Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If this had been a SINGLE trade...

Hybrid View

Default If this had been a SINGLE trade...

All this micro-analyzing of each individual move in a vacuum is getting really irritating. It seems like people can't see the forest for the trees here and are especially ticked about the apparent salary dump of DC/DJ.

However, the net effect of all the moves we've made (which is all I'm interested in really) is exactly the same as if we'd (hypothetically) traded DC and DJ for Mahinmi, Green, and Augustin under the contracts they all just got.

So I have a little thought experiment here. If our FA acquisitions so far had been done in some parallel universe as a single trade with a team that had all of these players - a trade of, say, Collison/Jones + cash for Mahinmi/Green/Augustin, or something similar (I'm not a trade guru) - would people feel differently?

I'm kind of on the fence personally. I feel like overall we've gotten better but I wonder if we maybe slightly underachieved in terms of what we got back.

So I'm wondering: for those feeling negative about one or more of our individual FA moves, would you feel any better about it if it had been one big move (which would force you to consider the overall value of what we gave up and what we got in return?)

(BTW this is obviously hypothetical, I realize the salaries wouldn't match etc., that's not really my point)

-------

Edit: What I'm trying to do is force a big-picture viewpoint here on posters who have been fixated on one or two individual transactions without perhaps considering how they were related...
    Last edited by rabid; 07-13-2012 at 06:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If this had been a SINGLE trade...

Just because you make a couple of good moves does not mean you should make a horrible one to "even things out."

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

EDIT: So what could have been done, that we didn't do, to make us compete for a championship this year?

I mean you could have made the same argument in any given year - "this team isn't good enought to win a championship", but was it possible this year? Is it not enough to get progressively better each year?

Not a rhetorical question BTW, I'm geniunely curious..
    Last edited by rabid; 07-13-2012 at 07:01 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EDIT: So what could have been done, that we didn't do, to make us compete for a championship this year?
    Add Brand or Scola.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Add Brand or Scola.
    I don't disagree with this. But if this is the only thing you have, then I'm fine with that.

We have to leave a LITTLE bit of wiggle room to re-sign guys and make other moves in the next couple years if we're going to avoid the luxury tax, which I'm guessing Simon has zero interest in paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Just because you make a couple of good moves does not mean you should make a horrible one to "even things out."
    What's so horrible about it? I fail to see it. We got a backup center on a mild contract, and DC is not a star. Suddenly everyone is acting like our backup PG that struggled to defend, distribute and made bad decisions on fast breaks is suddenly worth of holding onto to snag something spectacular. I just don't get it. Collison has been 'meh'. Dahntay was 'meh', and "omg that's terrible" half the time.

This sudden belief that either was going to command some supreme price is kinda silly.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    What's so horrible about it? I fail to see it. We got a backup center on a mild contract, and DC is not a star. Suddenly everyone is acting like our backup PG that struggled to defend, distribute and made bad decisions on fast breaks is suddenly worth of holding onto to snag something spectacular. I just don't get it. Collison has been 'meh'. Dahntay was 'meh', and "omg that's terrible" half the time.

This sudden belief that either was going to command some supreme price is kinda silly.
    If anything, DC's stock went up due to his performance in the Miami series.

For this trade to be a win, Ian is going to have to be a LOT better than I think he is.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Banned

For this trade to be a win, Ian is going to have to be a LOT better than I think he is.
    I was OK with the trade until I got to read more about Mahinmi and got to hear the interview of people from Dallas, I was also hoping that the cap space we gained with the trade was going to net us Scola or Brand so that didn't happen so I'm down on the trade now.

edit: And also now if you look at the team, I don't think we have any young players that people want, Mahinmi with a 4 years contract? no, Green with a 3 years contract? no, Tyler? hell no, Plumlee? please, Pendergraph? lol, Lance? maybe?, now we don't have cap space or pieces to trade.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 07-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.

According to who? You? Are you privy to all that happened in the office? You know what front offices think about Collison?

I fail to see how one series against a team with a known weakness at PG, and very bad backup PG (Duhon), who DC harassed into making mistakes suddenly makes him some enviable piece. When DC can harass Deron, Nash, Rondo and CP3 into mistakes maybe you've got something.

You are assuming way, way too much.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    According to who? You? Are you privy to all that happened in the office? You know what front offices think about Collison?

I fail to see how one series against a team with a known weakness at PG, and very bad backup PG (Duhon), who DC harassed into making mistakes suddenly makes him some enviable piece. When DC can harass Deron, Nash, Rondo and CP3 into mistakes maybe you've got something.

You are assuming way, way too much.
    It's just common sense. It wasn't long ago that DC was being touted as a possible replacement for CP3.

