Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 81

Thread: Eastern Conference preview

  1. #26
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    You know what I expect? I expect teams to pick'n'roll Hibbert and the Pacers to death until they prove they can do anything at all to slow it down. And based on what I saw, Im not sure they will be able to slow it down.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    I do agree about that last statement from cinotimz. The PnR on defense is something that REALLY needs to get adressed. I know Mahinmi is supposedly decent at working against it, but with Hibbert and Hill in this is a really serious issue. I, however, believe that not only other teams adapt to our weakeness, I believe we will adapt to some of our own weakenesses aswell.

    Further, I do expect Brooklyn, the Knicks and Celtics to be our main competitors for the number 2 spot in the season, which logically would mean I expect us to end between spot #2 an #5, where exactly is impossible to tell now as injuries really factor mightily into this equation aswell. I think Boston is not to underestimated. They replaced Allen and Bradley with Terry, but also let's not forget got back Green and added Sullinger (I don't see Fab Melo being much if any of a factor this coming season) and might very well add Courtney Lee aswell. Combined with their massive amount of experience that's a very strong team IMHO. Injuries are their major enemy together with KG getting older. Pierce too, but he's younger then KG as is and I see him declining after KG.

    The Bulls are still dangerous, but to say losing the MVP of the 2010-2011 will hardly affect them is non-sense, but to each their opinion, offcourse. They also lost some of their depth this offseason. I see them as dangerous IF Rose can return to form before the playoffs. I do expect us to end up higher at a higher spot at the end of the regular season though. I also feel some around here keep talking about our team as if we hardly have talent, which I think is absolute BS. We definitely have a lot of talent, just not a superstar. Those are very important, maybe even crucial, but I see us having a decent shot of atleast reaching the 2nd round and possibly, depending on who will face in the 2nd round, the ECF.

    I expect the Wizards to make a jump up the ladder aswell and atleast contending for the final playoff spot.
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-14-2012 at 04:38 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  4. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmmm....Its looking like theres gonna be quite a few people pretty disappointed next season. I dearly hope that all of you picking the P's to finish between 2 and 4 are right. But barring some significant catastrophes it really just seems highly unlikely. Miami, Brooklyn, Boston, Chicago and New York are all likely to finish ahead of us. I think 4 would be the absolute best possible finish and likely they finish between 5 to 7.
    I think you have it about right and the sixers are going to be in the mix too.... I think we will finish second to Chicago in our division but the real power is in the other divisions.....

  5. #29

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    The Nets are clearly the number 2 team and I hate to say that but they are. They have a better starting 5 and the Pacers have the better bench which isn't saying much.

  6. #30
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,664
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nets are clearly the number 2 team and I hate to say that but they are. They have a better starting 5 and the Pacers have the better bench which isn't saying much.
    Really? Is Joe Johnson worth about 25 wins? Cause they were 7-14 after the Gerald Wallace trade, so you are assuming they will jump from lottery to elite because of Joe Johnson. Then I guess he's not overpaid.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to FrenchConnection For This Useful Post:


  8. #31
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Is Joe Johnson worth about 25 wins? Cause they were 7-14 after the Gerald Wallace trade, so you are assuming they will jump from lottery to elite because of Joe Johnson. Then I guess he's not overpaid.
    But they havent just added Joe Johnson. Brook Lopez will be there also.

  9. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Is Joe Johnson worth about 25 wins? Cause they were 7-14 after the Gerald Wallace trade, so you are assuming they will jump from lottery to elite because of Joe Johnson. Then I guess he's not overpaid.
    They have Lopez back from injury and they have made other signings. Those folks and Johnson will be worth more than 25 wins..... They have a superstar and some very good players around him. The Pacers have no superstar and no "go to" player. Brooklyn will be much better than the Pacers as they are right now....

