Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Conference preview

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Eastern Conference preview

Yes its a little early to start a preview of the upcoming nba season.. but the FA signings are complete and there are likely to be additional moves (Howard) however overall we have a good idea what the eastern conference will look like.

Contenders:

Miami, Boston, Brooklyn, NY, Indiana, Philly, Chicago?

Playoff teams:
    Milwaukee, Toronto

I can see right now the East going to be a very tough conference to win nextyear. Miami is a given, but it sucks they got stronger w Allen and Lewis.

Boston has another shot and the solid draft picks for them will help keep KG fresh for the postseason.

Brooklyn and NY basically the same team.

Indiana I believe will win 50 and can challenge any of the teams if they play the best basketball they can play. I hope Hibbert is ready for the expectations he will have this season and going forward. I expect an all-star season from 55 and nothing less. pg24 also needs to take strides forward this year if this team will have any hope at defeating any of the contenders mentioned above. I am also confident West is goint to have a very solid year as well.. this might be his last season here so I am going to appreciate what he brings to this team even moreso. I hope Granger has the best season of his career this year.. and he really should, not talking about just offense or points, but overall. Most of all this will also be a big year for Frank V.. full training camp and a year under his belt with this team.

How do you all see the East seedings unfolding.

1 heat
    2 brooklyn
    3 boston
    4 pacers
    5 knicks
    6 philly

and if the bulls have rose back for the playoffs, they are right there with boston and the nets.

damn the eastern conference is stacked. the nba is a joke to me w these superteams.. but what sucks most is it seems to be making the nba more popular. maybe im wrong .. if my team had no chance like hell over half the eastern conference right now.. i doubt i would really care to watch.

nba overall is kinda crooked. anyways. let me know what you preview for the EC.

heat repeat ...... repeat repeat repeat might get real tiresome sooon.

Default Re: Eastern Conference preview

i still don't think brooklyn is good enough for top 2... boston meh no way top 3. I can surely say this... i hope Dwight goes out west bc Hibbert will absolutely dominate...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

by 'contenders', do you mean championship contenders? because i'd say only two teams up there are capable of winning it all (not counting the bulls). i'd say pacers are ahead of boston for the 3 seed. and what about 7th and 8th seeds?

Sports Logo

Miami are the only true contenders in the east right now imo
    Knicks/Nets could be, depends on chemistry and stuff like that
    We won't be contenders, Philly won't, Bulls probably not depends on Rose, and since the Celtics didn't really improve I'd say they won't be contenders either
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Miami are the only true contenders in the east right now imo
    Knicks/Nets could be, depends on chemistry and stuff like that
    We won't be contenders, Philly won't, Bulls probably not depends on Rose, and since the Celtics didn't really improve I'd say they won't be contenders either
    The Celtics improved a lot. Replacing Allen with Terry is a very good move and it will make them better. Chicago will be good with or without Rose. Philly may not be done yet... I think we are the fifth or sixth best team in the East. We could finish higher or lower. A major injury is a major problem with this team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    by 'contenders', do you mean championship contenders? because i'd say only two teams up there are capable of winning it all (not counting the bulls). i'd say pacers are ahead of boston for the 3 seed. and what about 7th and 8th seeds?
    contender meaning championship is the teams realistic goal. obviously the heat are the favorites.. but teams i guess with even an outside chance of winning a championship. cavs for example or detroit are teams that realisticallyhave no hope this upcoming season.

therefore, only the relevant teams.. its kinda how i see the nba now. only 7-8 relevant teams.

My prediction on the East....

1. Heat
    2. Pacers
    3. Knicks
    4. Nets
    5. Celtics
    6. Bulls
    7. Sixers
    8. Bucks/Hawks?

Heat is obvious, but I really believe we are the next biggest contender. We have kept our starting 5 intact, and one more year together will only improve the chemistry between them. We have also improved our bench with DJ and Greene.

Same thing applies to Knicks I believe they pretty much have the same roster and now with a coach that they don't despise?

Nets, though they may have a stacked starting 5 I don't think they will be top three and may actually fall to the 5th seed with Celtics taking the 4th. No chemistry really... no bench... Lopez coming off injury as well.

Celtics losing Allen but adding Terry still makes them dangerous especially with Rondo at the point.

Bulls... All depends on Rose's health.

Sixers, I think will be the same as last year but with a more improved Jrue and Turner.

8th seed.... who knows?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jose31917 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have to be the favorites to win the central. Chicago wont have Rose and lost a lot of depth. 82 games without Rose is much different than 27 games without Rose. Miami of course is at the top. Brooklyn moves up a lot. The Knicks will be better too. Boston will be worse. Losing Bradley hurts more than losing Allen. Jason Terry is good, but he can't replace both. I have doubts about Garnett being able to hold up at center for 82 games as well. I see Miami as the clear favorite with Indiana/Brooklyn/NYK after them.

