Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft Express, reporting from Orlando: OJ "ready to play now"

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Draft Express, reporting from Orlando: OJ "ready to play now"

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People need to stop jumping to conclusions from summer league.

Those guys go through 2 a day practices for a few days, and then play games FIVE days in a row. That's far worse than the condensed schedule the NBA players played, and that was talked about to no end the effect it has on players.

Lance has looked good in the summer before, even better than Paul George. Everyone was freaking out about it, and it meant nothing. This means nothing ...... EVERY .... SINGLE .... YEAR. The sooner people realize that, the better off they'll be.
    Well, SL does mean something. evaluating players in SL is huge. It's just that some things can be discarded, like shooting poorly when that is not the norm of a players history.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

For the same reason I am not worried about Orlando Johnson, I have the same reason not to think Magnum Rolle is the next Dale Davis.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A.B.Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Well, SL does mean something. evaluating players in SL is huge. It's just that some things can be discarded, like shooting poorly when that is not the norm of a players history.
    Why is poor shooting any different? There are many players who can handle the 3 line in NCAA, but not NBA. NBA level competitors are stronger and more athletic making it harder to convert shots. These facts shouldn't be discarded any more than any other skill. The fact he shot over 40% from the NCAA three is great. It does mean he can shoot in the NCAA. It does not mean he can convert shots against professionals...so that history can now be thrown out the window.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Why is poor shooting any different? There are many players who can handle the 3 line in NCAA, but not NBA. NBA level competitors are stronger and more athletic making it harder to convert shots. These facts shouldn't be discarded any more than any other skill. The fact he shot over 40% from the NCAA three is great. It does mean he can shoot in the NCAA. It does not mean he can convert shots against professionals...so that history can now be thrown out the window.
    Using Orlando as an example:

I wasn't referring to 3pt shots. He got many shots off where he got himself open, but they didn't fall. pound for pound, he was the strongest man on the court vs opponents. I don't see a problem with his abilities to get his shot. His shot will come.

As far as 3pt shot, almost every college prospect has to adjust to get their shot to fall. Rather it is a lottery guy or a undrafted guy, so you confirm more to what I stated to begin with.

Also, somebody had referred to Steve Alford having shot very well in college but couldn't make it in the NBA cause he couldn't adapt (I believe this was the jest of it). Well it wasn't just his shot, it was more cause his athletic ability and will to get stronger. He as a player (not only a shooter) never adapted. OJ will not have the physical and mental problems that frustrated Alford. If there is a player right now that resembles one another, it would be Ben Hansbrough and Steve Alford. You notice Ben just doesn't have the physical aspect and it makes him fail in his shot, ball handling, decision making, ect. The same issue that Alford had at the pro level.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    His shot selection was pretty terrible. He had a very efficient game in college, and he needs to go back to making better decisions about what is a shot he should take. He looked like he rushed everything and chucked constantly in the Summer League.
    He has good shot selection at times, his shot just was not going down, consistently coming up short, it should be an easy adjustment for the coaching staff to help him with, I think.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    People need to stop jumping to conclusions from summer league.

Those guys go through 2 a day practices for a few days, and then play games FIVE days in a row. That's far worse than the condensed schedule the NBA players played, and that was talked about to no end the effect it has on players.

Lance has looked good in the summer before, even better than Paul George. Everyone was freaking out about it, and it meant nothing. This means nothing ...... EVERY .... SINGLE .... YEAR. The sooner people realize that, the better off they'll be.
    The only thing I get from summer league is a sense of what individual players have in their bball tool boxes. Then it's back to subjectivity when deciding which ones I think might still work during an NBA game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    For the same reason I am not worried about Orlando Johnson, I have the same reason not to think Magnum Rolle is the next Dale Davis.
    Liked for Double D reference.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When it comes to SL I think most teams look more at potential, than actual performance, at least when it comes to rookies.

Did Orlando get signed today?

A Monterey reporter has tweeted that "it's official" he has a three year contract with two years guaranteed, but no more details than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho.Don View Post
    Did Orlando get signed today?

A Monterey reporter has tweeted that "it's official" he has a three year contract with two years guaranteed, but no more details than that.
    Kevin Pritchard ‏@nbakev
    @lingolou78 @pacers @pace_o11 He is signed, sealed and delivered!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Larry Bird also said that Plumlee was NBA ready (to play now). So hopefully, we got two guys who aren't just going to be benchmarks, but rather serviceable players at their positions when the time comes. Even though, according to my depth chart, OJ will be the last wing off the bench, I think practice, training camp, and the preseason will do a lot to separate the truly-ready players from the ones that need some work. We've got plenty of other wings, so if OJ doesn't step up, expect him to get plenty of bench time. Not saying he won't see the court ever, but he won't get Lance minutes. And it's pretty evident that Green will get minutes over him too.

Hopefully, though, we'll be able to shed the fat of players who aren't contributing for us (i.e. Hansbrough, OJ, Pendergraph) and pick up someone we can continue to use. But as it stands right now, I think our roster is solid, and I think everyone will have something to contribute. Except maybe Pendergraph.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.