  10. #33
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,664
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nets are clearly the number 2 team and I hate to say that but they are. They have a better starting 5 and the Pacers have the better bench which isn't saying much.
    Really? Is Joe Johnson worth about 25 wins? Cause they were 7-14 after the Gerald Wallace trade, so you are assuming they will jump from lottery to elite because of Joe Johnson. Then I guess he's not overpaid.

  11. #34
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,664
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    I don't think that the two of them are worth 25-30 games. In order to pass us, they would have had to win 21 more games. Over a full season, that would be 25 games. That also assumes that we don't get better, which we will. Paul George should be better. Hibbert has gotten better every year. We will get the good David West from the second half for an entire season. I don't think that the improvements will show up in the wins and losses as I think that 52 wins is the max that this group can attain.

    Don't get me wrong, the Nets may be better than us but saying that they are clearly better is hyperbole. I think that Lopez returning to form and Marshon Brooks breaking out could push them over the top but that is far from a sure thing.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to FrenchConnection For This Useful Post:


  13. #35
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    I'm not sure the Nets will be that high that quickly. Remember in 2010-11 it took Miami until the tail end of the season to get things together.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. #36

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that the two of them are worth 25-30 games. In order to pass us, they would have had to win 21 more games. Over a full season, that would be 25 games. That also assumes that we don't get better, which we will. Paul George should be better. Hibbert has gotten better every year. We will get the good David West from the second half for an entire season. I don't think that the improvements will show up in the wins and losses as I think that 52 wins is the max that this group can attain.

    Don't get me wrong, the Nets may be better than us but saying that they are clearly better is hyperbole. I think that Lopez returning to form and Marshon Brooks breaking out could push them over the top but that is far from a sure thing.

    Its really about team chemistry for the Nets. That lineup has faced injuries and hasn't had a full training camp. Joe Johnson makes Dwill much better and defenses will not be able to stop that collective group.

    The Nets are clearly better than Pacers and I have no problem saying that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure the Nets will be that high that quickly. Remember in 2010-11 it took Miami until the tail end of the season to get things together.
    THe Heat also had redundant pieces in Wade and Lebron. The Nets don't have that problem IMO.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 07-14-2012 at 10:33 AM.

  15. #37
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,276

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    The Nets are the new Hawks. They'll be significantly better than last season, but that's not saying much.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  17. #38
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Man alot of you folks really doubt our team just because they dont' have big names. We had the best starting 5 in the entire playoffs last year. Like a +79 or something, there was an article about it on here. We are going to be good this year, really really good. I'm glad I bought another 1/2 season ticket package.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  19. #39
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nets are the new Hawks. They'll be significantly better than last season, but that's not saying much.
    The "new hawks" tagline is not only ridiculous, but it needs to stop. For every NBA team.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  21. #40

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "new hawks" tagline is not only ridiculous, but it needs to stop. For every NBA team.
    Why? They have one player in common. It makes perfect sense. The Pacers are the "new Bobcats" and the Hornets are the "new Kentucky Wildcats."

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  23. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man alot of you folks really doubt our team just because they dont' have big names. We had the best starting 5 in the entire playoffs last year. Like a +79 or something, there was an article about it on here. We are going to be good this year, really really good. I'm glad I bought another 1/2 season ticket package.
    I don't care about that absurd + or - number. That is the most overrated stat in all of sports. We didn't have the best starting five last year. We couldn't match up with Miami, Boston, Chicago (even without Rose) and NY starting five is much better than the Pacers. Look for that team to be much better with a full season of Woodson. Those teams I mentioned have superstars. Players that can takeover a game in the last two minutes. The Pacers don't have any. How many top 50 players to the Pacers have? Don't give me Granger because even if there is a poll that says he is, he isn't. I would think Hibbert and West would be our only two players that would make that list and West would be done aways. I'm glad you bought the package too and we will be good but not really, really good. About fifth or sixth in the East kind of good in my opinion.

  24. #42
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    And you are entitled to that opinion as am I in COMPLETELY disagreeing with your opinion . Some of you make it sound like it's only about names. Well that Laker team futuring Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton sure was awesome winning multiple championships, weren't they? Oooh... oops...