Players have "value memory," especially in the NBA. Hell, the Lakers are trying to get JO, who has been just terrible for at least two years now.

Wait a minute. Is this not something called "the Croshere effect"? We know where that got us. If anything, it has led us to believe that we want to see consistently good performance over a period of time, and not just in a single playoff series, before we start to get all warm and giggly.

Remember the saying "the sun shines even on a dog's arse one day". The Miami series may very well have been Collison's "one day".

I was very high on the acquisition of Collison, and I loved Croshere. But sadly neither ever showed us consistently the glimpse of promise that they teased us with in the playoffs.

I am in the camp that believes that, taken as a whole, our recent acquisitions have served us well to improve our bench while keeping both our total salaries and roster size to a manageable level that will still accommodate additional personnel.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

To answer the question, I think it makes us maybe slightly better overall (would have been significantly worse if we hadn't gotten Augustin). However, it isn't enough to compete for a championship, so I have to question whether TPTB are content with mearly being a highly-seeded playoff team. I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't sit well with me.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Shade the whole point of this thread is to try and force you to consider these moves COLLECTIVELY as if they were a single move.

I agree that by itself the DC/DJ for Mahinmi trade does not look great.

But that salary dump allowed us to sign Green and Augustin without really affecting our cap. This is my whole point, that move wasn't done in a vacuum. To really evaluate what we did you kind of have to judge all the moves together IMO...

Also, that salary dump allowed us to sign Green and Augustin without really affecting our cap. This is my whole point, that move wasn't done in a vacuum. To really evaluate what we did you kind of have to judge all the moves together IMO...
    We didn't even have a deal worked out with Augustin when the trade went down. Nor Green either, I believe.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We didn't even have a deal worked out with Augustin when the trade went down. Nor Green either, I believe.
    We don't know that, do we?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    We don't know that, do we?
    We know that nothing was worked out with Augustin prior to the trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

well we know we were trying to trade for Augustin at the same time (multiple writers said this). Also the charlotte beat writer soon came out saying how they would most likely be withdrawing their offer to Augustin. And Pritchard said no more than 5 mins went past in him becoming a UFA to being contacted by our FO. If the beat writer knows they will withdraw their offer, so does the Pacers FO, especially when they were trying to trade him. thats why we were first to talk to him and talked to him immediately.

The chances of us not getting Augustin were slim to none after the DC trade. The Pacers were all over Augustin, whether it be via trade our free agency.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We know he wasn't officially signed, but what have you read that actually indicates that they weren't in any sort of negotiations with him before they pulled the trigger on this deal? Maybe I've missed something, but the fact that the two deals happened within a day of each other makes me think that the Augustin deal was as good as done before the Dallas deal was made.

You guys are kind of proving my point in that you're refusing to consider these moves as pieces of a whole strategy. Instead you're analyzing each one as if they're not related. Even as a pretty naive observer these moves look somewhat coordinated to me... and doesn't Pritchard have a big reputation for these "domino"-type moves?

Like I said, forest... trees...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

You guys are kind of proving my point in that you're refusing to consider these moves as pieces of a whole strategy. Instead you're analyzing each one as if they're not related. Even as a pretty naive observer these moves look somewhat coordinated to me... and doesn't Pritchard have a big reputation for these "domino"-type moves?

Just because you can see the forest for the trees doesn't mean you have to cut down a few perfectly good trees in the process.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Just because you can see the forest for the trees doesn't mean you have to cut down a few perfectly good trees in the process.
    You can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs!

Banned

Actually the more I think about the whole picture the more it sucks, I was happy about the trade yesterday because I thought something else was coming next, now we used the whole cap space and are pretty close to what we had before, now we don't even have cap space to make anything else happen so for the mean time we are set until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Actually the more I think about the whole picture the more it sucks, I was happy about the trade yesterday because I thought something else was coming next, now we used the whole cap space and are pretty close to what we had before, now we don't even have cap space to make anything else happen so for the mean time we are set until next year.
    The lack of cap space is due to the Hill/Hibbert signings though, not these other moves. People seem to be forgetting that.

Anyway, this team is most certainly different, and maybe better. Only time will tell, you can like or dislike the moves but I fail to see how anyone can know one way or the other.

Everyone we gave up had question marks, but the guys we got back all have some too. Can Mahinmi play PF? Which I think would be huge. Is Gerald Green a half season wonder? Will being much further down on the offensive totem pole increase Augustin's efficiency?

We really don't know, but we can guess.

So you don't think we had thought about either of those moves when we did the Dallas trade? Everything happened within a day or two right?