Orlando is a mess. Philly won't make much noise, but will be good. Chicago will be good enough to be in the playoffs, but not towards the top. I see us falling between the 2 and 4 seed, will be a close battle with Brooklyn and New York IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    The Celtics improved a lot. Replacing Allen with Terry is a very good move and it will make them better. Chicago will be good with or without Rose. Philly may not be done yet... I think we are the fifth or sixth best team in the East. We could finish higher or lower. A major injury is a major problem with this team.
    a major injury is a major problem with every team. hence why the #1 seed chicago bulls lost in the first round against the Sixers.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Heat
    Pacers
    Celtics
    Nets
    Knicks
    Bulls
    Sixers
    ?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Heat
    Pacers
    Celtics
    Nets
    Knicks
    Hawks
    Bulls
    Sixers/Bucks/Magic/Wizards for the 8th
    Last edited by Steagles; 07-14-2012 at 01:39 AM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

1. Heat
    2. Pacers
    3. Celtics
    4. Nets
    5. Knicks
    6. Bulls
    7. Hawks
    8. Wizards or Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    1. Heat
    2. Pacers
    3. Celtics
    4. Nets
    5. Knicks
    6. Bulls
    7. Hawks
    8. Wizards or Bucks
    The Wizards intrigue me. John Wall will be going into year 3, they got Nene last season. They brought in Okafor and Ariza this offseason too. They played us tough at the end of last season and that wasn't us just playing bad. The Nene trade made them better. I think they can definitely compete for the 8th spot.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    1. Heat
    2. Pacers
    3. Celtics
    4. Nets
    5. Knicks
    6. Bulls
    7. Hawks
    8. Wizards or Bucks
    1. Heat
    2. Bulls
    3. Boston
    4. Brooklyn
    5. Knicks
    6. Pacers
    7. Sixers
    8. A race with everyone else for this position but I think the Wizards have a chance to be much better and take this spot.
    Last edited by OlBlu; 07-14-2012 at 09:16 AM.

I think its the Heat and Pacers at the top of the heap. Miami will still finish 1st in the East, but the Pacers will challenge them for the #1 spot. Miami undeniably has the talent, but they actually got much older this offseson. They signed 2 players who are in the twilight of their careers. Don't they still have to sign Chalmers? Infact pretty much every team who is considered a contender got alot older this off Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Joe Johnson, Crash....while the Pacers got young talent entering their primes all while solidifying the bench. I'm not sure where our scoring is going to come from in the front court off the bench, but we got really good from the wing position.

Pacers are bigger, stronger, and longer than pretty much any team in the East. We will probalby lead the East in rebounding this year, and be a top 5 defense.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I think its the Heat and Pacers at the top of the heap. Miami will still finish 1st in the East, but the Pacers will challenge them for the #1 spot. Miami undeniably has the talent, but they actually got much older this offseson. They signed 2 players who are in the twilight of their careers. Don't they still have to sign Chalmers?
    They extended Chalmers last summer, but I agree with what you're saying. Especially with LeBron playing Hercules for 25 play off games last year, along with playing in the Olympics, I could see him coasting a little during the season. Bosh and Wade will both be coming off surgery and none of the role players can win a game by themselves.

I truthfully would not be surprised to see the Pacers end up with the best record in the East next year. Of course I'd still take Miami in a playoff series.

Mood

Pacers will probably be 2nd seed in the East this season, were improved from last year, will get our first training camp with Vogel, and haven't been surpassed imo, by any of the teams behind us.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Mood

1. Miama
    2. Indiana
    3. Boston
    4. Brooklyn
    5. Knicks
    6. Dallas
    7. Chicago
    8. Is a toss up.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

The difference between Miami and everyone else in the East is as wide as the difference between Anthony Davis and everyone else in the 2012 NBA draft.

Keep in mind too that if no one picks up Brendan Haywood in the amnesty auction, he may very well sign with Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    The difference between Miami and everyone else in the East is as wide as the difference between Anthony Davis and everyone else in the 2012 NBA draft.

Keep in mind too that if no one picks up Brendan Haywood in the amnesty auction, he may very well sign with Miami.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmmmm....Its looking like theres gonna be quite a few people pretty disappointed next season. I dearly hope that all of you picking the P's to finish between 2 and 4 are right. But barring some significant catastrophes it really just seems highly unlikely. Miami, Brooklyn, Boston, Chicago and New York are all likely to finish ahead of us. I think 4 would be the absolute best possible finish and likely they finish between 5 to 7.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Hmmmm....Its looking like theres gonna be quite a few people pretty disappointed next season. I dearly hope that all of you picking the P's to finish between 2 and 4 are right. But barring some significant catastrophes it really just seems highly unlikely. Miami, Brooklyn, Boston, Chicago and New York are all likely to finish ahead of us. I think 4 would be the absolute best possible finish and likely they finish between 5 to 7.
    Overly cynical in regards to everyone except Miami. Indiana finished with the equivalent of 50+ last season, better than Boston and New York, Boston, who is another year older, and New York, who not only have greater injury concerns but weren't near to us in standings last year, as well as are missing Shumpert all year. BKN is a bit of a wild card, but as it stands they have no interior defense, and last time that I checked Williams, Hump, and Wallace were the core of the horrible team last year, they are sure to improve, but they will be together for the first time, and have question marks as well.

Do you expect us to regress? All signs point towards likely finishing with a better winning percentage than last season. We've never had a training camp with our head coach, Paul George should improve, West should be around his playoff level/ april form all season long, since he is fully rehabbed from his injury, and we've improved our bench. It isn't like Indy jumped and suprised everyone, they were peaking in April, right as the playoffs were coming around, and put up a much better fight against Miami than New York did, who was absolutely embarrassed.

Chicago doesn't have Rose, and is giving away key players to save money, they aren't finishing ahead of us next season in all likely hood.

An explanation of why you expect us to regress is in order if you are going to be so cynical.

Unless Rose is ready to go from game 1 of the season, there's no reason to believe the Pacers shouldn't be the 2 seed next year in the East. Everyone can just keep waiting for that Knicks team to suddenly come together if they want, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Overly cynical in regards to everyone except Miami. Indiana finished with the equivalent of 50+ last season, better than Boston and New York, Boston, who is another year older, and New York, who not only have greater injury concerns but weren't near to us in standings last year, as well as are missing Shumpert all year. BKN is a bit of a wild card, but as it stands they have no interior defense, and last time that I checked Williams, Hump, and Wallace were the core of the horrible team last year, they are sure to improve, but they will be together for the first time, and have question marks as well.

Do you expect us to regress? All signs point towards likely finishing with a better winning percentage than last season. We've never had a training camp with our head coach, Paul George should improve, West should be around his playoff level/ april form all season long, since he is fully rehabbed from his injury, and we've improved our bench. It isn't like Indy jumped and suprised everyone, they were peaking in April, right as the playoffs were coming around, and put up a much better fight against Miami than New York did, who was absolutely embarrassed.

Chicago doesn't have Rose, and is giving away key players to save money, they aren't finishing ahead of us next season in all likely hood.

An explanation of why you expect us to regress is in order if you are going to be so cynical.
    Cynical? Because I dont agree with you Im being cynical? Lol...k.

Anyway, it appears I simply disagree with a number of things with you. No, first of all I dont think we will win as many games percentage wise as we did last year. I think we were better suited to the shorter season than a number of teams. That will be a non-issue this season. While we did finish ahead of Boston and New York last season, it was very close with Boston and they got off to a horrendous start and were simply decimated with injuries. They will be better this season. Theres a reason why they played in the ECF and were one of the best teams after the Allstar break. They stretched Miami to elimination before bowing in 7 games. As for New York, they too had major issues with both coaching and injuries. I simply think theyre far more talented than us and I think Woodson will continue to have quite a bit of success with so much talent in his first full year with them. Chicago? sorry, but didnt seem to make the difference you would think playing without Rose. Theyre still a talented team and incredibly well coached. And thibs will have a full offseason and training camp to prepare them for a season without Rose. Brooklyn basically adds Lopez and Joe Johnson to arguably the best point guard in the league. Theyre again quite talented and I expect them to be better than us. Miami and Chicago were better than us last year and I dont see anything that leads me to believe that will change. While we might be marginally better, I see the others passing us. As far as Boston was concerned I think they were better than us last year after the first 2 months. or so...Brookly and New York i feel have simply past us talent wise. They both have at least 2 players that are better than our best player. At least.

Somehow relying on Paul George turning into a superstar for the Pacers to have any significant improvement..well...i just dont see it....hes talented....but I believe hes simply too timid...and will forever tease us with potential and talent...I really hope Im wrong...In the end the Pacers made no real significant upgrades...which is truly a shame given all the resoureces they had to do so...and I think we all will look back at this current offseason and think about what might have been...or more importantly...what shouldve been..

Also gotta remember that Miami, Chicago and Boston last year were all veteran teams that had full seasons and training camps together, so the lockout didn't really affect them. That Pacers team had some important new pieces and no training camp and hardly any practice, which significantly hurt offensive execution and some of the trickier defensive stuff. I expect the Pacers to execute far better this year.