    I think we together with the Knicks, Bulls, Nets and Celtics will be right up there a tier below Miami. Anyone of those teams could make up the end of season ranked 2 to 5. That includes the Nets, but that also includes us. IF we end up 2 and the Nets 3 or 4 then we did better, simple as that. I think the Bulls IF they get Rose back in good form is just a tad below Miami and a tad above us, but the gap between them and us has been considerably shortened with them losing some of their depth and our team developing and improving it's bench.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:


  26. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you are entitled to that opinion as am I in COMPLETELY disagreeing with your opinion . Some of you make it sound like it's only about names. Well that Laker team futuring Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton sure was awesome winning multiple championships, weren't they? Oooh... oops...

    I think we together with the Knicks, Bulls, Nets and Celtics will be right up there a tier below Miami. Anyone of those teams could make up the end of season ranked 2 to 5. That includes the Nets, but that also includes us. IF we end up 2 and the Nets 3 or 4 then we did better, simple as that. I think the Bulls IF they get Rose back in good form is just a tad below Miami and a tad above us, but the gap between them and us has been considerably shortened with them losing some of their depth and our team developing and improving it's bench.
    Didn't the team you mentioned get to the finals? Malone was making one attempt to win a title and Payton was about done but got one in Miami with Shaq......... Other than that, I think your statement is fair. Miami is way out there and several teams will battle to fill the next four or five spots..... The Pacers could be in it or they could have an injury and be out of it as could any of those teams.....

  27. #44
    Member k_lewis93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    What is wrong with some people? We have an even better team then we did last year and we are going to do worse? Come on now...I'm not trying to be rude but just look at the other teams and look at ours. We are very young and are only going to get better. Sure Brooklyn got better but are they better then us? No way. NY will always have problems bc it's NY and too much is always expected of them and when you have Melo on your team you can count on having no ball movement. Having an all-star who carries your team through most of the season will only take you so far. I don't see any reason why we can't be the 2 seed this coming year. I will obviously say that Miami is better then us. That is a very obvious point considering they got better as well. The Bulls? Even with Rose I would say we could take them. The Celtics? They lost Allen and are another year older. Don't see them being better than us. Brooklyn? Good team but have absolutely no depth and Johnson is extremely overpaid and overhyped. At the least if some injury happens or something I don't see us being lower then 4 or 5. If we are healthy,have good team chemistry,play as an actual team and hope DJ distributes the ball like we hope he does, Hibbert doesn't go into his shooting woes that he seems to do once a year, PG gets better, and Danny is just who he is...We are a scary team.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to k_lewis93 For This Useful Post:


  29. #45
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    ... Yes, the Lakers with that team went to the finals... and they got their collective multiple superstar asses handed to them by a team.... WITHOUT superstars. It doesn't happen often, but teams without superstars once in a lot of years win it aswell.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  30. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by k_lewis93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is wrong with some people? We have an even better team then we did last year and we are going to do worse? Come on now...I'm not trying to be rude but just look at the other teams and look at ours. We are very young and are only going to get better. Sure Brooklyn got better but are they better then us? No way. NY will always have problems bc it's NY and too much is always expected of them and when you have Melo on your team you can count on having no ball movement. Having an all-star who carries your team through most of the season will only take you so far. I don't see any reason why we can't be the 2 seed this coming year. I will obviously say that Miami is better then us. That is a very obvious point considering they got better as well. The Bulls? Even with Rose I would say we could take them. The Celtics? They lost Allen and are another year older. Don't see them being better than us. Brooklyn? Good team but have absolutely no depth and Johnson is extremely overpaid and overhyped. At the least if some injury happens or something I don't see us being lower then 4 or 5. If we are healthy,have good team chemistry,play as an actual team and hope DJ distributes the ball like we hope he does, Hibbert doesn't go into his shooting woes that he seems to do once a year, PG gets better, and Danny is just who he is...We are a scary team.
    I do love unrealistic exuberance. We didn't do anything with the starting lineup. Our players are not that young. Of the starters, George is the only one likely to improve and unlikely to become an all star. NY has lots of talent and they will be better this year. Brooklyn did wonders and they have Lopez back, they will be much better this year. Boston has subtracted Allen and added Terry, they got better and they may yet add another player who will make them much better. They also have a player coming back from injury. So, I think all of those teams and Miami are better than the Pacers right now. That could change but I think you pretty much see what you are going to get. I think we can stay ahead of Philly but it isn't a guarantee. The Pacers should be better than the rest. So, yes, we improved but those teams improved more.....

