo came back.

Gotta Play Big

It's not ridiculous from a business standpoint. He will sell more merchandise and draw far more interest than Melo simply because of China. Also, while Melo is a scoring machine, he's similar to Iverson. He's filled with talent but his style of play and tendency to call his own number out of the context of the offense is and has always been detrimental to his team.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Oops.

'Melo was referring to the contract being ridiculous. Not because of the amount of money, but because the way it is structured, with a 14.9 million final year. AHhh. Now that makes much more sense.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...act-ridiculous
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying Jeremy Lin is more talented or "better" than Melo. But I'd rather have Lin on my team.

Thank you Knicks though. Ticket prices should be cheaper..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Lin obviously didn't want to be a knick or he wouldn't have agreed to a contract structured like that. Lin probably wanted a new home partially because Carmelo is such a Diva. Carmelo is complaining that Lin was able to control his destiny instead of being forced to be a knick. The Rockets could not do this unless Lin wanted it to happen, so in my opinion maybe the knicks should have tried a little harder to make Lin happy. They didn't draft him, they didn't even trade for him, and if it wasn't for injuries I doubt they would have even played him, therefore I don't feel like the knicks are owed anything. The fans loved Lin, Anthony wants to hold him down.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 07-15-2012 at 05:35 PM.

He agreed to the biggest contract he could because who knows if he'll ever get another one near that size.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    He agreed to the biggest contract he could because who knows if he'll ever get another one near that size.
    Not cool at all

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...sorry, couldn't help it.

That's going to be the worst contract in the league, Melo is right to call it ridiculous. Lin is not that good.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oops.

'Melo was referring to the contract being ridiculous. Not because of the amount of money, but because the way it is structured, with a 14.9 million final year. AHhh. Now that makes much more sense.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...act-ridiculous
    Yea...because Lin making 14.9 million is ridiculous but Carmelo making 24 million that same year is??????? Melo is just an ***.

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    True, but there is no benefit to Lynn from backloading the deal. A balanced structure would actually be better for Lynn. That's why I expect he wanted out of NY.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Regarding the contract structure, I do like that RFA's can use such creative accounting as a tool to discourage their original team from matching. However, I read that structure only applies to the Knicks, if he does sign with Houston the salary hit is the average over 3 years (ie 8 per year.) That's going overboard, IMO, it should be the same for either team.

Also, Harvard grad Lin can't pretend he didn't see this coming. He signed a deal that heavily discouraged the Knicks from matching. They must have really pissed him off for him to go back to the team that gave up on him.

:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

He's calling it ridiculous because of the poison pill in the last year. The Knicks are smart to not match that. I don't see anything wrong with what Melo said.
    "In 49 states it's just basketball ... but this is Indiana."

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rousea24 For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    True, but there is no benefit to Lynn from backloading the deal. A balanced structure would actually be better for Lynn. That's why I expect he wanted out of NY.

He wanted out of NY because it was obvious that Melo didn't like him. The Knicks were playing well with Lin for too many games for him to be a fluke. Then as soon as Melo comes back, they started sucking. Then Lin is benched and they go on a run. Pretty obvious Melo sabotaged things for Lin so B Diddy could start.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    He wanted out of NY because it was obvious that Melo didn't like him. The Knicks were playing well with Lin for too many games for him to be a fluke. Then as soon as Melo comes back, they started sucking. Then Lin is benched and they go on a run. Pretty obvious Melo sabotaged things for Lin so B Diddy could start.
    Melo didn't want Lin there because he could feel the New York fans turning on him and turning towards Lin.

This won't help.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I think with Melo's comments he was just pointing out to the contract being ridiculous, but he still wanted to play alongside Lin.

As others have said this contract is not just about basketball, a lot of it is marketing. Lin will be much much more marketable than most players of his caliber/skill level (borderline starter I think is where he is right now) simply because of the large Chinese audience interested in the NBA coupled with such a small number of Chinese players in the league.

Which I have no problem with, BTW, more power to him, plus he's fun to watch.

So if you look at it in that light it's not such a bad investment for a team that can afford it. In pure basketball terms though yes it would be a ridiculous contract. JMHO
    Last edited by rabid; 07-16-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post

just because theres no benefit to Lin doesnt mean theres no benefit to Houston.

Houston wouldn't have agreed to sign Lin to an offer sheet at all if Lin refused to accept the backloaded contract, because they knew the Knicks would match it and therefore there would be no point.

and if Lin doesn't get that offer sheet he has no bargaining chip to get close to that amount from the Knicks directly.

Lin could very well have wanted to stay in NY and signed the backloaded offer sheet. There's no way Houston would have given him an offer sheet at all if Lin didn't agree to backload it

wow. when is the last time an nba player talk like that about contract his colleague offered.

obvious reason is because Lin stole his light in MSG.
    Man i really hate that attention whore. When your ISO ball getting asskicked and playoffs became dream, that guy comes and lead the team with beutiful team ball and put Knicks back in league.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

JR Smith follows up Melo's comment with this gem:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ncy/index.html

Asked if Lin's contract could cause a challenging dynamic with his teammates, Smith agreed.

"Without a doubt," he said. "I think some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."
    Now Melo may be referring to the poison pill, but JR Smith's comments make it clear it's about the money. When was the last time we heard an NBA player commenting about another player's contract? It's not like we haven't seen players get ridiculously overpayed before.

All I can say is, if the Knicks do match on Lin's offer (and it's looking unlikely), it's going to be awfully awkward in that locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I can say is, if the Knicks do match on Lin's offer (and it's looking unlikely), it's going to be awfully awkward in that locker room.
    Might be the case in Houston too.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    Might be the case in Houston too.
    I don't see Houston players making this sort of comments about their former (and potentially new) teammate? And I don't see Bulls players making this sort of comments about Asik either. You know, Asik who received the exact same offer from Houston while averaging 3 and 5 in 15 min a game?

I do think players do resent their teammates who are perceived to be overpaid, but this is taking it to a whole other level.