Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Express, reporting from Orlando: OJ "ready to play now"

Default Draft Express, reporting from Orlando: OJ "ready to play now"

"I have a feeling Indiana traded Dahntay Jones in no small part due to the way Orlando Johnson has looked here in Orlando. Ready to play now."

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...14444205006850

20% shooting? Who cares...?

Default Re: Draft Express, reporting from Orlando: OJ "ready to play now"

His shot selection was pretty terrible. He had a very efficient game in college, and he needs to go back to making better decisions about what is a shot he should take. He looked like he rushed everything and chucked constantly in the Summer League.

I think the 20% shooting mark is meaningless, obviously he has struggled to make some shots but he has also shown good athleticism and some nice moves while getting to the basket. He has struggled shooting for 2 reasons IMO. 1. He is in summer league trying to impress the coaches which is causing him to shoot tough shots he would not normally take and 2. he is still adjusting to the longer 3 pt line. He is a good shooter which is obvious to anyone who watched him in college, so he just needs to adjust. The only things to look for in summer league are 1. Athleticism (which he has shown), 2. post/drive moves (which he has shown) and 3. passing/rebounding skills (which he has also shown). I think he will impress a lot of people

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AugustinGrangerHill For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well now is now...which means the Summer League. So I guess hes right. OJ is definitely playing now. As for when the season rolls around...Hmmm...Maybe the Pacers break their longstanding philosophy of not putting players in the D-League. That would seem the only real way he likely sees much floor time come this fall.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the 20% shooting mark is meaningless, obviously he has struggled to make some shots but he has also shown good athleticism and some nice moves while getting to the basket. He has struggled shooting for 2 reasons IMO. 1. He is in summer league trying to impress the coaches which is causing him to shoot tough shots he would not normally take and 2. he is still adjusting to the longer 3 pt line. He is a good shooter which is obvious to anyone who watched him in college, so he just needs to adjust. The only things to look for in summer league are 1. Athleticism (which he has shown), 2. post/drive moves (which he has shown) and 3. passing/rebounding skills (which he has also shown). I think he will impress a lot of people

I am sorry, I can't think of any precedent for a guy who played so bad against fringe NBA players making a team and having a positive impact.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I am sorry, I can't think of any precedent for a guy who played so bad against fringe NBA players making a team and having a positive impact.
    Paul George?

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Paul George?
    He didn't just play bad, but he played Orlando bad?

He didn't just play bad, but he played Orlando bad?
    He shot 33%, shot 3 of 26 from 3 point range, and 5 turnovers per game in summer league.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Paul George played Orlando Johnson bad and look at him now

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AugustinGrangerHill For This Useful Post:

Maybe the Pacers are looking at Orlando to see if he can be the 4th wing if Lance cannot. It appears the plan so far is for one of them to be a rotation guy. Depends if they need a guy that can make shots or a guy that can create shots.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I have been impressed with OJ's handles and penetration, hustle, defense. He has very good body control. He looks like he has a good stroke and quite a few jump shots where right on line but being barely short or long. He needs to calm down a bit when he does have the ball and stop forcing. His decision making and shot selection is not good, but it is summer league and he is anxious, I'm sure. I think he will do fine once he is in a fundamentally sound system. Pound for pound he is an absolute beast and I'm excited to see him further his progress and hopefully as a Pacers.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No chance Orlando jumps Stephenson in the rotation
    David "And One" West

It could be the coaches want him to take as many shots as possible, kind of like how JOB only wanted McRoberts to take 3's.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb View Post
    "I have a feeling Indiana traded Dahntay Jones in no small part due to the way Orlando Johnson has looked here in Orlando. Ready to play now."

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...14444205006850

20% shooting? Who cares...?
    Exactly. I see him headed to the D-League (oh, wait, the Pacers don't use the D-League) based on his performance in the SL......

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I totally agree he is ready to play now. He played awful in SL yes but what I saw on tape I think he will do fine this year in the role we need him to play. Judging a guy on 5 SL games playing with guys he has never played with and not knowing where he will get his shots isnt a smart way to judge if a guy is ready IMO. I still question his separation ability but for the role we need him to play that wont be an issue.

If he struggles after a full training camp and knowing what we need from him than I may change my mind but I think he will be fine once he clams down and learns to play with everyone.

He was my 2nd or 3rd choice at the time we drafted but IMO there will be starters from this draft that go later than what Johnson did. I think some 1st rd talents went in the 40s and even one in the 50s.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-14-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I totally agree he is ready to play now. He played awful in SL yes but what I saw on tape I think he will do fine this year in the role we need him to play. Judging a guy on 5 SL games playing with guys he has never played with and not knowing where he will get his shots isnt a smart way to judge if a guy is ready IMO. I still question his separation ability but for the role we need him to play that wont be an issue.
    Agreed. We know he can shoot, so his fg% in SL is the last thing we should be paying attention to.

And dleague is the last place he should be. He needs to be around our coaching staff.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

The only place OJ is ready to play is the playground. Both Lance and Paul George are younger and better options. Then we have Green and Granger who are a bit older, but much better. Not to mention George Hill will probably get some minutes at SG with Lance or DJ at the point...and there are no minutes for a guy who cannot hit the broad side of a barn.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The only place OJ is ready to play is the playground. Both Lance and Paul George are younger and better options. Then we have Green and Granger who are a bit older, but much better. Not to mention George Hill will probably get some minutes at SG with Lance or DJ at the point...and there are no minutes for a guy who cannot hit the broad side of a barn.
    This just makes you look ignorant how can a guy who shoots 41% 3pt shooting in his last 2 years of college not hit the broad side of a barn . Especially considering most of the shots he took in college where heavily contested because he was the only good player on his team. I just dont get how people overreact or short sided especially considering you have never seen him play a real game. SL is about as close to an NBA game as the Drew League or the Indy Pro AM. I was surprised at how selfish he looked in the SL(actually not really it is the SL most players try to do way to much) he was so unselfish in college and played really smart most of the time. He just tried to do way to much and impress people give him time he will show why he is a good player.

Right now he and Gerald Green our the best wing shooters off the bench

This would be like saying Danny is the worst player in the NBA because he went 2-20 in the Twolves game a few years ago just doesn't make any sense.

This reminds me of the guys who always told me Brandon Rush cant shoot or a bad shooter the argument is just
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

This just makes you look ignorant how can a guy who shoots 41% 3pt shooting in his last 2 years of college not hit the broad side of a barn . Especially considering most of the shots he took in college where heavily contested because he was the only good player on his team. I just dont get how people overreact or short sided especially considering you have never seen him play a real game. SL is about as close to an NBA game as the Drew League or the Indy Pro AM.

This would be like saying Danny is the worst player in the NBA because he went 2-20 in the Twolves game a few years ago just doesn't make any sense.

This reminds me of the guys who always told me Brandon Rush cant shoot or a bad shooter the argument is just
    So he is ignorant because he has a different opinion than you? That is rich.

Gee, why would a reasonable mind be not head over heels for OJ, hmmm.

You are putting more stock in his performance against Big West opponents as opposed to borderline NBA players. I am not sure looking at it the other way makes a person "ignorant".

Most players who put up the numbers and played the way OJ did will not even get a tryout let alone make a team. He and Hansbrough were the worst players on the team by far. OJ showed very little playmaking ability. It looked like all he wanted to do was shoot, and against this competition he did not fare to well.

I am not going to say cut the kid or anything. I am not going to overreact. But to act like someone who is skeptical of OJ after watching him these past 5 days is "ignorant" is laughable at best.

This just makes you look ignorant how can a guy who shoots 41% 3pt shooting in his last 2 years of college not hit the broad side of a barn . Especially considering most of the shots he took in college where heavily contested because he was the only good player on his team. I just dont get how people overreact or short sided especially considering you have never seen him play a real game. SL is about as close to an NBA game as the Drew League or the Indy Pro AM. I was surprised at how selfish he looked in the SL(actually not really it is the SL most players try to do way to much) he was so unselfish in college and played really smart most of the time. He just tried to do way to much and impress people give him time he will show why he is a good player.

Steve Alford was a better shooter in college and didn't pan out. IOW, whatever a player did in college in terms of shooting is not a good indicator of his success in the NBA.

Also, OJ is old coming out of college and he did not play well. Not a good sign. I can understand Paul George at 19 being raw, but not a 23 year old. OJ will see the floor about as much as Pendergraph did last year, and he'll get cut to make room for a player with more potential. Dude is old and when he's scoring 5ppg on 40% shooting in his 3rd year, it will be time to say goodbye...if it doesn't happen earlier.

Yeah he shot poorly in SL. I was more impressed with the ability I saw from him in drawing fouls and getting to the line. His shot will come back to him. If you have to, stash him in the D-League this season and get him some burn in Fort Wayne.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

So he is ignorant because he has a different opinion than you? That is rich.

Gee, why would a reasonable mind be not head over heels for OJ, hmmm.

You are putting more stock in his performance against Big West opponents as opposed to borderline NBA players. I am not sure looking at it the other way makes a person "ignorant".

Most players who put up the numbers and played the way OJ did will not even get a tryout let alone make a team. He and Hansbrough were the worst players on the team by far. OJ showed very little playmaking ability. It looked like all he wanted to do was shoot, and against this competition he did not fare to well.

I am not going to say cut the kid or anything. I am not going to overreact. But to act like someone who is skeptical of OJ after watching him these past 5 days is "ignorant" is laughable at best.
    He didn't say he was ignorant because they he had a different opinion, that is a strawman, and is used constantly, he said he looked ignorant because he was disregarding OJ's College career. (this isn't to say I agree or disagree with Pacer4ever, but that same strawman is used constantly and it isn't valid, he wasn't calling anyone ignorant because they shared different beliefs)

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

People need to stop jumping to conclusions from summer league.

Those guys go through 2 a day practices for a few days, and then play games FIVE days in a row. That's far worse than the condensed schedule the NBA players played, and that was talked about to no end the effect it has on players.

Lance has looked good in the summer before, even better than Paul George. Everyone was freaking out about it, and it meant nothing. This means nothing ...... EVERY .... SINGLE .... YEAR. The sooner people realize that, the better off they'll be.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

The problem I had was with this thread's title. OJ didn't show he's "ready to play now". Maybe he will turn out to be a good player. But he's done nothing to help his case and claiming he's "ready to play now" after that performance is just ridiculous.

I think people are overreacting. No, Orlando Johnson didn't show he was NBA ready by his summer league play, but he's like our third string SG. Everyone just needs to simmer down. If we are relying on him for major minutes then two or three other bench guys (Green and Lance) are either playing poorly or are hurt.