  31. #47
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... Yes, the Lakers with that team went to the finals... and they got their collective multiple superstar asses handed to them by a team.... WITHOUT superstars. It doesn't happen often, but teams without superstars once in a lot of years win it aswell.
    Now I really, really dont wanna be perceived as a Laker apologist, but...that Laker team had serious internal issues...serious. And in spite of that, they probably wouldve won the title anyway if not for Malones injury. The other thing we need to be careful about is this whole perception of that Pistons team not having a superstar. Ok...maybe not...but I think we then jump to the fact you can have any five guys and with a little 'Hoosiers' mentality can win the world title. I despise the Pistons, but that team was a very, very good team with a ton of talent...far more talented than the current Pacers team. Im not Pistons historian but Im reasonably sure everyone of their starters were/are multiple time allstars. And all very much in their prime then. And truly, if not for all of his antics and being psycho, Rasheed Wallace wouldve been considered a superstar. He was that good. And they had a multiple time defensive player of the year. And they had a hall of fame coach. The Pacers have no answers for those last 3 ingredients.

    And as great as that Pistons team was, they got absolutely shellacked very early in the season at home by a much superior team...i mean just drilled....what team was that again? i forget, whatever happened to that team anyway?

  32. #48
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    The Pacers can easily be the second best team in the East next season. Rose is hurt and the Bulls are shedding depth. The Celtics are even older (and they finished with a worse record than the Pacers last year). The Knicks aren't any better- they just got much, much older. Brooklyn has sucked with Deron Williams. Adding an overpaid 31 year old Joe Johnson is no major improvement.

    The Pacers keep their starting five which only has one player over 30 (West) and upgraded their bench.

    That is the reality.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  34. #49

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    The love the Knicks and Nets are getting on this thread very surprising. The Pacers bring in the same starting 5, an improved bench(up for debate), recent playoff experience, and all kinds of momentum from the success of last year. There is no reason I can see or to believe they would play worse than last season. Last year we beat the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc etc.. we play up the competition in the regular season.

    The Nets and Knicks have yet to prove a thing, while the Pacers have. Kidd/Camby pick ups along with a "whole training camp to prepare" under Woodson is not going to solve the Melo/Amare problem and turn them into a 2 seed.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to ReginaldWayne For This Useful Post:


  36. #50
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The love the Knicks and Nets are getting on this thread very surprising. The Pacers bring in the same starting 5, an improved bench(up for debate), recent playoff experience, and all kinds of momentum from the success of last year. There is no reason I can see or to believe they would play worse than last season. Last year we beat the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc etc.. we play up the competition in the regular season.

    The Nets and Knicks have yet to prove a thing, while the Pacers have. Kidd/Camby pick ups along with a "whole training camp to prepare" under Woodson is not going to solve the Melo/Amare problem and turn them into a 2 seed.
    WE lost 3 out of the last 4 games we played against the Knicks/Nets.

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN: Eastern Conference Preview
    By docpaul in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 06:26 PM
  2. Vescey on NBATV eastern conference preview
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 10:12 PM
  3. Eastern Conference to Surpass the Western Conference?
    By Deadshot in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 08:52 PM
  4. The Sports Guy's Eastern Conference Preview
    By Zesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 08:14 PM
  5. Indystar - Eastern Conference preview
    By Mourning in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •